PDA

View Full Version : Time for a change?

Empressallie
06-03-2006, 12:18 PM
I've been living in the same city for almost 5 years now (in 3 different apartments). While I have spent 3 summers and one spring elsewhere, I am begining to feel very restless.

I love my apartment, Boston is a very fun city, my job is pretty good, my friends are great. Why am I even considering giving this up? My roomate told me a couple of weeks ago that she is moving to France in the fall. Maybe I am just jealous or something. My landlord wants me to tell her this month whether I will sign on for another year, and then I'll have to begin the search for a new roomate. ugh.

My landlord allowed my previous roomate to sublet to my present roomate a few months before the lease ended last year so I guess I shouldn't worry, for if something came up I could figure something out with her. I shouldnt feel trapped by a lease!

Sorry for this rambling. I just feel so incredibly restless. My roomate is going to teach English in France, how awesome is that! It makes me want to go back to Spain (where i studied abroad) and do something like that. I want to have an exciting life, and continuing to live in the same place for another year just seems so, well, drab. But I have to take into consideration that I actually really like my life right now, and the excitement of moving somewhere exotic would wear off after a while and then I'd be left with having to build an entirely new life. Have any of you dealt with this recently? Feeling content with your life, but wondering if taking on a new adventure would be worth giving up your present way of life?

I think I'll be a restless person forever...

springhaze
06-03-2006, 12:56 PM
I say, do what makes you happy. So if the restlessness is starting to affect the rest of your life and make you unhappy, by all means pick up roots and go teach in English in China or something. You're young- this is the ideal time to have an adventure, right? However, you raise a good point that you might just be suffering from the "grass is greener" syndrome...you have a good life by the sounds of it, so are you happy? If you really are, then maybe stay put and find ways to have adventures closer to home so that you don't have to build an entirely new life somewhere else.

winneythepooh7
06-03-2006, 01:02 PM
I moved out of NYC this May. While I still work there, it was a decision I pondered for a long time. I couldn't be happier though with my "new life". Where I live now is SO much different from where I was before. It's funny what an hour away can do..........but again, if going abroad interests you and you are able, I say go for it. Part of me regrets never going abroad to do International Social Work. Now it will probably never happen since I am in a serious relationship and have 3 pets to take care of ;).