PDA

View Full Version : Deep Tissue Massage

Kitty
06-27-2005, 02:02 PM
I heard about these recently and I really wanted to get one. However, I heard that you actually bruise quite a bit after the massage and that kind of freaked me out.

Has anyone had one? What has been your experience?

biodork
06-27-2005, 02:08 PM
They hurt but you feel SOOO good afterwards...and I don't think I was necessarily bruised but I was definitely sore to the touch. They really get in there to work things out. You won't be relaxed. The more water you drink though after the massage the better you will feel the next day.

Kitty
06-27-2005, 02:10 PM
So, it doesn't relax you? Part of the problem for me is that I carry a shitload of tension in my upper back and I feel like it is ALWAYS tense. I was thinking it would help me relax those muscles to get the deep tissue.

MetFanL
06-27-2005, 02:49 PM
I bruise easily and I looked like I got the sh*t beat out of me after a deep tissue massage.

I carry tension in my shoulders, too, but I've found that I massage I get w/ my facials is enough for me. I found just find a place that gives an upper body massage w/ your facial and do the 2 birds, one stone thing...

Kitty
06-27-2005, 02:50 PM
I bruise easily and I looked like I got the sh*t beat out of me after a deep tissue massage.

I carry tension in my shoulders, too, but I've found that I massage I get w/ my facials is enough for me. I found just find a place that gives an upper body massage w/ your facial and do the 2 birds, one stone thing...

Yeah, I bruise super easily too. AND I only want an upper body massage.

maybe i'll just go w/ a regular one.

biodork
06-27-2005, 03:08 PM
So, it doesn't relax you? Part of the problem for me is that I carry a shitload of tension in my upper back and I feel like it is ALWAYS tense. I was thinking it would help me relax those muscles to get the deep tissue.
Well it depends, if you want to just feel relaxed later, then go with a regular massage. But if you want to actually work out the knots in your back more permanently then go for deep tissue.

Bugsey34
06-27-2005, 03:22 PM
I got a deep tissue massage while I was in Costa Rica last month. I had gone on a horse back riding tour two days before, after having not rode in 10 years, and I was in sorry shape. My whole body hurt. But especially around my shoulder for some reason, so she gave me a deep tissue massage. I will say, it hurt pretty bad. So it made the massage not really relaxing.

But it did take all the pain away, it was a little tender but in a day I felt great with no pain.

midtwenty
06-27-2005, 03:30 PM
The more water you drink though after the massage the better you will feel the next day.
Pay special attention to what bio said. This is true after any massage, but the longer or deeper the massage, the more critical it is.

LakeJay
06-27-2005, 04:17 PM
I'm confused. What exactly distinguishes a deep tissue massage from other types of massages ie. shiatsu, swedish, sports, etc.?
I just had a massage last week. I think it was deep tissue massage. I needed help getting knots out in my lower back. I felt better but I don't think the knots are completely gone.

kitalyn414
06-27-2005, 04:29 PM
i get deep tissue massages pretty regularly. all my tension is in my upper back and neck, so i have to specify that i ONLY want them to touch those areas. the muscles are stiff enough, that i can take the pressure. deep tissue on the arms and legs... OUCH!!

anyway..i bruise pretty easily. i bruised on my arms once from it, but not ever on my shoulders.

its not relaxing... but i use it for pain management.

another option is trigger point- i think that is way more painful that deep tissue, but also more effective. sadly they don't do trigger point at the cheapy massage place i go to.

heatherf
06-27-2005, 05:19 PM
lucky me, one of my best friends went to massage school and so did my cousin.....so I get free massages all the time. This also means that I am "homework" to them.

Anyway, my best friend once gave me a glut-release....as in butt muscle. Practically using her elbows the whole time on my ass, and my God it hurt like a mother SO badly, but it was SUCH a good pain. I highly recommend to anyone to get someone (your significant other pref) to massage your butt. You have NO idea how sore it is from your everyday use. The glut release hurt badly, felt so good, and yes the next day I had bruises on my ass.

Overall though, I don't think we give our bodies enough physical attention. It's amazing at how if you just get one foot well massaged, the other foot kinda moans/aches because it did not get the same treatment. It's SO important to rub and be rubbed, whether it's hands (FEELS SO GOOD), feet, back, head, arms, legs or butt.

biodork
06-27-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm confused. What exactly distinguishes a deep tissue massage from other types of massages ie. shiatsu, swedish, sports, etc.?
I just had a massage last week. I think it was deep tissue massage. I needed help getting knots out in my lower back. I felt better but I don't think the knots are completely gone.
Basically deep tissue means they are going to be digging DEEP into your muscles to get out the knots and kinks, and releases a lot of lactic acid build-up (what happens when you get knots, hence the need for water) You know its deep tissue when you come out of the massage not relaxed at all, but more in pain because they have worked out a lot. Regular massages are meant to be more relaxing. And I believe the differences between like swedish or shiatsu etc are how they actually do the massage motions, like shiatsu massages are circular in motion.

LakeJay
06-27-2005, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I'm not sure what I got then. I mean it was painful while I was getting the massage but after it was done I felt better. I have crazy knots in my lower back right now and it seems to be on and off. I played a basketball game yesterday and it felt fine. Today I made a weird movement and it hurt. I even dread sneezing or coughing. I'm wondering if I should get another massage. I assume if I do more stretching exercises that would also help release some of the lactic acid as well...maybe not as good as a massage though.