PDA

View Full Version : More Racial BS

temptation
06-30-2005, 04:32 PM
Well the racial bias thread got me thinking about my personal experiences and my friends' experiences and I can honestly say that I've dealt with lots of BS.

-It was only two years ago that I bunch of dudes drove by me and called me a chinky !$@#! etc, etc. I was just hoping that they were gonna stop the car and take it to a physical level but as usual, they chickened out.

-Also, another friend of mine had "go home n*gger" written on his car in Little Italy cuz he was dating a white girl.

-When I lived in the U.S. in 2000 I had a few other overtly racist episodes.

Keep in mind that both cities I lived in are multicultural cities. I wonder how many ppl don't say anything to me cuz they are afraid that I will do them bodily harm as opposed to actually beleiving that racism is wrong.

My point is that so many ppl I meet are oblivious to racism. I was talking to a girl a while back and she told me that racism didn't exist in Canada! I generally don't let it get to me but it's sad to think that we have to endure this sh*t in 2005.

J-girl
06-30-2005, 04:34 PM
Also, another friend of mine had "go home n*gger" written on his car in Little Italy cuz he was dating a white girl

Ironical someone would do that in Little Italy!

Angyl
06-30-2005, 04:34 PM
I used to work at JCPenney in HS and college, and they made me follow around any minority that walked in to see if they were shoplifting. Didn't matter if tehy were my mom's friends, they were suspect.

In the Midwest, i think a lot of it is ignorance. but you get me talking about race issues and we'll still be talkng trhee months later.

summergold
06-30-2005, 04:37 PM
I just read this article today. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050630/ap_on_re_us/baseball_bat_attack;_ylt=AlFfBUwEn_JLtLIRkGz.UJms0 NUE ( NYC hate crime)
This is New York. It just goes to show that it happens everywhere, it just rumbles underneath a bit more. I feel like I should go rent Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing"

temptation
06-30-2005, 04:40 PM
I just read this article today. http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050630/ap_on_re_us/baseball_bat_attack;_ylt=AlFfBUwEn_JLtLIRkGz.UJms0 NUE ( NYC hate crime)
This is New York. It just goes to show that it happens everywhere, it just rumbles underneath a bit more. I feel like I should go rent Spike Lee's "Do The Right Thing"

Your right, my experiences were all in the Northeast...

spokes
06-30-2005, 04:41 PM
i don't think i'd go as far as to say that racism does not exsist in canada, it exsists, but perhaps not the the extent that it might be in other places.

wordsmith
06-30-2005, 04:42 PM
It DOES happen everywhere. My town is about half-Hispanic (the other half being non-Hispanic caucasian, and other ethnicities negligibly represented). Still doesn't stop racial profiling, and 99% of our police report each week being filled with Mexican names. Don't even TELL me the Mexican community is the only one breaking laws.

And, as an aside, I just DID rewatch "Do the Right Thing."

paiger81
06-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Can I just say this is the WIERDEST thread ever. Yeah, I had really severely bad run ins with the KKK(in the SOUTH, mind you) but this thread looks to have the makings of "who can top my racial injustice" seems a little odd to me.

wordsmith
06-30-2005, 04:45 PM
Funny, I don't read it as one-upmanship at all.

summergold
06-30-2005, 04:49 PM
And, as an aside, I just DID rewatch "Do the Right Thing."

"Yo, Mookie! Stay black."

That's such a great movie. Plus, it has Samuel L. Jackson in it.

temptation
06-30-2005, 04:51 PM
Can I just say this is the WIERDEST thread ever. Yeah, I had really severely bad run ins with the KKK(in the SOUTH, mind you) but this thread looks to have the makings of "who can top my racial injustice" seems a little odd to me.

No that wasn't the point of the thread. The thought came to me head and I wrote it down...I'm not looking for pity...I'm happy with who I am. I just feel that sometimes ppl forget that this sh*t happens not too infrequently.

J-girl
06-30-2005, 04:52 PM
To tell you the truth and knock on wood I have never experienced racial bias. Besides the whole job thing in the other thread. Thats just a subconscious issue the wya my dad explained it to me. He said people are more likely to hire their own kind, someone they are already familiar with rather than someone else. I am sure things are getting in multicultural society.

Although racism does exist in Canada upto some extent but you cant really help but pity those idiots.

wordsmith
06-30-2005, 04:54 PM
"Yo, Mookie! Stay black."

That's such a great movie. Plus, it has Samuel L. Jackson in it.

It IS good...and has a lot of people in it who went on to more notice (Rosie Perez, John Turturro, and Martin Lawrence come to mind). Plus great performances by established actors like Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis, and Danny Aiello.

summergold
06-30-2005, 04:59 PM
It IS good...and has a lot of people in it who went on to more notice (Rosie Perez, John Turturro, and Martin Lawrence come to mind). Plus great performances by established actors like Ruby Dee and Ossie Davis, and Danny Aiello.

The beginning with Rosie Perez dancing was crazy. I'm almost jealous that she can feel so comfortable to do that.

Where has Spike Lee been? I don't even remember what his last movie, sorry, last joint was.

and1grad
06-30-2005, 05:03 PM
EVERY. Day.

Bugsey34
06-30-2005, 05:27 PM
The beginning with Rosie Perez dancing was crazy. I'm almost jealous that she can feel so comfortable to do that.

Where has Spike Lee been? I don't even remember what his last movie, sorry, last joint was.

I'm pretty sure the last one was "She Hate Me", which I was about to rent but then had heard so many bad reviews I rented something else.

At the BET awards this week Denzel Washington gave an acceptance speech via satellite from Brooklyn and mentioned he was there filiming with Spike Lee, so something is coming up.

wordsmith
06-30-2005, 05:32 PM
It is "She Hate Me," which tanked.

With all due respect to Spike, I find him to be hit and miss. But I can't take away from "Do the Right Thing." It's amazingly done.

lawyer2be
07-04-2005, 05:29 PM
Racism exists everywhere. you just don't notice it sometimes. I really wasn't exposed to too much of it until i entered the legal field.

ever heard of stormfront and prussian blue? they have a huge following all over the U.S and Canada.

Deadend
07-04-2005, 05:56 PM
ya, I happened across stormfront.org (I think) message board once while looking up something completely non-political. scarey man.

I don't know what J-girl is talking about, but Toronto (being the UN's "most multicultural city in the world") can be a very VERY tense place. Especially with the very strongly introverted nature of the very large indian community. I remember a tow truck drive giving us an anticdote about a sheik guy who had a sword on him when he had to have his car towed. "I don't want to ride with a guy with a sword" vs. "it's cultural an ceramonial". Based on that, I'd side with the driver, but then we went on about how these indian guys were so full of themselves and thought themselves better than white people.

lawyer2be
07-04-2005, 05:59 PM
ya, I happened across stormfront.org (I think) message board once while looking up something completely non-political. scarey man.

I don't know what J-girl is talking about, but Toronto (being the UN's "most multicultural city in the world") can be a very VERY tense place. Especially with the very strongly introverted nature of the very large indian community. I remember a tow truck drive giving us an anticdote about a sheik guy who had a sword on him when he had to have his car towed. "I don't want to ride with a guy with a sword" vs. "it's cultural an ceramonial". Based on that, I'd side with the driver, but then we went on about how these indian guys were so full of themselves and thought themselves better than white people.

so what do you think now of the indian pop. in toronto?

Deadend
07-04-2005, 06:40 PM
so what do you think now of the indian pop. in toronto?

I think the chicks can be crazey! :huge: