PDA

View Full Version : What's the quickest you've packed and moved?

winneythepooh7
04-19-2006, 06:57 PM
Because I just ain't feeling motivated........I am supposed to be outta here on 5/1. I already cleaned out the bathroom and kitchen. Now I need to start on all my closets. Why does moving seem so overwhelming?

and1grad
04-19-2006, 07:24 PM
I once packed all night on Friday for a move on Saturday.

Kitty
04-19-2006, 07:27 PM
I usually pack in 1-2 days and move everything in one day. Whatever you do ...do NOT use UHAUL!!!!!!!

and1grad
04-19-2006, 07:30 PM
Whats wrong with U-Haul?

SmilesSoSweet
04-19-2006, 07:33 PM
Other than this last move, I basically packed minor things a few weeks before and everything else I wait until I get the U-haul so I can just throw it in there. Most of my moves have been local so it was literally just a couple miles down the road.

When I moved out here, I got movers to pack and move my things since my work was paying for my relocation.

I hate moving as well. But moving is a great time to purge and get rid of crap you really don't need.

Kitty
04-19-2006, 07:35 PM
Whats wrong with U-Haul?

I think I have a thread on this..let me search...

Kitty
04-19-2006, 07:37 PM
http://www.quarterlifecrisis.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12082&highlight=uhaul

winneythepooh7
04-19-2006, 07:38 PM
I once packed all night on Friday for a move on Saturday.

Can I be stereotypical and say you are a guy so you don't count cuz you probably don't have as much stuff?

I'm not using UHaul. My boyfriend is using his truck as well as his big work dump truck. He is also going to have some of his workers come to help move stuff. I don't have that much stuff, I just hate packing.

Kitty
04-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Can I be stereotypical and say you are a guy so you don't count cuz you probably don't have as much stuff?

I'm not using UHaul. My boyfriend is using his truck as well as his big work dump truck. He is also going to have some of his workers come to help move stuff. I don't have that much stuff, I just hate packing.

Good to hear!!!!

and1grad
04-19-2006, 08:09 PM
I actually do have a lot of stuff.

cheshrcarol
04-19-2006, 08:32 PM
I actually do have a lot of stuff.Did you ever throw away the 10 years' accumulation of magazines? :razz:

I think the quickest I prepared to move was maybe a couple weeks. The first apartment I had, the owner sold the house and I needed to be out by the end of the next month. I decided to leave that month instead so I could screw him out of the rent because I was pissed at the short notice.

yankeeyosh
04-19-2006, 09:32 PM
I'm so used to moving now it's almost routine now.

I don't have much stuff to begin with, so I can get stuff ready in a single day. Usually I spread it out over several days.

Don't use Budget, by the way...rudest people on the face of the Earth

SunDevil
04-19-2006, 11:15 PM
After finals in college I had to get everything in storage before the dorms closed. I had 48 hours. But, I knew about that ahead of time. Packing to come to Ohio, I found out I was moving on Monday, packed everything on Thursday, was on the road by Friday.

mishl982
04-20-2006, 10:10 AM
Hmm if I had to be out by 5/1 I probably wouldn't start packing until 4/29, hehe.

MetFanL
04-20-2006, 10:42 AM
Winney, why do you have to pack your closet? Just leave everything on hangers and get a rod for the backseat of your car. That's what I do.

It usually takes me a week to pack if I do it every night after work and then I move and unpack in one day. I'm super ridiculous and won't be able to sleep if I'm not "settled," so I just stay up until it's done.

winneythepooh7
04-20-2006, 10:47 AM
Winney, why do you have to pack your closet? Just leave everything on hangers and get a rod for the backseat of your car. That's what I do.

It usually takes me a week to pack if I do it every night after work and then I move and unpack in one day. I'm super ridiculous and won't be able to sleep if I'm not "settled," so I just stay up until it's done.

I have way too many clothes for that LOL. My closet is the size of underneath a whole staircase. Plus I have 2 big dressers. It's sad but I think I am just going to go through everything and if I haven't worn it in a year, toss it. I wish I had the time/motivation to have a yard sale or sell stuff on E-bay. Oh well. I am just like you about the "settled" part so I am taking May 1st and 2nd off from work to unpack.

mishl982
04-20-2006, 11:42 AM
Don't toss, donate :) Or if you have the time between now and then, get some girlfriends together and have a Naked Lady Party!!

For clothes I just throw it all in a box, with or without hangers. A coworker also told me that once she helped someone moved and the guy just took all the clothes in the closet, threw it on his bed, then pulled up the bedsheet and carried it out that way :p

Illuminous
04-20-2006, 11:47 AM
I've move a lot, msotly from one apt to another inthe smae city, but I hate packing. It's it's jsut across town, I can make it in a day or two, if that's all I do.

When i moved here, I found an apartment, packed and dealt with jet lag in about 3 days. Not pleased at doing that.

Right now, I'm preparing at the possibility of a move in the next few months, so i'm in "purge mode" I've gotten rid of about 4-5 garbage bags of clothing and a LOT of kitchen stuff. I'm also trying to repalce lots of mismatched stuff with matching stuff. ie millions of unmatches silverware tossed. one nice 20 piece set of silverware bought.

I'm kinda meticulous.

MetFanL
04-20-2006, 11:49 AM
I have way too many clothes for that LOL. My closet is the size of underneath a whole staircase. Plus I have 2 big dressers. It's sad but I think I am just going to go through everything and if I haven't worn it in a year, toss it. I wish I had the time/motivation to have a yard sale or sell stuff on E-bay. Oh well. I am just like you about the "settled" part so I am taking May 1st and 2nd off from work to unpack.

Yeah, I still wouldn't pack. You've got to take the drawers out of your dresser to move them, just leave the clothes in there. And, I hung my clothes up in the back seat and threw the rest in my trunk. Everything else went in the moving truck.

I still say you don't have to pack your clothes. What a pain in the a*s...

biodork
04-20-2006, 12:17 PM
I don't pack my clothes when I move, I always just pile them all into trash bags lol. And anything on hangers I transport by hangers.

winneythepooh7
04-20-2006, 12:28 PM
Well since the boyfriend is planning to use his work "dump truck" to move all my crap, I guess it would be okay to do a ghetto-garbage bag move LOL. I like the idea of wrapping everything up in a blanket. Nice and easy...........

Lipgloss Boost
04-20-2006, 12:56 PM
I guess that would be when I left Niagara... We made 3 trips from Toronto to Niagara to kart my stuff. It took around 5 hours. Then there was when I moved from the 5th floor to the 7th in my building. That was hillarious.

One word: beer.
It helps.
:)

winneythepooh7
04-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Well, making some more progress. Cleaned out all my drawers and packed up 6 large boxes so far. I just need to go through my closet next which will be a huge-ass chore. I've been throwing out everything. It's so liberating (LOL) and I can't believe the stuff I've accumulated and forgot I had since I've been living here from 2001! My boyfriend and I also decided we are going to throw out all my comforters and most of my sheets/linens/towels and just start fresh. Sometimes you just have to even though it seems wasteful...........

bridgetjones
04-23-2006, 02:34 PM
I have been packing/ preparing on and off for like 2 weeks now. I have books, papers, paintings, CDs and momentos that can be packed away ahead of time. I have donated the excess clothes. I have partially dismantled the Ikea shelving units. Some of the furniture I am taking is already in storage. Some of the linens I am taking are already in boxes. The kitchen crap is already packed. I am still tossing old crap as we speak.

I guess all I got to do is pack my clothing and toiletries at the last minute.

I suppose that I could do it all in a concentrated burst of effort over a full weekend or if I spend every evening packing for a week.

Ya I will be plying my helping pals with beer after all the festivities are done :)

winneythepooh7
04-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I still have most of the week at least to finish up. Plus chances are we probably won't be able to move in this coming weekend. We are meeting with the board of the building on Tuesday night but from what I've been told by both our landlord of the condo we will be renting, and the real estate agent/management office, is that they won't let you move in on a weekend. I guess because everyone is home from work and it hogs the elevators and such. Which is fine with me anyways. I am planning to take off May 1st to move and May 2nd to unpack.

pisces2473
04-23-2006, 02:53 PM
Well since the boyfriend is planning to use his work "dump truck" to move all my crap, I guess it would be okay to do a ghetto-garbage bag move LOL. I like the idea of wrapping everything up in a blanket. Nice and easy...........
I always take a huge clump of clothes out of my closet, throw a garbage bag over it, poke a hole for the hangers, and "tie" them together with an rubber band. They stay together for easy transporting and the bag keeps them clean and dry.

winneythepooh7
04-23-2006, 05:12 PM
'Kay. Just finished cleaning out my huge clothes closet. It's a shame the amount of clothing I am throwing out. Then again, some of it is way out of style, think mid-late 90's style LOL.

Jedi of Zen
04-23-2006, 08:04 PM
Once shortly after I had moved into a house with 3 other people, I quickly realized that I was not going to be able to live with these people. So while they were all out of the house one day, I decided to pack up my stuff and move out (I had already arranged for another place to live.) Since I didn't want there to be any awkwardness by having to tell them in person that I didn't want to live with them, and I had no idea how soon any of them would be returning, I pretty much got all my stuff out in about an hour. Of course, most of it wasn't even unpacked yet, but still. I was impressed with myself. lol.

capella
04-23-2006, 08:12 PM
My husband and I wanted to get out of the little dungeon studio we were living in. We had the place packed, emptied and cleaned in one weekend. Granted, we didn't have a lot of stuff in the studio, but it was still packed pretty full for such a small place. Ugh. Dungeon apartment. It was truly awful. :rolleyes:

mishl982
04-23-2006, 10:34 PM
but from what I've been told by both our landlord of the condo we will be renting, and the real estate agent/management office, is that they won't let you move in on a weekend.
Ew, one place that my roommates and I were interested in last year had these crazy rules about moving in. It was a condo and we were only allowed to use the freight elevator. Then, we could only use the freight elevator when the office manager was in which was M-F 8-5 and I think Thursday was like 8-2! It was impossible for all 3 of us to take off of work as well as recruit friends to help move, so obviously, we couldn't move in.

Hopefully that won't be the case for you, but looks like moving in on a weekday won't be a problem :)

Ew, and I just have to state for the record. I already hate packing as it is, but the WORST is packing up the kitchen!!! There's just so much crap in there and then all the stuff that's fragile that needs to be wrapped!

yankeeyosh
04-23-2006, 10:42 PM
Ew, one place that my roommates and I were interested in last year had these crazy rules about moving in. It was a condo and we were only allowed to use the freight elevator. Then, we could only use the freight elevator when the office manager was in which was M-F 8-5 and I think Thursday was like 8-2! It was impossible for all 3 of us to take off of work as well as recruit friends to help move, so obviously, we couldn't move in.

I had something similar here...you can only use the freight elev, but you can move in on weekends...

bridgetjones
04-23-2006, 11:04 PM
I had to book a 2 hour time slot to use the elevators. I guess that is ok. I am allowed to move in on weekends. Good. That is the only time I can get pals to help and I do not want to spend my vacation time to move!

Now if only the current occupant would pick a day and time already. Blah....

winneythepooh7
04-24-2006, 07:21 AM
My building doesn't have a freight elevator. But I can understand the rule. We looked at the building on a Sunday and there were lots of tenants around.