PDA

View Full Version : Resignation

SparkleInTx
07-19-2006, 10:54 AM
I am giving my resignation today and am a bit nervous about it. My boss (the owner) is not coming into the office and it does not appear he will be coming in anytime soon. So, I will not be able to tell him face to face. I think telling him over the phone is unprofessional so I thought I would send it in writing with another employee who is meeting him later today to get checks I cut signed. Thoughts?

lighthouse4life
07-19-2006, 10:58 AM
I completely understand your dilemma. When I resigned form my last job, I had to do it on a particular day because I was counting on exactly 2 weeks notice, and a week to relocate to another city for the new job. The manager who hired me had a cold and his wife had just given birth. When I asked to meet with him, he referred me to a business manager and said she could speak to me (he obviously did not kow I was resigning at that point). It went okay though. I thikn that if you meet with someoen "equivalent" to your boss in the organization, it might be okay, but then again I do not know the size of that company.

SparkleInTx
07-19-2006, 11:29 AM
The company is in bad shape...it has dwindled from 2 office staff personnel to just 1 (me) and from 3 site superintendents to 1. So, there’s just the superintendent, the boss/owner and me.

Kitty
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
Why are you resigning?

WorkInProgress
07-19-2006, 11:40 AM
The company is in bad shape...it has dwindled from 2 office staff personnel to just 1 (me) and from 3 site superintendents to 1. So, there’s just the superintendent, the boss/owner and me.

Then your leaving really shouldn't be a surprise, right? I mean, it sounds like the handwriting's on the wall.

SparkleInTx
07-19-2006, 12:35 PM
I'm resigning because the company is in BAD shape financially & I am tired of being the only one venders, subs & homeowners have to vent their anger to. It's a bad position to be in, especially considering I have no control over the things they are mad about. If the owner is smart this will not come as a shock to him as I have a child to support and can't wait around and hope the business pulls out of this mess. As I've stated before, the owner rarely comes in to the office so that doesn't build a lot of confidence in me...he's dodging people basically. He stated a few weeks back that we may be closing this office and relocating it closer to where we've started some new projects, which is about 40 minutes from my house (he is planning on me working in that office). As it stands now, I live 2 minutes from work and don't really want to drive 40 minutes. I have been offered a job making more money, will have benefits and the job is only 3 minutes from my house. I think it will be a fun job. It's working at a local beer garden doing bookkeeping, assisting with HR duties, schedules, assist with booking the bands & doing the contracts, inventory, ordering and assisting the owner and manager where needed.

lighthouse4life
07-19-2006, 01:02 PM
Sounds like you have a plan. I say go for it and don't look back! Unless you really need that reference from your current employer, then be careful.

mid30
07-20-2006, 02:07 AM
i think there is no point in staying where you are really. i mean to say is that there is so less staff and you may be expected to fill in for those missing people.in the run, you will get frustrated because you'll be doing more than what is realy expected from you and i dnt believe that there will be any sort of reward or compensation for that, seen that the company's finance is going down.wisest would be to just leave but with a pleasant note.you might need to have reccomendation letter or something so, make sure you are pleasant and dnt take to heart whatever they may say, not until you get what you need from them.