PDA

View Full Version : What to wear to second interview--advice please

jrwilheim
10-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Okay...today I went in for an interview at a smal financial planning concern, for an AA position. The interview went fine, and I'm coming back for a second interview at some point to meet the office manager, who was out today.

So, for the interview today I wore my standard interview outfit: a basic navy blue suit, crisp off-white shirt, and red necktie. As it was a financial planning company, I figured the dress code would be more on the formal side. When I got there, however, my interviewer and potential boss was wearing jeans and a black t-shirt. Everybody in the office seemed to be dressing on the casual side--the guy who showed me to the restroom after the interview was in jeans and a shirt I would have associated more with clubbing than a financial planning firm.

So I'm wondering...now that I have a better sense of the company's dress code/style, how should I dress for the second interview? The same suit (maybe with a different shirt/tie combo, for variety)? A button down shirt and tie? Button down shirt and no tie? I think going all the way to jeans, even though that's how the whole office seems to dress, might be going to far, but I'm thinking maybe the suit isn't right either. I'd rather err on the side of conservatism, but not TOO FAR on the side of conservatism.

SpaceMonkey
10-20-2006, 05:10 PM
If you've got a blazer, I'd suggest maybe slacks, button-down shirt, and a blazer, no tie.

If you are at all uncomfortable with not wearing a suit, then I would stick with the suit. Just maybe add some eccentricity with a more interesting tie.

yankeeyosh
10-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Just go with the suit. I hate it, you hate it, we all hate it, but it's the "no fail" solution that you can never go wrong with.

WorkInProgress
10-20-2006, 06:55 PM
Just go with the suit...it's the "no fail" solution that you can never go wrong with.

I'd agree. Especially since that office could be doing "casual Friday" today.

SpaceMonkey
10-20-2006, 07:58 PM
I'd agree. Especially since that office could be doing "casual Friday" today.

Ooh, I totally didn't think of that. Yeah, I'm going to fall in line and say wear a suit.

jrwilheim
10-20-2006, 10:46 PM
I don't hate wearing suits, in fact I love suits and dressing up. I was just worried that, given the standards of the office, this might be overkill. But you're right--it may well have been casual Friday. I should have thought of that.

sondra_finchley
10-21-2006, 08:31 AM
This happened to me yesterday- had an interview with a company that does financial instrument management and I knew they had jeans on Fridays. Sure enough, my interviewer was wearing jeans, with a black sweater. I had on a nice fall suit in browns (im a gal). Still felt over dressed especially as I also met the HR recruiter who had first contacted me and he looked like a Lands End advert.

I should have a second interview coming up, with the VP of North American Marketing. I feel like I should wear black for her (potential new boss gave me the heads up on this lady when she interviewed me). Would a formal black business dress be acceptible? Ive already used up my one suit :/

WorkInProgress
10-21-2006, 10:17 AM
This happened to me yesterday- had an interview with a company that does financial instrument management and I knew they had jeans on Fridays. Sure enough, my interviewer was wearing jeans, with a black sweater. I had on a nice fall suit in browns (im a gal). Still felt over dressed especially as I also met the HR recruiter who had first contacted me and he looked like a Lands End advert.

I should have a second interview coming up, with the VP of North American Marketing. I feel like I should wear black for her (potential new boss gave me the heads up on this lady when she interviewed me). Would a formal black business dress be acceptible? Ive already used up my one suit :/
I would think so, as long as it's appropriately formal.

jrwilheim
10-21-2006, 08:39 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a (reasonably modest) skirt/dress outfit always equally acceptable to a suit, for women?

thedave
10-23-2006, 10:07 AM
Okay...today I went in for an interview at a smal financial planning concern, for an AA position. The interview went fine, and I'm coming back for a second interview at some point to meet the office manager, who was out today.

So, for the interview today I wore my standard interview outfit: a basic navy blue suit, crisp off-white shirt, and red necktie. As it was a financial planning company, I figured the dress code would be more on the formal side. When I got there, however, my interviewer and potential boss was wearing jeans and a black t-shirt. Everybody in the office seemed to be dressing on the casual side--the guy who showed me to the restroom after the interview was in jeans and a shirt I would have associated more with clubbing than a financial planning firm.

So I'm wondering...now that I have a better sense of the company's dress code/style, how should I dress for the second interview? The same suit (maybe with a different shirt/tie combo, for variety)? A button down shirt and tie? Button down shirt and no tie? I think going all the way to jeans, even though that's how the whole office seems to dress, might be going to far, but I'm thinking maybe the suit isn't right either. I'd rather err on the side of conservatism, but not TOO FAR on the side of conservatism.

Dude, don't create your own doom. Just wear a suit. Also, if your interview was on Friday, it's most likely it was their dress-down day. If you go for another interview not on Friday, they'll be dressing more formal.
*edit* oops they already said all that...