PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Supervisors!!

coll214
06-12-2003, 12:46 PM
I need to do some serious venting and this seems to be the safest place to do it with no repercussions!!!!

Why is it that older supervisors seem to think that just because you're the youngest that means you're the dumbest and can be the scapegoat for everything??? Since when does age correlate with IQ?

I work at a university and our main office supervisor seems to think that she can yell at me for things that i have absolutely no control over. I know i'm a manager (you cannot yell at the clerical employees), and yes make mistakes from time to time just like everyone else, but it's ridiculous. I have no control over what another senior manager did 3 freakin years ago when i didn't even work here.

95% of the time i sit at my desk quietly doing my work and mind my own business and it seems like she takes advantage of the fact that i'm quiet. I think today was the first time I gave it right back to her and she was a little taken aback. Oh Well
:twisted: !!!

Thanks for letting me vent!! Back to the salt mines...

crazy-girl
06-12-2003, 02:44 PM
I think you hit it right on the head when you said that she probably thinks she can yell at you because you're quiet. I think for many people quiet=weak. I'm glad you stood up for yourself.

Some people think there's no way to exert power without being an arse a lot of the time. So they pick on people they think will let them, younger people who probably won't want to yell at an elder, quiet people who don't like confrontation and people with already low self-esteem.

We've all been there. Hang in there and keep fighting for yourself. One trick that someone told me was to say "I realize you are upset but there is no reason I should have to stand here while you raise your voice to me. When you're ready to calmly talk to me, please let me know." This will let the other person realize that they look like an ass and there's no HR person in the world that will blame you for saying it if your boss files a complaint. Yelling back can be dangerous.

coll214
06-12-2003, 04:35 PM
Maybe i should rephrase, i didn't yell back at her, but told her all of the information that i had and where I had gotten with it, but since she can't control what the other senior managers do, took it out on me. She does it to everyone in our office, but it seems like it happens to me more so than the others because "I'm young." Usually i just sit there and take it, but you can only get bitched at for things you cannot control so much before something snaps. At least I was able to leave out the profanities :p .

crazy-girl
06-12-2003, 11:05 PM
Well, that's good. I didn't mean to imply that I thought you yelled back. I was just saying "Don't do it" as a general rule.

It's strange, I dislike most supervisors because I resent people telling me what to do. But then at the same time, I have no desire to be a big manager anyplace and have to deal with budgets and reprimanding people . . . I suppose this means I should work for myself.

coll214
06-13-2003, 09:50 AM
Yeah, I know what you mean. You don't want to be the one getting the orders but at the same time you don't want to have to give them!!:(