PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one ridiculously excited about the RENT movie?

lilyflower
11-04-2005, 04:11 AM
I can't help it. I'm lame, I know, but my god...

I am so going to the first showing possible.

winneythepooh7
11-04-2005, 07:21 AM
Oh me too. Whenever they play the commercial, I get the songs in my head for days!!!

dengeist
11-04-2005, 07:34 AM
I'm going for Rosario Dawson, she's just hot. She's playing Roxy right?

winneythepooh7
11-04-2005, 07:37 AM
I'm going for Rosario Dawson, she's just hot. She's playing Roxy right?

Roxy? Isn't that Chicago you're thinking about? Rosario is playing "Mimi". I love the songs she sings, "Light my Candle" and "Out tonight"......

http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/rent/index.html

dengeist
11-04-2005, 08:23 AM
Ooops, yeah, Mimi, Rosario Dawson...yeah, baby. I gotta remember the names of my future wife's roles.

lilyflower
11-04-2005, 10:05 AM
Oh me too. Whenever they play the commercial, I get the songs in my head for days!!!

I know, me too. (But it looks like they might've cut "Christmas Bells" and "Contact" out of the movie because neither is on the soundtrack :( )

cameralady
11-04-2005, 11:35 AM
Rent-another movie that may prompt me to pony up the $10.50 to see it in the theater. :) (The new Harry Potter movie is the other one.)

analogman
11-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Not so much the movie because I've seen the musical.

The soundtrack interests me greatly though due to potentially higher quality recordings than soundtracks for the musical (recorded during live shows).

LakeJay
11-04-2005, 01:05 PM
I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the movie. I want to see how the musical will get translated onto the screen.

Kitty
11-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I never really understood all the hype around RENT.

internut33
11-04-2005, 01:09 PM
Dont understand the hype either, mom is crazy over this movie.

mishl982
11-04-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm so excited! I get giddy everytime I see the commercials. When exactly does it come out anyway? I get so excited I don't pay attention to the release date :p

lilyflower
11-04-2005, 02:15 PM
I'm so excited! I get giddy everytime I see the commercials. When exactly does it come out anyway? I get so excited I don't pay attention to the release date :p

November 23rd

jow77
11-04-2005, 02:16 PM
I've seen the show three times. I'm going to check it out opening weekend. It looks great.

winneythepooh7
11-23-2005, 06:22 PM
Right now I am planning to go see this at 7PM. That is if boyfriend gets home soon. Otherwise I want to definately go tommorrow. I don't know if I will be able to stay awake for a 10:00 or Midnight showing (Yes, I am getting old...........).

winneythepooh7
11-23-2005, 10:56 PM
I saw Rent!!!! I have to admit, I was disappointed in the beginning, and thought it was a bit cheesy, but as the movie progressed, it got really good. It is not the Broadway show by any means, but was still decent. Now I can't get "Seasons of Love" out of my head..........Even my boyfriend is nutso with the words right now.

Bugsey34
11-24-2005, 12:19 AM
Don't get too excited guys. I saw a pre-release on Monday night and it was really disappointing. Like Winney said, it was cheesy. I guess if you've never seen the Broadway show you might like it, but if you have, there is no comparison.

mishl982
11-24-2005, 12:32 AM
Aww that's not something I want to hear.

I'll still see it anyways :)

dengeist
11-26-2005, 04:14 PM
I saw it last night, I thought it was pretty good. I mean, it's not the stage version, but I think it held up.

I took my mom to see it and at the end I said, "So, what did you think?" She said, "I'm speechless, I knew people like that."

ugarachel82
11-26-2005, 05:56 PM
As someone who has never seen the stage show and has been listening to the soundtrack for the past four years, it was so great to finally tie the story in to the music when I saw the movie last night. I thought it was great, if a bit slow in the beginning. (I didn't like the first 20 minutes or so.) I can't stop listening to the music today! It rocked. :D

lilyflower
11-26-2005, 11:53 PM
I saw Rent!!!! I have to admit, I was disappointed in the beginning, and thought it was a bit cheesy, but as the movie progressed, it got really good. It is not the Broadway show by any means, but was still decent. Now I can't get "Seasons of Love" out of my head..........Even my boyfriend is nutso with the words right now.

Ditto, Winney.

Seasons of Love is now my ringtone (I am so lame)

MetFanL
11-28-2005, 01:36 PM
I really liked it. Honestly, even in the play, I've always thought that the beginning was a little awkward. You just forget about it by the time you get to La Vie Boheme b/c it's so strong from there out... I felt the movie was the same way.

I've always wondered if they would have re-worked it even more if Jonathan Larson had lived to see it on Broadway.

Winter Storm
12-16-2005, 01:43 PM
I saw this on Sunday and I hate to admit it cause I love musical, but I wasn't too impressed.

The biggest thing for me was the songs. I found I only liked maybe 3 or 4 out of the 20 they sang. It was slow in the beginning but it did pick up around the end.

I've never seen the stage play so I didn't realize it had such a heavy emphasis on AIDS, but I did like the characters, the setting, the storylines and the whole energy of it. I just found many of the songs kind of awkward.

But I'm glad I checked it out. I'll have to see the play if I get a chance.

winneythepooh7
12-16-2005, 01:48 PM
I highly recommend those of you who haven't seen the show to go and see it. It is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the movie. I think the movie did a good job in really explaining some things that you may miss your first time seeing the show on Broadway. Otherwise, it wasn't as good as they hyped it up to be. My boyfriend and I actually bought his parents tickets to the Broadway show for Christmas :D.

winneythepooh7
12-23-2005, 04:42 PM
Hey kids!! Guess who I spotted during my lunch break?! None other than Ms. Rosario Dawson. She was in a private car at a light near Macy's. I know it was her because the window was down, I recognized her recent shorter hair-cut and she was waving and smiling to some people in front of me who recognized her :D.

ugarachel82
12-23-2005, 08:11 PM
How neat! I love celebrity sightings!