PDA

View Full Version : Where did the time go?

LakeJay
06-15-2005, 12:10 PM
I just realized that today is my 7 year anniversary working here :eek: ...Shoot me.

okay...don't do that but you get the point.

tina1979
06-15-2005, 12:13 PM
yeah. i wasted 5 years at a place that I practicly ran myself, but my boss wouldn't give me any type of title, I made 8.50 because she didn't give me two raises because of "budgeting" and she expected me to drop whatever I was doing to cover her shifts if she wanted to do something or work doubles when she took her vacations. Time flys when you are having fun :googly:

Kitty
06-15-2005, 12:39 PM
If I don't get a raise after one year - I LEAVE. I dunno, I just can't stay in a place that is treating me like shit and I am a fucking pro-active machine when looking for a new job.

Tina - is that the job you're at now?

Winter Storm
06-15-2005, 12:51 PM
Wow, I've never stayed at any job that long. The longest I've ever worked anywhere was 3 years and I"m coming up on 3 years here this fall.

That's not a bad thing, though. Looks good on a resume, shows you're not a job hopper, like I was.

LakeJay
06-15-2005, 12:56 PM
That's not a bad thing, though. Looks good on a resume, shows you're not a job hopper, like I was.

You're right...but I'm figuring I probably should have been a job hopper or at least hopped once already.

tina1979
06-15-2005, 12:57 PM
Tina - is that the job you're at now?
nope! Thank God!!!

Kitty
06-15-2005, 12:58 PM
nope! Thank God!!!

Good to hear!

mishl982
06-15-2005, 01:13 PM
Wow 7 years. The other day I was excited that it's already been 8 1/2 MONTHS at my current job. I'm shooting for working at my company for years and years. The most I ever stayed at a job was 2 years.

Kitty
06-15-2005, 01:15 PM
Wow 7 years. The other day I was excited that it's already been 8 1/2 MONTHS at my current job. I'm shooting for working at my company for years and years. The most I ever stayed at a job was 2 years.

Really? You plan to stay there a long time?

shimmer728
06-15-2005, 01:17 PM
I was at my last job for 20 months. This one I've had a year. But I'm just shy of 25, so I think that's pretty normal.

wordsmith
06-15-2005, 02:13 PM
I'm coming up on four. When I started here, the plan was to work here 3 to 5, so I'm pretty much right on target for looking for something else. It's served its purpose.

tina1979
06-15-2005, 02:17 PM
I've been at my current job for 2 now

Mad Dawg
06-15-2005, 02:19 PM
Coming up on my 5 year anniversary this fall. If I make it, I get my choice of a nifty desktop clock or a snazzy letterman jacket. I will also be 100% vested in my original options, (begin sarcasm) which is awesome since they are only twice the price of what the stock trades for today (end sarcasm)!

coll214
06-15-2005, 02:20 PM
I'll be in the same job 4 years Aug. 1. Not for lack of trying for something else; but they are making it harder and harder to job hop in this fine institution. I'll find something though. but hey if you LIKE your job, it's good to be there awhile!

coll214
06-15-2005, 02:21 PM
Coming up on my 5 year anniversary this fall. If I make it, I get my choice of a nifty desktop clock or a snazzy letterman jacket. I will also be 100% vested in my original options, (begin sarcasm) which is awesome since they are only twice the price of what the stock trades for today (end sarcasm)!
LOL, at five years I get a keychain. Ohhh, hold the excitement. Clocks are for 10 years.

ChicagoChad
06-15-2005, 02:36 PM
What is the shortest amount of time any of you have spent at a "real job?" Has anyone been hopping around from job to job a lot lately? If so, how many hops and in what time frame?

I have had 2 different jobs in 2 years since graduating college, and now I am looking to jump again!

wordsmith
06-15-2005, 02:40 PM
My shortest tenure at a post-college job was two years.

Morgan81
06-15-2005, 02:44 PM
Christ... this thread just made me realize I've been here (in one function or another) for 6 years in five days. Ughhh........

Mad Dawg
06-15-2005, 02:51 PM
Shortest job stint or shortest employer stint? I had one job for only 5 months, but I was with that employer for 2+ years. Shortest stint with a single employer was 7 months in a record store. It was a second job I picked up in the evenings after graduating college. I had been so busy in college with being a full-time student, part-time TA and full-time employee that I found myself bored in the evenings after my 9-5 job. I figured it would keep me busy and put some extra money toward paying off my student loans.

analogman
06-15-2005, 03:22 PM
What a timely thread LakeJay! Today is my anniversary at my employer as well. I got a nice Pulsar watch with company logo :D

I've been here 5 years and plan to work here my entire career :)

LakeJay
06-15-2005, 04:08 PM
What a timely thread LakeJay! Today is my anniversary at my employer as well. I got a nice Pulsar watch with company logo :D

I've been here 5 years and plan to work here my entire career :)

I got jackshit. But I don't expect much from this place anymore.

How soon did people start working after graduation? I started working exactly 1 month after.

Morgan81
06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
I got jackshit. But I don't expect much from this place anymore.

How soon did people start working after graduation? I started working exactly 1 month after.

Hey, my company got me the same thing!!

I've been here since I graduated High School.... started in the warehouse, went to the LAN team, now VC, hee-haw.

analogman
06-15-2005, 04:21 PM
10 days. That includes time to move from Texas to California. I was poor and needed money ASAP. I wish I had some time to bum around and relax after graduating.

steph78
06-15-2005, 05:55 PM
My three year anniversary is this month! I am hoping for a big raise, I've really taken on a lot more responsibilities around here over the course of the last year. My company is pretty small, we don't get stuff for our anniversaries, we just get a card and taken out to lunch for our review.

The shortest time I ever worked anywhere was four months - the first job I had out of college. It was one of the most respected firms in my field in the Atlanta area and I was so excited about working there, but they treated me pretty poorly. I got another offer from the company I work for now (for more money even) after being at the first place several months, and jumped at the chance to switch firms - haven't been sorry, either. Here I am treated MUCH better, given work that challenges me, and people are much friendlier. Other than that, all I've ever had were summer jobs or internships with predetermined start and end dates (mostly about three months each, although one place invited me back to work another month during my winter break).