PDA

View Full Version : Someone give me kind of last minute advice..

MasAndrew
08-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Before my interview on Wednesday. For an office assistant position. I finally gave someone a call today and they told me that I could come down on Wednesday at around 10 a.m.

Now this is my first real (big break) in a long line of waiting for a job offer. It's been too long. Five or six months since my last job. That job was total joke if you might ask. But this is a first, real job. I'm kind of nervous. What can I say or not say? What do I bring? And also should I get a haircut right now? They say not to get a haircut right before the big day of an interview but I wanted to know if I should get one now since it's Monday.

bridgetjones
08-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Congratulations.

Do not try a new hairstyle or a new stylist near an interview. Do not want to take chances with your hair even if you are a guy :p

Is it your first or second interview? The first one usually is to get a sense of personality and fit. The second one gets heavy with the skills and experience portion as a general rule.

MasAndrew
08-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Congratulations.

Is it your first or second interview? The first one usually is to get a sense of personality and fit. The second one gets heavy with the skills and experience portion as a general rule.

Thanks. This is my first one.

Kitty
08-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Research the company and have some questions ready.

Tayl405
08-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Bring your resume, a pen, a notebook, and be prepared for questions they might throw out at you. Good luck, interviews can be so nerve-wracking! Make sure you give yourself enough time to get there, and stop in the bathroom if you can just before to make sure you don't have anything in your teeth or something like that. Eat before you go too, so you don't feel light-headed or have a growling stomach. :)

tdko
08-08-2005, 04:09 PM
Make sure you bring 4 or 5 copies of your resume, and one copy of your references. You might also bring your "app info"--last few positions with pay, address/phone, title, supervisor, etc. I have all my info typed up ready to go, and before each interview I just print it out in case they need me to fill out an application.

Just remember, they want you to be the guy they hire. They want you to knock their socks off so they don't have to interview anyone else. So, make it easy for them. Sit up straight, dress nicely, be confident, know what the job's about.

Cole
08-08-2005, 07:28 PM
Really important: situational questions. Things like "give me an example of a time that you disagreed with a policy or rule that you were supposed to follow and what did you do about it?" or "tell us about your process of prioritizing and multi-tasking"

Come up with at least 5-6 situations you can use to answer these sorts of questions. It will be SUPER helpful, so you don't get into the interview and freak out because you can't think of a good example of something.

If you want a list of questions they'll likely ask, PM me. I've been intervieweing for these sorts of positions for months, and practically have a memorized interview script.