PDA

View Full Version : Hell has frozen over . . .

megrocks
07-12-2005, 03:28 PM
I got a real job. And after only 10 months of constant searching and countless interviews. It hasn't all sunk in yet.

I was at a temp job for eight months, but the company was shutting down and my days were getting numbered. Two weeks ago my agency calls, says that the company owes them over $18,000 and I was to leave immediately. Which was unsettling, but I knew it would have to happen sooner or later.

So I went on an interview last week for a job at an insurance company. I really wanted this job because it pays well, the people were great, and it seemed like a good way to start a career. I dressed up, asked great questions, interviewed for two hours, met so many people and wrote thank-you notes to each person who interviewed me.

The next day I had another interview as an operations assistant for a currency exchange firm. I didn't wear a suit, but the interview went well though I was only there for 45 minutes. I didn't send a thank-you note or have decent questions.

So today I found out that I was rejected from the insurance job and offered the operations job. I don't understand how. The operations job pays well, has good benefits, is in a good industry, and is in a good location. So I accepted it. I'm just a little freaked out still by everything and I'm hoping I am making the right decision. There is a part of me that wants to keep searching, because hey, there might be something better out there. A larger part says, hey idiot, you've been searching forever, you're interested in this industry, these people want you, just be grateful. I'm scared to tell my parents too for some reason.

Oh, and lest I forget. Accepting this job means I start training on Monday, July 18th for four weeks. In New York City.

ACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

tina1979
07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
The next day I had another interview as an operations assistant for a currency exchange firm. I didn't wear a suit, but the interview went well though I was only there for 45 minutes. I didn't send a thank-you note or have decent questions.
I worked at a currency exchange in the airport for almost five years. I had to put up with a lot of BS from my boss about certain things, but I had a great time there and made lots of friends. I'm curious which firm it is. You don't have to post it. PM me if you like, or just tell me I'm being too nosy :)

Congrats on the job!!

LakeJay
07-12-2005, 03:35 PM
Congratulations!!! Sounds like you scored a nice job. Best of luck.

shinyleaf
07-12-2005, 03:40 PM
congratulations!
I just got a new job too, and it was kind of anti-climactic. It's my first real job out of university. I'm nervous too.

I think it's normal to feel like "what if I missed the boat on an even better job", after you've been in search-mode for so long...
I hope the training eases that a bit. Enjoy New York!

megrocks
07-12-2005, 03:41 PM
I worked at a currency exchange in the airport for almost five years. I had to put up with a lot of BS from my boss about certain things, but I had a great time there and made lots of friends. I'm curious which firm it is. You don't have to post it. PM me if you like, or just tell me I'm being too nosy :)

Congrats on the job!!

God, I'm not thinking straight. Not curency exchange. It's more like currency investing. Where you invest your American dollars into Euros because you think the Euro will be more valuable. Honestly, I'm not sure I agree with the whole thing. It just seems so unsafe, and I was worried that the company might not be around for long. But they are regulated and they said that the company is doing a lot of growth.

It's nice to have a job, I just hate all the self-doubt. And the thought of New York is making me nauseous.

lilyflower
07-12-2005, 03:42 PM
Congratulations!!!!

Bugsey34
07-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Don't be nauseous, we don't bite! Yay for Megrocks! Come hang out in NYC with me! :huge:

coll214
07-12-2005, 04:05 PM
well it sounds good to me, so Congratulations!! And think of your NYC trip as a sort of vacation :)

GetMeOuttaDC
07-12-2005, 04:22 PM
Go Meg!

Are you moving to NYC permanently, or just visiting for the month?

reva_544
07-12-2005, 04:31 PM
I think it's normal to be nervous and scared. It's a big change! Do your best to relax. I was way excited to start my new job, but soon got very depressed and missed my old college life. That's all normal...a rite of passage even.

Also, what your company is doing is called hedging. It's perfectly legitimate, don't worry. Done all the time! They do it with interest rates and commidities too I think. You're right, it is risky business. Really only for the sophisticated investor...hence the NYC thing. I think they do a lot of that kind of stuff out there on Wall Street, etc.

Man, I bet the pay is good! Don't worry about telling the 'rents. That's something they should be really proud of! And New York City ROCKS! I'm am completely jealous you get a free trip out there!!! Enjoy it! It's a great experience!

megrocks
07-12-2005, 04:40 PM
Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllll no I am not moving there permanently. I'm sure my opinion will change after I get there, but right now I'm just not excited about the whole NYC thing at all. I did a google map of the company's location, and it appears to be in BFE. Like right off a highway near water kinda by the World Trade center area. I haven't got the travel information yet so I don't know exactly where I'm staying. I was hoping it would be really close to the office, but it appears it may not be. I'm so scared. I've gone to foreign countries on my own with few concerns, but NYC for four weeks may damn near kill me.

The pay is lower than the insurance job but higher than my other jobs. And they said there is an annual bonus.

What kinda helps calm me down is thinking about the potential shopping. I'm going to be like Becky in Shopaholic Takes Manhattan.

Also I've had a crush on this guy I knew from a study abroad program we did three years ago who lives in New York. I got an email from him a few weeks ago saying to let him know if we are ever in the area. And now I'm going to be. So I'm kinda excited and nervous about seeing him to.

Perhaps it's all fate or some shit like that.

dazed
07-12-2005, 05:13 PM
hey meg, getting a new job is stressful, especially when you have to move for it. don't worry too much about NYC. it's a great city. expensive but great. and who knows what may happen in NYC with that guy? or with someone else?

oh yeah, CONGRATS on the job!! must be a huge relief to finally get a real job.

Bugsey34
07-12-2005, 05:36 PM
Hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll llllllllllllllllllll no I am not moving there permanently. I'm sure my opinion will change after I get there, but right now I'm just not excited about the whole NYC thing at all. I did a google map of the company's location, and it appears to be in BFE. Like right off a highway near water kinda by the World Trade center area. I haven't got the travel information yet so I don't know exactly where I'm staying. I was hoping it would be really close to the office, but it appears it may not be. I'm so scared. I've gone to foreign countries on my own with few concerns, but NYC for four weeks may damn near kill me.

Relax, NYC is not all that bad, if you have lived in other big cities in the world, you have the experience already.

Do you mean its way downtown? I dont know what highway it could be off of downtown?

megrocks
07-12-2005, 06:06 PM
I don't know if it's a highway or not, it's just a thick yellow line on google maps. The FDR Dr N. (?????). It's about 5 blocks SE of the New York Stock Exchange. It appears to be one block from Water Street and one block from whatever body of water it is that seperates the island from Brooklyn.

The other cities I've lived in haven't been that big. The biggest city I ever actually been to is Chicago.

When I found out about going to NYC my thought process was --

1) that guy
2) NYC has a Lush and an H&M
3) Bugsey and Winney live there and would be fun to meet.

Thanks you guys for all the support. :huge:

Bugsey34
07-12-2005, 06:17 PM
We have everything, available at all hours, delivered to your door.

Yeah that is way far downtown, I believe the Water St. area is cool but I'm not sure because I don't hang out down there. You are as far as you can get, called the Financial District. If nothing else you are close to what we call "downtown" which is a little farther up than you, and is the funnest part of the city. Great restaurants, shopping, bars, clubs, etc. It's where I spend a lot of my free time.

Also I believe right near you is Century 21, which, if you're a bargain hunter, will soon become your obsession.

Are you going to be here by the 28th? We were planning NYC QLC cocktails!

winneythepooh7
07-12-2005, 06:30 PM
When I found out about going to NYC my thought process was --

3) Bugsey and Winney live there and would be fun to meet.

Thanks you guys for all the support. :huge:

Oh wow!!!! You named me!!!!! I am planning to be at the get-together at the end of the month, and I am also looking forward to meeting Bugsey and everyone else who lives in the area!!!

mishl982
07-12-2005, 09:45 PM
Congrats!! :huge:

pisces2473
07-12-2005, 11:40 PM
Wow, congrats! That's great! Does the job hook you up with the housing? Will you be with other employees--living in the same area, for instance?

I live in CT and I'd definitely come into the city to hang with you and everyone. Just not on the 28th though. :(