PDA

View Full Version : Extremely Lost

Still Looking
09-24-2006, 08:54 AM
Hey everyone, I am new to the message boards here and would like to share my QLC. I am 26 yrs old and graduated from college 4 years. Since graduation, I just started on my 3rd job. My first job lasted about 2 yrs, second job 1.5 yrs, now I am on my third. I am in the struggling automotive manufacturing industry and absolutely hate it. Of all three jobs, after a few weeks I hate them. The majority of the people in the industry are assholes and want to give you a hard time everyday, plus I HATE working in a cubicle. I am so sick of only getting calls from recruiters wanting me to interview at other automotive companies.
This is my QLC. I am struggling so bad right now to try and figure out what I actually want to do with my life! A few years ago I had a "bridge" job in construction and really enjoyed that. Plus I used to work for a family relative in construction during high school and enjoyed that. I am worried that if I give up the excellent pay in the automotive industry and go into construction or project manager in construction that I will regret it. I just feel like getting the hell out of this industry and going to work for Home Depot, where I do not have to sit in a freaking cubicle all day and I would actually get to interact with the public. First of all, I do not know how to change careers and second, I would like to find another career in another state. The number of decent single women my age is very small here. There are very few people here in my age group, most are married with kids. The state / city that I would like to move to I have already visited and will visit again in a few weeks.
Any suggestions on how to move to another state while changing careers? Would it be stupid to take a job at Home Depot, construction job, or how could I find a city project management job that does not require cubicle life?
Please help!

winneythepooh7
09-24-2006, 11:21 AM
First off, welcome. Secondly, I don't have any great words of wisdom, but I am engaged to someone who owns his own construction company. It is very hard work. He has no life except work for the most part. Even moreso right now because his partner has been in Hawaii on his honeymoon for the past 2 weeks. He also doesn't have health insurance. Which is a whole other thread why, but I just wanted to point that out. He leaves home by 7 every day and usually gets home after 9PM. He works most weekends similar hours. It will probably be different if you can get into a unionized position somewhere. He also used to work for a company called Gotham but quit because he was constantly having to travel everywhere and at a moment's notice for work. I have heard bad stuff about Home Depot and I know these stores in any location are one of my SO's biggest pet peeves. Even the times that I go there, I feel like I am in a land of incompetence. It just doesn't seem like a good environment to be working in. I also remember awhile back someone posted on the boards who worked there and hated it. I know my post comes off as negative, but I live and breathe the world of construction every day and honestly, the only thing "pretty" about it usually is the final completed pieces. It is very physically and mentally draining, both to my SO and to me ;).

Still Looking
09-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Thanks winneythepooh. I am just looking to get out of my cubicle and do something different. I am just so lost and do not know what I want to do.....but I do know one thing, I hate the automotive industry, manfacturing, cubicle life, and the assholes that work in the industry.
I need a change but do not know where to begin..........help!

starryedd
09-24-2006, 07:07 PM
I can see the point made in reference to the construction business...
My father is a contractor and absolutely loves his job, he is self-employed and it has its pros and cons.
You still have time to give construction a chance...plus if you don't like what your currently doing doesnt that make you miserable?
I guess life is about taking risks....if construction weren't to work out maybe something else would come out of that decision.

Still Looking
09-24-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm going to take the risk because I just cannot stand not knowing what would have happened. Plus making less money for the first few years would be better than being miserable for the rest of my life!