PDA

View Full Version : What genre of books do you like?

J-girl
11-16-2005, 12:57 PM
I like- classics, history, modern fiction, coffee table books.

biodork
11-16-2005, 12:59 PM
Modern Fiction/Mystery

Sometimes I'll do romance novels, but only if they have a mystery element to them :)

wordsmith
11-16-2005, 01:04 PM
It's easier to say "What genre DON'T you like," for me.

Books I'd never buy are about:

-Military history
-Politics (unless it's satire)
-Financial self-help
-How to get a man, understand a man, get the relationship of your dreams, convince your man you're the one for him, how to know when you're not the one for him, etc.
-Computers/technology

Anything else, I'll devour.

J-girl
11-16-2005, 01:07 PM
I also like modern non fiction.

WeirdBrake
11-16-2005, 01:11 PM
When I was a young teenager, it was young adult sci-fi (William Sleator and also the Tom Swift series). Later in adolescence, it was non-fiction psychology books-- either autobiographical or somewhat scholarly (NOT self-help!). In college, it was non-fiction philosophy (my major had something to do with that ;) ). I'm not sure what it is now. I do think I gravitate more toward non-fiction books rather than fiction.

wordsmith
11-16-2005, 01:14 PM
Oh, I forgot. I'm not really interested in reading science fiction, either, although there have been a few in the fantasy genre that made me relax my "no sci-fi/fantasy" leanings to include select few of the latter, if not the former.

shimmer728
I'm a sucker for chick lit. I admit it.

tdko
I like trade paperback lit, like "Bee Season," "Everything is Illuminated," or anything by John Irving. I don't know if that's a category or not. I used to be big on trash epic fantasy (Stephen King, Ray Feist, etc.), but after reading Robert Jordan's craptastic Wheel of Time series, I'm burnt out on crappy writing.

- Quality sci-fi ("A Canticle for Leibowitz," "Neuromancer," or "Tiger Tiger")
- Non-fiction about the Middle East (mmm..."From Beirut to Jerusalem")
- Religious lit. I'm currently reading Chris Moore's "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff" (funny) and Karen Armstrong's "A History of God" (not funny).
- Financial books too.

I guess that means my taste runs exactly counter to Wordsmith. :p

week2week
11-16-2005, 01:33 PM
autobiographies, biographies, history, non-fiction mostly, classics

wordsmith
11-16-2005, 01:50 PM
I like trade paperback lit, like "Bee Season," "Everything is Illuminated," or anything by John Irving. I don't know if that's a category or not. I used to be big on trash epic fantasy (Stephen King, Ray Feist, etc.), but after reading Robert Jordan's craptastic Wheel of Time series, I'm burnt out on crappy writing.

- Quality sci-fi ("A Canticle for Leibowitz," "Neuromancer," or "Tiger Tiger")
- Non-fiction about the Middle East (mmm..."From Beirut to Jerusalem")
- Religious lit. I'm currently reading Chris Moore's "Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff" (funny) and Karen Armstrong's "A History of God" (not funny).
- Financial books too.

I guess that means my taste runs exactly counter to Wordsmith. :p

Just in the sci fi and money books!

Although, my best friend is all about sci fi, and has been trying to force "A Canticle for Leibowitz" on my for a while now. I did take him up on Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, though, which made me rethink my distaste for fantasy, so I don't mistrust his taste, really.

Oh, and your first category is most closely identified as "contemporary best selling fiction," which I tend to like, as well.

tdko
11-16-2005, 01:56 PM
Just in the sci fi and money books!

Although, my best friend is all about sci fi, and has been trying to force "A Canticle for Leibowitz" on my for a while now. I did take him up on Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, though, which made me rethink my distaste for fantasy, so I don't mistrust his taste, really.

Oh, and your first category is most closely identified as "contemporary best selling fiction," which I tend to like, as well.
Yay something in common!

I figured the Middle East books counted as politics. And I dig tech books too, though I don't read them as a "genre" per se.

"Canticle" is a good one. I'd also recommend Sheri Tepper's "Grass" for someone who's not into sci-fi.

labrat2111
11-16-2005, 02:01 PM
I love reading books about history and more specifically military history or military history sometime in the last 150 years. I also read science books and fiction from time to time.

Kitty
11-16-2005, 02:03 PM
I like fiction - but rarely modern fiction. I love graphic novels. My major is in American Literature - so, I'm partial to that as well.

wordsmith
11-16-2005, 02:05 PM
But you liked "Hairstyles of the Damned!!"

Kitty
11-16-2005, 02:07 PM
There are modern fiction books I like, this is true. Its just that for every one that I do like there's about 123093209430488348 that I think are absolute crap. And that ratio seems to smaller with books written before, say, 1970.

k.monster
11-16-2005, 02:11 PM
tkdo: Tepper is awesome! Grass is good, and I loved Beauty and Gate to Womens Country.

tdko
11-16-2005, 02:16 PM
tkdo: Tepper is awesome! Grass is good, and I loved Beauty and Gate to Womens Country.
I loved Gate. My favorite part is when the main character finds out the men worship a giant phallus. Her friend defends it by saying, "It's symbolic" and she replies, "It sure is!"

k.monster
11-16-2005, 02:31 PM
She's awesome!

I've read a few books by Karen Armstrong as well (including the one you're reading). I really like her work.

spokes
11-16-2005, 03:14 PM
i am not a huge reder, but when i do read i like to read non-fiction. for example i really liked reading "Into Thin Air" which was about a group of mtn climbers taking on Everest.

I have been slowly working on Friday Night Lights, but the writers style is almost painful (it seems as if he can write three pages abut the sun setting).

Winter Storm
11-16-2005, 07:52 PM
I love true crime. I'm sure I'm the only one.

wordsmith
11-16-2005, 08:00 PM
When I was a teenager, I read everything I could get my hands on about real-life serial killers, WS. I can still tell you all kinds of stuff about everybody from Jack the Ripper to John Waynce Gacy to Jeffrey Dahmer.

ebruening
11-16-2005, 08:00 PM
Really, really, ridiculously descriptive fiction, such as Patrick White's Voss , or Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita . I'm a Nabokov fanatic.

Winter Storm
11-16-2005, 08:04 PM
When I was a teenager, I read everything I could get my hands on about real-life serial killers, WS. I can still tell you all kinds of stuff about everybody from Jack the Ripper to John Waynce Gacy to Jeffrey Dahmer.

Yeah, my love of the genre started after I read Helter Skelter. And I read all the Jeffrey Dahmer books. I find that stuff fascinating!

WeirdBrake
11-16-2005, 08:19 PM

Yep, sounds familiar. ;) I loved reading books on serial killers and mass murderers when I was a teen.

capella
11-16-2005, 08:39 PM
I can still tell you all kinds of stuff about everybody from Jack the Ripper to John Waynce Gacy to Jeffrey Dahmer.
I read a creepy ass book about Jack the Ripper a few years ago. It still gives me chills.

I am a big literature snob. I like a lot of stuff written by dead white british guys (and gals too). Jane Austen is my favorite author. I am a huge dork. I realize and accept this. But I love snarky satire and dry wit.

I mostly read a lot of fiction. I am always wary of new fiction because 99% of it is crap I could have written better myself. I have re-read a lot of classical mythology lately because I'm teaching the kids about Greek mythology and that has gotten kind of muddled up in my head after the years have gone by, what with all the crazy names and such.

I had an enchantment with philosopolitical stuff a while back. But I didn't retain a lot of it sadly. I need to re-read stuff.

I tend to wait a while on the non-fiction stuff because a lot of that can be sensationalized crap. Some of the better non-fictions I've read lately are Stiff, Freakanomics, and Nickel and Dimed (though I take issue with the little authoress of that one).

S. is a really big sci-fi person. I just don't get the fantasy stuff. We argue about that in writing short stories too. I'm much more of a realistic fiction writer while he loves fantasy or sci-fi stuff. Bleh. We've argued more than once about how Stephen King is not real literature. The closest thing I come to liking in the sci-fi genre would be The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and only because it's so damn funny.

Currently I'm reading The Kite Runner. I've also read The Namesake lately. That's a good read.

J-girl
11-17-2005, 11:15 AM
This whole serial killer theme has always intrigued me as well. Can you dudes and dudettes suggest beginner reads? Trust me I can stomach anything!

WeirdBrake
11-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Serial Killers by Joel Norris, PhD

Evil: Inside Human Violence and Cruelty by Roy F. Baumeister

Violence: Reflections on a National Epidemic by Dr. James Gilligan (of Harvard Med School)

Without Conscience by Robert Hare, PhD

For Your Own Good by Alice Miller (about child abuse and its relationship to future abusiveness/criminality)

Spare the Child by Philip Greven (also about child abuse but focusing more on the religious roots of it)

J-girl
11-17-2005, 12:21 PM
Thanks WB!!! Next read for sure!

joeymarjie
11-20-2005, 11:56 AM
fiction, some modern fiction (need to be a little picky with this one...), short stories. I've been into Barbara Pym lately. She's great. Some people think she's a little boring, but I like her quiet sarcasm. I'm also quite attached to some books I read as a kid. "The Phantom Tollbooth" and "Tuck Everlasting" are two of my favourites. I'll reread them every once in a while because they make me happy. I am also a huge dork, but I love it. :D

yankeeyosh
11-20-2005, 12:19 PM
Non-fiction....sociology...particularly stuff dealing with generational theory.

dazed
11-20-2005, 08:07 PM
when i do read i really enjoy mystery novels. i also like reading books about science and healthcare. i like cultural books, like jhumpa lahiri's stuff. and next on my list is freakonomics.