PDA

View Full Version : New goal: 1,000,000 frequent flier miles.

lonestar
04-14-2006, 11:29 AM
I am trying to build up 1,000,000 frequent flier miles with AAdvantage. I want to do this withing ten years. My job does require some travel, and American is the company carrier (most of the time...occasionally Continental). Specifically, I am looking for some type of loophole program like in the movie "Punch Drunk Love". I have an AA credit card but only make small purchases and by my estimate will only accumulate about 270,000 miles on that in ten years.

What frequent flier program do people on the board belong too, and what (besides flying, obviously) is the best way to accumulate lots of miles.

Maverick434
04-14-2006, 12:12 PM
I'm with Usairways and American. I'm with Hyatt and Westin for my hotel points as well.

If you want status and in general miles with AA, I suggest you check out this page and read it over:
http://members.shaw.ca/fewmiles/AA/recht/challenge.html

That's a great way to earn status quick and therefore earn more miles per flight. As you know, with an increase in status you get more miles per flight than if you were on the bottom tier.

Also this is a great site for travel/business information - http://www.flyertalk.com

Lance

SmilesSoSweet
04-14-2006, 12:35 PM
I just have Southwest and America West (which is now US Airways). I already got a free flight on Southwest since I flew home so much last year because of all of my brother's wedding stuff. It only takes 16 points to get a free flight on Southwest.

With America West, I'm just slowly building up. If I can't get any good flights on Southwest, I use America West. I only really travel between California, Nevada and Arizona.

I think I do have other mileage programs, but that's only because I had to fly a different airline (other than the two major ones I use) to get to a specific desination. I think I only have a few points on Alaska and Northwest.

I don't use any credit cards other than the ones I have with my credit union. So the only other way I add points to my frequent flyer points is by rentings cars with companies the airlines use.

I also have a comp card for Bally's hotel in Vegas. It gets me really good deals on hotel rooms. It's saving all my cousins and me a lot of money when we go to Vegas this summer. I got one room for $100/night! Not bad.

Other discounts I just use my AAA card.

steph78
04-14-2006, 12:44 PM
I have Delta Skymiles. Let's cross our fingers that they don't go bankrupt before I get a chance to use all the miles I have accumulated! :neutral: I don't think I'm ever going to hit 1,000,000 miles, but I DO have enough saved up for a free ticket to Hawaii which I'm pretty excited about and hope to be able to use in 2007.

Delta has a deal where you can sign up an existing credit card (for example, I have a Chase Visa that gives me 5% back on groceries/gas and 1% back on all other purchases) and get Skymiles for some specific purchases like restaurants and hotel stays. So on one purchase I can get the cash back AND Skymiles. I don't tend to eat at most of the restaurants on the list though so it's not adding up all that fast. Still I think it's a good deal (free to sign up).

Also, every time you book a ticket directly through Delta.com instead of using a travelocity, etc. or a travel agent, you get 1000 bonus miles per roundtrip ticket. I have found that the fares on Delta's website are always the same as what the travel agent can get, so I have gotten lots of extra miles by booking my own flights instead of going through our company's travel agent. Like when I fly to DC and back for work, it's about 1054 skymiles for the flight, plus another 1000 bonus miles for booking online - almost like getting double miles!

lonestar
04-14-2006, 02:13 PM
Funny thing about Southwest Airlines...I have been finding out that American is cheaper out of Austin lately...For instance, on a recently booked flight to Norfolk, VA for a family reunion on the outer banks, it was Southwest: $480, American: $301.70. This is booking two months in advance. For shits and giggles, I decided to try booking for my christmas vacation back home to Buffalo...Southwest $500, American $290 (round trip)...I booked the American becuase what the hell...may as well get it early. I also like being routed through DFW...cleaner than Houston Hobby when going on Southwest.

And I thought Southwest was supposed to be the low-fare.

And for Delta people, it looks like the struck a tentative deal so your miles are still good for now...My grandparents live in Cincinnati and I can't imagine what a Delta failure will mean to that town (CVG is a Delta/Comair hub). O/D passenger traffic may not be hit but there are a lot of Delta flight crews that live in Cincinnati.

DELTA: Divert Every Leg To Atlanta.

SmilesSoSweet
04-14-2006, 02:39 PM

LOL, I've also heard it as Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport

I've had good luck on Southwest because most of my flights are into LAX and then back to PHX. I can get PHX to Long Beach, CA on America West which is my home town.

I plan my trips well in advance, so when Southwest releases flights for certain time periods, I book them as I can. I flew home for Thanksgiving last year for $98. America West would have been over $400!

It all depends on where I'm going. If I flew a lot for business (and that's only about three times a year) it's just to our corporate offices in CA, which is either a Southwest or America West flight.

steph78
04-14-2006, 02:41 PM
LOL! Works for me, I live in Atlanta!