PDA

View Full Version : I finally did it....

coll214
07-26-2006, 11:57 AM
And got a tattoo :huge: yesterday!!

It looks awesome, but you ppl who said it doesn't hurt are out of your cotton-picking minds. hell, I almost passed out twice! The first time psyching myself out and the second when it was all done. :rolleyes:

bleepbloop
07-26-2006, 12:02 PM
I have two, the second one is much bigger and hurt a bit more than the first one. I plan on adding to my first one at some point when I get the money. Congrats! Where did you get it? What of? Share! :)

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 12:05 PM
And got a tattoo :huge: yesterday!!

It looks awesome, but you ppl who said it doesn't hurt are out of your cotton-picking minds. hell, I almost passed out twice! The first time psyching myself out and the second when it was all done. :rolleyes:

But you SAW me get mine! It doesn't feel like being tickled, but it sure wasn't pass-out worthy! :huge:

What'd you get and where?

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 12:07 PM
I have two, the second one is much bigger and hurt a bit more than the first one. I plan on adding to my first one at some point when I get the money. Congrats! Where did you get it? What of? Share! :)

My second one hurt more than my first, too, I think both because of the size and the location, but also because I think the artist went a bit deeper. It's better, clearer work, though.

coll214
07-26-2006, 12:11 PM
It's an irish shamrock done in a Celtic design. The main design itself is black and then shaded from yellow to green. It's on my lower back. I'll have to have my sister take a picture of it so I can post it.

LOL, Jess yeah I know so I thought I was over my fear of tattoos. I think the sound the needle makes is what freaks me the hell out. that and going over the spine, OUCH. My friend that went with me said she'd never seen me so pale or sweating so much :googly:.

bleepbloop
07-26-2006, 12:14 PM
That sounds beautiful!!! Can't wait to see the picture. Yeah my lower back one is the one that hurt a bit, I think for the same reason words (the artist went a bit deeper than my first one).

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Coll, is it like my shamrock?

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 12:19 PM
Here are mine...hee!

P.S. the claddagh is not blurry like it looks in the pic, I was just taking a picture behind my back with an SLR camera, and couldn't focus it right by myself.

SmilesSoSweet
07-26-2006, 12:21 PM
Cool on the tatoo. I can never get one. I guess I'm just one to only have to get a needle poked in me if I have to. I also donate blood every two months and if I get a tatoo, I won't be able to for awhile.

I have seen some really cool ones though. I did date a guy that had a tatoo of Beavis and Butthead on his upper arm. That should have been a very clear sign right there! :rolleyes:

coll214
07-26-2006, 12:30 PM
Here are mine...hee!

P.S. the claddagh is not blurry like it looks in the pic, I was just taking a picture behind my back with an SLR camera, and couldn't focus it right by myself.

LOL, mines bigger and has more celtic knots to it...

embrassezla
07-26-2006, 12:35 PM
i have heard the lower back is a painful spot. i have one right between my shoulder blades that barely hurt at all. it took 3hrs, and i actually started dozing off!

here it is, 7 years old and in need of a major touch up. i have one more, but that's only for IRL people to see :)

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 12:40 PM
lower back was more painful for me than shoulderblades.

coll214
07-26-2006, 12:41 PM
Emb- that looks cool :)

bleepbloop
07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
these are all so pretty!
I have no photos of mine, but I on my lowerback it's two coy fish in black that are in the foreground, and then a red tribal style of the Pisces symbol; i love it. My first tattoo is a tiny heart; I want to add and anchor and wings for hope faith and love (I want to sub wings for the cross).

embrassezla
07-26-2006, 12:49 PM
lower back was more painful for me than shoulderblades.
interesting that she mentioned that it hurt on the spine though - mine is right on my spine and was fine. how interesting! my other tattoo is on my hip, and it hurt like bloody hell.

and thanks coll! :)

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Both mine are on my spine...just one's near the top, one's near the base. I didn't notice for me that it hurt anymore over the spine, but I did notice that the outlining hurt more than the shading,probably because it went deeper.

embrassezla
07-26-2006, 12:55 PM
I did notice that the outlining hurt more than the shading,probably because it went deeper.
I had the same experience and asked the artist why that was. I recall him saying that the outline uses fewer and larger guage needles, while the shading uses a lot of very small guage needles. Depth could play a part as well.

I tend to think that really fleshy areas hurt more than moderately fleshy ones do.

coll214
07-26-2006, 02:26 PM
I always thought I had a high threshold for pain, but notsomuch with that. Within 20 minutes of him starting, I was a ghost. And I must've looked a sight 'cuz everyone else was staring too! LOL. And even more embarassing when it's someone doing it who I know :redface:. But the end result looks great, and that's what matters!

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 02:27 PM
The pain doesn't last, either!

blueyes
07-26-2006, 02:33 PM
Words, Coll -

does the pain during the tattooing go away? I've been entertaining the idea of a tattoo on my lower back for a couple of years now* (I know what I want and where); a friend of mine who got one done recently said that after the initial 'ouch', the area goes sort of numb and you don't feel much significant pain.

*I am so freaking afraid of needles...

bleepbloop
07-26-2006, 02:35 PM
I took a break after 10 minutes and at that point that whole spot was numb from the pain I guess, and it didn't hurt at all for the next hour.

embrassezla
07-26-2006, 02:37 PM
does the pain during the tattooing go away?
when the needle isn't touching you, it doesn't hurt. it's "line, lift, line, lift" repeat. during the "lift" parts, no pain.

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 02:40 PM
I never took a break, but each of mine took under an hour. They didn't hurt badly to me, except for the outlining, and that hurt no matter where it was in the process.

I actually am needle phobic, when it comes to shots. I can't stand the idea of intervenous injection. But a tattoo needle is somebody etching on a few layers of dermis, not a needle going deep into your body. It's like a vibrating pen with a sharp point...not like a big hypodermic (which make me wanna pass out). It's just different.

embrassezla
07-26-2006, 02:42 PM
it doesn't feel like a needle piercing you either. it feels like a slow, burning drag. haha. that doesn't sound so good, but if you're needle-phobic, maybe that helps.

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 02:46 PM
To me, it felt, alternately, like a slight burning sensation, and being scratched. Some discomfort, but nothing crazy.

The best way I can put it is this...I'm very fair-skinned, as my posted photos earlier show. And I've had numerous sunburns that caused more discomfort than being tattooed, by far. It was absolutely less painful than a sunburn.

and1grad
07-26-2006, 02:47 PM
when the needle isn't touching you, it doesn't hurt.
LOL! Awesome.

I have to ask...whats up with this all new fear factor Colleen? You're skydiving, getting tattoos. You're starting to sound like a Mountain Dew commercial. You go! I only have 1 tattoo right now, as you know. I'll be getting a second one once I find the design I want.

meatwad
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I was always partial to the Jesse James, "Pay Up Sucka!" tatooed on the palm of the hand. :D

embrassezla
07-26-2006, 02:49 PM
i think that's what she was asking - even when the needle isn't touching you, does it hurt/burn/etc. maybe i read her question wrong :)

pisces2473
07-26-2006, 02:51 PM
COLL!!!!!!! You did it?!!??!!? Holy crap!!! Why didn't you remind me???

Um, by the way, I'm having you wear a LOOOWWWW backed dress for the wedding. Might wanna cover that up ;)

tina1979
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM
OH MY GOD!!! How did I miss this thread?!!!

It sounds awesome Coll!!

I have 4 myself. The first one hurt the worst, but I just put that as not really knowing what it eas going to feel like. My fourth one is another butterfly underneath the little one on my shoulder.

tina1979
07-26-2006, 03:03 PM
I was always partial to the Jesse James, "Pay Up Sucka!" tatooed on the palm of the hand. :D
I love that tatt.

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 03:04 PM
My shoulderblade shamrock showed in my brother's wedding last summer, Jen. The dresses had symmetrical v necklines in front and back, and I had an updo. It looked fine. In fact, it was how the photographer differentiated my sister and I (we look a ton alike)!

pisces2473
07-26-2006, 03:06 PM
My shoulderblade shamrock showed in my brother's wedding last summer, Jen. The dresses had symmetrical v necklines in front and back, and I had an updo. It looked fine. In fact, it was how the photographer differentiated my sister and I (we look a ton alike)!
I was only joking around, trying to be a Bridezilla, since I'm totally not one at all. :huge:

tina1979
07-26-2006, 03:06 PM
I never took a break, but each of mine took under an hour. They didn't hurt badly to me, except for the outlining, and that hurt no matter where it was in the process.

I actually am needle phobic, when it comes to shots. I can't stand the idea of intervenous injection. But a tattoo needle is somebody etching on a few layers of dermis, not a needle going deep into your body. It's like a vibrating pen with a sharp point...not like a big hypodermic (which make me wanna pass out). It's just different.
same here. afraid of shots. tatts don't bother me a bit. LOL you know that though. You were with me on my last one.

Yours still looks good. You happy with the size?

wordsmith
07-26-2006, 03:08 PM
Very! It's funny how worried I was that it was too large, because I think it's perfect.

meatwad
07-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Very! It's funny how worried I was that it was too large, because I think it's perfect.

See. Why won't women believe me when I tell them that smaller is better. :D

tina1979
07-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I thought it was perfect too. I'm glad I had a part in talking you into it. Now you will remember me forever :huge:

coll214
07-26-2006, 04:12 PM
LOL! Awesome.
I have to ask...whats up with this all new fear factor Colleen? You're skydiving, getting tattoos. You're starting to sound like a Mountain Dew commercial. You go! I only have 1 tattoo right now, as you know. I'll be getting a second one once I find the design I want.
LOL, it's all stuff i've always wanted to do and been too chicken shit to do i guess :huge:. and no time like the present!!

blueeyes- Mine hurt. From start to finish. I seriously got so freaked out after 20 mins I think the poor guy didn't think i'd be able to finish I was so pale and in a cold sweat. There is the burning sensation while he was doing it, but the spot never went numb to me. I made sure my sister and friend that went with me kept distracting me constantly. Then once he was done and I stood up, it happened all over again. Today it doesn't hurt, but I definitely feel it.

coll214
07-26-2006, 04:14 PM
yours did come out pretty cool :). I think around then is when I seriously started considering getting one again too!

coll214
07-27-2006, 11:31 AM
Well here it is; not a great pic, but...

tina1979
07-27-2006, 11:42 AM
awesome! that turned out great!!!

shimma
07-27-2006, 11:44 AM
i like it!

why dont they give you anasthetic?

tina1979
07-27-2006, 11:45 AM
i like it!

why dont they give you anasthetic?
that woud jack the cost up even more.

plus its kind of a rite of passage.. :)

shimma
07-27-2006, 12:02 PM
that woud jack the cost up even more.

plus its kind of a rite of passage.. :)

ow. can you maybe just sign the consent forms, then get totally wasted as they put the needles in your skin, so you don't feel anything?

bleepbloop
07-27-2006, 12:02 PM
coll-- GORGEOUS. I love it!

wordsmith
07-27-2006, 12:03 PM
Yeah, I've never known anyplace that does anesthetic.

That's really pretty, Coll, it's the same colors as mine (speaking of which, be careful, green tends to fade...but you probably won't get that much sun exposure there).

coll214
07-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Thanks guys! :huge:

wordsmith
07-27-2006, 12:10 PM
ow. can you maybe just sign the consent forms, then get totally wasted as they put the needles in your skin, so you don't feel anything?

Hehehe. A lot of places aren't supposed to tattoo you if you're inebriated, but when we all went to get mine and Tina's at the QLC Austin meet, the studio told us we should get them in the afternoon, b/c they'd be flooded with the drunkies and partiers when the bars and other stuff on 6th Street closed that night...and we did stop in afterbar, and they sure were.

coll214
07-27-2006, 12:17 PM
Hehehe. A lot of places aren't supposed to tattoo you if you're inebriated, but when we all went to get mine and Tina's at the QLC Austin meet, the studio told us we should get them in the afternoon, b/c they'd be flooded with the drunkies and partiers when the bars and other stuff on 6th Street closed that night...and we did stop in afterbar, and they sure were.
LOL, that was insane, it was wall to wall people! The place I went was spotless. and i think it helped I knew the owner (went to HS w/ him) and the tattoo artist :huge:- whose the preppiest tattoo artist i've ever met! LOL.

wordsmith
07-27-2006, 12:19 PM
Both my tattoos were done by guys who looked like extras from a Rob Zombie film.

embrassezla
07-27-2006, 12:22 PM
you reeeeally shouldn't get tattooed while intoxicated. your blood is very thin and it makes it difficult for the artist to do good work.

and you don't need anesthetic! sheesh, it's not surgery. the pain is VERY manageable, and when it's bad, you can request breaks.

wordsmith
07-27-2006, 12:24 PM
you reeeeally shouldn't get tattooed while intoxicated. your blood is very thin and it makes it difficult for the artist to do good work.

This is what I was told, as well. Besides the increased likelihood that you will act stupid and move when you shouldn't and make the artist eff it up and generally be dumb.

coll214
07-27-2006, 12:26 PM
some places around here won't even do it if you look intoxicated when you walk in, they don't want anyone coming back later claiming drunkeness as the reason they hate their tattoo.

wordsmith
07-27-2006, 12:29 PM
Every place that's local reserves the right to refuse to tattoo you if you're wasted, but for a place like where we went on 6th Street, in an entertainment district, you know the after-bar crowd is their bread and butter. I'm sure they're turning nobody away.

tina1979
07-27-2006, 12:31 PM
LOL, that was insane, it was wall to wall people!
yes, but sean still took the time to stop and flirt with me some more. :huge:

Brillo25
07-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Congrats Coll! I like it.

I'm thinking of getting one too. Just something subtle. Like shaving my head and having an image of my own face tattooed to the back of my head. Just a starter one like that, or something. :)

embrassezla
07-27-2006, 12:33 PM
my friend started apprenticing at a tattoo shop, and he practiced on a very large, very drunk man getting a HUGE tribal on his upper arm. the pics looked okay to me, but he said there was so much blood, he couldnt tell what he was doing or how deep he was going and the guy is gonna end up with a lot of scar tissue. :eek:

tina1979
07-27-2006, 12:38 PM
my friend started apprenticing at a tattoo shop, and he practiced on a very large, very drunk man getting a HUGE tribal on his upper arm. the pics looked okay to me, but he said there was so much blood, he couldnt tell what he was doing or how deep he was going and the guy is gonna end up with a lot of scar tissue. :eek:
there is no way I would practice on anyone big enough to beat me up later

paiger81
07-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, since we are all sharing our tattoos, I'll add mine to the mix. Sorry the pic is lopsided. I was sitting at my desk trying to take the pic, lol. They are on my lower back. The cross was done by a dude who only had 1 eye!!! :surprised

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/paiger81/P1010073.jpg

And once I get to goal weight, I want something similar to this tattoo

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d26/paiger81/Elephant.jpg

meatwad
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
Hmmmm...clover tattoo on your lower back. Someone trying to get lucky? ;)

embrassezla
07-27-2006, 12:41 PM
there is no way I would practice on anyone big enough to beat me up later
hee, my friend is a former marine, so i guess he wasn't worried :)

tina1979
07-27-2006, 12:50 PM
Hmmmm...clover tattoo on your lower back. Someone trying to get lucky? ;)
my sister has a four leaf clover on her lower back. she is thinking of getting words under it that say something to the effect of feeling lucky or lucky you

hee, my friend is a former marine, so i guess he wasn't worried thats always a good thing. :razz:

there is a tattoo I want to get on my foot, but I hear that is a MOST painful place to get it. I am trying to find a pic on the web that would resemble what I want. I may just have to break down and take a pic of the pic in the magazine to post on here. The magazinee has a site, but its only for ordering subscriptions

shimma
07-27-2006, 01:24 PM
lucky you

it says that on the fly of lucky jeans. :lol:

embrassezla
07-27-2006, 01:27 PM
there is a tattoo I want to get on my foot, but I hear that is a MOST painful place to get it.
that is a really attractive tattoo spot, IMO. my old roommate was a tattoo artist (now that i think of it, i know a lot of tattoo artists), and he used to have tattoo parties in our apartment where he'd tattoo anyone for free. a girl we worked with got one on her foot, and she was in some MAJOR pain everytime the gun touched her. but it didnt take too long, and it looked awesome!

tina1979
07-27-2006, 01:42 PM
it says that on the fly of lucky jeans. :lol:
yeah. thats where she got it from.

she thought about putting lucky me above it since it shows above her jeans an then lucky you below it since she has to pull her waist band down to see the bottom of it. In the end she figured that would be too much, and she is still considering her options.

embrassezla-
I really like it on the foot too. this one would be a bunch of little butterflies starting at about the middle toe and wrapping around to the inside of my ankle. I'm all about tattoos, but even I am a bit squeamish at the thought. My sister has a tiny one below her big toe and she said it hurt really bad, so i don't know. I really, really want it though.

paiger81
07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
there is a tattoo I want to get on my foot, but I hear that is a MOST painful place to get it.

When my pups pass away, I've always planned on getting little dog paws on my foot. :huge:

embrassezla
07-27-2006, 01:53 PM
When my pups pass away, I've always planned on getting little dog paws on my foot. :huge:
that is so cute! i've thought about doing something for my furballs, even while they are here.

tina1979
07-27-2006, 02:17 PM
too cute! i have 3 butterflies already thats why I want to get a little whimsical (sp?)trail of them across my foot

coll214
07-27-2006, 02:45 PM
When he was finishing up with mine, a chick walked into to get a little butterfly on her foot. She was gripping onto her father for dear life and the artist had to stop every few minutes to let her compose herself! They do look cut on the foot, but owie!!

tina1979
07-27-2006, 02:51 PM
When he was finishing up with mine, a chick walked into to get a little butterfly on her foot. She was gripping onto her father for dear life and the artist had to stop every few minutes to let her compose herself! They do look cut on the foot, but owie!!
yeah, i'm thinking I am going to have to figure something out. I don't have a low pain threshold, but its certainly not high either. :neutral:

workaholic?
07-27-2006, 02:57 PM
since we're sharing...i have a tattoo on my right butt-cheek that is two japanese characters. to explain the meaning though, i have to give the story.

okay, so when i was deciding what to get, i went through basically an online Kanji dictionary, and as i was sifting through my friends and i found the words for dirty and for lover. lover is actually two different characters literally translated as love person. so anyway, we kind of thought that would be funny to tattoo on my ass, so i printed it out. well then i talked to my best friend from home and she said she wanted to be with me when i did it, so to satisfy all parties, i told her i would go ahead and get the first part of it and leave the third character off, and then she could go with me to get it finished. so i printed off "dirty love" in kanji.

then, i started getting a little worried that i would regret that, so i found the symbols for "private property" instead...also funny on my ass. so i printed that.

when i got ready to leave to go to the parlor, i had put the private property printout in my purse. then the phone rang or something and i got distracted and on my way out the door, i thought i'd forgotten the printout so i reached in my desk drawer and grabbed it (again...). so, i didn't know that i actually had "dirty love" and "private property" both in my purse. When the parlor girl asked me what i wanted the tattoo to be, i pulled out the paper, handed it to her and never thought anything of it.

A couple days later, i was looking at my tattoo and thought, wow that one character really looks the same as the "love" character. i reached in my purse and found the two papers there....i had gotten the wrong tattoo. So i went to my friend who had gone with me and told her what had happened. She of course died laughing and said that something like that could only happen to me.

Now, only the privileged get to know that i actually have "dirty love" stamped on my ass...usually when i tell people i have a tattoo i tell them it means private property, and it's just my own little secret to share with those whom i deem worthy!

tina1979
07-27-2006, 03:02 PM
workaholic?-
lol!!! That a great story. I probably would have been pissed as hell if it had happened to me, but I would hope that I could lagh about it later too.

workaholic?
07-27-2006, 03:07 PM
i wasn't really too mad...just felt kinda silly and a little stupid. Now a couple years later, i find that it's a great story to tell and it's fun to have that little secret.

meatwad
07-27-2006, 03:10 PM
Anyone like Type-O Negative? :D

"To make it clear that you can't bone me
My tattooed ass reads "exit only"

embrassezla
07-27-2006, 03:12 PM
what a great story, workaholic!

tina1979
07-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Anyone like Type-O Negative? :D

"To make it clear that you can't bone me
My tattooed ass reads "exit only"
I do! I do! :huge:

SunDevil
07-27-2006, 07:08 PM
Now, only the privileged get to know that i actually have "dirty love" stamped on my ass...

Or if you wear a bathing suit in Japan. :)

I don't understand the whole tattoo thing though.

wordsmith
07-27-2006, 07:11 PM
What's not to understand? The permanence?

SunDevil
07-27-2006, 07:30 PM
That is a big part of it. It will be there for the rest of your life or until you pay thousands of dollars to get it removed. A small one doesn't matter much, but a large one would change over time.

The other is, what does it do for you?

wordsmith
07-27-2006, 09:13 PM
It's pretty. Mine both have to do with my heritage, and also, the designs were chosen during (and remind me of) a really good time in my life, when I was a student in the country of one side of my family's heritage. They're not pointless, trendy designs I'll be sick of at some point, or ones that are will look stupid on me as I get older (yeah, I'm talking to you, guy with Casper the Friendly ghost on your pectoral). They're pretty timeless.

I don't mind the permanence, because they're each designs that I contemplated for more than half a decade before committing to them. I decided that if, after five years, I still wanted them, I'd get them. So, that's what I did. I also got each at a particularly significant time in my life.

Also, each is on my back. I don't see them unless i want to, so it's not like something you look at all the time and get sick of. I also intentionally got them both in spots where the skin isn't as likely to change drastically as I age, wrinkle excessively, or sag/droop. And they're both small, so distortion is minimal.

Another big reason I got them is specifically because I don't look like "a tattoo girl," and I don't act like "a tattoo girl." Whatever that is. My former roommate, who I met up with last weekend after several years' of not seeing eachother, caught a glimpse of my shamrock celtic knot peeking out from my camisole in the back, and was like, "YOU??! A tattoo? No way." I kind of like that surprise element.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 08:46 AM
That is a big part of it. It will be there for the rest of your life or until you pay thousands of dollars to get it removed. A small one doesn't matter much, but a large one would change over time.

I like it. Plain and simple.

if you want the long drawn out version. When I was about 5, 6 something like that, my mom's cousin come down for a visit. He was a "bad boy", he had tattoos on his arms and I was completly enthralled by his tatts and his attitude towards me. I have wanted a tattoo ever since.

I turned 18 and I got the one on my leg. There was no other real reason than I was finally ready to get what I had wanted for the past 10 years.

A year later my best friend wanted to get a tattoo and was scared. She picked out a cute butterfly and asked me to get a tattoo with her. We got matching tatts.

The butterfly on my lower back is a reminder of the trip I took to Dallas with my sister. The first and most spontaneous thing I have ever done. Decided to go friday afternoon and left friday after work. It was great!

The last tattoo I got is of another butterfly, which I got when I went to Austin. Its a reminder of my first QLC meet up and of the great friends that I met there.

Oh! and 3 of my tatts are on my back and one on the side of my leg. The only one I ever see is the one on my leg unless I see a pic of myself or look in a mirror. So I don't get tired of them. They are all in places where if I don't want them to be seen they won't be. Pants and shirts will cover them. My place of business doesn't mind them, but there are still a few people around here who have probably never glimpsed at my tatts.

Hope that helps

coll214
07-28-2006, 09:27 AM
For me, I had been thinking about it for a loooong time. And like WS, i'd have to say most wouldn't consider me a 'tattoo girl'. And on my back, no one is seeing it unless I want them to. So I sat on the idea for years, finally made an appointment and even then waited a month after that...

paiger81
07-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Similar to Tina, I have wanted one since I was a small child, like 5 or 6. I remember telling people I wanted them when I was a kid & they'd laugh & say I "shouldn't say things like that" and "girls don't do things like that". Well, that possibly reinforced my rebelious nature & made me want them more.

When I turned 18, I got the fairy--mind you, this was before the whole "everybody wants a fairy tattoo" if you would have known me then, I had this fairy obsession & still have some $$$ fairy statues that are collectors items.

Tattoos are addicting, IMO, but I made a promise to myself that I'd only get them if they mean something. After my gramps died & I had all my OCD issues, I got the cross to remind me of him(he like the color blue) & of my faith that everything has a purpose.

The elephant I will get when I get to my goal weight, because elephants make me think of big, beautiful, gentle creatures. It will remind me of my weight struggles.

I have plans for a flower in a flower pot, that one of my friends that was killed in high school, drew for me. I just haven't figured where I'm gonna put it yet.

And again, the dog paws when the pups pass away.

To me, tattoos commemorate things & people that I don't want to forget. They are for me, and me only, so if people don't like them, I don't much care, I didn't get them for other people to judge.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Tattoos are addicting

I agree with this. I would have alot more if I had the money and if I could figure out where to put it so that I don't think it looks "trashy".

I don't like a lot of randomly placed tatts. I like the ones that are well thought out and they all seem to flow together. It doesn't have to be a theme, but just that they look good where they are. Does that make any sense?

paiger81
07-28-2006, 11:38 AM
I don't like a lot of randomly placed tatts. I like the ones that are well thought out and they all seem to flow together. It doesn't have to be a theme, but just that they look good where they are. Does that make any sense?

Yup. That's sorta my issue with my cross & fairy. They don't really go together, so I'm looking into MAYBE putting a boy fairy on the other side to "balance" me out, that way it flows.

I'm 99% sure the elephant is going on my ankle.....but again, being in the business industry, I'm not sure if that's a step I want to take. But again, I generally always wear slacks or dress pants.

and1grad
07-28-2006, 11:48 AM
To me, tattoos commemorate things & people that I don't want to forget. They are for me, and me only, so if people don't like them, I don't much care, I didn't get them for other people to judge.
Bingo. And honestly, if you cant understand THAT, then you'll never understand why people get em.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 11:49 AM
I'm 99% sure the elephant is going on my ankle.....but again, being in the business industry, I'm not sure if that's a step I want to take. But again, I generally always wear slacks or dress pants.

I wouldn't worry about getting a tattoo on my ankle. I have one (again my company has no problems with visible tatts as long as it isn't nude or vulgar), but in cases where I know I don't want someone to see it, such as I have a meeting or we have customers coming in I will wear slack, a long skirt or opaque tights, socks, whatever. And to make it less noticable you may think about putting it on the inside of your ankle instead of the outside.

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 12:13 PM
I agree that they're addictive...

I told myself I can't get anymore, though, b/c I've used up my prime real estate.

mishl982
07-28-2006, 12:32 PM

That's the thing though. If you are going to get a tattoo that you know you'll end up getting removed, then you don't get one. Most people who get tattoos get it knowing that they will be happy with it forever - that's why tats that symbolize something or have a special meaning are better than trendy designs or something with your SOs name on it.

And FYI I'm someone without a tattoo.

SmilesSoSweet
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM
That's the thing though. If you are going to get a tattoo that you know you'll end up getting removed, then you don't get one. Most people who get tattoos get it knowing that they will be happy with it forever - that's why tats that symbolize something or have a special meaning are better than trendy designs or something with your SOs name on it.

I've also heard a few people who got tatoos at 18 and now say it was a regret but don't want to spend the money to get one.

Some are really cool. I just like seeing one or two on someone, not a full arm of tatoos.

I don't have one and I probably won't ever get one because I just wouldn't know where exactly on my body I'd put a tatoo and what it would be of.

And like I said in an earlier post, I donate blood too often that I wouldn't be able to donate if I got one (and my blood type isn't all too common, which is why I donate.)

meatwad
07-28-2006, 12:42 PM

A friend of mine drew his tattoo in permanant marker and walked around with it for a month or two before getting it inked. :D

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 12:46 PM
I've also heard a few people who got tatoos at 18 and now say it was a regret but don't want to spend the money to get one.

Some are really cool. I just like seeing one or two on someone, not a full arm of tatoos.

I don't have one and I probably won't ever get one because I just wouldn't know where exactly on my body I'd put a tatoo and what it would be of.

And like I said in an earlier post, I donate blood too often that I wouldn't be able to donate if I got one (and my blood type isn't all too common, which is why I donate.)

My blood type's fairly rare, and there is a time period after getting a tattoo where you can't donate, but it doens't matter for me,because I don't donate anyway. I'd like to. Unfortunately, the Red Cross doesn't want anemic blood.

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 12:47 PM
A friend of mine drew his tattoo in permanant marker and walked around with it for a month or two before getting it inked. :D

My sister did a temp of hers before committing to it.

paiger81
07-28-2006, 12:53 PM
Yeah, you have to wait 6 or 12 months after getting a tattoo before you can begin donating again, don't remembe which, but I still donate blood.

WorkInProgress
07-28-2006, 12:56 PM
Yeah, you have to wait 6 or 12 months after getting a tattoo before you can begin donating again, don't remembe which, but I still donate blood.

Minorly unrelated: You have to wait the same amount, I think, for a piercing too.

SmilesSoSweet
07-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Minorly unrelated: You have to wait the same amount, I think, for a piercing too.

Last time I donated blood, they basically said that they're not as strict with the piercing as the are with the tatoos (I have no idea though!).

I just have the basic piering on each ear.

And I donate blood every two months, so to skip for a six months to a year, a long time for me.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 01:09 PM
If a guy has the right attitude and the tatts are themed then I love sleeves. I don't really care for them as much on women, but I eally do like them on guys.

I knew a guy with both arms done aquatic. His sleeves were actually really beautiful.

paiger81
07-28-2006, 01:19 PM
Yeah, personally, I think Carey Hart (http://24ur.com/media/images/extra/Jan2006/16088864.jpg) is such a hottie

embrassezla
07-28-2006, 01:35 PM
Most people who get tattoos get it knowing that they will be happy with it forever - that's why tats that symbolize something or have a special meaning are better than trendy designs or something with your SOs name on it.
Eh, I disagree with this. I dated a guy that was mostly covered in tattoos. Some of them were meaningful/symbolic, most of them were just artwork. He was an artist, and he drew all of his tattoos, and they were beautiful. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, and there are lots of people who get tattoos for the aesthetic aspect alone.

This is from someone with both a meaningful/symbolic tattoo, and an SOs name tattoo :razz:

paiger81
07-28-2006, 01:44 PM
and an SOs name tattoo :razz:

OOOOOOhh!! Yeah, I don't do names. That SCARES me. The closest I can do is symbolic, like the starburst my fairy is looking at. Starburst is a nickname Kirk gave me when we were in High school. That's as much of a tribute he gets..

tina1979
07-28-2006, 01:47 PM
i won't do SO either. When I got married he wanted me to tattoo his name on me, but umm.... we all know what happened there.

The only names I will EVER have on me is my daughter, and my parents/family. That will never change. They will always be my family, but when it comes to SOs you NEVER know. no matter how secure you are in the relationship when you get it.

embrassezla
07-28-2006, 01:50 PM
Hee, I wasn't trying to start a debate on that, just pointing out that I've got tatts from both ends of the spectrum.

But by all means debate :). Name tatts aren't for everyone. I like the starburst idea though, Paige. That's a cute way to do it!

embrassezla
07-28-2006, 01:51 PM
i won't do SO either. When I got married he wanted me to tattoo his name on me
I hope he was willing to get yours as well! Otherwise I'd be like, "hello, ego".

tina1979
07-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Hee, I wasn't trying to start a debate on that, just pointing out that I've got tatts from both ends of the spectrum.

But by all means debate :). Name tatts aren't for everyone. I like the starburst idea though, Paige. That's a cute way to do it!
Not trying to debate.. If you look at my track record I have involved myself in very few debates. Just giving my opinion on why I don't SO tatts. More oower to those who do. I wish I had that kind of faith.

However I do have one guy that we were going to tattoo each others initials on us. We dated when I was around 17, it didn't work out be we have been friends since then. Lost touch for about 5 years, but found each other again recently. Our friendship picked up like it never went away. We were both goths when we were younger ( he still is mostly) our initials together, TOMB. He thought it was brilliant and made a cool design with our initials in the middle. Having TOMB tattooed on my body wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Recently has begun designing a butterfly tattoo for both of us to get. Its taking a while though because he wants it masculine enough that he feels comfortable with it, but girlie enough that I am comfortable with it. He is supposed to incorporate our initials in there somewhere so its not hugely noticable. We'll see how it comes out.

embrassezla
07-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Not trying to debate.. If you look at my track record I have involved myself in very few debates.

I know that, woman! :razz:

However I do have one guy that we were going to tattoo each others initials on us. We dated when I was around 17, it didn't work out be we have been friends since then. Lost touch for about 5 years, but found each other again recently. Our friendship picked up like it never went away. We were both goths when we were younger ( he still is mostly) our initials together, TOMB. He thought it was brilliant and made a cool design with our initials in the middle. Having TOMB tattooed on my body wasn't exactly what I had in mind. Recently has begun designing a butterfly tattoo for both of us to get. Its taking a while though because he wants it masculine enough that he feels comfortable with it, but girlie enough that I am comfortable with it. He is supposed to incorporate our initials in there somewhere so its not hugely noticable. We'll see how it comes out.
So you might get this tattoo still, to commemorate your past relationship? That's pretty cool - it could be neat if you got a butterfly with the initials, and he got something more masculine with the initials, so that they went together but aren't exactly the same.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 02:09 PM
So you might get this tattoo still, to commemorate your past relationship? That's pretty cool - it could be neat if you got a butterfly with the initials, and he got something more masculine with the initials, so that they went together but aren't exactly the same.
He is the one stuck on the idea of matching tatts. We aren't really commemorating our past relationship as we are the longevity (sp?) The fact that everything we have both been through we are both really good friends and although we both believe in different things spiritually, and politically, and he his much more aggressive (ie..can be a real @sshole) somehow our relationship works. I call him on his bs and he calls me on mine, but somehow we manage to stay friends. *shaking head*We have an odd relationship... :rolleyes:

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 02:37 PM
I'm not big on name tattoos, or ones with words, either.

Although I do know a girl who worked some Latin around a sun design that had a motto meaningful to her and it looked pretty cool. I toyed with the idea of getting something Gaelic inscribed around either of mine, but I'm not sold.

They're not matching tatoos, but my siblings and I (minus my one more conservative brother, but the remaining three of us) all have similar Celtic-themed ones, so it's a unifying thing for us.

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 02:50 PM
I know a woman who has a star tattooed on her back for each person in her life who has died.

shimma
07-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I know a woman who has a star tattooed on her back for each person in her life who has died.

my back would look like the sky on a clear night in the middle of the ocean. :sad:

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 02:56 PM
So does hers, and it kind of creeps me out, because it makes her come off a bit obsessed.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 02:57 PM
I really like the tattoo that angelina jolie got when she adopted maddox. its a prayer written in sanskrit. I though about doing something similar to that (getting a prayer or meanigful verse, not the sanskrit), but something that is meaningful to me.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM
So does hers, and it kind of creeps me out, because it makes her come off a bit obsessed.
does she do it in some sort of order? does she remember who belongs to which star or is it just the fact that the star is there not really who the star belongs to?

shimma
07-28-2006, 02:58 PM

maybe its a cry for help.

paiger81
07-28-2006, 03:00 PM

That is wierd. I'm all for symbolism...but....that...is just odd to me...

meatwad
07-28-2006, 03:03 PM

Although I do know a girl who worked some Latin around a sun design that had a motto meaningful to her and it looked pretty cool. I toyed with the idea of getting something Gaelic inscribed around either of mine, but I'm not sold.

They're not matching tatoos, but my siblings and I (minus my one more conservative brother, but the remaining three of us) all have similar Celtic-themed ones, so it's a unifying thing for us.

I could understand getting a relative's name if you were/are really close or a child's name. One of my friend's has a rose with his mother's name and the year she passed away.

shimma
07-28-2006, 03:03 PM
my back would look like the sky on a clear night in the middle of the ocean. :sad:

maybe the wall at the ww2 memorial.

don't be friends with me guys, it takes decades off your life.

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 03:05 PM
She has a lot of mental health issues. She used to be a good friend of my mom's, and was among the group of women whose kids I grew up around, kids of a group of friends. She's, among other things, OC, agoraphobic, a pathological liar, a compulsive spender, manic, and I really do think she might have Munchausen Syndrome and Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy, if anybody's familiar with those psychological disorders (involve fabricating symptoms of disastrous illnesses to obtain unnecessary medical tests and surgical procedures, and in the "By Proxy" version of the disorder, fabricating them regarding their children).

tina1979
07-28-2006, 03:22 PM
sometimes i wonder if my friends mom has that. i don't remember a time when there wasn't something wrong. she is forever at a chiropracter or doctor's office and if she not her next one has already been scheduled and she is telling us why she has to go again. My friend is just like her. Sometimes I want to tell her "suck it up. you aren't gonna die from the sniffles."

shimma
07-28-2006, 03:41 PM
ithought muhchausen meant you inflict injury or illness on yourself or others to get attention?

tina1979
07-28-2006, 03:45 PM
ithought muhchausen meant you inflict injury or illness on yourself or others to get attention?
you might be right. I think my friend and her mom would be hypochondriacts? Is that spelled even close to right?

shimma
07-28-2006, 03:53 PM
you might be right. I think my friend and her mom would be hypochondriacts? Is that spelled even close to right?

take out the t maybe and it looks ok.

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 03:59 PM

People with Munchausen cause themselves to actually be sick to get the test/procedures/attention/perceived "benefits" of a culture of illness. They do things to cause symptoms of illnesses they don't have to appear.

In the proxy version, parents have abused and killed children, yes.

Hypochondriasis is imagining an illness. Munchausen Syndrome is actually simulating an illness by causing symptoms.

shimma
07-28-2006, 04:02 PM
People with Munchausen cause themselves to actually be sick to get the test/procedures/attention/perceived "benefits" of a culture of illness. They do things to cause symptoms of illnesses they don't have to appear.

In the proxy version, parents have abused and killed children, yes.

Hypochondriasis is imagining an illness. Munchausen Syndrome is actually simulating an illness by causing symptoms.

so munchausen is imagining the illness so much that your subconcious becomes physical and causes you to have symptoms?

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 04:05 PM
This link (http://sids-network.org/experts/msp.htm)explains it pretty well.

tina1979
07-28-2006, 04:12 PM
It would be like in 6th sense where the lady is feeding her kid pine sol in soup to keep her sick

pisces2473
07-28-2006, 05:41 PM
Bingo. And honestly, if you cant understand THAT, then you'll never understand why people get em.
Yeah, but you can honor people in other ways...special pieces of jewelry, for instance. I'm not saying tatts are bad or wrong, but I couldn't get one.

pisces2473
07-28-2006, 05:47 PM

I know someone who has "don't let the bastards bring you down" (or something like that) tattooed in Latin on her lower back. It's in a really unique font, too.

pisces2473
07-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Yeah, but so would almost everyone's. I think everyone knows a lot of people who've died...

shimma
07-28-2006, 05:50 PM
Yeah, but you can honor people in other ways...special pieces of jewelry, for instance. I'm not saying tatts are bad or wrong, but I couldn't get one.

i just wish to God mine would stop getting mistaken for one of those infernal feminist right-hand diamond rings.... it's a fucking periodot! green! UGH!

Yeah, but so would almost everyone's. I think everyone knows a lot of people who've died...

let me wallow in self pity you insensitive wench! :huge:

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 06:20 PM

I actually have a blessedly small list of people close to me who have died. I was out of college before I ever attended a funeral of a close friend of family member, and in my late twenties before I so much as lost a grandparent. It's surprising, but I really HAVEN'T dealt with death all that much in my life, to be honest. I don't know how it's worked out that way.

pisces2473
07-28-2006, 11:59 PM
I actually have a blessedly small list of people close to me who have died. I was out of college before I ever attended a funeral of a close friend of family member, and in my late twenties before I so much as lost a grandparent. It's surprising, but I really HAVEN'T dealt with death all that much in my life, to be honest. I don't know how it's worked out that way.
Oh. See, all of my parents' aunt and uncles have died, 3 out of 4 grandparents have died, one of my uncles, my friends' parents have died.......

Cole
07-29-2006, 01:17 AM
i can only think of a handful of people I've known who have died... and only three that I was relatively close to (being my granddads and my great-grandmother.)

I've often thought about a tat, but I doubt I'll ever get one. If I do it'll be really small and fairly private, mostly just to say I did it. I like the idea that tats show the artwork that a person feels already exists.

If I did, I've always wanted a sunflower on my lower abdomen. But talk about a place that would hurt and stretch.

I'd never get it, but I've always liked witty ones. Like "If you can read this, I'm probably having a good time" on your ass or a sick figure guy "mowing the lawn" with appropriate shaving to boot.

The coolest ones I've seen were a lotus flower on the foot, and a bull on the pec with the nipple piercing as the bull ring. That was fucking rad.

I really like the way white looks in tats. If I got one it'd either be white or some reasonable variant of skin tone - a brown, red, or orange. Something subtle.

The only other one I've seriously considered was an "om" symbol on my palm or somewhere on my hand, so that shaking hands with people was like a blessing. But that would be completely impractical.

workaholic?
07-29-2006, 12:50 PM
when my mom found out that i got a tattoo on my ass, she asked me what people were going to think when i'm 80 and in the hospital and have on a hospital gown so all the doctors and nurses can see it. i told her that they would think, "wow, she must have been really fun back in her day!"

for me, my tattoo's sort of a reminder of the person i was when i was in college: fun, free-spirited, and happy, so sometimes when i get a little down, i take a glance at my tattoo when i'm the shower or something and am reminded of the good times.

pisces2473
07-29-2006, 05:47 PM
The only other one I've seriously considered was an "om" symbol on my palm or somewhere on my hand, so that shaking hands with people was like a blessing. But that would be completely impractical.
Not to mention it would fucking HURT. lol

SunDevil
07-29-2006, 09:12 PM
I will say that some tattoos are ok, but there are plenty of bad ones (and I don't think any of the ones that people here have are bad).

I like this tattoo:
http://www.tattooartists.org/Img32398__Img32398_j_uv_3.jpg.asp
which becomes...
http://www.tattooartists.org/Img32397__Img32397_j_uv_2.jpg.asp

I wouldn't mind getting this tattoo with that UV ink:
http://www.darkhaze.net/content/images/tattoo/tt10_BARCODE1.jpg
we are all a number working for the corporate/government machine and stuff.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
And on to the bad ones:

Imagine waking up next to this every morning...
http://www.inktailor.com/tattoos/color/88.JPG

John Deere?
http://www.porkdisco.com/g2/v/badtattoos/letteringtattoos/collegehumor.jpg.html

Spell check your tattoos before getting them
http://www.porkdisco.com/g2/v/badtattoos/letteringtattoos/awesome.jpg.html

If you need directions around this guys house, he can show you the way.
http://www.porkdisco.com/g2/v/badtattoos/dorktattoos/lines.jpg.html

Why would you get a guy from American Idol on your shoulder?
http://www.porkdisco.com/g2/v/badtattoos/famouspeople/9-25-2005-3copy.jpg.html

Someone likes the 39th president a little too much.
http://www.porkdisco.com/g2/v/badtattoos/famouspeople/Sometimes_I_FeelLike_aNut.jpg.html

This wasn't a good idea the first time, but two people did the same thing
http://www.porkdisco.com/g2/v/badtattoos/famouspeople/000skpqp.jpeg.html
http://www.porkdisco.com/g2/v/badtattoos/famouspeople/000rfkey.jpeg.html

These next two are NSFW, not because of the body part that they are located on. But, I would think that these would cause major problems if anybody else saw these in public.

*I decided against posting the links, they can be found on the above website. They are that bad.

tina1979
08-01-2006, 12:24 PM
emb-
he finally sent me pics of the designs. Its kind of a his and hers. They go together but aren't exactly the same. His would be bigger than mine, and all that. No initials, that will be discussed in the future maybe. We'll see. What do you think?

embrassezla
08-01-2006, 12:28 PM
those are FANTASTIC, tina! I LOVE the geometric-ness of the butterfly, it's very gender neutral, and just plain cool looking.

tina1979
08-01-2006, 12:32 PM
those are FANTASTIC, tina! I LOVE the geometric-ness of the butterfly, it's very gender neutral, and just plain cool looking.
thanks! he'll love to hear that. now to decide where to put it and when to get it. :razz:

embrassezla
08-01-2006, 12:40 PM
thanks! he'll love to hear that. now to decide where to put it and when to get it. :razz:
He's a great artist - those drawing are flawless!

As for where to put it, the "Hers" is pretty horizontal, so you're probably confined to your back somewhere. It would look nice on your spine, just under the neck, if you've got room there.

tina1979
08-01-2006, 12:41 PM
He's a great artist - those drawing are flawless!

As for where to put it, the "Hers" is pretty horizontal, so you're probably confined to your back somewhere. It would look nice on your spine, just under the neck, if you've got room there.

thats exactly where he told me to put it. I'm kind of leary of doing that though because I have one on my lower back. Do you think that would be goofy? I was thinking maybe an arm band or ankle bracelet

embrassezla
08-01-2006, 12:44 PM
thats exactly where he told me to put it. I'm kind of leary of doing that though because I have one on my lower back. Do you think that would be goofy? I was thinking maybe an arm band or ankle bracelet
Well, the drawing as it is has the butterfly in the middle of two identical designs, so if you did a band, you'd have the two identical designs side be side, know what I mean?

You could do it very small, so that it doesn't wrap completely around your arm, though..

tina1979
08-01-2006, 12:50 PM
Well, the drawing as it is has the butterfly in the middle of two identical designs, so if you did a band, you'd have the two identical designs side be side, know what I mean?

You could do it very small, so that it doesn't wrap completely around your arm, though..
didn't think about that....I'll have to give it some more thought. It'll probably go below the neck, I guess I'm just afraid that its going to end up looking funny, because of the lower back tattoo. Maybe I will get my dad to take a pic of my back then photoshop it in so I can see what it will look like.

embrassezla
08-01-2006, 01:00 PM
didn't think about that....I'll have to give it some more thought. It'll probably go below the neck, I guess I'm just afraid that its going to end up looking funny, because of the lower back tattoo. Maybe I will get my dad to take a pic of my back then photoshop it in so I can see what it will look like.
I don't think it will look funny! Alternately, you could do the arm "cuff" idea (or ankle "cuff").

tina1979
08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
I don't think it will look funny! Alternately, you could do the arm "cuff" idea (or ankle "cuff").
true.. thanks for your input. knocking around ideas makes me feel alot better about it :huge: