PDA

View Full Version : Another Friggin Hurricane??

shannon08
07-08-2005, 08:57 AM
I can not believe that we have to deal with another one of these pain in the ass storms. Last one, Ivan, knocked us on our asses for a long time and some people still have tarps on thier roofs from that one. I don't know if I can handle another 10 days with no power, water, etc.!!! :eek: Anyone else in harm's way down here?? Wish us luck in the next couple days down in good old FL!!

shimmer728
07-08-2005, 09:24 AM
I don't know if you saw my other thread, but I'm headed to North Carolina tomorrow. I hope the hurricane doesn't rain on my parade!

shannon08
07-08-2005, 09:42 AM
I don't know if you saw my other thread, but I'm headed to North Carolina tomorrow. I hope the hurricane doesn't rain on my parade!
Probably not too bad, not nearly as bad as it will be here, prob just a lot of rain! But it won't be until tues or wed more than likely so you should be okay!

paiger81
07-08-2005, 09:50 AM
Are you talking about Dennis? I think he's supposed to hit tomorrow, not Tues Or Wed

shannon08
07-08-2005, 09:59 AM
Are you talking about Dennis? I think he's supposed to hit tomorrow, not Tues Or Wed
oh no, its going to hit us sunday night/monday early AM, but I meant that it wouldn't be doing anything to NC until tues or wed.

lynseymay
07-08-2005, 10:27 AM
Good luck to all of you guys in FL and surrounding areas :)

tina1979
07-08-2005, 10:54 AM
Good luck! I don't think I could handle the stress of maybe losing everything I had year after year. I'm scared to death of tornados and they don't seem to happen with as much regularity as a hurricane....well until the last couple of years anyway.

Kristyn
07-08-2005, 11:06 AM
Good luck with the hurricane...that's one thing I definitely don't miss after moving to Boston last year! My parents got hit pretty good with Ivan though, so I know how it goes. I was there for Opal, and it took us 2 weeks just to be able to get back to our house after that mess.

sunshine79
07-08-2005, 11:12 AM
I'm in Orlando and I think we will be ok here, but I'm headed up to the panhandle for a wedding on Saturday. I'm most worried about my friend the bride and the hurricane ruining her wedding! It also sucks that it's coming on a weekend and there is no chance of getting out of work for a day. :evil:

shannon08
07-08-2005, 11:17 AM
I'm in Orlando and I think we will be ok here, but I'm headed up to the panhandle for a wedding on Saturday. I'm most worried about my friend the bride and the hurricane ruining her wedding! It also sucks that it's coming on a weekend and there is no chance of getting out of work for a day. :evil:
I know, for Ivan I got a paid vacation pretty much for 2 weeks becasue we couldn't open and we had evacuted to DC (not necessary to go that far, I know, but why not??) so it took a while to get home.

Its a catagory 5 now!! 150mph winds...Im so scared...Ive lived in FL all my life and done these things tons of times, but never this bad :cry:

dazed
07-08-2005, 11:18 AM
yeah, for some reason all the hurricanes last year struck over the weekend too. how annoying to not get any days off from work/school! good luck to you guys in the panhandle and nearby areas.

Angyl
07-08-2005, 11:21 AM
I'll be wishing you all safety and luck. my brother lives in Miami, so I'm always worried about hurricanes. I don't know what I'd do without him.

Mad Dawg
07-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Hurricanes aren't so bad. Growing up along the Gulf Coast, I've been through a number of them. Sure it's an inconvenience, but if you live along the Gulf or Atlantic coasts you have to accept that sooner or later you're going to get hit. You can't move to California and then complain about the earthquakes.

Or maybe I should take my own advice... I choose to live in Texas, but I complain about the summer heat. LOL! It's more of a love-hate relationship, really. It's almost endearing.

capella
07-08-2005, 02:20 PM
yeah, for some reason all the hurricanes last year struck over the weekend too. how annoying to not get any days off from work/school! good luck to you guys in the panhandle and nearby areas.
Or like me to get these days "off" only to have to make them up at the end of the school year. Booo!!! Days "off" in August heat with no air is not fun. Trying to toast a pizza on your charcoal grill is not fun. It doesn't get hot enough when the coals are wet and it tastes like lighter fluid. Pleh! Replacing a fridge full of food is not fun. Blah!

Edit: I agree Mad Dawg. They aren't fun but they are kind of a fact of life around here. I'm glad I live far enough inland that most hurricanes aren't going to demolish my house the way they would on the coast. Charley ripped off lots of shingles and took down lots of trees but it wasn't that bad. :googly: I'd rather a hurricane than a blizzard any day.

shannon08
07-08-2005, 02:43 PM
okay, so people are going a little nuts around here. I'd say about 90% of the gas stations are out of gas and the other 10% have lines that would take about an hour to wait through. And I sit here with 1/4 tank, man procrastination doesn't ever pay, especially in before a hurricane :torn:

MegeggersUNC
07-08-2005, 02:53 PM
You'd think living in the mountains of NC that hurricanes would not be something we had to worry about, but after the disasters last year's hurricanes brought we're taking the threat really seriously. Cindy ended up not hurting us too badly, but people are getting nervous about Dennis.

Our gas prices have jumped 20 cents since YESTERDAY. (And of course I was waiting until this weekend to get gas...sigh...) And hurricane season goes on until what, October or something? :0

kimmer23
07-08-2005, 02:54 PM
I'd rather a hurricane than a blizzard any day.

not me! blizzards = snuggle time and watching the kitties watch the snow outside. it means no school and/or work and the snow usually melts in a day or 2 around here anyway. hurricanes mean electric out for days and your roof blows off! during hurricane isabel i had never seen such destruction. it was awful. my house was fine, but if you lived close to the water you werent so lucky. it was our first yr having a boat and we sure learned a lot about the water and weather.

shimmer728
07-08-2005, 03:12 PM
You'd think living in the mountains of NC that hurricanes would not be something we had to worry about, but after the disasters last year's hurricanes brought we're taking the threat really seriously. Cindy ended up not hurting us too badly, but people are getting nervous about Dennis.

Our gas prices have jumped 20 cents since YESTERDAY. (And of course I was waiting until this weekend to get gas...sigh...) And hurricane season goes on until what, October or something? :0

Fuuuuuuuuck..................:(

capella
07-08-2005, 03:36 PM
not me! blizzards = snuggle time and watching the kitties watch the snow outside. it means no school and/or work and the snow usually melts in a day or 2 around here anyway. hurricanes mean electric out for days and your roof blows off! during hurricane isabel i had never seen such destruction. it was awful. my house was fine, but if you lived close to the water you werent so lucky. it was our first yr having a boat and we sure learned a lot about the water and weather.
It's funny you mention Isabel. I lived there in B-more County when that happened by. It was my first "hurricane." Actually it was a tropical storm when it hit us not technically a hurricane. After having lived through Charley, Frances and Jean.... *sigh* still rather the hurricanes. :) I had to drive to work in the snow if there was a blizzard. Boo on newspapers that still have deadlines despite the snow. Blah blizzards! :)

kimmer23
07-08-2005, 03:41 PM
I had to drive to work in the snow if there was a blizzard.

i thought you were a teacher??

well i saw the destruction of isabel and it was worse than any blizzard around here that we have ever had and it wasnt even a hurricane by the time it reached us, but it was serious stuff. a lot of peoples' homes were ruined.

capella
07-08-2005, 03:43 PM
i thought you were a teacher??

well i saw the destruction of isabel and it was worse than any blizzard around here that we have ever had and it wasnt even a hurricane by the time it reached us, but it was serious stuff. a lot of peoples' homes were ruined.
I am a teacher... in Florida. I wasn't in teaching in MD. I was a journalist.. a very broke journalist. With Isabel the flooding downtown was ridiculous. The wind just howled a lot around my apartment in Cockeysville and then the power was out for 12 hours. That was much better than Charley when the power was out for 6 days. Bleh!

sunshine79
07-08-2005, 04:40 PM
I know, for Ivan I got a paid vacation pretty much for 2 weeks becasue we couldn't open and we had evacuted to DC (not necessary to go that far, I know, but why not??) so it took a while to get home.

Its a catagory 5 now!! 150mph winds...Im so scared...Ive lived in FL all my life and done these things tons of times, but never this bad :cry:

Shannon - where in FL are you? I hope things are ok for you! That's awesome that you got two weeks off!

Isn't it funny how you start to live by the new hurricane maps that the NOAA puts out at 8, 11, 2 and 5? It's still sunny and clear here in Central Florida... the calm before the storm.

kimmer23
07-08-2005, 05:14 PM
With Isabel the flooding downtown was ridiculous

yeah downtown baltimore and annapolis. the water was halfway up main st in downtown annapolis. pretty crazy!

kimmer23
07-08-2005, 05:14 PM
oh yeah and the case with isabel was the surge in the bay, not really as much the wind and rain. the tidal surge was about 10 ft above normal range.

Deni81
07-08-2005, 06:17 PM
I'm ready for the end of hurricane season, and we haven't even gotten to the most active months yet :frustrate I feel bad for those in Pensacola, first Ivan and now Dennis. I'm in Orlando, luckily I think we'll be spared most of the brunt of this storm.