PDA

View Full Version : What online job sites do you use?

MasAndrew
06-23-2005, 01:43 PM
I was wondering what are the good job search sites that you people use? I was wondering because I heard the sites - “monster.com” and “craigslist.org” being thrown around. Are there any good ones out there besides those two?

wordsmith
06-23-2005, 01:44 PM
I use www.idealist.org almost exclusively. It may not be quite what you're looking for, though.

MasAndrew
06-23-2005, 01:50 PM
I use www.idealist.org almost exclusively. It may not be quite what you're looking for, though.

why's that if I might ask?

24forever
06-23-2005, 01:52 PM
I also use idealist, but craigslist isn't that great in my opinion. I've used Monster and careerworks.com. Also, I live in Boston, so boston.com has a lot of listings, where ever you are they probably have something for the local paper.

kitalyn414
06-23-2005, 01:54 PM
good post.

can i just say i hate monster.com. the vast majority of the listings are from temp agencies and it is SUCH a pain in the ass to sift through.

i use craigslist... once in a while something decent pops up.

LakeJay
06-23-2005, 01:57 PM
There is also hotjobs through yahoo and careerbuilder.com.

kitalyn414
06-23-2005, 01:59 PM
words - i'm looking on idealist right now. great site!!! it's funny cause the other category i look at on craigslist besides entertainment is non-profit. one bummer is that most of these jobs are asking for people who are bilingual. guess that's LA for you.

heatherf
06-23-2005, 02:04 PM
flipdog.com

(and make sure you remove the little checkmark for temp agencies)

cornflakegirl
06-23-2005, 02:18 PM
just checked out flipdog. they have merged with monster. :(

kitalyn414
06-23-2005, 02:29 PM
just checked out flipdog. they have merged with monster. :(
yeah.... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and no option to leave out agencies. fuckers. :mad:

wordsmith
06-23-2005, 02:52 PM
why's that if I might ask?

Because it's a nonprofit careers database, and I thought you were looking for more temp type work.

wordsmith
06-23-2005, 02:54 PM
words - i'm looking on idealist right now. great site!!! it's funny cause the other category i look at on craigslist besides entertainment is non-profit. one bummer is that most of these jobs are asking for people who are bilingual. guess that's LA for you.

That's most of the jobs on there regardless of location. Most of the people benefitting from the services the agencies provide are non-English speakers. Most either say prefers or requires bilingual at the least. Wish I'd been good at Spanish.

winneythepooh7
06-23-2005, 03:16 PM
I live in NYC. The sites I frequent are:

www.nytimes.com
www.idealist.org (many jobs you do not need a 2nd lang for in NYC)
www.socialservice.com
www.socialserviceforum.com
www.citylimits.org
www.naswnyc.org
www.craigslist.org (although I agree you gotta skim through the junk)

While most of these list Social Work related stuff, you can also find stuff that you do not have to have a SW degree per se to do. There is often admin/executive asst-type stuff on these sites, along with research positions, teaching, etc.

shimmer728
06-23-2005, 04:51 PM
www.journalismjobs.com. I will have to check out idealist.com, though. I would be interested in looking into non-profit marketing at some point.....seems like something I might like, should I ever tire of the newspaper biz.

Angyl
06-23-2005, 04:54 PM
www.journalismjobs.com. I will have to check out idealist.com, though. I would be interested in looking into non-profit marketing at some point.....seems like something I might like, should I ever tire of the newspaper biz.

www.mediabistro.com as well for j-jobs. though I like journalism jobs better. If you want magazines www.ed2010.com is pretty good.

Idealist.com is really cool. thanks words, I've never heard of it before...and I'm sorta looking into that industry.

creolegirl
06-23-2005, 05:03 PM
thanks 4 posting the websites

MasAndrew
06-23-2005, 06:00 PM
thanks 4 posting the websites

yes, thanks much! :heehee:

heatherf
06-23-2005, 06:10 PM
yeah.... BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! and no option to leave out agencies. fuckers. :mad:

What? Bastards!

Oh, and my personal fave for finding jobs: GOOGLE!

Freaking google what you are looking for, say:

marketing assistant employment san diego ca

or

pimp now hiring seattle wa

TOTALLY WORKS.

MollyMe
06-23-2005, 06:22 PM
I have used..

Monster.com (lots of crap)
Dice (engineering jobs)
USAJobs
Alumni career page for my school