PDA

View Full Version : Vacation request- DENIED

jen428
05-02-2006, 07:38 PM
i have not taken a day off of work seriously in probably 6 months, have never called in sick, and am always early and stay late. i am a damn good employee if you ask me. so i have been saving my vacation time so come summer i can take off every saturday that i have to work (i work every other saturday). i was planning on doing this so i would actually have weekends in the summer. well i turned my request in today.....DENIED. i am not allowed to do that. can a company really tell you that you cant use the vacation time you earned?? i was shocked that they would say no. its not like we are short staffed or anything....

my next plan... get a new job before the summer ha!

SmilesSoSweet
05-02-2006, 07:44 PM
My guess is that they probably denied your request because you're supposed to always work every other Saturday. If you requested maybe one or two Saturdays off, then that might be a different story. But the every Saturday off for the entire summer? . . . that just might be asking for too much.

Employers can deny vacation for whatever reason. I had a roommate who worked every Saturday (she was in car sales) but had Sunday and Monday off. So even though Saturday was her scheduled work day, it was really tough for her to get any Saturday's off unless it was necessary (like she's in a wedding, or planned a vacation - actually leaving on a plane - way in advance).

At the beginning of each calendar year, I look at what vacation time I will need for any planned trips I have for that year. Just because I have ten vacation days a year, doesn't mean I take every Friday off for ten consecutive weeks in the summer - even if I worked many months straight without any sick, personal or vacation days off prior to that.

ebruening
05-02-2006, 07:47 PM
i have not taken a day off of work seriously in probably 6 months, have never called in sick, and am always early and stay late. i am a damn good employee if you ask me. so i have been saving my vacation time so come summer i can take off every saturday that i have to work (i work every other saturday). i was planning on doing this so i would actually have weekends in the summer. well i turned my request in today.....DENIED. i am not allowed to do that. can a company really tell you that you cant use the vacation time you earned?? i was shocked that they would say no. its not like we are short staffed or anything....

my next plan... get a new job before the summer ha!

I work for a school district, so I'm not sure how it works in the "business world." However, all of our vacation requests have to be approved at least two weeks in advance by the superintendent of our district. I have not taken a day off work this year, either, but when I requested a day off in March, I was denied. I don't know why, but I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles. I figured it wasn't worth it to get angry over the denial, but I was likely okay with it because I get ample district-sanctioned vacation time throughout the year, and of course, I have summers off.

Kitty
05-02-2006, 07:50 PM
What do you do exactly?

If you were hired to work Saturdays and you're trying to get it out of it by using vacation only on those days, I can see why it was denied.

yankeeyosh
05-02-2006, 07:53 PM
What do you do exactly?

If you were hired to work Saturdays and you're trying to get it out of it by using vacation only on those days, I can see why it was denied.

Agreed. I assume you're in a position where you have to work 5 days a week, but the days can vary, like a librarian. Seeing that other people will be inconvenienced if you take every Saturday off, it wouldn't really be fair to your coworkers.

jen428
05-02-2006, 08:31 PM
i see what you all are saying. the way i was looking at it is that taking a full week off is far more inconvienent for co-workers ect. than taking 1 day off every 14. i get extreamly backed up at work when someone is gone for a week or so. when someone is out for 1 day, its not bad at all. i work at a day reporting center for kids on parole... im not gonna lie we do nothing on saturdays. its actually a waste of time

pisces2473
05-02-2006, 09:54 PM
I work for a school district, so I'm not sure how it works in the "business world." However, all of our vacation requests have to be approved at least two weeks in advance by the superintendent of our district. I have not taken a day off work this year, either, but when I requested a day off in March, I was denied. I don't know why, but I guess that's just the way the cookie crumbles. I figured it wasn't worth it to get angry over the denial, but I was likely okay with it because I get ample district-sanctioned vacation time throughout the year, and of course, I have summers off.
Wow, I didn't even realize teachers GET vacation time--I thought the only real time off you get was during school breaks and summer. I didn't think you could be gone during the school year unless it was illness or death in the family or something.

ebruening
05-02-2006, 09:57 PM
Wow, I didn't even realize teachers GET vacation time--I thought the only real time off you get was during school breaks and summer. I didn't think you could be gone during the school year unless it was illness or death in the family or something.

My district allows 10 sick/personal days per school year. Maybe other districts handle leave/vacation time differently.

capella
05-02-2006, 10:14 PM

I get hours for every two weeks I work. I currently have 50 hours of sick time and 40 of personal. It's not like it's worth it though. It takes more time and effort to set up for a sub and then clean up after them when you get back. I can take a day whenever I want (we're supposed to put in for personal leave a few days in advance and find a sub, but they never care as long as the sub is lined up for you.

I've taken days off this year. Not so much last year. I took off a day when I closed on my house, sick days when I actually was down and out with the flu and once to fly in for a graduation. That was it last year. This year I don't have the guilt. If I need a day I am taking one. That is what the time is for. Honestly, my district has the least amount of teacher work days or days off of any district around. We don't get a lot of down time to catch up or catch our breath.

AngryMomma
05-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Yeah when I worked at Wal-mart nobody was allowed vacation after either September or October I forget. And no vacation around inventory. And I forget what else crazy. My husband hadn't seen his sister in 5 years one time and we were going to take off to see her for Thanksgiving and they wouldn't let me. I finally got 1 day out of them. 1 day. Looking back, I should have just taken the days I wanted because they're assholes and they needed me so I wouldn't have been fired.

Now in flex-time land if I feel like taking off I just shoot my boss an e-mail and tell him I'm not coming in today. No sweat.

I wonder if you can work something out with a co-worker?

Good luck.

winneythepooh7
05-03-2006, 12:12 AM
As a Supervisor working in a human services-related field, my guess is that they probably denied you knowing that a lot of employees 1.)tend to call out on weekends in the summer and 2.)it's really not fair for one person to have all the weekends off when it's part of their requirements in the job description (I also see this as kind of the same thing as an employee using all their vacation time to take every holiday off). I've worked in environments where weekend coverage was a must, even if nothing was going on. Supervisors also feel confident when they know that they have half-way reliable staff because major craziness often WILL happen on the weekends ;).

pisces2473
05-03-2006, 09:05 AM
It takes more time and effort to set up for a sub and then clean up after them when you get back.
Ahh yes, my mom says the same thing about using her personal/sick days. She's a school nurse, and no one EVER wants to sub. I've been out of the office a few times since starting my job--not sick or really "off" but working off site and it was a HUGE pain in the ass coming back and seeing what wasn't done, what kinds of "surprises" people left for me, etc. I'm taking a week-long vacation in August and I am SCARED about what'll be waiting for me when I get back.

AngryMomma--yeah, my job is retail-related and NO time off btwn November and January.

jrwilheim
05-03-2006, 09:35 AM
At one job I had, they wouldn't let new people take any time in November or December, for any reason. Even shifting your schedule the day before Thanksgiving, to catch a flight, was frowned upon, as I learned when I did it. This wasn't in retail--this was at a law firm.

At least you'll get paid for the unused vacation time.

dreams82
05-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Hey Jen! That stinks. Aren't you up for a new job soon anyway? I put in for the Monday before The Fourth of July, and I probably won't get that day, but it's not a big deal. Sorry man, I know you were saving up your time so you could take time off this summer. Those people are damn lucky to have you!

coll214
05-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Here the main reasons ppl are denied time off is if too many other ppl have requested the time off. For me, I have to be here if my supervisor is off and vice versa. when i first started we weren't allowed to take time off between the end of June and the 3rd week of July, allegedly b/c it was the end of the fiscal year. It created a mad dash to put time in for the rest of the summer...

eejm
05-03-2006, 11:08 AM
Yeah when I worked at Wal-mart nobody was allowed vacation after either September or October I forget. And no vacation around inventory. And I forget what else crazy.

Heh, my mom is a department manager at Wal-Mart. Once, years ago, she was called for jury duty in November. She couldn't get excused. The trial lasted most of the Christmas shopping season too. Legally, Wal-Mart had to let her to it and give her full pay.

Mom says it was the most enjoyable Christmas season she ever had!