PDA

View Full Version : Costa Rica

girlinterrupted
12-14-2005, 12:34 PM
Has anyone ever been? Where did you stay? My BF and I are thinking of going in February, and it just seems like there are so many different places to stay. We were really interested in Playa Montezuma because it has the beach and the nature preserve, kind of the best of both worlds.

pash
12-14-2005, 03:16 PM
Yeah, I just went last year - I had some friends that moved there for like 6 months. They lived in Samara (on the Nicoya Peninsula), and I stayed there at their house for a week - it was awesome.

The only sightseeing I did was to go to Arenal to see the volcano, and we stayed at the hotel on the volcano for a night - I don't think that's worth the expense, but it was a nice hotel - if I did it again, I'd probably stay at the bottom of the volcano, in town.

I don't know anything about Montezuma specifically, but it's in the same area as Samara (on the same peninsula, but further down). I went to a few of the beaches in the area - Camronal, Carillo, etc. and they are supposedly much less touristy than the ones up by Playa del Coco and those more northern points.

I did learn a lot about transportation in that country, because I pretty much tried all of the different systems during my time there, so PM me if you want more details.

Bugsey34
12-14-2005, 06:02 PM
Girl I know all about it, I spent 2 weeks there in May this year travelling around the country! I researched FOREVER, so I know it inside and out.

Ask me anything you want, but in terms of Montezuma, GO. It was so fabulous. Please please please stay at El Sano Banano, the beach one. It was awesome.

Basically when I went I split my time between the rain forest/nature and the beach/relaxation. If you want to avoid the expense of renting a car and whatnot, just pick one location like Montezuma. You will get plenty of nature anyway because there are 7 national parks right there at the end of the beach. The howler monkeys used to come every afternoon to eat in the trees around El Sano Banano, I got my best monkey pictures there actually, better than the rain forest hikes in Monteverde.

Sigh... Costa Rica. :)