PDA

View Full Version : Pay for a resume?

Sagiquarius
07-04-2006, 12:52 PM
Writing a resume is a pain in the @$$. There I've said it. It's a time consuming and brain-bending exercise for anyone who wants to have a really top notch document. It is high time, however, to update the old fossil that has served me well enough for the past 4 years or so. I'm looking to do much better and I need something that screams "pay me 35 grand a year!" and I don't know if I have the knowledge to do that.

So for a few reasons (lack of time, motivation, resume know-how) I'm considering hiring a professional to write it for me. Let me say, I'm a writer and hiring someone else to write for me smacks of betrayal--of myself, my skills, and my pen. But we all need help sometimes right? When it comes to creating a good product that relates what I HAVE done to what I would like to do...I figure a pro has to know better than I do.

And who has the time? I work everyday 9 to 5:30 and after hours of sitting at my desk the last thing I want to see is a computer screen. I sure I'm not alone in this.

So has anyone ever hired a professional service to write their resume? Is it worth it? The prices run from $100 on up to the $280 range at one website. I may do it just to save time but I'm reluctant to put it into the hands of someone else...Advice?

AuldSyne
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
i think its okay to hire someone else to write your resume. Its just like hiring someone to mow your lawn, dry clean your clothes, wash your car.

I don't see it as betrayal to your profession, since I don't expect to read a biology text book gear towards school written by a famous horror fiction novelist.

Personally, with my line of work, I update my resume monthly by adding to the list of skills learned or other accomplishment. Its nice to look at it and see how your career evolve.

wordsmith
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
I love writing resumes. I'll do it for less than $100.

LakeJay
07-04-2006, 09:12 PM
I love writing resumes. I'll do it for less than $100.

Really? Have you done this for anyone else? If so, what is your process? I'm seriously interested. If you would prefer to, feel free to PM me.

wordsmith
07-04-2006, 09:14 PM
You have mail...well, PM mail.