PDA

View Full Version : NY Times: "A student's video resume gets attention (some of it unwanted)"

SpaceMonkey
10-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Article link (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/21/business/21bank.html?em&ex=1161835200&en=778af4a548fe591c&ei=5087%0A) (NY Times registration required)

With his name and image on Web sites and his appearance on the “Today” show, Aleksey Vayner may be the most famous investment-banking job applicant in recent memory.

Mr. Vayner’s curious celebrity came after an 11-page cover letter and résumé as well as an elaborate video that he had submitted to the Swiss bank giant UBS showed up on two blogs, and then quickly spread on the Internet. The clip, staged to look like a job interview, is spliced with shots of Mr. Vayner lifting weights and ballroom dancing and has him spouting Zen-like inspirational messages.

I read this at work, and thought it was interesting. The lengths people can go to put themselves "out there." It's too bad that it may burn him from applying to finance jobs in the future.

yankeeyosh
10-24-2006, 08:19 AM
Yup...it's pretty cool, but when push comes to shove, HR ain't gonna like it. That's how it is...gotta be as conservative and conformist as possible.

grneyedmustang
10-24-2006, 10:32 AM
I thought it was pretty creative. Who knows? Maybe some firm will appreciate the uniqueness of his idea (his ability to think outside the box, ugh) and ask him to come work for them???

MollyMe
10-24-2006, 12:23 PM
I saw him on TV. Does someone really want to hire a guy who says the video of him skiing is "probably" him? Not only that, but many of the claims are questionable. You see him breaking bricks and lifting weight, but you never actually see his face when he is doing these things.

LakeJay
10-24-2006, 12:27 PM
I saw him on TV. Does someone really want to hire a guy who says the video of him skiing is "probably" him? Not only that, but many of the claims are questionable. You see him breaking bricks and lifting weight, but you never actually see his face when he is doing these things.

In my opinion I don't think that's the point. I don't think anyone would have hired him for his ability to break bricks, perform ballet, lift weights, etc. I would think someone might take a risk on his creativity and initiative in putting together a unique resume such as this one. Then again, it may have backfired on him as he thinks it may have.