PDA

View Full Version : Bookstores/Coffee Shops

Sameboat
06-10-2003, 08:39 PM
This is kind of a silly question but I don't get out much. Is it OK in book stores to take a book off the shelf that you haven't bought and then go read it with a cup of coffee or tea or what have you. I'm assuming that it's fine but I worry about silly things like this.

pisces2473
06-10-2003, 08:58 PM
That's a good question...I worked at a Barnes and Noble with a cafe in it and that was never brought up. Personally, I wouldn't do it because my luck I'd spill my drink all over the book and would have to buy it.

I guess if they really didn't want you to take books into the cafe, they wouldn't have them so open like they do...

bostongirl
06-10-2003, 09:15 PM
It's perfectly fine. I do it all the time at Barnes and Noble as it is the perfect way to read a book that you know you'd only read once and don't intend to purchase... and in my current limited budget state, being able to read new books without spending a fortune is very key. Also, I feel like I read somewhere that the cafes, etc were part of the Barnes and Noble business plan as a way to make the store more of a destination rather than simply a way to purchase books (the logic was something like if you enjoy going somewhere, you'll go more often, which should translate into more book purchases). I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems plausible. But no matter the reason behind them, I'd agree with pisces that since the cafes are there, they really can't say too much about taking books into them. If they were that worried about it, they wouldn't have put them in.
-M

pisces2473
06-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Also, I feel like I read somewhere that the cafes, etc were part of the Barnes and Noble business plan as a way to make the store more of a destination rather than simply a way to purchase books (the logic was something like if you enjoy going somewhere, you'll go more often, which should translate into more book purchases). I don't know if this is true or not, but it seems plausible

Boston--you're right, that was the plan of the cafes and the comfy chairs and the non-pressuring sales staff...all to make you feel so comfortable that you'd WANT to buy!

ace617
06-29-2003, 09:28 PM
That's funny that someone had that same question ... I'm guessing that it is OK to have a coffee while you're looking at books. Those are great stores.