PDA

View Full Version : Getting set-up

stonemonkey
06-29-2005, 06:48 AM
Has anyone been set-up with another person by their friends? Does it work? Recipe for disaster?

Morgan81
06-29-2005, 07:06 AM
Disaster.
At least in my case where people think they know me but have no clue about who I am.

meatwad
06-29-2005, 07:20 AM
My friends tried a couple of times, but I really don't like the idea of not knowing someone at all and instantly being thrown into a date like that.

tina1979
06-29-2005, 07:52 AM
I was set up once accidently. My best friend and I were taking this guy she knew (whom I hadn't met up to that point) to let him meet this other girl. Turns out he and I had more in comman and we dated for quite awhile.

temptation
06-29-2005, 08:39 AM
Yup, the girl was gorgeous but that was about it.

shimmer728
06-29-2005, 09:18 AM
Yes. It's never worked for me. But that's just me......I'd personally give it a try again. You never know.

Brillo25
06-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Disaster.
At least in my case where people think they know me but have no clue about who I am.

Exactly. I've had set ups where she was picked out because she seems "a lot like me," but the assumption of what I'm looking for and the assessment of who I am were way off.

embrassezla
06-29-2005, 09:58 AM
i was set up and it was a perfect match. the reasons why i think that my situation worked are:
1.) i didnt ask to be set up, so my friend wasn't actively looking for someone to set me up with
2.) i was set up by someone who knows me VERY well
3.) she set me up with someone she also knew VERY well.
4.) we were set up because she had an "i can't believe i didnt think of it before, but you and M would be perfect together" epiphany

off-hand set ups are probably no better than random meetings in bars. but if a close friends chooses to set you up with someone they know well, then the odds are greater.

jdt141
06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
hasn't worked in my experience

meet up with groups of friends, have them bring other friends. this seems to be the most effective technique in meeting new people.

note: this is not effective if you do not have friends. If you've just relocated, i think you're terminally screwed... and not in the way we'd all like to be. :twisted:

Bugsey34
06-29-2005, 10:03 AM
Freaking disaster in my case. Sometimes I think friends do it because they're in long term relationships themselves and are bored so they prefer to tinker with their single friend's lives.

I do know some people that have found serious relationships through friends, but it never seems to be a set-up per se, just they met them casually.

aj030201
06-29-2005, 10:08 AM
Oh man....... this has never worked for me, I swear all my friends in LTR's thinig that because you are single you are not happy so they always try to set you up.

Best story, My friend set both me and another one of my friends up with two of his gf's friends. Well I'm not all about looks but mine was supposed to look like Janet Jackson, and she looked like Freddy Jackson (name that movie but it happened to me). We were walking down the streets of Chicago and my other friends date seen a tire for the dumpster and went and checked to see if it fit her car......... oh man that was an experience!

tina1979
06-29-2005, 10:41 AM
We were walking down the streets of Chicago and my other friends date seen a tire for the dumpster and went and checked to see if it fit her car......... oh man that was an experience!
LOL!!!!
I refer you to my thread in december near christmas. http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6970
Keep in mind this was not an actual set up, but more of a my sister wanted me to go to this thing and a guy that worked with her then bf needed a date. you'll laugh your ass off when you get to the actual date part.

aj030201
06-29-2005, 10:48 AM
LOL!!!!
I refer you to my thread in december near christmas. http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6970
Keep in mind this was not an actual set up, but more of a my sister wanted me to go to this thing and a guy that worked with her then bf needed a date. you'll laugh your ass off when you get to the actual date part.

Ouch!!!! You got set up with Joe Dirt! Thats hilarious.

Winter Storm
06-29-2005, 11:08 AM
I've been setup twice and both times, it was an annoying situation because things didn't work out with either guy, but because we had mutual friends, I still have to hang out with them occassionally.

Crap!

tina1979
06-29-2005, 11:12 AM
Ouch!!!! You got set up with Joe Dirt! Thats hilarious.
yeah. I still have nightmares. I have since found out that he still talks about me and freaked out when he found out I hooked up with another guy that works there now. Apparently he wants details on what little sex life we had. Not only that, apparently dude is proud that he was on the news once.....for picking up a prostitute. :eek: When I found that out I nearly killed my sister's now ex.

labrat2111
06-29-2005, 12:11 PM
My friends have made the attempt to see me up before and it's never worked out. It's never been a disaster either and I do know at least one person as a friend that they tried to set me up with. Mostly I think it didn't work just because they didn't know me or the person they set me up with as well as they needed to for it to work.

mishl982
06-29-2005, 12:12 PM
Until SOMEONE here rejected my attempt to set her up :evil: , I have had a 100% success rate at semi-setting people up... The one time I tried to set two really good friends of mine up, they got married, and I am damn proud of that. :huge:
Hey! :p

Like I told you Kelly, I'm just not a fan of being set up, but I do appreciate the gesture. I just am not into it because 1. some people's judgements I don't trust (not yours Kelly, I'm talking about someone like my AUNT!), 2. I feel pressured to like the person because I don't want to offend the person trying to set me up, making the whole situation akward or 3. the person setting it up hypes the person up a lot, I get all excited, then get disppointed when the guy is not at all like what he was described as.

I've gone once on a setup, but it was more of a "this guy is bored and wants to take a girl out" so I was nominated. It turned out ok, but then he put the moves on too fast and I found out that he only wanted to be with me for the sake of having a girlfriend. :googly:

GetMeOuttaDC
06-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Hey! :p

Like I told you Kelly, I'm just not a fan of being set up

:evil: hee hee hee :evil:

I totally understand, no worries... I don't know how I'd feel about being set up. I just hadn't made fun of anyone today, and saw the opportunity. :evil:

mishl982
06-29-2005, 12:17 PM
:evil: hee hee hee :evil:

I totally understand, no worries... I don't know how I'd feel about being set up. I just hadn't made fun of anyone today, and saw the opportunity. :evil:
Ok, ok, I lied. I don't trust your judgement at all!!! :evil:

temptation
06-29-2005, 01:19 PM
By the way, what the heck is a nice guy anyway? I think my friends are nice guys. I mean I wouldn't surround myself with people who I didn't think were nice. Sure they can be a bit cocky but they also have big personalities, big hearts and know how to have a good time....and yes they have made mistakes with women....so does that automatically make them "bad boys"?

Like Shimmer said, a lot of so called nice guys are not that nice. Personally, I can't stand wimpy guys who complain all the time. They annoy the sh*t out of me. Apparently, it annoys women too!

hopeless
06-29-2005, 01:27 PM
The first time I was set-up was from my mother & as a result was a major disaster, plus the guy was a real asshole in the end. The second I've been set up was from my mom's friend of a friend. I have no clue how she knew my name since my mother doesn't even know her. Anyway I was set up the second time. The guy was nice, but there was just no chemistry, absolutely nothing. I e-mailed him the next day thanking him for paying dinner & never heard from him again. I wasn't upset & I could of given him a chance, but I figure why waste my time plus he said it would be nice if we hung out as friends.

KeepRockin
06-29-2005, 01:41 PM
Back in November, I invited a friend to a party at my brother's apartment and she wound up with a good friend of his. I didn't intentionally mean to set them up, but it's still working out for them! :huge:

The same girl hooked me up with a friend of hers that was moving back home after being away for a few years- had a job across the country. We met, had an amazing time together, shared many intimate and fun moments and great conversation...and then he broke up with me with little explanation. :cry:

I wouldn't call it a disaster- I'm glad we were set up. The matchmaker's been great about being there for me and not taking sides...she sees that I'm hurt and I need to rant about him. He hasn't been in touch with her since shortly after he broke up with me, but I'm sure it's because he knows he screwed up something that she believed in. :sad:

GetMeOuttaDC
06-29-2005, 02:20 PM
Ok, ok, I lied. I don't trust your judgement at all!!! :evil:
Hmm... well, that makes me trust your judgement even more! :huge: :evil: :lol:

shimmer728
06-29-2005, 02:34 PM
My grandmother set me up once, and it was with the most boring guy ever. Man, that was one awkward date. I had forgotten all about it until this thread.

and1grad
06-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Setting up QLC'ers is DIFFICULT. :evil: I'm not sure even Hitch can do it.

GetMeOuttaDC
06-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Setting up QLC'ers is DIFFICULT. :evil: I'm not sure even Hitch can do it.

Fine, then, I won't set you up with JLo.... she was asking about you the other day, too...

AzureMoogle
06-29-2005, 11:42 PM
I don't see why not. But I'd approach it the same way as if I met the person through normal means. Try to meet the person and talk to him/her before you commit on a date. And I'd probably only consider it through my peers. Not a parent or older.

stonemonkey, why do you ask? ;)

stonemonkey
06-29-2005, 11:55 PM
stonemonkey, why do you ask? ;)

uh...I have a friend from out of town who might be trying to set me up with his girlfriend's friend. I don't know if he actually is. He briefly mentioned it last time he was here and now I get a message from him saying that he's coming back to visit with 'a couple of friends'.

Kitty
06-29-2005, 11:58 PM
I have never been set up that I can think of.

However, my ex-boss set up one guy at our work w/ her friend and now they are getting married. Crazy. So, just goes to show ya.

ankh_23
06-30-2005, 02:09 AM
It has never worked for me personally, but I think it's always worth a shot. You never know, you might actually have a really great time.

I have learned that when someone says they found someone perfect for me I should be very afraid though. I've had a couple times when my friends introduced me to people hoping we would get together and the person was too afraid to even talk to me. :googly: