PDA

View Full Version : eBay

Kitty
08-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Recently, while bored at work, I've been browsing eBay. Am I the only one who thinks it is a total rip off? You can buy some of the exact same stuff brand new in the stores for cheaper. Even the discounts you do get, are minimal..and when you factor in shipping costs (which are also so inflated), it just doesn't seem worth it.

summergold
08-17-2005, 12:39 PM
I got the SATC first season dvd for $15 + $5 s&h. Pretty good deal to me. It's also a great place to find things that you can't find in stores. Like my SNES system and 25 games for $30 + $10 s&h. You just have to look for the bargains, just like you would anywhere else.

LakeJay
08-17-2005, 12:43 PM
I agree that the shipping costs can really jack up the prices to the point that it cancels out the discounted price and at times exceeds the regular price. But like summergold said I like to use eBay for finding items that aren't as easy to find in the stores...and I am always looking for bargains as well.

Kitty
08-17-2005, 12:48 PM
I got the SATC first season dvd for $15 + $5 s&h. Pretty good deal to me. It's also a great place to find things that you can't find in stores. Like my SNES system and 25 games for $30 + $10 s&h. You just have to look for the bargains, just like you would anywhere else.

That's true. I'm sure its probably good for some stuff - I was specifically looking at purses :)

summergold
08-17-2005, 12:51 PM
That's true. I'm sure its probably good for some stuff - I was specifically looking at purses :)

Oh, you're better off hitting a sale at Macy's or just checking out a street vendor :p

steph78
08-17-2005, 12:52 PM
I think e-bay is great for some things, you just have to do your research and know if you are getting a good deal or not. I have gotten great deals on stuff in the past - some things brand-new in their original package for less than half what they sell for in stores (even with shipping). But there are some things I have seen where I'm considering bidding and then I'm like "hey, I could get that at the store for LESS - what are these people thinking who have already bid?" It just depends on the item, I guess.

shinyleaf
08-17-2005, 04:53 PM
I just had my first experience with ebay last month and it was great. I wanted red shoes for my wedding (the ceremony was getting to look like it would just be toooo traditional for my liking so I had to shake it up a bit), but couldn't find any I liked locally. I searched and found the perfect heels, and ordered them. They came in time and fit perfectly - they were the hit of my wedding! They were Chinese Laundry and were so cheap - $14 US!! $48 Cnd with exchange and shipping but still soooo cheap.

SmilesSoSweet
08-17-2005, 05:16 PM
I bought a bigger memory card for my digital camera on eBay. I think I paid about $35 (including shipping) for a 256mg xD card Olympus brand for my Olympus camera. In the store it was about $50-60 at the time. I also bought a hands-free head set for my cell phone for $9 (that includes shipping). That was a buy-it-now bid. It would have been about $25 plus tax if I bought one from Cingular.

I also about a couple Christmas gifts on there too. I usually make sure the seller's ratings are really good before I make a bid. I don't normally buy stuff on eBay, but if I really can't find it at a store, then I'll check out eBay.

wordsmith
08-17-2005, 05:33 PM
I only look on eBay for stuff that can't be found elsewhere.

steph78
08-17-2005, 06:53 PM
My parents sold the car I used to drive in high school on e-bay after my brother got through using it also! It was 23 years old when they sold it - in great shape for being that old, but it did have its fair share of nagging mechanical problems by that point. I thought that was crazy, but the person who bought it was thrilled, they wanted to restore it and enter it in shows. So it went on to a better life than it would have if they sold it locally!

shimmer728
08-17-2005, 07:15 PM

Which purses? ;)

On eBay, you really have to know what you're looking for. There are some good deals available.

SunDevil
08-17-2005, 07:31 PM
I always check ebay, froogle.google.com., buy.com, and amazon.com. When eBay is cheaper, it is usually by a lot. I just got something for $41 on eBay (inc shipping) where it was $80 (without shipping) from an on-line realator. But my SD card for my camera was $15 cheaper at buy.com than eBay.

Kitty
08-17-2005, 08:21 PM
Which purses? ;)

On eBay, you really have to know what you're looking for. There are some good deals available.

There is this one coach purse I really want. It's the signature w/ this purple suede. so cute!!!

shimmer728
08-17-2005, 09:07 PM
There is this one coach purse I really want. It's the signature w/ this purple suede. so cute!!!

I know the one you mean. It is cute!