PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone feel like their life is a constant To-Do list?

BlueEyedFunOne
08-07-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm talking about having a million things to do and not enough time to do them.

I sometimes feel like my To-Do list rules my life! It's long and burdensome...I feel like I can never catch up. Errands, chores, bill paying, organizing, plan for trips & social events, balance two jobs, phone calls & emails to return, laundry, cooking, going to the gym, preparing for the work week, grocery shopping, appointments, managing my budget, looking for a roommate, etc etc!!!!

My friends think I'm nuts when I'll spend ALL DAY Saturday and/or Sunday running around doing these things. Then again, they all still live at home and don't have to worry about all the 'duties' of living independently. UGH!

I think I'm going to start a crusade to simplify my life. Un-clutter, Re-organize, De-stress and make menial things low-priority.

Tips, anyone?

old_school_soul
08-07-2006, 03:41 PM
I don't make to-do lists.

paiger81
08-07-2006, 03:42 PM
I make to-do lists, but I feel it's a positive thing that keeps me on the right track. But I also make sure that I don't OVER-organize/analyze what I'm doing--maybe you need to work on that???

shimma
08-07-2006, 03:52 PM
Bwah! I was just thinking that my weekend was a constant to-do list. even social activities become to-do items! :googly:

Kitty
08-07-2006, 04:06 PM
I dont feel like this because I almost always choose to just put things off and do what I want/feel like. This goes for cleaning, laundry, etc. Like, if I know I should pick up the living room but I feel like lounging around..I'll just lounge around and say screw it. Most of my bills are on bill pay and I can't really think of too many other to-do list things.

I know theres a lot of people who are very task oriented and knowing there are tasks to be completed drives them crazy.

BlueEyedFunOne
08-07-2006, 04:10 PM
But I also make sure that I don't OVER-organize/analyze what I'm doing--maybe you need to work on that???

No - I feel like I need a to-do list to keep me on track and get things done in a timely manner. I think I'm just a busy person - I have a lot going on in my life and need some sort of organization to stay sane.

I tend to stay away from over analyzing things because it'll just get too complicated...and add to my list :razz:

paiger81
08-07-2006, 04:16 PM
I tend to stay away from over analyzing things because it'll just get too complicated...and add to my list :razz:

Oh, in that case, I don't get what the problem is then. If you are happy with the list, yeah! :huge:

SunDevil
08-07-2006, 07:35 PM
That is the way my life is.

Get up
Go to work
pay credit card bill
check mail
send e-mail
go to grocery store
put gas in car
watch tivo'd show
go on a bike ride

There is no spontinatiy in my life and that is the problem. If it isn't on the list, it isn't happening. Using the Internet fills in the gaps, and then it is time for bed. Some of the items might change, and some things are more important than others, but my days are usually filled up. I would probably have to squeeze in things to do with a girlfriend if I ever had time for one.

As for tips, make things happen automatically without you having to remember to do them, paying bills is so much better with the bill pay system. Using TiVo to record TV shows, so I don't have to remember to be home at a certain time (or remember that they are on in the first place). Read 7 habits of highly effective people. Do multiple things at the same time if possible, and do things right away.

wordsmith
08-07-2006, 07:43 PM
My life is a giant, rotating to-do list that won't ever end until I'm dead, I'd imagine...there are ALWAYS things that must be/can be done. But it's also a life that's full of spontaneous, unplanned, unscripted things, as well. It has both these elements.

PenforPrez
08-07-2006, 07:54 PM
I feel that way financially right now. My bills are OK, but I can't afford the other things I need right now. This weekend, I was making a mental to-do list of things I need to do that cost money when I finally get a job:

Go back to therapist
See doctor for back pain/wrist pain, maybe ask about weight loss
Go to dentist
Get wisdom teeth removed (I'm two years behind there)
Buy tires for car
Oil change
Get alternator in car fixed
Get stuck tape out of tape player
New clothes
New shoes
New glasses (and an eye exam wouldn't hurt)

And somewhere in there, I need to find a way to save money and move out. :sad: Lot to do; got to get a job first. ;)

Paul

SpaceMonkey
08-07-2006, 07:56 PM
Yup. It's even worse when, at work, you have to manage someone else's to-do list!

biodork
08-07-2006, 08:54 PM
I have relaxation issues. My life is on a time schedule. Whatever I have to do, I better get it done within my "time limit" otherwise I stress out.

I've been trying to cut that out and relax more, and I've been getting better, but I still freak out sometimes when I say to myself that I need to be somewhere at 6:30 and I don't get there until 7.

labrat2111
08-07-2006, 09:13 PM
I have way too many lists. I know it controls me a little too much. I think I just have to limit my lists to things I will actually forget to do if I don't write them down. Plus i have to limit myself to a realistic quota of things to do in a day. I tend to overreach and that is as bad as not getting anything done.

RoseDelight
08-13-2006, 06:04 AM
I keep putting things off until they absolutely need to be taken care of. Yes, I am a procrastinator.

I am the same! I tend to leave everything to the last minute which then leads to stress.

I don't bother doing anything during the weekdays unless its urgent/important. I simply don't have the energy due to work. I leave my to do list for the weekends. A friend of mine advised me to get up early in the weekends and basically do everything...chores, errands etc, first thing in the morning, and that way you have the whole afternoon to relax. But sometimes I feel there isn't enough hours in the day to do everything!! :frustrate

Empressallie
08-13-2006, 12:35 PM
Maybe you can work on being more efficient with your errands. I have a couple friends that are constantly doing errands. It's almost daily. Try and condense your trips. For example, drop off library books, pick out birthday gift for a friend, go grocery shopping, in one trip. An hour, and youre done! Or try and simplify more so you have less keeping you "busy".

I find that the daily upkeep of life is pretty easy. Granted i rent, and do not own, so house projects are minimal. Like several people have mentioned, use billpay for monthly bills (i spend about 10 minutes a month organizing finances), iron all your clothes for the week at the same time, go grocery shopping in bulk. THere is no reason for a single person to feel too burdened with daily living, its just you after all! If anything I think living on your own is much easier and stress free than living with the rents. There is no one to answer to but yourself.

You'll get the hang of it. Try and not think of your social plans as something else to check off on the list. Social time is the reward for working! If it feels like work to chill with friends, then maybe try to hang out with new people who you may get along with better.