PDA

View Full Version : Am I a Total Hypocrite?

jrwilheim
07-17-2006, 12:13 AM
Okay, I'm currently looking for new roommates and have posted an ad on Craigslist.

My situation is as follows: I'm taking over the lease to the whole apartment. To do this, I'm taking a massive loan from my grandmother in order to pay the whole year's rent up front and will be paying her back instead of paying rent for the year. I need to do this because I'm currently between jobs and would probably have trouble getting a new lease with no visible means of income apart from some freelance writing/editing work I do for someone I know.

Anyway...in this ad, I've posted that I either want people with $40,000 a year in income or prepayment of the year's rent. I feel I have to protect myself, but at the same time, I feel guilty asking this because I couldn't meet these standards (and my room is the most expensive of the three). So am I just a total hypocrite?

pisces2473
07-17-2006, 12:54 AM
How would your potential roommates ever know how much you make? You need to cover yourself, and your standards are what you want, as the principal tenant. Don't worry.