PDA

View Full Version : Looking young

jsp5000
03-16-2003, 06:53 AM
Perhaps an odd question - does anybody out there look significantly younger than his/her actual age, and if so, has that been an advantage or not? I look about 6-7 years younger than my age, and it has not helped me.

pisces2473
03-16-2003, 09:12 AM
This is too funny--because everyone thinks I'm a lot younger than I really am. I just turned 23 and I was talking to my trainer at the gym the other day and he was like, "When I first met you, I thought you were only like 17." This past fall I was at a craft show with my aunt and she was wearing her school's sweatshirt (she's a teacher) and one of the exhibitors asked if she taught at the public school or the private school (both schools have the same name--weird). Anyway, she said she taught at the public one, and the guy looks at me and says, "Do you go to North Andover High?" I'm like, "No, I'm 22 and go to grad school." A few summers ago, my grandfather was in the hospital recuperating from a stroke. I went to visit him and a eucharistic minister came in to give him communion. I was talking with the EM and said that I was an EM at my school. The EM says, "Oh what high school do you go to?" I said, "Actually I'm in college." The EM thought I was like 15/16 when I was really 20!!!!

Everyone says that I should enjoy the fact that I'm mistaken for someone younger, but I don't. Mind you, all these people are in their 40s/50s and I'm sure they are DYING for someone to mistake them for younger. Everyone says that when I get older, I'll LOVE being thought of as younger, but for now I see it as a pain in the ass. I'm carded ALL the time. I often wonder if me looking so young is why I don't get asked out...probably not. I don't dress young or act young, so that's a good thing. I'm also 5'7" so it's not like my height would make me appear younger. The strange thing is that while I look about 17, when I was 17 I did NOT look 12! LOL

TankgirlyC
03-16-2003, 07:16 PM
I too look younger than my age but have had enough life experience to easily make me like 30 something.
I look like Im in HS...and Im 22. I work a full time job...and the people I work with even treat me like Im an intern...they refer to me as the baby because they are all 26+ the eldest in my office is 33.....AHHHHH
ITS SO ANNOYING

TranquilSkye
03-16-2003, 07:51 PM
well i just turned 21 and i still pass for 14. its not a good thing either. i'm almost done with college and i still look like i'm in junior high! it gets really bad when i'll meet guys in there late 20s and they act like they'll go to jail for being seen with me. sure when i'm 30 something i'll like looking younger, but now its a hassle. when i get carded most businesses think my id is fake. how annoying.

asukat
03-24-2003, 12:58 AM
I have long "battled" looking young. I am currently 24 and look about 16. At work people always say that it is a virtue to look young, but I know I am often not treated as seriously. And although I often do not get carded at bars.... I get carded at movies. Talk about embarassing!!

Gregarious
03-24-2003, 04:28 PM
I am 27, but could easily pass for about 19-21.

I say enjoy it and don't worry about it.

Look at it as a personal complement.

I've always believed that people who act young look young.

It's psychosomatic.

You're as young as you feel.

Enjoy it.