PDA

View Full Version : Tattoos... on wall street

crystal_dance
07-28-2006, 04:25 PM
The recent thread on tattoos got me thinking... I've been wanting to get a small tattoo for a while but I always backed away coz I was afraid it would have an effect on my career.

The company I'm with now is awesome, mainly coz it's a start up full of 20 somethings to mid 30's and we don't really care about protocol. I do know that I'm not gonna be here forever and that Wall street is one of the last standing bastions of conservatism.

So my question is - for those working in rigid corporate america, how many of you have a tattoo?

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
If it's easily covered, why would it matter? You don't get to show much skin in the standard corporate setting, right?

I wouldn't get Love/Hate on my knuckles or anything, but if a tattoo is never visible at work, so what?

tina1979
07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
if you can cover it so that no one can see it, does it matter if you have one or not even in rigid corporate america? I don't mean to sound like I am being flippant or rude, I am seriously curious.

WorkInProgress
07-28-2006, 04:40 PM
Ditto on Wordsmith and Tina's questions.

coll214
07-28-2006, 04:44 PM
I think it would all depend on where you had it... and something that's hidden with clothes should be a non-issue. It's not like you'd be going in parading it around for your coworkers to see.

crystal_dance
07-28-2006, 04:51 PM
Usually life on the street isn't clearly divided into work and non-work. The lines blur, especially in investment banking and you are literally on call 24/7. As a result of that, many times you spend a fair deal of your time at "informal" events doing business, brown nosing, etc., along with your colleagues. Stuff like dining, clubs, baseball games, golf, heck even camping sometimes! I know it's totally possible to cover up and still work in corporate America. I'm just looking to hear peoples' stories :).

wordsmith
07-28-2006, 06:16 PM
Is your point that if you went, say, on a beach trip with friends who are also work colleagues, and they saw that you had a tattoo on your shoulder, or if you were lifting at a gym and a client saw you and your then-visible tattoo, it could look bad for work?

I think the point of a conservative front for business interaction is that you fit the company's idea of presentable when you are working. I don't see how it should matter when you are not "on."

But I don't work in an atmosphere anything like that. Because of their locations, my tattoos typically aren't visible when I'm working, but it isn't an issue at all that I have them, or that at least one of them is sometimes visible when I'm not.

capella
07-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I'm a teacher... and this means I have to be a moral pillar of the community and I'm held to a higher standard and blah, blah, blah. I have a tattoo. Am I showing it off to the kiddies? Heck NO! But it's not anyplace that anyone will see it normally. My bathing suit covers most of it as well (lower right hand side of my back). Am I going to be like my sister and get stars on my foot or my name tattooed on my ankle (yes, I know that's a whole other thread). No. But if it's in a location that is covered by clothes then who cares.

dengeist
07-28-2006, 09:42 PM
I'm a teacher, I have three. Quite a few of the girls have them on their ankles and calves. So that's pretty visible all the time, no ill effects.

yankeeyosh
07-28-2006, 09:53 PM
Honestly, I would be shocked if not at least half the people at my super-corporate corporation have tattoos...I'm sure many of the highest-level 20-somethings in corporate America right now have tattoos. I don't think it's a big deal unless it's clearly visible (I would never get a tattoo, though, since it's against my religion).

StrawberryMelon
07-28-2006, 10:44 PM
i have one on my lower left hip that's only visable in underwear or a low-ish bikini. i figure if the situation is ok for a bikini, it's ok for a tattoo.

on the other hand, i don't really think something small and tasteful on an ankle would be very offensive. i wouldn't suggest a naked woman or anything, lol. it's not eye-level (like a sholder would be), and it's not like you'd be shoving it in people's faces. and it could be covered with makeup if it absolutely had to be.

gymgurl
07-29-2006, 12:20 AM
I have two, one on my very low stomach, just under the bikini line and one on my left bum cheek. I am all about concealedness! :p

dixie24
07-29-2006, 09:20 AM
I have two. One on my lower back, and one on my left ankle. The one on my ankle is a "bracelet" of flowers, and while pretty and non-offensive, is big.
I have often wished I did not get one on my ankle; I can not wear capri's, skirts or dresses to work (no visible tattoos), and I hate how it looks paired with a cocktail dress for a wedding.
If you get a tattoo get it somewhere where nobody will ever see it unless you want them to (back, abdomen, etc). I often think of getting mine removed...

wordsmith
07-29-2006, 12:05 PM
The foremost reason for my choices of tattoo locations was exactly that...I can show them off when I want to and to whom I choose to show them off to. Beyond that, nobody needs to know about them.

and1grad
07-29-2006, 12:32 PM
The foremost reason for my choices of tattoo locations was exactly that...I can show them off when I want to and to whom I choose to show them off to. Beyond that, nobody needs to know about them.
Same here. Mine will always go somewhere thats otherwise covered.

wordsmith
07-29-2006, 12:45 PM
Mine are also in G-rated enough places that I CAN show them off if I choose to without looking like a strippa.

*Not that and1's isn't, too. :p