PDA

View Full Version : Job Offer

spokes
07-06-2006, 12:39 PM
so i have been offered another job (the otehr company approached me so I was not really looking for anything at the current time)- at my current job i would say that i am unahppy, nor am i happy (at the end of the day it is work) - the locations of both offices are within blocks of each other so the commute is a non-issue - the people I work with are nice and I can deal with them, the peole at the other shop seem nice enough as well, I have gone through two seperate job discussions with the new shop and I spent about an hour at the otehr place to see the physical enviroment.

the difference in the cash comp will be about $11k in the first year and less in subsequent years because i am being offered a signing bonus (vacation, medical/dental plan etc are about the same), annual bonus would be about 3% higher than my current bonus.

part of me feels like i'd be dumb to not take the job - but part of me feels like i am just pimping myself out for the most money i can get - perhaps i am just overanalysing this situation because i was not looking for anotehr job at the time - i am not sure what the point of my post it, i guess more or less looking for any type of opinion......thanks.

J-girl
07-06-2006, 12:49 PM
lol you know I was in the same boat two weeks ago. To tell you the truth I was happy at my current job but my progress was slow and I had been there for 18 months already. And now I am having anxiety attacks (not literally) if I will even be happy at the new place. I should have checked out the physical lay out as well. Although now its too late.

Well back to you- how do you feel about the actual job itself? Putting the money and stuff aside.

spokes
07-06-2006, 12:52 PM
two year and a couple of months - that is probably part of my internal struggle is that i usually aim to stay in any given job about 4 yrs - I should also note that I live in an area where the labour market currently favours the employees as most companies are on the look out for people.

spokes
07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
job would basically be same crap as i am doing now.

J-girl
07-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Where do you see more oppurtunities for growth?

spokes
07-06-2006, 02:00 PM
short term there be some opportunity here, but long term is anyones guess and for all i know someone could be getting ready to leave the other shop which could mean another opportunity there.....

i usually have no trouble changing jobs, but this time is harder for some reason.

i wish i owned a functioning crystal ball so i could look over the current time horizon to see what is ahead of the curve.........

J-girl
07-06-2006, 03:27 PM
i wish i owned a functioning crystal ball so i could look over the current time horizon to see what is ahead of the curve.........

No kidding. But I think you should go for it. Diversify as much as you can and boraden your experience. Two years odd is a good time to up and move. But the one thing I would make sure is how secure the company is. As in, where do you see THEM going in the long run etc etc. You dont want to be pimped around just because the economy is good.

Atleast for you its the same location. I am moving to the next corner of the World. Ugh. :0