PDA

View Full Version : Going away lunch

MollyMe
09-22-2005, 12:36 PM
I am leaving my job soon and they are talking about treating me to lunch before I leave. No problems with that.

However, another guy in my office is leaving around the same time too so he had the idea to combine the lunches and our boss bought into the idea. If it was anyone else, I would not have a problem with this arrangement.

However, I can't stand this guy. He brags all day about the fancy sports car he is going to get, his new salary and new job responsibilities. Mostly it is all talk and it is not hard to see he is full of shit. It goes beyond bragging and he seems to find fault with everything I do. When he found out I was moving, he told me that I was moving to a horrible place and he would never live there. (He once drove through the state so he is an expert of the area.) This was repeated several times. I was showing people my new place to live and he started talking about his places and how my place was so small and his places had this and that. He asked me if he was beating me out of the office; I didn't know it was a race. Yesterday, he announced to the office something I did was wrong, when it really was the case that he didn't see something. He's told me in front of other people that I was lazy for coming in at 8am instead of 6 or 7am and, at another time, that I was stupid and naive for having an opinion that did not agree with his. Most of what I say near him is challenged, even if I was obviously correct.

So I don't like this person. And that is only part of the crap he says to me.
He also talked about when he left he didn't want a lunch, but now he wants a combined one with me. WTF? Another coworker told me he was only doing it to take the attention away from me.

Futhermore, they are sending around one envelope for both of our gifts.

So do I suck it up and have the combined lunch or say something to my boss? What are my options? I am perfectly okay with saying I don't want anything.

shimmer728
09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
Wow, what a jackass. Have you complained to management about this guy before? Sounds like you would have had reason to. If his company is really that unbearable, maybe it would be best if you forego the lunch......but tell your bosses why. I would.

twentity
09-22-2005, 01:06 PM
I say just go! It's not like you have to sit next to him and hold hands. Your co-workers want to have a nice send off for you so let them. It's about you not him. You won't see him again anyway.

week2week
09-22-2005, 01:08 PM
I'd say that you're going to have a hard time having your own lunch as a typical boss will see a combined lunch as killing two birds with one stone so as to lessen cost.

I'd also say that you need to seriously put this piece of shit in his place. Preferred methods would be a swift kick in the nuts while waiting to be seated at lunch, although...listening to all his shit during the lunch and then as you walk out of the restaurant say, "Look mutha fucka...you want to talk shit than you better expect to get smacked, cuz I got this to say! *WUMPF - KICK IN THE NUTS*" might be good as well.

Or, some kind of ultimate verbal (but calm) diatribe in front of everyone else would be good too.

:twisted:

WeirdBrake
09-22-2005, 01:27 PM
"So long, you obnoxious, arrogant, full-of-shit asshole. I look forward to never seeing your ugly mug again. My condolences to your parents."

tina1979
09-22-2005, 01:41 PM
Personally I would just go to a combines lunch and not worry about it. I would steer as clear as possible of the ashole and try not to make waves. However, I really like week2week's suggestion. :twisted:

spokes
09-22-2005, 01:44 PM
remeber it is always important to leave your curent place of employment on the best possible terms - you never know what the future holds.

go to the lunch, smile and ignore the condescending sack of human crap. I am assuming that you and he won't be heading to the same place to work will you.....

MollyMe
09-22-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the suggestion W2W, but it would be a 95 lb girl taking on a body builder. Then again, if I do it pretty quickly...

Management sucks.

I've also called him out in front of others after he made comments to me. I had some good comebacks, but I pick my battles. There is so much I could say to him.

I know I have to leave on good terms. I don't care what this person thinks of me because if he will ever talk of me again he say I was stupid. Someone called me at work and he didn't understand the message, so I was told this person was incompetent when I got the message.

I don't know what I am going to do. It is not a money issue on the company part. I'll ask my boyfriend...but, as he said earlier, I've had received so much shit from this office over the last year that I should at least have my own lunch.