PDA

View Full Version : In limbo... need support

K100
05-03-2006, 10:49 AM
Hi everyone. I've posted before, but not in awhile. I am in limbo right now. I graduated college last year with a BA in Psychology and just applied to 3 schools to go for my masters in Social Work starting in Fall 2006. I was job hunting but as we all know, it didn't go quite as planned. I am anxiously waiting to hear back from the schools, I got my materials in before the deadline, but I didnt apply really early, as we were told to go so to get into college. So that is the only thing that can hurt my chances of getting in. But I got them in before the deadline, so everything should be fine right? Is a masters in Social Work program competitive to get into?

Anyway, so in the meantime I quit my waitressing job because I couldnt take it anymore. I am in the process of getting a job working for a psychologist. I would be working with children who have autism. But right now I am in limbo ... I really don't do anything. I have a small job from about 4-7pm but that's it! During the day I go to the gym, go for walks, and tanning. But I am so depressed. On the weekends I visit my boyfriend who lives an hour and a half away, but he's super busy lately with his new job. I just feel like such a loser because I dont do anything right now and feel like I'm just waiting .... waiting to be accepted to school so I can start looking for apartments down there and begin my life.

Does anyone else feel this way? I have been living at home for the past year and ever since I quit my job i feel like I don't get out much. My friends come home every once in awhile but other than that I've been spending time with my mom, which is fine, I love her, but I feel like a big time loser. And the weekends are spend with my boyfriend. But now that his job is starting I feel like I wont be seeing him as much which kills me - we are very serious and talk about getting married once I am finished school and we are both fairly settled.

I'm sorry this post ended up to be so long, but I guess I am wondering if anyone else is unemployed and what do you do to pass the day? I can't sleep some nights because I am constantly thinking about what the next step I should take is. But I already applied to the schools, and my job is the process of getting started. It's just the waiting period and the lonliness that kills me.

Thank you to anyone who has gotten to the bottom of this post! I really appreciate any response I get! I will be more active on the boards because I could really use the support.

WorkInProgress
05-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Well, I don't have a ton to say that will help you, but:

1. Good luck with grad school! I'll keep my fingers crossed.

2. Find something else to do to stay busy. (Keep up your smarts--go to the library and get some books that interest you. Maybe start learning a new language (language lessons on CD). See if you can't volunteer somewhere on a short-term basis. Pick up a hobby that interests you. Bonus points if it's applicable to your intended career path or marketable. Could you pick up a part time job somewhere? It would get you out of the house, doing something, and getting paid. ("In the process" of getting that other job--does that mean that they've agree to hire you and the paperwork just needs to get done, or what?)

K100
05-03-2006, 11:16 AM
("In the process" of getting that other job--does that mean that they've agree to hire you and the paperwork just needs to get done, or what?)

Yes I met with the psychologist on Monday and he is going to call me this week to set up a time for me to come back with paperwork. He gave me a training manual to look over which I need to read. Then I will begin training. I guess studying the training manual will give me something to do during the day!! I just need to get out and be with people ... I do go to the gym and sometimes meet up with my one friend, but I've been really lonely lately and feel like that isn't enough.