PDA

View Full Version : What's the average raise (percentage wise) at your place of work?

PVD99
10-20-2005, 01:18 PM
I think ours might be 4%...is that kind of low?

MetFanL
10-20-2005, 01:21 PM
Mine is 3%, but its gov't work and all contract negotiated. It's average for gov't work, but low for the private sector.

It's a trade-off... serious job security v. bigger money. Although, I make good money on top of the other benefits, so I've got the best of both worlds. Although, I would LOVE to get a bonus once in a while...

shimmer728
10-20-2005, 01:41 PM
My raise this year was $1K. I'm not sure how shitty that is. It's journalism, so it's all relative. ;)

meatwad
10-20-2005, 01:43 PM
We don't get raises. We don't get sick days. We get two weeks of vacation per year forever. I'm going to quit.

spokes
10-20-2005, 02:00 PM
3% to 4%.............

steph78
10-20-2005, 02:25 PM
My first year I got 6.7%, my second year I got 7.3%, then my third year I got 4.8% and felt like I got ripped off. I think I expressed my disappointment about my smaller than expected raise in my review unconsciously because then they fell all over themselves promising end of year bonuses. I guess I'm just a whiner and should be grateful for any raise!

week2week
10-20-2005, 02:41 PM
for me, it depends on where you're ranked. if you're top talent, then you're capable of 8%+. Middle of the roadies are looking at like 4-5%. Bottom feeders aren't getting anything up to like 1.5% I think...not sure, cuz I fortunately have not been ranked there. Really, it all depends on how people upstairs think the business is doing...even if we're going to meet yearly predictions, sometimes they still don't give the full % raises or even delay a raise. It's a crapshoot and BS.

natbumpo
10-20-2005, 02:55 PM
for me, it depends on where you're ranked. if you're top talent, then you're capable of 8%+. Middle of the roadies are looking at like 4-5%. Bottom feeders aren't getting anything up to like 1.5% I think...not sure, cuz I fortunately have not been ranked there. Really, it all depends on how people upstairs think the business is doing...even if we're going to meet yearly predictions, sometimes they still don't give the full % raises or even delay a raise. It's a crapshoot and BS.

That's how mine works. Pay for performance. I don't believe in just giving everyone raises. They are earned by hardwork, not just dolled out. As a matter of fact, for bottom performers, when I was in management I would use the lack of a raise as a tool to hopefully make them quit.

Ciderhillnh
10-20-2005, 02:57 PM
2% argh
extra letters

Kitty
10-20-2005, 03:06 PM
We get crap raises here. After 6 months I got a 3% raise. Blah. At my last company I got something close to 15%.

biodork
10-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Mine is 3%, but its gov't work and all contract negotiated. It's average for gov't work, but low for the private sector.

It's a trade-off... serious job security v. bigger money. Although, I make good money on top of the other benefits, so I've got the best of both worlds. Although, I would LOVE to get a bonus once in a while...
Yeah I work for the gov't too and noticed after a year I just automatically got a 3% raise. Well maybe like 3.4% oooooooooo big one, that's really gonna help me out. :rolleyes:

MetFanL
10-20-2005, 03:29 PM
Yeah I work for the gov't too and noticed after a year I just automatically got a 3% raise. Well maybe like 3.4% oooooooooo big one, that's really gonna help me out. :rolleyes:

Yeah, but they add up. Like, we get a 3% bump annually from our normal progressions through the civil service system and, when we get a new contract, we usually get an additional 2-3% on all salaries.

My bro, who works in the private sector, can get a 15% raise in a year, but 4% the next year b/c the company might not be doing well. I'd rather be able to bank of 3-5% than not know if I'm getting anything at all, ya know?

biodork
10-20-2005, 03:37 PM
Yeah, but they add up. Like, we get a 3% bump annually from our normal progressions through the civil service system and, when we get a new contract, we usually get an additional 2-3% on all salaries.

My bro, who works in the private sector, can get a 15% raise in a year, but 4% the next year b/c the company might not be doing well. I'd rather be able to bank of 3-5% than not know if I'm getting anything at all, ya know?
If I was going to be here a long time I'd be happier, but I probably will be off to grad school this time next year. I need 15% now! :)

Plus my pay is weird. It's a grant, but it's taxable. So i have no taxes taken out of my paycheck but I'm supposed to pay them quarterly. BLAH. I'm gonna be screwed come tax time.

MetFanL
10-20-2005, 03:38 PM
If I was going to be here a long time I'd be happier, but I probably will be off to grad school this time next year. I need 15% now! :)

Plus my pay is weird. It's a grant, but it's taxable. So i have no taxes taken out of my paycheck but I'm supposed to pay them quarterly. BLAH. I'm gonna be screwed come tax time.

Yikes... Did you calculate what your quarterly payment would/should be and put money away each paycheck? Like an automatic deposit or something?

coll214
10-20-2005, 03:42 PM
For me, it depends at what job category you're in. Clerical and Service people have annual raises automatically every year like clockwork for the next 10 years (until the latest union contract is up), which i think are at a minimum of 4%, but they may change from year to year. People like me in management, it's tougher to gauge, I think mine was like 7% this year but that's because i'm so low pay-wise on the totem pole in addition to my merit raise determined by the department HR also bumped me up.

biodork
10-20-2005, 03:42 PM
Yikes... Did you calculate what your quarterly payment would/should be and put money away each paycheck? Like an automatic deposit or something?
Haven't calculated it out yet. I do have money saved up though to pay it. At the beginning of next year I plan on meeting with my grandpa (who was an accountant) to figure out my taxes for this year and plan them for next year. I get the $2000 hybrid deduction this year though since I just bought one in June. Hopefully that will help. NIH really screws over fellows. I don't know why they just can't take the damn taxes out of our paycheck.

I feel bad for a co-worker. He started back in January and thought we didn't have to pay any taxes so he's been blowing a ton of money. Good thing I let him know before the year was up.

SunDevil
10-20-2005, 06:47 PM
Around 4%...pretty average, but I don't mind