PDA

View Full Version : How long into dating did you become an official couple with your SO?

PVD99
10-10-2006, 05:01 PM
How long did you decide that you two were together?

Kitty
10-10-2006, 05:06 PM
7 months, 5 days, 3 hours, and 12 minutes.

Shoot..can't remember the exact second.

winneythepooh7
10-10-2006, 05:07 PM
7 months, 5 days, 3 hours, and 12 minutes.

Shoot..can't remember the exact second.

Oh c'mon Kitty, you don't remember the exact second?

Kitty
10-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Oh c'mon Kitty, you don't remember the exact second?

I know, I feel like a horrible gilfriend. :redface:

PVD99
10-10-2006, 05:13 PM
I guess my question is....was it a month? 3 months? I guess it is different for everyone.

Kitty
10-10-2006, 05:14 PM
I guess my question is....was it a month? 3 months?

I thought I answered that question. :razz:

SmilesSoSweet
10-10-2006, 05:17 PM
I guess it is different for everyone.

Of course it's different for everyone. All the questions you've been asking really all depends on the individual. There isn't a set time/correct time to do anything. You make those choices.

Seriously what's up with the randomness of questions?

mishl982
10-10-2006, 05:25 PM
LOL I don't think D and I ever made anything official. We still joke about how we're just dating. :razz:

It's based on the individual. Unless you are just curious to see how differing everyone's relationship is, you're not going to find one answer where everyone decides when is the right time to make things official. :googly:

Illuminous
10-10-2006, 05:27 PM
It's not like you MUST become a couple at 3 months or whatever. The Boy and I dated for nearly a year before we were official. *shrug* Comparing your relationship to others isn't going to end up well, trust me.

Deavan
10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
How long did you decide that you two were together?

Wow I was going to start a thread on this topic myself!

mishl982
10-10-2006, 05:30 PM
It's not like you MUST become a couple at 3 months or whatever. The Boy and I dated for nearly a year before we were official. *shrug* Comparing your relationship to others isn't going to end up well, trust me.
Actually, maybe we should make a rule!

Okay, everyone who is dating someone, you MUST make things official at your 3 month mark, regardless of how many dates you've been on, how far you've gone physically, which friends and family you've met, or if you even like the person at all!!!!! Then shout to the world "WE ARE OFFICIALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!" :huge:

Kitty
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Actually, maybe we should make a rule!

Okay, everyone who is dating someone, you MUST make things official at your 3 month mark, regardless of how many dates you've been on, how far you've gone physically, which friends and family you've met, or if you even like the person at all!!!!! Then shout to the world "WE ARE OFFICIALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!" :huge:

I thought 3 months was when you got to wear his football jacket. And six months was when he gave you a promise ring.

PVD99
10-10-2006, 05:35 PM
I wasn't saying there had to be a set date, I was just wondering how long it took other people. :rolleyes:

WorkInProgress
10-10-2006, 05:39 PM
I thought 3 months was when you got to wear his football jacket. And six months was when he gave you a promise ring.

And at 9 you break up...only to get back together at 10, when he gives you a lavaliere. :razz:

elise9
10-10-2006, 05:53 PM
we were "official" and exclusive from day one.

Kitty
10-10-2006, 05:54 PM

Whoa..you hold the record!

WorkInProgress
10-10-2006, 05:57 PM

My cousin and her bf were like this. But they had talked to each other, etc. before. Just that when they started dating each other, it was exclusive.

wordsmith
10-10-2006, 05:59 PM
One guy I was involved with, I didn't know he'd considered us seriously "together" until long after it was over, when he said something about "when we broke up." I'd never known how to categorize our relationship, and didn't find out how he'd categorized it until way later. I had been afraid to categorize it that way, not wanting to push for too much. :redface:

WorkInProgress
10-10-2006, 06:05 PM
One guy I was involved with, I didn't know he'd considered us seriously "together" until long after it was over, when he said something about "when we broke up." I'd never known how to categorize our relationship, and didn't find out how he'd categorized it until way later. I had been afraid to categorize it that way, not wanting to push for too much. :redface:
Gah. This is why I personally have a "if we haven't discussed it and decided we're together exclusively, we're not" policy.

wordsmith
10-10-2006, 06:13 PM
Yup, I just assumed we weren't. Wish I'd have known!

Oddly, this isn't the first time I've had the guys do the labeling (even if it came as a surprise to me). I try to NEVER NEVER NEVER be the one to broach labels, because I've been retiscent to be "that girl," so cliche. So I tend to let stuff float if the guy doesn't bring it up.

One time I was shopping with a guy I'd been seeing, and the girl who checked us out knew him from school. She was like, "And who's this? YOUR SISTER?" And while I was getting ready to introduce myself (by name), he was like, "No, this is my girlfriend."

I get really surprised when the guy uses the labels when I haven't said anything.

GoogleGirl
10-10-2006, 06:18 PM
according to my bf....by 3 weeks of hanging out, we were official. It took me a bit longer. I had asked him once "are we dating now?" but I had to ask again because I was drunk off of wine the first time and still can't remember much of what I said that night. lol

springhaze
10-10-2006, 06:19 PM
about 3 months...but that's only because we initally met online and only met each other in person 2.5 months later.

cache
10-10-2006, 06:28 PM
Yup, I just assumed we weren't. Wish I'd have known!

Oddly, this isn't the first time I've had the guys do the labeling (even if it came as a surprise to me). I try to NEVER NEVER NEVER be the one to broach labels, because I've been retiscent to be "that girl," so cliche. So I tend to let stuff float if the guy doesn't bring it up.

One time I was shopping with a guy I'd been seeing, and the girl who checked us out knew him from school. She was like, "And who's this? YOUR SISTER?" And while I was getting ready to introduce myself (by name), he was like, "No, this is my girlfriend."

I get really surprised when the guy uses the labels when I haven't said anything.

Yeah, but I've done that before. It is part of a bigger trend for me. When I am talking to someone, it may take too much time to explain something, like the dynamics of a relationship, and it is just not worth it. It may be easier to say "this is my gf" then going into details.

If I am talking to someone I only talk to every so often, I just don't want to waste time talking about small details. I was talking to an aquiantance and introduced him to my friend Dr. X. The aquaintance assumed he was a medical doctor and made some medical comment, but it wasnt part of the conversation, it wasnt important to clarify that my friend is a PhD not an MD or the like....same thing. The aquaintance will never see this person again, so who cares...

I have an easier time explaining my actions later than going into details...

wordsmith
10-10-2006, 06:30 PM
Interestingly, I dumped this guy months and months later, when he freaked out after my mom introduced him to somebody as "my boyfriend."

LaFille
10-10-2006, 06:43 PM

hey, it's better than being out with your brother and being called his girlfriend! :eek: this has happened to me more than once. and each time i am equally grossed out!

Winter Storm
10-10-2006, 06:47 PM

Its also better than being out with a guy you are dating and not being introduced at all. :sad:

gymgurl
10-10-2006, 07:29 PM
according to my bf....by 3 weeks of hanging out, we were official. It took me a bit longer. I had asked him once "are we dating now?" but I had to ask again because I was drunk off of wine the first time and still can't remember much of what I said that night. lol

I'm just wondering, how would you deal with it if they asked you if you were official or a 'couple' but you weren't really ready for that? or were still interested in maybe seeing other people? I've never been in this situation but I'm curious how one would handle something like that.

Franti
10-10-2006, 07:47 PM
-I have an official girlfriend now, and it's kind of a minor miracle. I haven't been official with anyone for like 6 years (dated/hooked up with lots of girls in the meantime). I had dated girls for 3 or 4 months and nothing really ever happened with a "relationship"

As for my girlfriend now, we dated for about a month. I really wanted to be with her, so I told her in a roundabout joking way and after a couple weeks more we decided that was best. Unfortunately she'll be moving in a few months but you guys can read posts on that later.

I think if you feel really into someone and it's been a little while you should just tell them and go for it!

GoogleGirl
10-10-2006, 07:50 PM
I think that it's really hard to say unless you are actually in the situation. I think that I felt like it was too soon to be dating someone again (i had been dumped only 4 months prior) and was not sure if I was ready for getting attached to someone again. My situation is a little weird, so I try not to compare my situation to others too much. I guess...if you really weren't into the person, it most likely would fizzle anyway. That's my guess.

ywt
10-10-2006, 08:07 PM
About a month after we started dating, but we'd been friends for a bit before that, so judge that however you desire.

WorkInProgress
10-10-2006, 08:08 PM
hey, it's better than being out with your brother and being called his girlfriend! :eek: this has happened to me more than once. and each time i am equally grossed out!

Um...better your brother than your father. :eek: :eek: True story. More than once. Work people who didn't know him well enough to meet my mom.

WorkInProgress
10-10-2006, 08:10 PM
Interestingly, I dumped this guy months and months later, when he freaked out after my mom introduced him to somebody as "my boyfriend."

Uh-huh. Can't imagine why you'd get rid of him. :rolleyes:

Krishna
10-10-2006, 08:15 PM
We made it official on day #1. We already knew each other- it wasnt hard to make the jump.

Deavan
10-11-2006, 10:13 AM
With my last serious boyfriend we met at a mutual party around Thanksgiving and by Christmas we were an official couple...2 weeks after that he told me he was in love with me...

spokes
10-11-2006, 11:04 AM
usually the dating contract will outline when the relationship become exclusive.

EastCoastQLCing
10-11-2006, 09:57 PM
3 weeks, maybe 4