PDA

View Full Version : Wait for the Epiphany? or do something now?

flesh_gordon
05-15-2006, 02:47 PM
Just like everyone else, i'm trying to find what career/job suits best to my personality. This is not an easy task as we all know and i'm getting restless.

Should I continue in the job where I am now, not really happy, and wait for the epiphany to happen, or should I go back to school?

I was thinking of entering a trade (electrical to be specific) to give me something to do that pays more $$$ and would be a definite change to what I'm doing now.

So... what's everyone's opinion on waiting for the epiphany or making a change?

J-girl
05-15-2006, 03:24 PM
What would be stopping you from doing it now?

winneythepooh7
05-15-2006, 03:27 PM
Are you interested in actually being an electrician? Or are you just looking for a job to make a quick buck? Also from what I can see in general, making more $$$ does not necessarily equal a new love affair with one's career choice. As far as an "epiphany" I don't see how things like that "just happen". You have to work hard towards goals and even then, things (especially job related) don't necessarily fall from the sky.

Kitty
05-15-2006, 03:28 PM
I think a change might be the catalyst for the epiphany.

flesh_gordon
05-15-2006, 03:35 PM
They should damn well just fall from the sky!!! :D

It would basically just be more money than I'm getting now, and there's plenty of jobs out there. When your interests are sports, video games, and movies there's not a whole lot of career choices. I've tried the video game industry, and it sucks.

I can't get paid for sitting on a mexican beach drinking beers... so i've got to come up with something. I've been with this job for 2 years (testing video games) and the love affair with the industry is lonnnngggg gone. I feel like it's time for a change, but I want to make that change meaningful, and not just entering another field where I'll be bored within months.

I've been trying to find something... meaning think of something, for three years now, and I'm coming up with blanks. My parents are trying to help, but I don't see much in their suggestions. My girlfriend has just about given up suggesting stuff, but she wants to see me in something that will help pay the mortgage. I don't blame her.

I think our generation has too many choices, too many directions to go. My dad put it succintly "In my day, you worked on the family farm or went to school and got a degree in Business". :)

Cole
05-15-2006, 04:37 PM
to quote Madeline Peyroux: "If you wait for time to change your mind, don't wait too long."

Life's too short. Go for it.

I did. I graduate with a massage certification in 2 months and then it's goodbye office work!

flesh_gordon
05-15-2006, 04:55 PM
But where do I start? I've tried to be reflective, but I don't come up with a whole lot. I ALWAYS have some sort of excuse, some negative to every job suggestion that comes along...

I'm just SOOOO sick and tired of feeling like crap at work. I feel bad for my girlfriend for having to put up with my endless complaints, endless gripes, and me not being able to come up with a viable career.

Looking to my Childhood dream doesn't help, as I can't make money digging for dino bones :(

How did everyone else get motivated to get themselves where they are today?

Cole
05-15-2006, 05:06 PM
well, I'm not where I want to be yet. But here's a way to start:

Sit down and make two lists. one of things you DO want in a job and one of things you DON'T. This will sort of be like creating the outlines of the puzzle. It'll at least give you an idea.

for example, I know I want a job where I'm interacting with people, preferably well-educated ones. I don't want to do sales or cold calling. I need mostly daytime but somewhat flexible hours. I'm intersted in arts, healing, and the environment.

that's just a start, but doing that sort of thing has helped me with a provcess of elimination of what I don't want to do.

Or just go try something new. If you hate it, you can do something else. But at least it's better than sitting around and being bored or frustrated all the time.

flesh_gordon
05-15-2006, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the advice so far!

anyone else have differing perspectives? advice or relating story?

flesh_gordon
05-23-2006, 12:54 AM
Update: Decided to apply to that electrical program. Feels good to try and make a change. Might not be EXACTLY what I want to do for the rest of my life, but it's a start and will help to get to my eventual goal of owning vacation property/cabin.

thanks for all of the advice guys!
Chris