PDA

View Full Version : My parents just told me they're going to charge me $300 for rent

PVD99
04-30-2006, 01:31 PM
I guess that's not too bad per month, but this means that I will definitely be moving out by summer. I could only milk it for so long! :redface: I'm ready to leave here, anyway.

yankeeyosh
04-30-2006, 04:07 PM
I had to pay $400 a month when I was living at home. Until the most recent tour of duty home, I was trying to save money for grad school at the time, and I couldn't afford rent on my own, anyway, so I stuck with it the best I could.

wordsmith
04-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Are you likely to be able to rent someplace for less?

gymgurl
04-30-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm wondering this as well.

I pay $300/month at home and I couldn't ask for a better deal. It's helped me so much!! How long have you been out of school for? And how old are you?

wordsmith
04-30-2006, 06:14 PM
I mean, I rent a 2BR for that price, but it's an anomaly. I think that's a pretty good deal for living at home.

red
04-30-2006, 06:23 PM
well, if you have a job and you live there, they are well within their right to ask you to pay rent. sounds like they are encouraging you to move on to bigger and better things.

and1grad
04-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Are you seriously complaining about $300?

What am I, in the fucking twilight zone today?

yankeeyosh
04-30-2006, 07:53 PM
I don't think she's complaining more than she feels that maybe it's time to move out. Although in these neck of the woods, it's gonna cost a lot more than $300 to live independently.

MollyMe
04-30-2006, 08:02 PM
$300 is cheap, especially if that includes utilities and food.

pisces2473
04-30-2006, 09:26 PM
well, if you have a job and you live there, they are well within their right to ask you to pay rent. sounds like they are encouraging you to move on to bigger and better things.
I totally agree. If you are earning an income, you should share the expenses.

PVD99
04-30-2006, 09:40 PM

No, we live in Boston. The cheapest that I could probably find would be 800 a month for a very dirty and small studio. :rolleyes:

PVD99
04-30-2006, 09:42 PM
well, if you have a job and you live there, they are well within their right to ask you to pay rent.

Oh this wasn't a complaint post at all. Just more of a general statement. I make enough to move out but I chose to stay at home just to save up for a while and they know that. Now they are noticing that I have a lot of extra money, so they want me to pay.

pisces2473
04-30-2006, 09:46 PM
Oh this wasn't a complaint post at all. Just more of a general statement. I make enough to move out but I chose to stay at home just to save up for a while and they know that. Now they are noticing that I have a lot of extra money, so they want me to pay.
Well, if you were my kid, the moment you got your first pay check, you'd be paying SOMETHING towards the expenses. If you had student loans and stuff, that's fine, I wouldn't make you pay $500/month. But you'd pay something just to show that you're an adult now. Even $50. If you got a raise, the "rent" would go up accordingly.

PVD99
04-30-2006, 10:03 PM
I think my parents were being nice and giving me a break, because they wanted me to save. I told them how much I had saved up, and they immediately were like "whoa ok, time to pay some rent". :redface: I know, I'm spoiled and I've had it easy all my life. Give it to me!

red
05-01-2006, 08:42 AM
so are you going to look for a place on your own or find a share?

winneythepooh7
05-01-2006, 09:56 AM
Are you sure they are actually using the rent for "themselves". I have heard of many parents who charge their kids rent because they know otherwise they will blow all their money. And even if they are also saving, it just gives them more of a "cushion" down the road. I don't know if they'd ever tell you this, and I don't know how cool it would be to ask them, just a thought though because I've seen this done around me............not like the parents would ever willingly share this info with their kids though......

PVD99
05-01-2006, 12:19 PM
No, they don't need the money. I am not a reckless spender, they just said "we think you are too old to not be contributing something". They are right....and yes, i'd have to get a place with someone, the rent around here is too high.

SunDevil
05-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I could see parents setting up a house down payment account of some sort that the kid would get once they moved out and went looking for a house. But, they would have to pay into while they were living at home.

Or, the parents could just make the kid pay the heating and electric bill.

pisces2473
05-01-2006, 09:28 PM
When my mom was first working, she still lived at home. My grandparents asked her for a specific amount of money each week from her paycheck. She didn't know it at the time, but when she got married, my grandparents gave her that money as a nice little nest egg to start off married life with. That was pretty cool of them.