PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if an interview went well or not?

Nehalem58
09-26-2006, 10:38 PM
I've had like 15 interviews in the last two months, only one produced a job. Some of the interviews I was dead sure I would get hired, and got shot down. The one where I got hired I wasn't sure at all how I did and they hired me. Some interviews I knew I wouldn't get hired, and I wasn't. Its just so bizarr, I just can never tell. Sometimes they treated me ultra special like I am their favored candiate, and then they shit can me (read Gysberger's post on this). This one time the lady more or less said that I was hired, gave me a tour of the place after the interview, and said that she would hire me in a day if possible. I was all excited. I NEVER heard back from them again. Not one peep. They didn't answer my e-mails or return my calls. Hmmmmmmm.

So I don't know. How do you guys judge your performance and the overall feel in an interview?

Is it possible to predict if you are gonna get the job or not just by how you felt the interview went?

wordsmith
09-26-2006, 11:03 PM
Everytime I've scored an interview, I've gotten hired (with the sort-of exception of my most recent venture, where they prepared a package for me and were getting ready to hire me when the position was put on hold...but still, in any case, interviewed extremely favorably and garnered enough interest to hire). Which is not to say that I've gotten hired everywhere I've applied...sometimes, I've not even gotten interviews. But in the places where I've gotten interviews, I've gotten hired. So I'm pretty good at reading body language, nonverbal cues, and getting a reading on how I'm doing by the way the interviewers interact with me. It also helps that in the past 5 years as a reporter, I've learned a bit about closely observing and reading people and being tuned into things as I talk to them.

But for me, even if I know I interviewed well, I don't know I've gotten the job...because as good as I feel about it, I always operate under the assumption that for all I know, they could have interviewed a half-dozen people who also interviewed as well. I feel like it's seldom as cut and dried as just interviewing well. There are other variables.

lonestar
09-26-2006, 11:08 PM
I got a lot of compliments on Thursday's interview, and one department supervisors told me my company research (I had read their annual report the night before and boned up on a lot of their upcoming initiatiaves) was impressive and that my analysis of the position "hit the nail on the head". I am decent at reading people, but this time I was pretty sure. I ended up getting the hire call yesterday.

spokes
09-27-2006, 12:44 AM
it's more of a "gut" feel than enything else.

sometimes though if they alloted one hour for the interview and it runs 1.5 hrs, that would seem like a good sign to me.

thedave
09-27-2006, 01:23 AM
I've had like 15 interviews in the last two months, only one produced a job. Some of the interviews I was dead sure I would get hired, and got shot down. The one where I got hired I wasn't sure at all how I did and they hired me. Some interviews I knew I wouldn't get hired, and I wasn't. Its just so bizarr, I just can never tell. Sometimes they treated me ultra special like I am their favored candiate, and then they shit can me (read Gysberger's post on this). This one time the lady more or less said that I was hired, gave me a tour of the place after the interview, and said that she would hire me in a day if possible. I was all excited. I NEVER heard back from them again. Not one peep. They didn't answer my e-mails or return my calls. Hmmmmmmm.

So I don't know. How do you guys judge your performance and the overall feel in an interview?

Is it possible to predict if you are gonna get the job or not just by how you felt the interview went?

Well, rather than predicting the reaction to the interview, why don't you focus on interviewing so that you know the reaction will be positive?

In other words, closely examine your interviews, read literature re: good interviewing, and find any weaknesses/flaws and iron those out...

It sounds gay but practice with a friend... maybe tape yourself? Looking at yourself is VERRRYY revealing, may reveal tics you may have? It's like public speaking, you need to practice.

Also, analyze your strategy re: the interview itself. Prepare to expound on your resume. I remember I was interviewing for this one company and i could see their reactions---> YAWWWNNN... UNTIILLL i mentioned a few things about how I increased my company's bottom-line, saved money, time, etc... Man they perked up and I got the job eventually...

Anybody can mention things re: their job position, responsibilities, etc...
Try to be unique. To do so, you need to prepare somewhat, and have a plan of attack...

Man this is inspiring me.. I do need to search for jobs again.. I'm inspired...

ttyl and good luck..

MrNCG23
09-27-2006, 01:59 AM
I can say how an interview went, but in my experience a "great interview" has no direct correlation to getting a job - there are just too many factors outside of your control. You do have a better chance after a good interview, but I have done many good interviews, and not all of them translated to offers.

You can tell how an interview went by their reaction, body language, their tone, the kinds of questions they ask, how fast they contact you for the next interview. I just judge myself - if I did a great pitch, answered all the questions confidently with concrete answers, explained why my skills, interests, background are all a good fit, demonstrated I know my shit - then I figure I did the best I could, and whether or not I get the offer is out of my control.

Of course, that's easier said than done - I've lost a lot of sleep worrying about offers/interviews.

winneythepooh7
09-27-2006, 06:44 AM
I don't want to come off as being all negative, but I also don't want to sugarcoat anything:

I interview a lot of candidates who I can tell think they're the shit. However, as soon as they leave and I start calling their references (who they lied to me about 1st big mistake as being all professional references) and they turn out to be their baby's daddy, great aunt Louise and best friend Sue, I say peace out at that point. Since they lied to me too, it's not my obligation to call them back.

yankeeyosh
09-27-2006, 08:18 AM
Well, I've reached the point where I cannot even begin to guess. There have been many, many interviews where everyone is gushing over me, telling me how great I would fit in, that I would be perfect, etc., only to get the rejection letter two weeks later. My trust in Corporate America, HR, and hiring managers are at such a low point right now that I refuse to believe anything they say at this time.

CTGirl
09-27-2006, 09:32 AM
I don't want to come off as being all negative, but I also don't want to sugarcoat anything:

I interview a lot of candidates who I can tell think they're the shit. However, as soon as they leave and I start calling their references (who they lied to me about 1st big mistake as being all professional references) and they turn out to be their baby's daddy, great aunt Louise and best friend Sue, I say peace out at that point. Since they lied to me too, it's not my obligation to call them back.

Agreed. The thing you need to remember is that there is a lot more at play here than just your interview. Just because your interview went really well, and the interviewer really liked you, that doesn't mean they're going to offer the job to you. Maybe they liked the dude after you even better, who knows.

Work on the things you can control, and hope for the best on the rest.

lonestar
09-27-2006, 09:35 AM
Well, I've reached the point where I cannot even begin to guess. There have been many, many interviews where everyone is gushing over me, telling me how great I would fit in, that I would be perfect, etc., only to get the rejection letter two weeks later. My trust in Corporate America, HR, and hiring managers are at such a low point right now that I refuse to believe anything they say at this time.

I think you are looking at it the wrong way...it's not like these people are "out to get you". You should be happy that you made an impression on them, but you have to realize that they are interviewing other people as well so they may have been impressed with somebody else...that happens. I have interviewed for jobs where I didn't get it even though the interview went well...

Also as for other posts, how can there be people who do not provide professional references? Plus, you may get some of those losers applying for jobs with your agency/organization, but I am willing to bet that most people on QLC use proper references...

winneythepooh7
09-27-2006, 09:43 AM
I think you are looking at it the wrong way...it's not like these people are "out to get you". You should be happy that you made an impression on them, but you have to realize that they are interviewing other people as well so they may have been impressed with somebody else...that happens. I have interviewed for jobs where I didn't get it even though the interview went well...

Also as for other posts, how can there be people who do not provide professional references? Plus, you may get some of those losers applying for jobs with your agency/organization, but I am willing to bet that most people on QLC use proper references...

I agree with what you said in your first paragraph. I sometimes like a person, but the next person I interview may in fact be more qualified, and fit more into what I am looking for in a staff member here. An important thing I look for in an employee is their ability to work independently, because my employees basically spend their time in the field with a client. A lot of people I interview have never worked independently and in the interview, show that they are not comfortable with that necessarily. A lot of things that people say to me during an interview without even realizing it stand out to me. People often bad mouth their former employers believe it or not. And for reasons that I would totally side with the former employer on. As for the "professional references piece" I have lost count the number of times this has happened. On average it is like 3 out of 5 people I interview. My assistant has started to say that she feels people think "professional references" mean any person in their life who has some kind of job. We are going to have to totally re-write our application because of this, and put "former supervisors" on there..........

winneythepooh7
09-27-2006, 09:47 AM
Plus, you may get some of those losers applying for jobs with your agency/organization, but I am willing to bet that most people on QLC use proper references...

I am sure a lot of people on here do provide the right refs and interview well. However, for other people on here, their posts are very telling about themselves. If they present with the negative attitude that often shows through their posts, I am sure that whoever interviews them, or if they are trying to get a job in their current agency or what not---this "shines" right on through ;). No one is going to hire someone who is miserable and presents as such.

lonestar
09-27-2006, 09:49 AM
All people have to do is read one of those "apply for a job" books to realize that:

1. even your old boss at McDonalds makes a better reference than your mom.
2. don't ever badmouth your current employer in an interview
3. don't send out blanket cls/resumes
4. practice and prepare for interviews...study the company, study the direction they are going in, know the job description and how you can fill it, ect.

winneythepooh7
09-27-2006, 09:52 AM
All people have to do is read one of those "apply for a job" books to realize that:

1. even your old boss at McDonalds makes a better reference than your mom.
2. don't ever badmouth your current employer in an interview
3. don't send out blanket cls/resumes
4. practice and prepare for interviews...study the company, study the direction they are going in, know the job description and how you can fill it, ect.

I think like every out-of-work loser living in NYC finds my company. I am not trying to sound mean or put anyone down, but I honestly don't think there's any other explanation for it. People who lack basic common sense end up across from me in an interview. It is very scary. I've also said this before but what scares me even more are these are the people who want to go into the human services field to help people.........they can't even help themselves :eek: :eek: :eek: (I am gearing up for my 2 interviews this morning LOL).

cache
09-27-2006, 11:05 AM
At my company, the hiring process is extensive. From the time that you submit a resume to the day that you start can be anywhere from 3-8 months. I had people apply for positions last July, who just started work in April.

The good part about that is people who don't truly want the job will not follow through with the entire process. It eliminates all those unqualified, or just applying to every company they can, etc. It's pretty successful, I'd say, but it makes it harder for me to turn the final few candidates down after getting to know them for some time.

In an ~hour interview, an interviewer has to try to find something to connect you to 1. the interviewer, or 2. the company or 3. the position. That is why so many people say that an interview went fantastic and then don't get the job. It is usually the interviewer trying to see if you fit in anywhere. Just becasue you do, may not make you the best candidate.

Also, to me, any company that leaves applicants hanging with no closure has issues. I know how nerve racking getting a new job is, and most people just want to know one way or the other. Cutting off communication is that plesant paradox...it sucks they didn't tell you anything...but then again, do you really want to work for a company with that kind of communication?

gysberger4
09-27-2006, 05:02 PM
"I am sure a lot of people on here do provide the right refs and interview well. However, for other people on here, their posts are very telling about themselves. If they present with the negative attitude that often shows through their posts, I am sure that whoever interviews them, or if they are trying to get a job in their current agency or what not---this "shines" right on through . No one is going to hire someone who is miserable and presents as such." Winneythepooh

I just wanted to throw a comment out there about this comment posted above. I totally agree that people who have a negative attitude oftentimes show those qualities in an interview, but I DO NOT agree with your comment regarding the posts of people on this site. This site is for us QLCers to get things off of our chests and to vent and to get advice from our peers. Just because some people have posts with a negative tone to them are not necessarily negative people. I would even go out on a limb to say that these people are probably very nice and positive people, but use this site to vent and to express the negative feelings that they do have, or to help themselves feel as if they are not alone. I would in no way make the assumption that many of the people on this site are very negative people, as this site allows for people to be negative/frustrated/etc. and to get feedback from it.

paiger81
09-27-2006, 05:09 PM
This site is for us QLCers to get things off of our chests and to vent and to get advice from our peers. Just because some people have posts with a negative tone to them are not necessarily negative people.

True QLC is a place to vent, it's also a place to seek out advice. I've been on these boards for over 2 years and my general experience is that posters always have bad days where they want to bitch and moan. That's fine, perfecty understandable.,

Yet when you have posters who repeatedly post negative comments without posting anything remotely positive, it is understandable to think they are exuding this in their daily lives as well.

WorkInProgress
09-27-2006, 05:12 PM
True QLC is a place to vent, it's also a place to seek out advice. I've been on these boards for over 2 years and my general experience is that posters always have bad days where they want to bitch and moan. That's fine, perfecty understandable.,

Yet when you have posters who repeatedly post negative comments without posting anything remotely positive, it is understandable to think they are exuding this in their daily lives as well.
Ditto, except I've not been here quite that long.

winneythepooh7
09-27-2006, 07:33 PM
"I am sure a lot of people on here do provide the right refs and interview well. However, for other people on here, their posts are very telling about themselves. If they present with the negative attitude that often shows through their posts, I am sure that whoever interviews them, or if they are trying to get a job in their current agency or what not---this "shines" right on through . No one is going to hire someone who is miserable and presents as such." Winneythepooh

I just wanted to throw a comment out there about this comment posted above. I totally agree that people who have a negative attitude oftentimes show those qualities in an interview, but I DO NOT agree with your comment regarding the posts of people on this site. This site is for us QLCers to get things off of our chests and to vent and to get advice from our peers. Just because some people have posts with a negative tone to them are not necessarily negative people. I would even go out on a limb to say that these people are probably very nice and positive people, but use this site to vent and to express the negative feelings that they do have, or to help themselves feel as if they are not alone. I would in no way make the assumption that many of the people on this site are very negative people, as this site allows for people to be negative/frustrated/etc. and to get feedback from it.

Obviously you are still very new, so you probably haven't totally caught on yet to what (or who) I exactly mean. To clarify, I am talking about a select few of posters who constantly come on here and bitch and moan, and when people offer them advice, or constructive criticism, or point out where they are probably going wrong (ie. why they can't get a job, etc.) they get all defensive and want to blame everyone else but themselves for their issues. They become argumentative with people on here trying to "help". THAT's who I am talking about...........

Nehalem58
09-28-2006, 11:27 PM
I think that Gysberger is totally correct.

yankeeyosh
09-28-2006, 11:31 PM
I think that Gysberger is totally correct.

Agreed. xtrachars