PDA

View Full Version : I just got fired

cheshrcarol
09-08-2005, 03:15 PM
I was just fired a few minutes ago. I am so beside myself right now, I don't even know what to do. I have such pitiful savings. I guess I'll have to start contacting temp agencies.

Word to the wise: whatever you do, don't send out resumes from your work computer, even if you're using yahoo.

Tayl405
09-08-2005, 03:17 PM
I'm so sorry Carol! That's awful. How did they find out you were sending out resumes?

WeirdBrake
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
I'm sorry to hear this. Please remember that you have friends here and people who are in your corner. PM or email me if you need to talk.

J-girl
09-08-2005, 03:18 PM
OMG thats soo crap. They should have warned you. I am so sorry to hear that.

blueyes
09-08-2005, 03:19 PM
((HUG)) So sorry! Is there any possibility of any of the resumes you sent turning something up?

tina1979
09-08-2005, 03:19 PM
(((hugs))) I am soo sorry that happened. Was that the reason they gave?

paiger81
09-08-2005, 03:20 PM
That sucks so much ass!!

biodork
09-08-2005, 03:20 PM
:( Also sorry to hear this!

Hope your job search goes well.

Angyl
09-08-2005, 03:22 PM
oh!

*hug* I'm sooo sorry.

LakeJay
09-08-2005, 03:26 PM
wow

i am very sorry

wordsmith
Wow, carol, that sucks. My IM is always open.

I've sent out a resume or two, but mostly I mail them. Fortunately, the paper doesn't monitor anything. How did this happen?

bridgetjones
That sucks. I usually stick by the rule do not do anything electronic at work that you do not want broadcast.

You can be fired for looking for another job? :googly:

Tayl405
09-08-2005, 03:27 PM
I usually stick by the rule do not do anything electronic at work that you do not want broadcast.

That's my problem with this site - I'm addicted, but I really shouldn't be on here at work.

wordsmith
09-08-2005, 03:28 PM
You can be fired for looking for another job? :googly:

Pretty much. This is why I can't even discuss the most remote possibility that I'm looking for other employment with anyone anywhere in my entire TOWN.

Tayl405
09-08-2005, 03:29 PM
When they find that out though, aren't they usually looking for a reason to fire you?

lawya girl
09-08-2005, 03:30 PM
So sorry Carol! :(

bridgetjones
09-08-2005, 03:31 PM
So am I but I never logged on at work. The stuff I talk about on here is not for my employer or future employer to know. :huge:

Incidentally I am not at work right as I got fired 4 months ago if anyone asks.

Tayl405
09-08-2005, 03:32 PM
Sorry you were fired. Likely all the web traffic is proxied, so they can just search through the logs of the proxy to see what sites you are going to. The answer? Make friends with someone who knows linux, and ask him about SSH tunneling. All your web traffic (and the sights you go to) will be encrypted in the tunnel and no one will know what sight you are going to.

And you can do this from work?

bridgetjones
09-08-2005, 03:33 PM
Sorry you were fired. Likely all the web traffic is proxied, so they can just search through the logs of the proxy to see what sites you are going to. The answer? Make friends with someone who knows linux, and ask him about SSH tunneling. All your web traffic (and the sights you go to) will be encrypted in the tunnel and no one will know what sight you are going to.

But dont they know you are still messing about?

Not sure about the law in Canada about firing someone for looking. I think our laws are less harsh with respect to firing people. Think you need to prove cause here.... Correct me if I am wrong.

diesel
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Carol, I'm so sorry to hear this!

J-girl
09-08-2005, 03:36 PM
Yeah that sounds a little over the top. I mean my manager herself encourages me to apply to other places. But then again my job situation is in jeopardy ughh.

bridgetjones
09-08-2005, 03:42 PM
I guess if you are temp/contractor with downtime then the situation is different. It would be cruel to tell someone to not look during downtime.

cheshrcarol
09-08-2005, 03:43 PM
Thank you everyone! The whole thing is just weird. I messed up a job a couple months ago (the mistake was caught before I could even fix it and no catastrophe happened) and was told I need to work on my lateness (about 5-8 minutes most mornings and my desk should be neater (but they admitted that it drives them nuts that I can find anything in under a second, when some of the so-called "neat" people have no idea where anything is).

A few days after that meeting, I had my quarterly review and my supervisor told me she didn't agree with our VP about the work I'd been doing and we'd just have to find a way to make her more comfortable. Since them I've been on time, my desk has been clean, and I've had NO OTHER FEEDBACK. Besides that, my customers love me.

So they called me in today, told me I'd only made minimal progress and they knew I'd sent out resumes (I can only remember one, but whatever) so they didn't want to put the time or effort into me as an employee any more. And that maybe it just wasn't a good fit.

wordsmith
09-08-2005, 03:53 PM
It sounds to me like somebody made up their mind already, carol, and then went looking for a reason to legitimize it. Which sucks a lot. With any luck, you'll find someplace you and your work are respected and valued more. Not that this makes the present situation any easier, of course. :(

LakeJay
09-08-2005, 04:06 PM
It sounds to me like somebody made up their mind already, carol, and then went looking for a reason to legitimize it. Which sucks a lot. With any luck, you'll find someplace you and your work are respected and valued more. Not that this makes the present situation any easier, of course. :(

Everything she said.

coll214
09-08-2005, 04:09 PM
OMG Carol, i'm sorry to hear that! ((HUGS)). Your little 'meeting' sounds an awful lot like the one I had last week. Did they even give you a timeline for when they wanted things fixed by? Is there anyway to talk to someone in HR about it? That just sounds an awful lot like they were looking for ANY reason to get rid of you, or maybe just anyone...

If you need to vent, you my IM...

cheshrcarol
09-08-2005, 04:13 PM
Originally they gave me thirty days to improve. That was back at the end of June. It's just driving me nuts, because never once did my supervisor say ANYTHING again to me.

bridgetjones
09-08-2005, 04:22 PM
ANYTHING? In retrospect that has got to be a clue. Yes hindsight is always 20/20. I recall certian ppl acting weird around me before a layoff.

pisces2473
09-08-2005, 04:26 PM
Oh Carol...and just the other day you and I were talking about your job. I am SO SO sorry. I'll be home later tonight if you want to chat. Do you think you could find any more info about why it happened? Did you have to leave immediately?

This is so weird, and I am so very sorry.

shimmer728
09-08-2005, 04:57 PM
Oh gosh, I am so sorry. We're all here for you.

Kitty
09-08-2005, 05:02 PM
Oh my god. I'm sorry. I can't belive they were so critical over stupid crap like a clean desk and being 5 minutes late.

cheshrcarol
09-08-2005, 05:48 PM
I know, this is just crazy. I was kind of afraid to tell my parents, but they were both really nice about and said that it was good experience but I wasn't really going anywhere there anyways and now I can concentrate on finding a better job.

tartytwenty
09-08-2005, 06:32 PM
What is that saying? When one door (or is it window) closes another one opens!

I'm sorry you got fired and hopefully you'll find something better (and better bosses too!)

They may have also known you sent out resumes...maybe one you sent out was calling your ex-employer for reference?

I wish you luck and keep your spirits up!

winneythepooh7
09-08-2005, 06:33 PM
(((((hugs))))

yankeeyosh
09-08-2005, 06:37 PM
Ouch! So sorry Carol...I know exactly how you feel.

I really shouldn't be visiting this site (or any site) at work...but no one is giving me work (another post) and I am bored 80% of the day...so unless I just stare at the wall, this is all I can really do. But I don't post during the day or send e-mail for that matter (they block Yahoo, so I can't do anything anyway).

k.monster
09-08-2005, 06:51 PM
***hugs****

heatherf
09-08-2005, 06:52 PM
Eff em. With friends like that...who needs friends?

And crap, if you can't send out your resume from work....where can you send it out from? ;)

wordsmith
09-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Hell, I've taken great pleasure in printing out and FAXING my resumes from work. Perhaps if I didn't work with obliviots (homage to midtwenty), I'd worry more.

bridgetjones
09-08-2005, 07:34 PM
Wouldnt they pay to keep you? Where would they be without you, eh? :evil:

wordsmith
09-08-2005, 07:39 PM
Same place they are now, just with shittier writing.

cornflakegirl
09-08-2005, 07:55 PM
i am sorry carol. those bastards!!

temping is a great idea to keep the money coming.

cheshrcarol
09-08-2005, 08:09 PM
Yeah, I was thinking I could do the temping thing again, I did it when I first graduated college. I'm trying to figure out my unemployment benfits right now, because I may be able to live on that for a while and just look for a job. I guess I'll see what happens.

Thanks again everyone :0 .

pisces2473
09-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Hell, I've taken great pleasure in printing out and FAXING my resumes from work. Perhaps if I didn't work with obliviots (homage to midtwenty), I'd worry more.
I had to dash across the street to the copy place to fax mine when I was still at Hell University. I don't know what I'd do if I was looking for jobs now.

computer guy
09-09-2005, 12:55 AM
I hate that kind of meeting.

I think the line about not being a good fit is the most common. I'd go to the unemployment office and find out what you can get right away.

Take some time off if you can, then hit the ground running.

MetFanL
09-09-2005, 10:57 AM
Carol, I'm so sorry. You should be able to collect unemployment, even though you were fired. It doesn't sound like you were insubordinate or were a horrible employee or anything... You should apply and see what happens. I think you can do it over the phone now in NYS. Also, you might want to hold off on the temp work b/c that affects your benefits. You could actually make more $$ off benefits than temping.

Do you have my regular e-mail? PM me if you don't and send me your resume. What's your degree in? Do you have your Master's?

cheshrcarol
09-09-2005, 12:07 PM
Carol, I'm so sorry. You should be able to collect unemployment, even though you were fired. It doesn't sound like you were insubordinate or were a horrible employee or anything... You should apply and see what happens. I think you can do it over the phone now in NYS. Also, you might want to hold off on the temp work b/c that affects your benefits. You could actually make more $$ off benefits than temping.

Do you have my regular e-mail? PM me if you don't and send me your resume. What's your degree in? Do you have your Master's?I can collect unemployment. I was just trying to figure out whether I'd make more with that or a temp job. If I can scrape by on unemployment, then I will because it'll leave me open to interview. My degree is in Journalism/Mass Communications with a dual secondary in Psychology and Marketing. Unfortunately I don't have my masters.

My parents are both federal employees and want me to apply right away to federal and state jobs. I didn't see anything appropriate on the federal jobs site, I still have to check out New York.

I found your e-mail, I'll send it over. Thanks for any help you can give!