PDA

View Full Version : Which state has best welfare benefits?

unpopular
10-27-2006, 11:58 PM
Hey everybody. I returned to the US after taking an unpaid internship in Europe for most of this year. I have very little money left, and probably will have to go on welfare. But I can go to any state, and I need to decide which state has the best welfare benefits.

What are your experiences with welfare benefits in your state?

I have a BA and a Master's, so I'm probably not the typical person on welfare. In my field (librarianship) there is a huge imbalance between the number of jobs and the number of job-seekers. I'm getting very good at applying for jobs in my field and not getting hired, so if some states require proof of job applications in order to get benefits that won't be a problem. There are plenty of job ads, but hundreds of applicants for each, so in all probability I could go for years applying for three jobs every week and still not get hired.

And I'm a bit of an introvert as well. I do well working at libraries where I have very specialized knowledge, but I doubt I could just work at a department store or somplace where I know very little about the products being sold.

Where can one live on welfare checks? I'm now thinking about going to a remote village in coastal Alaska, but I could go anywhere and want to hear your stories about welfare in your state.

yankeeyosh
10-28-2006, 12:06 AM
I am a proponent of the welfare state, but I seriously don't think your situation warrants you going on welfare. If you need a job desperately, you can temp.

PenforPrez
10-28-2006, 12:20 AM
If you need a job desperately, you can temp.

That's what I had to do. I was so desperate, I could not afford to leave my house. So I went out EVERY DAY to find a job, and landed one in a month. And I'm making slightly more than the job I left. Not that that is any great accomplishment. :rolleyes:

As far as welfare, don't move to Missouri. The Social Darwinist morons that run this state right now have cut all welfare to the bare bones. Medicaid has been almost eliminated entirely and food stamps aren't worth the trouble.

Paul

unpopular
10-28-2006, 12:26 AM
Sorry, no temp agencies where I currently am. Doubt there are any in most rural areas where the cost-of-living is low enough to live on welfare.

yankeeyosh
10-28-2006, 12:32 AM
Well, I hate to say this, but you'll probably have to take anything you can get, even if it's making Chicken McBurgers. I believe in welfare, but it should only be a last resort. It sounds like you're a bit "picky" when it comes to what jobs you will take...this program, since the days of FDR and the New Deal, was not intended to be used in that way.

PenforPrez
10-28-2006, 12:34 AM
Sorry, no temp agencies where I currently am. Doubt there are any in most rural areas where the cost-of-living is low enough to live on welfare.

I live in a rural area too; been there, done that.

spokes
10-28-2006, 01:05 AM
let me get this straight - you can relocate to any state, and you just came back from an unpaid internship in europe and you want to go on welfare.

hopefully you put as much effort into your job search as you are into finding which state has the best welfare benefits.

NewMrs.
10-28-2006, 02:07 AM
Hey everybody. I returned to the US after taking an unpaid internship in Europe for most of this year. I have very little money left, and probably will have to go on welfare. But I can go to any state, and I need to decide which state has the best welfare benefits.

I have a BA and a Master's, so I'm probably not the typical person on welfare. In my field (librarianship) there is a huge imbalance between the number of jobs and the number of job-seekers. I'm getting very good at applying for jobs in my field and not getting hired, so if some states require proof of job applications in order to get benefits that won't be a problem. There are plenty of job ads, but hundreds of applicants for each, so in all probability I could go for years applying for three jobs every week and still not get hired.

And I'm a bit of an introvert as well. I do well working at libraries where I have very specialized knowledge, but I doubt I could just work at a department store or somplace where I know very little about the products being sold.

Where can one live on welfare checks? I'm now thinking about going to a remote village in coastal Alaska, but I could go anywhere and want to hear your stories about welfare in your state.

Is this a joke?

From which school did you earn your MLS?

My younger sister finished her MLS this past August and in September she had a job as a librarian. She went to grad school at Pitt, and she had to move to the Philadelphia area to take her new job. She didn't have any connections, she was just willing to move to get a job.

BTW, the cost of living in Western Pennsylvania is extremely low and we have a ton of temp agencies here. One of my friends paid her bills by temping for awhile, and she was living on her own.

NewMrs.
10-28-2006, 02:35 AM
What I meant to say is that I am sorry that for the moment you are feeling unemployable.

However, the fact that you have been working out of the country for no money means that you have not been paying taxes lately. A huge chunk of my paycheck goes toward taxes. If I lived in a state with a great welfare program, why should I as a taxpayer let you know about this so that you could come live off of my tax money?

BTW, I am not completely against public assistance. My mother was eligible for WIC (free milk and dairy products) at one point when she was pregnant with one of my sisters because my dad made pennies teaching high school.

cache
10-28-2006, 10:41 AM
I believed this was absurd until I got to the last sentence:

I'm now thinking about going to a remote village in coastal Alaska, but I could go anywhere and want to hear your stories about welfare in your state.

...now I know it is a joke.

winneythepooh7
10-28-2006, 10:55 AM
Seeing as many of my clients who actually do have a disability preventing them from working often get turned down from getting benefits on average 2-3x, I somehow doubt it's going to be "that easy" for this dude.

shimma
10-28-2006, 11:40 AM

I'm not even sure this post is for real, but

1. You have to apply to more than 3 jobs a week if you really want to fix your situation.

2. Maybe you can get a job as an admin assistant, technical writer, etc? You don't have to be supersocial at those jobs, and those are prob a fit for your background.

3. Is it an option to crash with the 'rents for a few months while you get back on your feet?

hopefully you put as much effort into your job search as you are into finding which state has the best welfare benefits.
He said it, I didn't. Welfare benefits are NOT easy to get when you have a college degree (I remember from my parents' experience) much less a masters. You're gonna have to prove that you are busting your butt looking for work and that there is literally nothing out there.

NewMrs.
10-28-2006, 01:53 PM
I'm not so good at being able to tell which posts are jokes and which are genuine. I thought that the post by the girl who couldn't figure out how to apply for a job at McDonald's was a joke. Apparently it wasn't?

On one of the other message boards I visit, people post far-fatched stuff all the time just too see how long it takes before someone calls them on it.

yankeeyosh
10-28-2006, 02:13 PM
I'm not so good at being able to tell which posts are jokes and which are genuine. I thought that the post by the girl who couldn't figure out how to apply for a job at McDonald's was a joke. Apparently it wasn't?

On one of the other message boards I visit, people post far-fatched stuff all the time just too see how long it takes before someone calls them on it.

This is why I sometimes have to throw up my hands on this site. Sometimes I see people who are too spoiled and too "entitled", and other times I see people who are totally clueless and/or lazy.

What's scary is that these are the people who admit they HAVE a QLC. What about those who don't and go through life without any advice? I am worried about this generation. Really worried.

winneythepooh7
10-28-2006, 02:18 PM
This is why I sometimes have to throw up my hands on this site. Sometimes I see people who are too spoiled and too "entitled", and other times I see people who are totally clueless and/or lazy.

What's scary is that these are the people who admit they HAVE a QLC. What about those who don't and go through life without any advice? I am worried about this generation. Really worried.

Or you become me, the Board Bitch, when you call out certain people on stuff. Oh well. I worry too Mark. I see stuff in my field all the time that really makes me have a negative outlook about the turn our world is taking.

shimma
10-28-2006, 02:35 PM
Or you become me, the Board Bitch, when you call out certain people on stuff.

I'm the Board Bitch, Bitch, and the Board Ceausceau too! And don't you forget it! ;)

That's why you need to do that thing I suggested. In your spare time.

The Knot/Nest?

winneythepooh7
10-28-2006, 02:37 PM
The Knot/Nest?

Bwahhahhah!! I don't go on that site much. The people who are getting married in 2010, yet, haven't met their future husbands are the BEST!

shimma
10-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Bwahhahhah!! I don't go on that site much. The people who are getting married in 2010, yet, haven't met their future husbands are the BEST!

The message board for the "not engaged yet" ladies seriously freaking scares me: "Poll: How did you trap your husband into marriage?" "I've been dating this guy for three whole weeks and he hasn't brought up marriage yet, what gives?"

Do you have the url to my blog? I ripped on the "not engaged yet" ladies in there awhile back...

winneythepooh7
10-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I think I do, but PM me anyways ;).

unpopular
10-28-2006, 07:09 PM
Hey people! I need help here! Tell me about your experiences with welfare.

No this is not a joke. I apply for hundreds of jobs every year and the ONLY opportunity I have had this year was an UNPAID INTERNSHIP for which I had to relocate HALFWAY AROUND THE WORLD! It used up all my savings and did not lead to a job. So I`m stuck. My visa ran out and I was required to return to the US. Now I am mooching off of relatives who live in the middle of nowhere in the woods of Northern Maine. Closest real city is a 4 hour drive. No temp agencies, no McDonalds, no companies who need technical writers anywhere close to where I am. There is no industry to speak of in New England; half the people in the nearest town are on welfare. I'm running out of money. I constantly apply for jobs but get nowhere. I'm a librarian, it's not my fault that the American Library Association allowed too many people to get their library degrees so very few of us can find jobs.

I have no property, no money, no nothing. HELP!!!

yankeeyosh
10-28-2006, 07:18 PM

No this is not a joke. I apply for hundreds of jobs every year and the ONLY opportunity I have had this year was an UNPAID INTERNSHIP for which I had to relocate HALFWAY AROUND THE WORLD! It used up all my savings and did not lead to a job. So I`m stuck. My visa ran out and I was required to return to the US. Now I am mooching off of relatives who live in the middle of nowhere in the woods of Northern Maine. Closest real city is a 4 hour drive. No temp agencies, no McDonalds, no companies who need technical writers anywhere close to where I am. There is no industry to speak of in New England; half the people in the nearest town are on welfare. I'm running out of money. I constantly apply for jobs but get nowhere. I'm a librarian, it's not my fault that the American Library Association allowed too many people to get their library degrees so very few of us can find jobs.

Well, I hear you in terms of finding work. I have to relocate every time I find another job because of the field I chose and my poor interviewing skills. Also, L-rd knows the struggles I've gone through these past seven years in terms of finding decent work...the search continues. And New England sucks balls when it comes to finding jobs. But you can't go to Portland or Bangor and see if you could do something for a while, even if it is just making McBurgers? You have something the people in that town don't have...an education and a chance to be mobile. I hate to break this to you, but I seriously doubt you would be a good candidate for welfare assistance. It should only be reserved for people who are stuck and have no real hope.

red
10-28-2006, 07:28 PM
what about getting a seasonal job at a ski resort? new england has plenty of those and they're always looking to hire people. then you could at least make some money while you look for something permanent.

yankeeyosh
10-28-2006, 07:29 PM
what about getting a seasonal job at a ski resort? new england has plenty of those and they're always looking to hire people. then you could at least make some money while you look for something permanent.

That's a great idea, red. Maine has tons of those places.

red
10-28-2006, 07:45 PM
do you have any experience with proofreading or copyediting? you can also do that on a freelance basis. or making indexes, etc.

red
10-28-2006, 07:46 PM
That's a great idea, red. Maine has tons of those places.

i'm actually pretty smart. that's why they pay me the big bucks ;-) LOL

NewMrs.
10-28-2006, 08:35 PM
If this isn't really a joke, and you are actually trained as a librarian, then you probably know how to research things. I hear that there's this little website called Google . . .

shimma
10-28-2006, 11:42 PM
LMAO NewMrs! :)

I apply for hundreds of jobs every year and the ONLY opportunity I have had this year was an UNPAID INTERNSHIP for which I had to relocate HALFWAY AROUND THE WORLD!

Then maybe you need to start looking at jobs besides being a librarian. Lots of our jobs have nothing to do with what we studied, but somehow we still manage to get up every morning.

yankeeyosh
10-29-2006, 12:00 AM
LMAO NewMrs! :)

Then maybe you need to start looking at jobs besides being a librarian. Lots of our jobs have nothing to do with what we studied, but somehow we still manage to get up every morning.

Indeed. I wanted to do research or be a meteorologist. I hoped a master's degree would be sufficient. It's not going to happen. But I have to make a living so I get a job in a totally different field...even though it sucks balls.

shimma
10-29-2006, 12:35 AM
Indeed. I wanted to do research or be a meteorologist. I hoped a master's degree would be sufficient. It's not going to happen. But I have to make a living so I get a job in a totally different field...even though it sucks balls.

Bwah! I've never heard you cuss before. Awesome!

spokes
10-29-2006, 12:47 AM

No this is not a joke.

i am sorry, but this post has really annoyed me..........good grief - you must have missed the week at university when they taught common sense - you go halfway around the workld for an unpaid internship and you are apparently mobile enough to relocate anywhere in the US, but yet you apply for 100's of jobs - give me a break.

get a mcjob, and then figure out what you are doing wrong.

and btw i am not a college grad, nor have i ever taken any training as a researcher, but if i were you i would start by going to each states home internet page, where i am sure you could find all of the information you are hoping that someone will miracliousy provide for you.

but in my opinion you need a kick in the ass a lot more than you need a welfare cheque.

oh an as an aside, before you go running off to move to the state that will provide you with the largest welfare cheque - consider the cost of living in that state, which i am sure someone here could provide you with.

yankeeyosh
10-29-2006, 12:56 AM
Bwah! I've never heard you cuss before. Awesome!

Hey I cussed before on this board. Sometimes I use a * or such (a bit OT, but I like what embarassezzla does and replaces "shit" with "sh!t"), but it's there. If you search my name and a cuss, the 'f'-bomb appears nine times, and the 's'-bomb appears fifty-three times :)

Fashionista
10-29-2006, 01:02 AM
unpopular, while I understand you are struggling, aren't you at least a tad bit embarrassed asking for welfare? I'm sorry but welfare is not something even worth asking for. The people who really need it hate requesting it because the social workers are so nasty and the money isn't enough to live off of. Please consider working any job before going down to the office and embarrassing yourself.

Lastly please consider the fact that if you are not living by yourself (like living with realitives) they more than likely will include their income and deny you.

Fashionista
10-29-2006, 01:13 AM

WHen I graduated from school I had a lot of trouble finding work and add to the problem that some jobs probably could have gotten I can't get to I because I don't have a car and the public transit is non existent in that area. I barly anything and not realitives to "mooch" off of but I never ever for 1 second considered going on welfare even when I really needed it because I barely was getting my basic needs met.

Anyway what I am saying is I understand the job search is rough but you need to really reconsider this. I am just gonna assume this thread is really about you being more tired of searching and being stressed out, which accounts for you not thinking logically.

shimma
10-29-2006, 01:13 AM
Hey I cussed before on this board. Sometimes I use a * or such (a bit OT, but I like what embarassezzla does and replaces "shit" with "sh!t"), but it's there. If you search my name and a cuss, the 'f'-bomb appears nine times, and the 's'-bomb appears fifty-three times :)

HA! Beat you, for me fuck appears 12 times, now would be 13, except I'm gonna go say fuck again and make it 14. And shit appears 37 times. Make that 37. shit. 38. shit. 39. shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit! 48.

fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. 20.

yankeeyosh
10-29-2006, 01:27 AM
HA! Beat you, for me fuck appears 12 times, now would be 13, except I'm gonna go say fuck again and make it 14. And shit appears 37 times. Make that 37. shit. 38. shit. 39. shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit shit! 48.

fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuck. 20.

What? Is this like that South Park parody of Chicago Hope where they had the "shit meter"? And still...your 37 shits is less than my 53. And even when you sum up the shits and fucks, your 49 is less than my 62. (of course, I have five times as many posts as you, so your shit and fuck rate is much higher than mine.)

By the way, all those shits only count once, since the search function only looks for individual threads where the word "shit" appears...not each instance of "shit".

Shit, it's 1:30. If I don't go to bed soon, I'll fuck up my sleeping habits.

winneythepooh7
10-29-2006, 08:06 AM
The people who really need it hate requesting it because the social workers are so nasty and the money isn't enough to live off of.

As a Social Worker, I just want to throw in that the people who work in the welfare office, at least here in NYC and in Upstate NY are NOT Social Workers. They are just some random person who passed a test and then made it through a wait list saying they can assist people in filling out applications. They are not Social Workers, which probably explains their "nastiness". For the record, I despise going to these type of offices for that exact reason. I had a cousin once who worked in an office like this. He certainly was not a Social Worker, he barely had a Bachelor's and is the last person in the world who should be working with people. Sorry for the threadjack, but I feel the need to defend my profession ;). And you are right about the money not really being enough to live off. My clients on SSI here in NYC get about $666 a month. They are lucky because at least their housing is subsidized. But they still have to pay 1/3 of their income towards their rent.

shimma
10-29-2006, 10:58 AM
What? Is this like that South Park parody of Chicago Hope where they had the "shit meter"? And still...your 37 shits is less than my 53. And even when you sum up the shits and fucks, your 49 is less than my 62. (of course, I have five times as many posts as you, so your shit and fuck rate is much higher than mine.)

By the way, all those shits only count once, since the search function only looks for individual threads where the word "shit" appears...not each instance of "shit".

Shit, it's 1:30. If I don't go to bed soon, I'll fuck up my sleeping habits.
:lol:
Shit, I never fuckin' saw that episode. You're too good with math for your won good. :) I've got to get to more cussing then.

hotdog36
10-29-2006, 12:50 PM
As Fashionista already said, if you are living with relatives, I don't think there is any way that you will get on welfare, as you will have to state their income. Also, I've heard if you have a college degree, it becomes even harder to get welfare, as they kind of assume you can find a job.

zen_mistress
10-29-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm the Board Bitch, Bitch, and the Board Ceausceau too! And don't you forget it! ;)

I've seen Ceausceau's house!. It was really, really huge.

Sorry for the threadjacking, I just got a bit excited. I had forgotten all about this. :)

wordsmith
10-29-2006, 09:17 PM
Not being able to find a job in your first pick field is NOT a valid reason to resort to welfare, IMO.

shimma
10-29-2006, 09:20 PM
I've seen Ceausceau's house!. It was really, really huge.

I live in an 800sqft 1bedroom. I don't even get my own room. :mad:

zen_mistress
10-29-2006, 09:27 PM
I live in an 800sqft 1bedroom. I don't even get my own room. :mad:

Yeah. I felt a bit jealous when I saw it as well. Would be nice to have a mansion/palace of one's own.

Though, smaller places are easier to clean.... a definite upside for me :) .

Krishna
10-29-2006, 10:31 PM
Or you become me, the Board Bitch, when you call out certain people on stuff. Oh well. I worry too Mark. I see stuff in my field all the time that really makes me have a negative outlook about the turn our world is taking.

I think that a lot, especially when I see the way today's youth behave in school and outside school.

yankeeyosh
10-29-2006, 11:07 PM
I think that a lot, especially when I see the way today's youth behave in school and outside school.

I have hope for the youth of today living in Generation 'Z'. I think they're a good generation that will treat others fairly. And I think they will "rebel" against the materialism and anti-dues-paying mentality we see here often.

wordsmith
10-29-2006, 11:13 PM
What exactly do you base that on? I'm not trying to be negative or argumentative, I'm genuinely curious as to how you're assessing this.

yankeeyosh
10-29-2006, 11:34 PM
What exactly do you base that on? I'm not trying to be negative or argumentative, I'm genuinely curious as to how you're assessing this.

What? Generation 'Z'? Honestly, I'm not close enough to this generation to make a strong prediction. It's mostly hope. However, there are early indications that seem to show that they are not going to fall under the same trap as Gen 'Y'. For instance, the abolishment of Early Decision was a small, but good step in the right direction. Many 'Yers' "rebelled" against 'Xers' by expecting everything now, now, now, while 'Xers' "rebelled" against the Boom by not wanting to work a milion hours a week. I think (or at least hope) that 'Zers' will "rebel" against 'Yers' by not wanting to feel as much pressure and just let things run their course.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 10:00 AM
When I was unemployed for a year I got medicaid and food stamps. I believe that this country is great in that it provides for it's people when they are down on their luck, so I now that I have a job I'm paying it back in my taxes. And I could have forgone assistance and worked at mcdonalds, but in all honesty I'm too good for that. And if this guy has a masters he's too good for that too. The govt ruined the economy and that's why it's so hard to get good jobs, so the govt should have to pay assistance to it's people, the only thing is that the burden of taxes should be shifted more to the rich, because fuck them.

meatwad
10-30-2006, 10:13 AM
When I was unemployed for a year I got medicaid and food stamps. I believe that this country is great in that it provides for it's people when they are down on their luck, so I now that I have a job I'm paying it back in my taxes. And I could have forgone assistance and worked at mcdonalds, but in all honesty I'm too good for that. And if this guy has a masters he's too good for that too. The govt ruined the economy and that's why it's so hard to get good jobs, so the govt should have to pay assistance to it's people, the only thing is that the burden of taxes should be shifted more to the rich, because fuck them.

I'm still trying to figure out if you're a troll or just clueless.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 10:24 AM
I'm still trying to figure out if you're a troll or just clueless.
Blah blah blah you should pay your dues, work harder at looking for a job, you're the one who's clueless because you've been fed all these lies about this stuff. Think about it, life doesn't have to be so hard.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 11:20 AM
So you're "too good" to work a minimum wage job, but not "too good" to take a handout? Interesting logic.

cache
10-30-2006, 11:26 AM
I have to give this person credit, s/he's kept this joke going for 4 pages now.

MollyMe
10-30-2006, 11:29 AM
If you are having a problem finding a job, don't blame it on the ALA; you got the degree. Being introverted is not an excuse for not getting a non-library job. They will train you in the job and if you got a masters, you should be able to figure it out.
Is you resume/application material outstanding?
Are you in the right location? They may not want to deal with someone who has to relocate.
Are you matching your cover letter/resume to the specific job or just sending out generic letters?
Where are you searching for jobs? Places like monster have way too many job applicants. I've gotten jobs through networking and my university announcing jobs. The jobs only had a few applicants.
You don't need to answer those here, but there are things you can do to help you with your job search.

Instead of looking for the state with the best welfare, look for the state with the best library jobs.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 11:38 AM
So you're "too good" to work a minimum wage job, but not "too good" to take a handout? Interesting logic.
I see what you're saying, but I don't look at it as a handout, I look at it as accepting the bare necessities for living, I mean we pay a lot of our salaries towards taxes, why not get something back from it if you're down on your luck. For example have you seen the movie Cinderella man? Ok I admit I don't have it as bad but he sucked up his pride and applied for welfare, then when he was world boxing champ he walked into the welfare office and handed them cash to pay the govt back. That's how I look at my paying of half my paycheck now to the govt. And I was working still while on welfare, a bookstore, which was a hard job to get despite being low pay, I only got it because of a friend working there! It was better than mcdys, I kind of doubt any of the people here sticking their noses at people on welfare ever had to work at mcdonalds. That destroys your mind, I'd rather be "embarassed for being on welfare".

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 11:40 AM
It was better than mcdys, I kind of doubt any of the people here sticking their noses at people on welfare ever had to work at mcdonalds. That destroys your mind, I'd rather be "embarassed for being on welfare".

Sorry kiddo, but I worked at McDonald's. And for more than a year. And I'd go back if things got to the point where it's all I had.

meatwad
10-30-2006, 11:40 AM
I see what you're saying, but I don't look at it as a handout, I look at it as accepting the bare necessities for living, I mean we pay a lot of our salaries towards taxes, why not get something back from it if you're down on your luck. For example have you seen the movie Cinderella man? Ok I admit I don't have it as bad but he sucked up his pride and applied for welfare, then when he was world boxing champ he walked into the welfare office and handed them cash to pay the govt back. That's how I look at my paying of half my paycheck now to the govt. And I was working still while on welfare, a bookstore, which was a hard job to get despite being low pay, I only got it because of a friend working there! It was better than mcdys, I kind of doubt any of the people here sticking their noses at people on welfare ever had to work at mcdonalds. That destroys your mind, I'd rather be "embarassed for being on welfare".

Yeah, but in Cindarella Man, he took the check as an absolute last resort, which I agree with. And that was during the Great Depression. We're not even close to that situation right now.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 11:42 AM
Sorry kiddo, but I worked at McDonald's. And for more than a year. And I'd go back if things got to the point where it's all I had.
Right kiddo I don't believe you, anyway can we agree to disagree and not getting crazy?

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 11:44 AM
I see what you're saying, but I don't look at it as a handout, I look at it as accepting the bare necessities for living, I mean we pay a lot of our salaries towards taxes, why not get something back from it if you're down on your luck.

Refusing to take a job you could easily do simply because you don't WANNA is NOT synonymous with being down on your luck.

For example have you seen the movie Cinderella man? Ok I admit I don't have it as bad but he sucked up his pride and applied for welfare, then when he was world boxing champ he walked into the welfare office and handed them cash to pay the govt back. That's how I look at my paying of half my paycheck now to the govt. And I was working still while on welfare, a bookstore, which was a hard job to get despite being low pay, I only got it because of a friend working there! It was better than mcdys,

I have seen Cinderella Man, and when you are living through the Great Depression, and have to farm your kids out to relatives because you can't provide HEAT for them or feed them, then you're "down on your luck."

I kind of doubt any of the people here sticking their noses at people on welfare ever had to work at mcdonalds. That destroys your mind, I'd rather be "embarassed for being on welfare".

I used to do social work for people who really DID have nothing to depend upon but welfare...no education, no marketable skills to speak of and were living in economically depressed area where there weren't the jobs if they did have the education or skills. So I'm NOT sticking my nose up at people on welfare, by any means, IF THEY NEED IT AND ARE NOT ABUSING IT. There are people who NEED the "bare necessities for living," and they're not people who are perfectly capable of working a menial job, but who find it to be too degrading.

I also grew up in a low-income family that chose to struggle, rather than go on public aid out of pride. I've worked my share of fast food and factory labor.

I don't look at welfare as a handout, either, for people who need it.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 11:46 AM
It's just my opinion, don't get too upset I'm a guy on a messageboard to you, but I just feel like I'm too good to work at mcdonalds at this stage in my life.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 11:47 AM
Don't get upset, I'm just a girl on a messageboard, but you need a serious reality check.

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 11:50 AM
Right kiddo I don't believe you, anyway can we agree to disagree and not getting crazy?

So what. You don't have to believe me. The only thing that matters to me is what I would do in that situation. I don't need some trollish-figure from an internet message board to tell me what I would and wouldn't do in a certain situation. :googly:

meatwad
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
It's just my opinion, don't get too upset I'm a guy on a messageboard to you, but I just feel like I'm too good to work at mcdonalds at this stage in my life.

Right. And my opinion is, that's not a good enough reason for me to give you my tax money.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 11:52 AM
Also times have changed since Cinderella Man's days. I think we should expect more out of life. We have all this technology, and supposedly the economy is better (though where I am in upstate ny it seems like the great depression), why not provide for people who may have it tough, if we can? Have any of you ever asked yourselves why you have to work so hard for a little bit of money? I'm not talking about giving people money so they can afford nice houses and cars, just basic money for basic needs in life, that's all I got from welfare, medicaid for health insurance and food stamps for food? I don't apologize for feeling like I deserved those things. And I don't think I'm the one who is out of touch, I guarantee none of you ever worked hard in your lives for low wages, maybe you worked at mcdonalds when you were 16 for spending money, but imagine doing that for a living.

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 11:55 AM
I am around people every day who have to depend on the system because they are disabled and can't work (but the majority want to, believe me). I also have learned that when your life is taken away from you in an instant, you would often do whatever you could to even have a job like McDonald's, instead of having to deal with the "system" and the little bit of $$ it gives you, in addition to a whole lot of shame and stigma.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 11:57 AM
There is NO way that upstate NY today is anything like the Great Depression. I live in the economically bereft rural midwest with a soaring unemployment rate, and we're the freaking Rockefellers compared to how people lived during the Great Depression.

P.S. I did work at McDonald's when I was 16 for spending money, and I also worked in a plastics manufacturing plant, commercial cannery, and agricultural manufacturing plant for up to 12 hour shifts alongside migrant laborers so I could afford my college education, so you need to bear in mind when you toss out comments like "I doubt any of you have ever worked hard in your life," that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And do I make shitloads now? Nope. But that's the way it goes. I'm certainly not too good to take my low-paying job.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 12:00 PM
There is NO way that upstate NY today is anything like the Great Depression. I live in the economically bereft rural midwest with a soaring unemployment rate, and we're the freaking Rockefellers compared to how people lived during the Great Depression.

P.S. I did work at McDonald's when I was 16 for spending money, and I also worked in a plastics manufacturing plant, commercial cannery, and agricultural manufacturing plant for up to 12 hour shifts alongside migrant laborers so I could afford my college education, so you need to bear in mind when you toss out comments like "I doubt any of you have ever worked hard in your life," that you have absolutely no idea what you're talking about. And do I make shitloads now? Nope. But that's the way it goes. I'm certainly not too good to take my low-paying job.
What's your job? I agurantee that your factory jobs were better than mcydys, I'm just saying those jobs are hard to get!

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 12:01 PM

My family lives in the Hudson Valley in Upstate NY and it's not that bad. My company is based in Buffalo and it's not that bad either. I know plenty of people who waitress and work in grocery stores if they need to. I also work in a low-paying profession and am paying out my ass for my student loans, but it certainly hasn't made me feel like I am doing something "below me". In fact, if anything, I think working in this field has made me a better person. Again, it has also taught me that at anytime anything could happen to me or anyone I care about and that depending on the system is NOT a good thing.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 12:02 PM
A decent paying job should be a guarantee. The bare minimum to live should be guranteed. You cannot survive working at mcydys. Anyone doing that for their sole income will have to be getting assistance from somewhere else, i.e. welfare. Sorry you guys had to hear these facts of life from me, a weirdo on the internet.

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 12:03 PM
A decent paying job should be a guarantee. The bare minimum to live should be guranteed. You cannot survive working at mcydys. Anyone doing that for their sole income will have to be getting assistance from somewhere else, i.e. welfare. Sorry you guys had to hear these facts of life from me, a weirdo on the internet.

There are no guarantees in life. That at least is common sense.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 12:05 PM
Also . . . have any of you ever considered . . . what if I'm the regular person . . . and you're all the TROLLS! Scary thought huh . . . :huge:

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 12:05 PM
What's your job? I agurantee that your factory jobs were better than mcydys, I'm just saying those jobs are hard to get!

I'm a journalist. We start at about 19k a year. You can make more working in a factory (if you're union, and not migrant labor, anyway). I don't do it for the $$$.

Factory jobs for seasonal/migrant workers (which I was) pay minimum wage, same as McDs. And it's more dangerous. I spent months on year unloading tons of sheet metal and metal coils from semis with a crane, and climbing around on greasy steel. The woman I replaced had her leg severed from her body and then crushed when coil fell on her.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 12:06 PM
There are no guarantees in life. That at least is common sense.
Think outside the box winney! Why not I say! Maybe I'm a left wing wacko wilth delusions of untopias . . . but dammit I'm not compromising on my beliefs, the life that you describe is too damn depressing.

cache
10-30-2006, 12:07 PM
Also times have changed since Cinderella Man's days. I think we should expect more out of life. We have all this technology, and supposedly the economy is better (though where I am in upstate ny it seems like the great depression), why not provide for people who may have it tough, if we can? Have any of you ever asked yourselves why you have to work so hard for a little bit of money? I'm not talking about giving people money so they can afford nice houses and cars, just basic money for basic needs in life, that's all I got from welfare, medicaid for health insurance and food stamps for food? I don't apologize for feeling like I deserved those things. And I don't think I'm the one who is out of touch, I guarantee none of you ever worked hard in your lives for low wages, maybe you worked at mcdonalds when you were 16 for spending money, but imagine doing that for a living.

Ok, OK, I was staying out of this, but I must address this. First, don't for a second assume that you know everyone's life situation and history and try to apply your theories to everyone. I started working at McDonalds when I was 14. Yes, 14. That was after 2 years at a paper route followed by 2 years as a golf caddy. And yes, I was one of the youngest people ever hired into McDonald's at that time- I got the job because of persistance. And while some of my paychecks went to enjoying being a teenager, I also had to take care of a lot of expenses on my own, since my parents never had a lot of money.

I have been continuously employed since I was 10 years old. And even now, I know that NO ONE owes me anything. Anything that I want, I work for. My taxes? Well, I pay those so I have roads to drive on, schools to attend, safe products to use, and don't have to worry about invasion from Canada.

Maybe you feel entitled to something, but the fact is your situation is your own. Balme the economy, blame your college counselors, but in the end you are responsible for you. I have sympathy those who are having difficulty finding positions in their chosen field, but I have none for those unwilling to do what is necessary to make things work. You talk about the Great Depression. Do a little research and learn the attitude of people then. They would stand in line all day just for an opportunity at a little work. And most of them would do whatever work they had to to earn money.

Because to them...to me...and many others, it is about pride. Pride in yourself, that you can make things work, even when things don't work out the way you planned, and not take the easy way out.

Don't wonder any longer why you don't have a job. A commitment to success is something you must have in your entire life to be successful, not just when you think it is appropriate.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 12:08 PM
A decent paying job should be a guarantee. The bare minimum to live should be guranteed.

There are no guarantees. Sorry you had to hear that from me, a weirdo on the internet.

You cannot survive working at mcydys. Anyone doing that for their sole income will have to be getting assistance from somewhere else, i.e. welfare.

So you figure it's okay to do NOTHING and be dependent upon aid than do something and be dependent upon aid.

meatwad
10-30-2006, 12:09 PM
Think outside the box winney! Why not I say! Maybe I'm a left wing wacko wilth delusions of untopias . . . but dammit I'm not compromising on my beliefs, the life that you describe is too damn depressing.

Maybe? :huge:

WorkInProgress
10-30-2006, 12:13 PM

Oh yeah, way revolutionary. 100 years ago. On another continent. And, it didn't work out there either.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 12:22 PM
Oh yeah, way revolutionary. 100 years ago. On another continent. And, it didn't work out there either.
Yeah . . . because evil rich corporate America had to ruin it for them . . . little thing called the cold war, look it up, should be in a history book.

LaFille
10-30-2006, 12:44 PM
i live in upstate ny too and i can attest to the fact that the job market is extraordinarily shitty, and that pretty much everyone is underemployed. i live in rochester. if i could afford to, i would move to another city, but i can't at the moment. i'm waitressing right now while i look for a job for which i can use my degree. i don't consider myself 'too good' for waiting tables simply because i have a degree, and i don't think it's fair for anyone to have that attitude. the other women i work with are all professional waitresses who do it for a living, and they are awesome... intelligent, quick, tough... a lot of them never really had the luxury of even getting a degree, but i don't hear any of them bitching about it. i hate waitressing with a passion, but i'm working my ass off against the odds to find something better and i have to do something to support myself in the meantime.

one more thing about upstate.... you can't beat it for cost of living. i know many people like me who live on service industry wages while looking for something that corresponds with their degree.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 12:50 PM
i live in upstate ny too and i can attest to the fact that the job market is extraordinarily shitty, and that pretty much everyone is underemployed. i live in rochester. if i could afford to, i would move to another city, but i can't at the moment. i'm waitressing right now while i look for a job for which i can use my degree. i don't consider myself 'too good' for waiting tables simply because i have a degree, and i don't think it's fair for anyone to have that attitude. the other women i work with are all professional waitresses who do it for a living, and they are awesome... intelligent, quick, tough... a lot of them never really had the luxury of even getting a degree, but i don't hear any of them bitching about it. i hate waitressing with a passion, but i'm working my ass off against the odds to find something better and i have to do something to support myself in the meantime.

one more thing about upstate.... you can't beat it for cost of living. i know many people like me who live on service industry wages while looking for something that corresponds with their degree.

I agree with you that it's shitty, just like it is in a lot of other economically depressed areas of the country. What you describe sounds much like where i am. But I think that likening it to Depression era poverty, like Dostoy is trying to do, is a reach, to grossly understate it.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
I agree with you that it's shitty, just like it is in a lot of other economically depressed areas of the country. What you describe sounds much like where i am. But I think that likening it to Depression era poverty, like Dostoy is trying to do, is a reach, to grossly understate it.
Yeah but you didn't live through the depression so how can you know. I say that working for minimum wage today is akin to being unemployed in the 30s, just as shitty.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 12:55 PM
Ahahahahahahahhah! Seriously? Grow up.

LaFille
10-30-2006, 12:57 PM
i wholeheartedly concur. the fact that i have any job makes it better than the depression. but i also think that for people from more economically progressive areas, it's difficult to imagine what it's like to live here and try to find work. i have friends from all over the country and i base that belief on conversations i've had with them. we lose thousands of jobs each year. the only stable industry here is education, and many people look for teaching jobs for years before scoring one.

cache
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Hi, I'm Earth, have we met?

WorkInProgress
10-30-2006, 12:58 PM
Yeah but you didn't live through the depression so how can you know. I say that working for minimum wage today is akin to being unemployed in the 30s, just as shitty.

You didn't live in through the depression, so how can you know?

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
i wholeheartedly concur. the fact that i have any job makes it better than the depression. but i also think that for people from more economically progressive areas, it's difficult to imagine what it's like to live here and try to find work. i have friends from all over the country and i base that belief on conversations i've had with them. we lose thousands of jobs each year. the only stable industry here is education, and many people look for teaching jobs for years before scoring one.

Same, here, same here.

Our biggest sectors in our help wanted section are CNAs in nursing homes, housekeeping at motels, custodial, and over the road trucking.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 01:01 PM
You didn't live in through the depression, so how can you know?
I don't but I base it on the fact that I live through shitty jobs and see others in the situation and our lives are akin to pure shit, just like those of the great depression.

LaFille
10-30-2006, 01:06 PM
Same, here, same here.

Our biggest sectors in our help wanted section are CNAs in nursing homes, housekeeping at motels, custodial, and over the road trucking.
nice, wordsmith! ours are either night-shift welder at some factory, or senior chemical researcher executive at kodak. nothing in the middle. and it's not like you can get into companies by taking a position as an administrative assistant or something, because they all require at least a couple of years of experience. and people are always scratching their heads wondering why all the young people are fleeing!

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 01:08 PM
I don't but I base it on the fact that I live through shitty jobs and see others in the situation and our lives are akin to pure shit, just like those of the great depression.

Nope. At that point, people BEGGED for shitty jobs because it was better than nothing. The reality you decribe is preferring nothing to taking shitty jobs. It's not at all the same.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 01:12 PM
and people are always scratching their heads wondering why all the young people are fleeing!

Yup, same here. The young people here who don't get post-high school degrees don't flee, they stay and become CNAs and working in housekeeping and getting CDLs and driving trucks.

There is a bare handful of people my age in professional jobs, locally. Most people who get degrees don't come back. I'm an exception, as it the chick who's the Chamber of Commerce exec director (a year younger than I am), the chick who's the economic development director for the city (my age), a dude who's a chiropractor (two years younger than I am), my designer and sports editor at the paper (each a year younger than I am), and the assistant director at the civic center (six years younger than I am, and my sister). The seven of us ARE the young professional force locally, basically.

WorkInProgress
10-30-2006, 01:16 PM
I don't.

That's what I thought.

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Lafille, etc.:

I've mentioned this on here before, but my sister had difficulty finding a job. She has since found one that she adores, but still has to pay for her health insurance out of pocket. She does know that she could always move (at the time she could have lived with me rent-free or very low rent in NYC because I'm good like that, as her sibling ;) ), but chose to stay in the area. I think the argument Dostoy is saying is completely weak, and quite nonsensical in my opinion. I think he has too much time on his hands today so wants to stir up shit.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 01:30 PM
Lafille, etc.:

I've mentioned this on here before, but my sister had difficulty finding a job. She has since found one that she adores, but still has to pay for her health insurance out of pocket. She does know that she could always move (at the time she could have lived with me rent-free or very low rent in NYC because I'm good like that, as her sibling ;) ), but chose to stay in the area. I think the argument Dostoy is saying is completely weak, and quite nonsensical in my opinion. I think he has too much time on his hands today so wants to stir up shit.
I admit that I have too much time on my hands but not really to stir up shit, I just wanted to provide everyone with an opposing viewpoint, maybe shake up some worlds, and be effected by it myself.

cache
10-30-2006, 01:33 PM
I admit that I have too much time on my hands but not really to stir up shit, I just wanted to provide everyone with an opposing viewpoint, maybe shake up some worlds, and be effected by it myself.

You didn't shake up my world...just made me respect you less.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 01:35 PM
Consider my world unshaken. It's not news to me that some people just don't WANT to work.

Kitty
10-30-2006, 01:38 PM

lol

extraletters

WorkInProgress
10-30-2006, 01:42 PM
Consider my world unshaken. It's not news to me that some people just don't WANT to work.
Too funny. And yet, sad.

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 01:43 PM

LOL. He barely had that from me before. This just proves more the amount of crazy out there in internet-land.

LaFille
10-30-2006, 02:00 PM
Lafille, etc.:

well, that's encouraging that she wound up finding something (sans the no health insurance bit.) i know something will work out for me, but as someone working a service job i hate in the meantime, i have to say it's extremely frustrating to hear people say they'd 'prefer' to go on welfare rather than get a job that's 'below' them. :frustrate

zen_mistress
10-30-2006, 02:17 PM
Grapes of Wrath, by John Steinbeck is a very good book about the Depression for anyone who wants to read about it :)

It was where I first learned about the depression, anyway. We didnt have it in our high school history curriculum. I dont think the depression really had a huge effect over here... we had our sheep :) .

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 02:18 PM
well, that's encouraging that she wound up finding something (sans the no health insurance bit.) i know something will work out for me, but as someone working a service job i hate in the meantime, i have to say it's extremely frustrating to hear people say they'd 'prefer' to go on welfare rather than get a job that's 'below' them. :frustrate

I understand. Especially when I see people struggle day in and day out with the fact that they CAN'T work anymore, and really want to. And knowing that my taxes (and yours too from the little bit you probably make as a waitress!) may be going to a perfectly able-bodied individual. People never cease to amaze me. Recently at work, I had to go to unemployment court for someone who was in prison for the past year, who wanted to try to collect $$$ from our agency. He didn't show so it got thrown out, but the lengths people will go to sometimes is unbelieveable. As someone who has plenty of vacancies (granted only entry level and part-time at that), I can definitely say there are jobs out there. One has to be willing to work, and start somewhere at that. Just having a degree doesn't automatically give you genius or CEO status.

cache
10-30-2006, 02:37 PM
LOL. He barely had that from me before. This just proves more the amount of crazy out there in internet-land.

This thread reminds me of the movie Big Daddy where Adam Sandler's dad says to the judge "He applied for Social Security at 29!" LOL :huge:

(I thought I posted this a few minutes ago, but it is not there...sorry if it is a double post)

yankeeyosh
10-30-2006, 02:41 PM
On my soapbox...

As most of you know, I hate my job. I am clearly overqualified and constantly bored. Believe me...if I had another more meaningful opportunity, I would leave in an instant. However, I will NEVER quit just because I feel "bored" and CERTAINLY would not go on welfare.

This is a classic thread that shows why I cannot tolerate my generation, Generation 'Y', as a whole. In general, we are incredibly spoiled...either we expect society to give us the world by 30, or we do not appreciate what we have...many of us are more successful professionally or monetarily right now than our parents ever were, and yet, we don't appreciate it. This makes me VERY ill and frustrated.

You think these economic times are shitty and that you are in dire straits?

Tell that to the people living in the OLD BREWERY in FIVE POINTS or at the MULLBERRY BEND in Manhattan in the nineteenth century. They lived in the most wretched, vile, foul conditions...no ventilation...bugs and rats...and incredible poverty.

Tell that to the MILLIONS who suffered in the Great Depression...possibly including your grandparents. Tell that to those in the HOOVERVILLES and those who in a wink of an eye lost everything they possessed.

Tell that to the EASTERN KENTUCKY coal miners in the Fifties....who literally owed their soul to the company store.

Tell that to the MISSISSIPPI SHARECROPPERS, who even forty years ago...within the lifetime of the previous generation, 'X', that had to support entire families on ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS a year and had to work 15 hour days in the fields every day.

Tell that to those in the SOUTH BRONX in 1977, who were burnt out of their slums and suffered under nearly universal unemployment in a city that didn't really care for anyone except those SOUTH OF NINETY-SIXTH STREET.

Tell that to them.

This generation, Generation 'Y', doesn't know this. For many of us, history started roughly 1990, when we became aware of the world. The Great Depression, the War on Poverty....they were vaguely glanced at in between lacrosse, theater, and part time jobs. All we know is a decade where there was economic prosperity. Many (not all, but many) of us were coddled by the Boom, and therefore don't know what it means to pay dues and suffer. Essentially, for many of this gen, we expect to be on top of the world at age 30, and if we're not, we're failures. Or we expect everything to be handed to us on a silver spoon.

But yet, even today, the War on Poverty isn't over. Look at Perry, Fla. Look at Dawson, Ga or McAllen, Tex. Look at East Harlem and Anacostia. Believe it or not, it exists. And it is a terrible shame of how so many in this gen feels they are "entitled" to a great job right away.

This is infuriating me. This is an impetus. I have decided that at the 5,000th post or Election Day, 7th November...whatever comes later, I will take a hiatus. I don't know how long it will be, but I need a break from Generation 'Y'. It's not all of you...believe me...I know many, many of you know what rules to pay. But unfortunately, it is that minority that stands out. That's all I have to say.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 02:45 PM
To be fair, it's less that your generation is spoiled than this guy is a shitstirrer.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 02:50 PM
Come on this isn't about having a "great job" right away. Get off your high horse, you're contradicting yourself. Poverty is going on even today? You don't say.

WorkInProgress
10-30-2006, 03:02 PM
To be fair, it's less that your generation is spoiled than this guy is a shitstirrer.

Yeah, I agree. But hey, if he needs a break, he needs a break.

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 03:41 PM

I've taken breaks before and it can be a really positive thing.

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 03:49 PM

Oh, totally.

spokes
10-30-2006, 04:12 PM

and this boys and girls is a mindset that is known as entitlement.

for his next trick dostoy will burn down his house, crash his car and collect on his employer's health and disability benefits because he/she has duitifully paid thier required premiums.

for the record, i will continue to pay all of my social service taxes (much like i have done since i was 15 and started working) and be warm in the thought that i am helping out those that are less fortunate and think that i would gladly take a paycheque from macdonalds versus waiting each month for my welfare cheque.

dude, i am shaking my head and i am glad that the majority of able bodied people are willing to work because if everyone in your shoes took welfare, those of us that are working would have nothing left over out of our paycheques after senng our share to the government.

dostoy
10-30-2006, 04:14 PM
and this boys and girls is a mindset that is known as entitlement.

for his next trick dostoy will burn down his house, crash his car and collect on his employer's health and disability benefits because he/she has duitifully paid thier required premiums.

for the record, i will continue to pay all of my social service taxes (much like i have done since i was 15 and started working) and be warm in the thought that i am helping out those that are less fortunate and think that i would gladly take a paycheque from macdonalds versus waiting each month for my welfare cheque.

dude, i am shaking my head and i am glad that the majority of able bodied people are willing to work because if everyone in your shoes took welfare, those of us that are working would have nothing left over out of our paycheques after senng our share to the government.Point is though that I did work while on welfare, just didn't make enough money!

wordsmith
10-30-2006, 04:16 PM
Ahem...ahem. (http://www.playfulplushtoys.com/miva/graphics/00000001/classicorangetn.jpg)

winneythepooh7
10-30-2006, 04:18 PM
Ahem...ahem. (http://www.playfulplushtoys.com/miva/graphics/00000001/classicorangetn.jpg)

LOL. You go girl!

shimma
10-30-2006, 04:20 PM

Spokes when the hell did you get so funny?

Be glad you're Canadian...

WorkInProgress
10-30-2006, 04:24 PM
Spokes when the hell did you get so funny?

Be glad you're Canadian...

Why, I'm sure this is a people thing, not a US thing.

shimma
10-30-2006, 05:04 PM
Why, I'm sure this is a people thing, not a US thing.

The joke was on Dostoy, who's an American. Or at least, spells things like one.

spokes
10-30-2006, 05:33 PM
Point is though that I did work while on welfare, just didn't make enough money!

sorry, i got confused when i read "when i was unemployed for a year".

anways, rather than using the internet defend your seemingly questionable work ethic, why not use it to determine the net welfare benefits in every state in the union and then call up the good folks at atlas van lines and bust your move and get on with the show............

shimma i was always funny, it sometimes just takes people a while to recognize genius.

J-girl
10-30-2006, 05:48 PM

I dont get it though, how can you be eligible for welfare if you havent paid taxes?!?

NewMrs.
10-30-2006, 08:10 PM
I still think this is Made Up Drama from the OP.

However, there was another post on one of the other boards regarding job fairs that got me thinking. I made the mistake once of attending a job fair for the "general public" held in the civic arena of a very, very seriously economically depressed town. Silly me, I was right out of college and actually thought that I would be able to find a good job there. It turned out that there were fewer booths for actual employers than there were booths for various social service agencies. Seriously, there were several booths at this job fair that were giving out information on how to apply for government assistance. So maybe the OP could just start showing up at job fairs to find out about what he can about welfare, and say screw it to all the booths of potential employers.

yankeeyosh
10-30-2006, 09:13 PM

Look, I am obsessed with Generation 'Y'. And this is why I think I have to go. You know I like stats? Here are some stats. I date my "active" period on QLC to September of 2005, when I moved to Connie.

I searched for all threads in which I said Gen 'Y' or Generation 'Y'...keep in mind these are threads, and not posts. Clearly, I have many more individual posts in which these words are uttered. Although some threads may have been "resurrected" at a later date, this number is probably minimal.

I determined there are 110 threads since I signed on in DEC 04 in which either term (the union of the two) comes up...a good sample, but a frightful number all the same. But what is more frightful is the frequency over time. As I said, I started my "active" period last September or so...before then, I only said either term three times. Here is the frequency since then:

Before SEP 05: 3
SEP 05-OCT 05: 2
NOV 05-DEC 05: 8
JAN 06-FEB 06: 14
MAR 06-APR 06: 18
MAY 06-JUN 06: 9 (slacked off a bit...but here is where it gets scary)
JUL 06-AUG 06: 21
SEP 06-OCT 06: 35
Total: 110

Many of these have multiple instances...and other times I just said "this generation" or "our generation", or discussed another generation like 'X' or 'Z', so I would suspect I mentioned something related to generations about 500 times. Also, keep in mind that I have not been posting as much as I did early this year, when I didn't fear the Corporate Big Brother watching over me during the day.

This is obsessive...and it has to stop. I am utterly amazed that no one PM'ed me and told me enough is enough, or at least said my theories are crackpot.

I just think it's time that I have to take a break...especially considering my mental state. I have to steer clear of anything related to Gen 'Y' for a while.

And this isn't a 12-hour hiatus like I did last 22 DEC. I already made a promise to myself that when we hit my favorite holiday...Election Day, or I hit the 5,000 milestone, I will take a week off. And that will likely be renewed...withdrawal is tough, but I have to do something.

Honestly, if I was permanent banned, it would hurt me for several days, but in the long run, I would thank you for it.

shimma
10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
This is obsessive...and it has to stop. I am utterly amazed that no one PM'ed me and told me enough is enough, or at least said my theories are crackpot.

Mark, your theories are not crackpot. I sincerely and honestly think that you are one of the more interesting, intelligent people I have met, and I personally think you should write a book.

yankeeyosh
10-30-2006, 10:21 PM
Mark, your theories are not crackpot. I sincerely and honestly think that you are one of the more interesting, intelligent people I have met, and I personally think you should write a book.

Thank you. :) The feeling is mutual (although I don't know what book you should write just yet...)

Fashionista
10-30-2006, 10:28 PM
I dont get it though, how can you be eligible for welfare if you havent paid taxes?!?
Welp I know I see the illegals everyday down at social services getting food stamps, medical, wic, etc and I find it amazing that they can get this stuff and not be a legal citizen.

shimma
10-30-2006, 10:29 PM
*happy music plays*

Thank you. :) The feeling is mutual (although I don't know what book you should write just yet...)

(((((MARK)))))

Let me know when you figure that out. In the meantime, I'm proud of you that you're being proactive to stop thinking about something that upsets you so much.

Fashionista
10-30-2006, 10:39 PM
As a Social Worker, I just want to throw in that the people who work in the welfare office, at least here in NYC and in Upstate NY are NOT Social Workers. They are just some random person who passed a test and then made it through a wait list saying they can assist people in filling out applications. They are not Social Workers, which probably explains their "nastiness". For the record, I despise going to these type of offices for that exact reason. I had a cousin once who worked in an office like this. He certainly was not a Social Worker, he barely had a Bachelor's and is the last person in the world who should be working with people. Sorry for the threadjack, but I feel the need to defend my profession ;). And you are right about the money not really being enough to live off. My clients on SSI here in NYC get about $666 a month. They are lucky because at least their housing is subsidized. But they still have to pay 1/3 of their income towards their rent.
I think now they are requiring people to have a BA or be working toward it, just like at the library system the people that have been working there for years are now being forced to go back to school and the new ones coming in the door need to have the proper education backing them before they land the job but I just find that regardless of whether these social workers have the proper education or not they seem to have comtempt for the people they work with nor do they understand anything about the situations surrounding them or the people they work with (like poverty, gentrification, mental health, race, ethnicity etc). How can you do social work and not have any concept of these ideas?

Then the good ones that do care and do their job correctly are basically ran into the ground and end up quiting because there is too much bad surrounding the profession.

Again I am only talking about where I live. My county has the worst rep for helping people that actually need help. Social workers from other countys loath calling here because the workers don't give a shit and it shows. Something is wrong when you can go to the social services building and overhear how the caseworkers talk about their clients like they are scum. Granted some people are lazy assholes and opportunitist, but again most people are not going to endure all the stress and embarrassment for $500 a month which isn't even going to cover rent or anything else.

Fashionista
10-30-2006, 10:47 PM
I can understand why you would think you are too good to work at low wage places like Mcdonalds BUT please believe that jumping on welfare is no "easy task" they people are going to ask you why you never tried McDonalds and they are gonna have a field day with the fact that you are educated and have a professional degree.

Also realize that if people who really need the resources have to go through hell to get it and are sometimes rejected then why would you be different?

winneythepooh7
10-31-2006, 07:32 AM
I think now they are requiring people to have a BA or be working toward it, just like at the library system the people that have been working there for years are now being forced to go back to school and the new ones coming in the door need to have the proper education backing them before they land the job but I just find that regardless of whether these social workers have the proper education or not they seem to have comtempt for the people they work with nor do they understand anything about the situations surrounding them or the people they work with (like poverty, gentrification, mental health, race, ethnicity etc). How can you do social work and not have any concept of these ideas?

Then the good ones that do care and do their job correctly are basically ran into the ground and end up quiting because there is too much bad surrounding the profession.

Again I am only talking about where I live. My county has the worst rep for helping people that actually need help. Social workers from other countys loath calling here because the workers don't give a shit and it shows. Something is wrong when you can go to the social services building and overhear how the caseworkers talk about their clients like they are scum. Granted some people are lazy assholes and opportunitist, but again most people are not going to endure all the stress and embarrassment for $500 a month which isn't even going to cover rent or anything else.

Again, a Caseworker is not necessarily a Social Worker. And just because you work in the human services field, does not mean that your heart is in the right place. I've said it before, and I will say it again: when I get stressed out and bitter at work, it's usually not because of the clients I work with, but the crazy wackadoo "professionals" I run across. I could, and may write a book one day about the madness that's in my profession. And this is exactly what gives my field a bad rep. And is my biggest pet peeve. You don't need a degree and years of experience in human services to have compassion, respect, patience and the ability to listen to what the people you are helping really need.

dostoy
10-31-2006, 09:27 AM
I can understand why you would think you are too good to work at low wage places like Mcdonalds BUT please believe that jumping on welfare is no "easy task" they people are going to ask you why you never tried McDonalds and they are gonna have a field day with the fact that you are educated and have a professional degree.

Also realize that if people who really need the resources have to go through hell to get it and are sometimes rejected then why would you be different?
I found it was pretty easy to get the food stamps, I had to wait in line with dirty people for an hour but whatever.

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 09:56 AM
That is really parasitic of you, if it's true.

J-girl
10-31-2006, 10:32 AM
I found it was pretty easy to get the food stamps, I had to wait in line with dirty people for an hour but whatever.
Kevin Federline?!?! Is this you?!?!

To the OP: If you have had a year getting experience abroad on an unpaid internship (which I believe is BS but whatever) why dont you just start off as a fresh immigrant. Many legal immigrants come here and strat from scratch WITH families and they seem to do okay within a few years.

WorkInProgress
10-31-2006, 10:33 AM
Oh dear. Too funny!

cache
10-31-2006, 10:51 AM
Ever get a blister that looks small but seems to stick around forever? And then you go to bed, certain that in the morning it will be gone, only to find it has new life all over again when you wake up?

red
10-31-2006, 11:01 AM
Welp I know I see the illegals everyday down at social services getting food stamps, medical, wic, etc and I find it amazing that they can get this stuff and not be a legal citizen.

do you know for sure they are illegal? do you work at social services?

spokes
10-31-2006, 12:37 PM
this post should be locked..........

dostoy
10-31-2006, 12:42 PM
this post should be locked..........
I think it should be stickied at the top.

winneythepooh7
10-31-2006, 12:56 PM

My thoughts, exactly. As a Social Worker who has been in this field since 1998 (probably when some of you were still in highschool), I can tell you that it is a FACT that you cannot get welfare or other "benefits" if you are an illegal immigrant.

spokes
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
I think it should be stickied at the top.

it is a shining expample of a banal situation followed by 9 pages of intense & heated discussion.

vxmike
10-31-2006, 01:55 PM
i don't consider myself 'too good' for waiting tables simply because i have a degree, and i don't think it's fair for anyone to have that attitude. the other women i work with are all professional waitresses who do it for a living, and they are awesome... intelligent, quick, tough... a lot of them never really had the luxury of even getting a degree

Just a thought...why is your degree a "luxury" if you're in the same place as these career waitresses? Seems like more of a burden to me.

Kids these days have the idea drilled into their heads from middle school onwards that a college degree is the solution to getting a good job and that you're basically a loser without one. This sounds great of course until they graduate and discover the truth...that half of them will end up working at starbucks and target alongside the career service workers. This is Dostoy's point -- the economy and the system have let them down, why not let the system help you out?

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 02:00 PM
I could care less if I work a journalism job for a fraction of what a skilled laborer with no degree makes. Getting my degree was definitely a luxury...the academic experience, going all over the world to get it, the time I got to spend with brilliant professors and classmates, just for the love of academia...total luxury. That was why I went to college. For the opportunities I got to take advantage of. I realize that it's a different mentality than "I have to get this degree to get this job, and that's why I'm doing it," and I realize that it's not a common mentality, i.e. schooling for the sake of knowledge, but that's why I personally did it and I have to say I have no regrets or complaints. It was fantastic.

vxmike
10-31-2006, 02:04 PM
My thoughts, exactly. As a Social Worker who has been in this field since 1998 (probably when some of you were still in highschool), I can tell you that it is a FACT that you cannot get welfare or other "benefits" if you are an illegal immigrant.

Maybe in your state but otherwise completely untrue. There are plenty of situations that enable illegals to obtain social benefits, but the most obvious is the "anchor baby" scenario. If an illegal has a child here in the US (child is a citizen) she is entitled to various benefits and cannot even be deported.

WorkInProgress
10-31-2006, 02:09 PM
Kids these days have the idea drilled into their heads from middle school onwards that a college degree is the solution to getting a good job and that you're basically a loser without one. This sounds great of course until they graduate and discover the truth...that half of them will end up working at starbucks and target alongside the career service workers. This is Dostoy's point -- the economy and the system have let them down, why not let the system help you out?

Why not? Because I work and pay taxes, and if they're paying for people who just don't feel like it rather than those who actually need help, then I want it back. It's ripping people off. That's why not.

spokes
10-31-2006, 02:11 PM

why do anything then, because the government will send you a cheque.

the reality is that sometimes post-secondary education will give you options with respect to working, however there is no silver bullet solution to finding and keeping a good job nor is there any guarantees with respect to finding/keeping a job.

vxmike
10-31-2006, 02:30 PM
Why not? Because I work and pay taxes, and if they're paying for people who just don't feel like it rather than those who actually need help, then I want it back. It's ripping people off. That's why not.

I agree. But guess what? We don't have an option to get our mis-used tax dollars back, so why not use the system to our advantage when we can? I'd love to stop paying those taxes in exchange for agreeing to never accept any government benefits, but that's not an option either.

It's not noble or anything to keep paying those taxes you know aren't being used properly, so why not take advantage if your situation allows it? Turnabout it fair play...

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 02:31 PM
Again, I smell parasites.

vxmike
10-31-2006, 02:32 PM
why do anything then, because the government will send you a cheque.

the reality is that sometimes post-secondary education will give you options with respect to working, however there is no silver bullet solution to finding and keeping a good job nor is there any guarantees with respect to finding/keeping a job.

Don't blame the people taking the free checks. Very few people would turn down free money if offered. Blame the people offering the free checks to undeserving people for ruining the system.

Point taken about options, but anyone can plainly see that the benefits and advantages of post-secondary education are grossly misadvertised to our youth.

embrassezla
10-31-2006, 02:32 PM
We don't have an option to get our mis-used tax dollars back, so why not use the system to our advantage when we can?
I know, right? I mean, I'm trying to lose weight and everything, but since I just ate a cookie, I might as well eat this ENTIRE CHEESECAKE since I'm already screwed in a much less consequential way.

WorkInProgress
10-31-2006, 02:35 PM
I agree. But guess what? We don't have an option to get our mis-used tax dollars back, so why not use the system to our advantage when we can? I'd love to stop paying those taxes in exchange for agreeing to never accept any government benefits, but that's not an option either.

It's not noble or anything to keep paying those taxes you know aren't being used properly, so why not take advantage if your situation allows it? Turnabout it fair play...

Because people who sponge are not taking advantage of the system--they're taking advantage of all the people who pay into it. That's why. If you can't see why that's so repugnant, I can't explain it to you.

WorkInProgress
10-31-2006, 02:38 PM
Don't blame the people taking the free checks. Very few people would turn down free money if offered. Blame the people offering the free checks to undeserving people for ruining the system.

So I'm supposed to blame those trying to help people actually in need, and not the person actively ripping off the taxpayers? Are you kidding me?

LaFille
10-31-2006, 02:39 PM
Just a thought...why is your degree a "luxury" if you're in the same place as these career waitresses? Seems like more of a burden to me.

it's a luxury because most of them never had the time or money to get a degree, or it just wasn't really emphasized as being important in their family. i got to spend four years studying something i love-- i consider that a luxury.

i also don't consider myself as being in the same place, as i am looking to get out of the business and they are most definitely not. i happen to live in an area that is falling economically, and also am looking for something that actually interests me, and i consider my time at the restaurant a good investment if it allows me the time to find such a job. while i hate waitressing, i am definitely not bitter towards 'the system' about having to do that. i'm happy i am at least working somewhere. i do think the system is flawed in that kids should be exposed to other options besides a 4 year degree when approaching graduation but frankly, i considered other options and still chose that route, and don't regret it. i really don't think you're helping anyone, including yourself, if you choose to exploit the 'system' that you think has let you down.

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 02:40 PM
[QUOTE=LaFille] i got to spend four years studying something i love-- i consider that a luxury.[QUOTE]

Hear, hear. Absolutely agree. I got to do something I WANTED to do. Total luxury.

dostoy
10-31-2006, 02:42 PM
I agree that if someone is sponging off the govt, taking welfare money because they are lazy, and they could easily get a job and earn that money, it is messed up.

LaFille
10-31-2006, 02:46 PM
I agree that if someone is sponging off the govt, taking welfare money because they are lazy, and they could easily get a job and earn that money, it is messed up.
so how do you ditinguish between someone who is lazy and someone who is just bitter towards the system?

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 02:48 PM
Seriously, what's the difference between being too lazy to get a job, and choosing not to just to be a jackass? It makes no difference, you're still a parasite if you have no valid reason not to be a contributing member of society.

LaFille
10-31-2006, 02:54 PM
honestly, i can't imagine just choosing not to work. before i went back to the restaurant and after i moved back here, i wasn't working except for looking for jobs and i was MISERABLE. i was jealous of every living creature with a job... from my own father to the checkout girl at the grocery store. not only because they had an income, but because they had something to do every day! i complain and bitch about work, but i'd so much rather be there than sitting at home watching oprah.

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 02:55 PM
Word. I actually like what I do.

WorkInProgress
10-31-2006, 03:01 PM
honestly, i can't imagine just choosing not to work. before i went back to the restaurant and after i moved back here, i wasn't working except for looking for jobs and i was MISERABLE. i was jealous of every living creature with a job... from my own father to the checkout girl at the grocery store. not only because they had an income, but because they had something to do every day! i complain and bitch about work, but i'd so much rather be there than sitting at home watching oprah.

That's how I felt when I was unemployed.

dostoy
10-31-2006, 03:28 PM
I think people are assuming that everyone who is on welfare doesn't want to work, I think that is a very tiny minority. So a few people abuse the system, not a reason to throw it out and leave people to starve on the streets. The sad fact is that there just is not enough decent paying jobs for everyone that wants one.

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Nobody's assuming that. Most of us are assuming that there are valid reasons some people need public aid to survive, but that the OP and subesequent posters who have outright stated that they DESERVE public aid (not need it to survive, just would prefer to get it to working, and figure that the Man owes it to them) do NOT have valid reasons.

dostoy
10-31-2006, 03:40 PM
Nobody's assuming that. Most of us are assuming that there are valid reasons some people need public aid to survive, but that the OP and subesequent posters who have outright stated that they DESERVE public aid (not need it to survive, just would prefer to get it to working, and figure that the Man owes it to them) do NOT have valid reasons.
The OP stated that he can't find a job, he wants to work but can't, same with me when I was on food stamps, I even had a job but it was min. wage and I couldn't live so it was nice to have help with a necessity such as food, at the same time I was constantly looking for a better job which I now have, this was all last year. Soon as I started making more money I informed my social worker I no longer needed food stamps. Maybe the OP is a slack ass loser but I think you are assuming too much here.

J-girl
10-31-2006, 03:47 PM
The OP stated that he can't find a job, he wants to work but can't, same with me when I was on food stamps, I even had a job but it was min. wage and I couldn't live so it was nice to have help with a necessity such as food, at the same time I was constantly looking for a better job which I now have, this was all last year. Soon as I started making more money I informed my social worker I no longer needed food stamps. Maybe the OP is a slack ass loser but I think you are assuming too much here.
no you are assuming too much. No one is saying people shouldnt get help from the Government but a YOUNG MAN asking for Government hand outs just becasue he thinks he is too good for fast food joints is a little too much.

There are soo many young kids who could never go on exchange because they couldnt afford it should they be asking for Government hand outs as well?

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 03:49 PM

No, the OP stated that s/he can't find a job in his/her first pick field. That's not wanting to work but can't, it's being in a situation where you have to find a plan b. The poster stated that going on welfare was preferable to finding work in an area not related to library science, and that s/he "probably wouldn't be able to get a job" such as retail. If you say you'd go on public aid rather than take a job in a store...hmmmm. You, in turn, were the one stating that you were too good for a minimum wage job such as McDonald's. You, even more than the person who originally posted, are the type of person who is being derided by most of us.

dostoy
10-31-2006, 03:57 PM
While I was on food stamps it's people's opinions like yours, which are just plain wrong that hurt so much. I guess there is no way to make you understand, but I tried.

meatwad
10-31-2006, 03:59 PM
While I was on food stamps it's people's opinions like yours, which are just plain wrong that hurt so much. I guess there is no way to make you understand, but I tried.

Boo hoo hoo.

spokes
10-31-2006, 03:59 PM
just to refresh everyone memory here is the OP - I think that a lot of 15 year olds could pick out the obvious road blocks and obvious solutions to this persons problem - the most obvious to me is that as a librarian i would assume that you would be trained in how to ferret out information from various sources but yet they come to a bulletain board to try and find out about each states welfare benefits.

in my opinion the OP needs a shot of common sense and a copy of the career/help wanted section from last weekends newspaper - but what the hell do i know as i sit in my office.

LaFille
10-31-2006, 04:01 PM
I think people are assuming that everyone who is on welfare doesn't want to work, I think that is a very tiny minority. So a few people abuse the system, not a reason to throw it out and leave people to starve on the streets. The sad fact is that there just is not enough decent paying jobs for everyone that wants one.
on the contrary, i think that people who go on welfare simply because they don't want the work trivialize the necessity of welfare for those who actually need it.

cache
10-31-2006, 04:03 PM

Want some better perspective than peers? Go talk to a WWII veteran and tell that person about your desire to take welfare, and the circumstances surrounding your food stamps. See if s/he sympathizes...

dostoy
10-31-2006, 04:05 PM
I think the OP may have mental problems, that is another consideration, I'd rather have him waste some of my taxes than he takes his frustrations out on a school of amish kids.

J-girl
10-31-2006, 04:06 PM
on the contrary, i think that people who go on welfare simply because they don't want the work trivialize the necessity of welfare for those who actually need it.
AMEN!!!!
Its people who abuse welfare that bother me NOT the welfare programs themselves. I mean if young able people are on welfare tham obviously the help going to those who are diasbled or single poor mothers etc is slimmed down significantly.

shimma
10-31-2006, 04:07 PM
I think the OP may have mental problems, that is another consideration, I'd rather have him waste some of my taxes than he takes his frustrations out on a school of amish kids.

He's not entitled to handouts, and he's not entitled to kill Amish kids either.

Fashionista
10-31-2006, 04:12 PM
if i didn't know for a fact i wouldn't have said anything.

spokes
10-31-2006, 04:15 PM

good grief that is quite a leap - are you not at all concerned that perhaps the op has acquired 17 lbs of plutonium as well?

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 04:17 PM

Why would I understand ANYthing coming from you, when among your first posts were the the words, "I'm too good for a job like that."

If you are refusing work, you are ABUSING WELFARE. Case closed. No respect.

red
10-31-2006, 04:34 PM
if i didn't know for a fact i wouldn't have said anything.

so how do you know this info?

i ask because my experience (as winney mentioned is the case in NY) is radically different. is there really that much difference from state to state?

for the record, all of my family and friends are legal (either citizens or w/green cards) but the system isn't easy to navigate even when do you have papers.

Fashionista
10-31-2006, 07:29 PM
so how do you know this info?

i ask because my experience (as winney mentioned is the case in NY) is radically different. is there really that much difference from state to state?

for the record, all of my family and friends are legal (either citizens or w/green cards) but the system isn't easy to navigate even when do you have papers.
Does it really matter? I don't want to turn this thread into something about immigrants and now in hindsight I really shouldn't have even bother saying anything.

Fashionista
10-31-2006, 07:37 PM
dostoy I think people are having problems sympathizing with you because right off the bat you post like you are looking for the best welfare benefits the same way a poster would post about health insurance or the best place to find work. Then you state

but I could go anywhere and want to hear your stories about welfare in your state.

Which implies that you have the measn to relocate but only want to use it so that you can get the best benefits. Then later on in the thread you say that you are too "good" to work at certain jobs.

How can people here really entertain you in your sorrow? Your talking to people that have worked bullshit jobs, struggled, went without and so on and they never even thought about taking benefits.

There is a difference between really needing the benefits and just being too picky to take ANY job to sustain yourself, which to me is just wrong. Plenty of people have worked jobs to support themselves until they found something better. What I find interesting is your take on why you should get the benefits.

yankeeyosh
10-31-2006, 07:40 PM
Want some better perspective than peers? Go talk to a WWII veteran and tell that person about your desire to take welfare, and the circumstances surrounding your food stamps. See if s/he sympathizes...

****APPLAUSE****

Thank you for bringing up the GI Generation, which went through more turmoil and more strife than any generation. If you EVER EVER talk to someone born in Generations 'S' and 'T'...between 1905 and 1927 (or even until 1940) in that fashion...say "eh, I'll go on welfare because this job is too good for me", your face will be slapped to kingdom come.

Welfare was NEVER EVER meant for this. I am a liberal when it comes to social programs...and I am in support of welfare. However, I adamantly oppose people entering this program because they can't find a great job. You think I have a great job? I hate it with a passion. I got a few bad breaks in the last few years when it comes to the job market. So by your theory, I should go on welfare. Hell, let's all quit our paper pushing jobs and go on welfare! Let's see what that will do the the economy.

Not everyone loves what they do. People could rectify the situation so that they can do something they have a passion for. But going on welfare until that happens is not the answer.

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 07:41 PM
To be fair, fashionista, that was posted by "upopular," the OP on the thread.

dostoy's first post, on the other hand, included these gems: "...And I could have forgone assistance and worked at mcdonalds, but in all honesty I'm too good for that. And if this guy has a masters he's too good for that too. The govt ruined the economy and that's why it's so hard to get good jobs, so the govt should have to pay assistance to it's people, the only thing is that the burden of taxes should be shifted more to the rich, because fuck them."

But other than that, you are right. Aid exists for people who legitimately need help, not people who don't feel like working a given job because they figure it's beneath them. People in the latter camp abuse assistance programs and create a bad rap for the people for whom the aid was originally intended. Ask for aid if you CAN'T find work, period. Not if you just can't find work that's your particular cup of tea.

yankeeyosh
10-31-2006, 07:56 PM
To be fair, fashionista, that was posted by "upopular," the OP on the thread.

dostoy's first post, on the other hand, included these gems: "...And I could have forgone assistance and worked at mcdonalds, but in all honesty I'm too good for that. And if this guy has a masters he's too good for that too. The govt ruined the economy and that's why it's so hard to get good jobs, so the govt should have to pay assistance to it's people, the only thing is that the burden of taxes should be shifted more to the rich, because fuck them."

But other than that, you are right. Aid exists for people who legitimately need help, not people who don't feel like working a given job because they figure it's beneath them. People in the latter camp abuse assistance programs and create a bad rap for the people for whom the aid was originally intended. Ask for aid if you CAN'T find work, period. Not if you just can't find work that's your particular cup of tea.

Right.

Do you know who needs help? Single abused mothers. Families that were devastated by disability or death. People who by no fault of their own, were stuck in economically depressed areas. Those who, probably due to racist policies in past decades, were unable to get an education.

NOT someone who doesn't thinks they're too good to make McBurgers.

winneythepooh7
10-31-2006, 08:10 PM
Does it really matter? I don't want to turn this thread into something about immigrants and now in hindsight I really shouldn't have even bother saying anything.

I think it does matter, because it's a common misconception by most of the American public. Not only that but you lumped many of the wretched people who work for local county social service offices into the same category as Social Workers--another misconception. Don't forget I am from your area, so I have common knowledge of how people get their jobs for those offices. And the majority of them have not completed a specialized Master's program in Social Work. For the record as well, if you are granted citizenship in the U.S., you are entitled to benefits. From the cases I've seen (and keep in mind, I've been doing this for a very long time), these are people who legitimately need the help (ie. due to mental illness or health/medical reasons). It's not easy for them to get the benefits either, and could often take years. I am dealing with a case right now where the guy came over as a tourist, went to LA to visit Hollywood and was brutally attacked. His case has been tied up since 2000 trying to get him assistance. Many human service agencies have some funding to assist people in situations like these because there's not a whole lot out there to help them. It's not like it's that easy to ship someone with a severe disability out of the country :googly: :googly:

Fashionista
10-31-2006, 08:26 PM
I think it does matter, because it's a common misconception by most of the American public. Not only that but you lumped many of the wretched people who work for local county social service offices into the same category as Social Workers--another misconception. Don't forget I am from your area, so I have common knowledge of how people get their jobs for those offices. And the majority of them have not completed a specialized Master's program in Social Work. For the record as well, if you are granted citizenship in the U.S., you are entitled to benefits. From the cases I've seen (and keep in mind, I've been doing this for a very long time), these are people who legitimately need the help (ie. due to mental illness or health/medical reasons). It's not easy for them to get the benefits either, and could often take years. I am dealing with a case right now where the guy came over as a tourist, went to LA to visit Hollywood and was brutally attacked. His case has been tied up since 2000 trying to get him assistance. Many human service agencies have some funding to assist people in situations like these because there's not a whole lot out there to help them. It's not like it's that easy to ship someone with a severe disability out of the country :googly: :googly:
If you were somehow offended about me "confusing" social workers and case workers then say so. All I was trying to say is that a lot of these people who work at social services and related services are social workers and some do have the education behind them and still treat the community they work for like shit. Not all educated people are sympathetic toward they people they work for. This is stuff i've seen first hand, not something I am "confusing." If you want examples of my experience then ask I will be more than happy to tell you, but just because I am not posting names, dates, locations doesn't mean my experience is less valid or doesn't exist. Its clear that you care about the people you work for which is wonderful, but please realize that many people don't. The same goes for numerous other professions.

I wasn't trying to trump my knowledge of the area over yours or your profession.

Lastly, I am well aware that you need to be a US citizen to get benefits and that many people who need them do not get them. I know a few people with mental and physical disabilities and cannot keep a job but keep getting denied disability. Hell, I am sure most of the board knows someone who needs they help but cannot get it

Last about the illegal family receiving benefits I declined to say anything because I realize that more people than you who live(d) in my area lurk/post here and the info was not supposed to be dispensed to me. With knowing that the net makes the whole world a lot smaller I see nothing wrong with saying nothing. I already stated that I should not have said anything to begin with. If you feel that my comments are based on "ignorance" or is just plain wrong,then thats fine.

Fashionista
10-31-2006, 08:28 PM
****APPLAUSE****

Thank you for bringing up the GI Generation, which went through more turmoil and more strife than any generation. If you EVER EVER talk to someone born in Generations 'S' and 'T'...between 1905 and 1927 (or even until 1940) in that fashion...say "eh, I'll go on welfare because this job is too good for me", your face will be slapped to kingdom come.

Welfare was NEVER EVER meant for this. I am a liberal when it comes to social programs...and I am in support of welfare. However, I adamantly oppose people entering this program because they can't find a great job. You think I have a great job? I hate it with a passion. I got a few bad breaks in the last few years when it comes to the job market. So by your theory, I should go on welfare. Hell, let's all quit our paper pushing jobs and go on welfare! Let's see what that will do the the economy.

Not everyone loves what they do. People could rectify the situation so that they can do something they have a passion for. But going on welfare until that happens is not the answer.

Ditto. My Grandpa is 90yrs old and I can only imagine telling him I am on welfare because I won't flip a burger because I am college educated. He'd disown me on the spot.

winneythepooh7
10-31-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm not offended, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Also, it's really hard and frustrating as a Social Worker trying to provide services to people who are illegal (or recently given citizenship), don't speak the language, are probably misdiagnosed, etc. etc. due to the cultural stuff. More often then not, most of these people don't even WANT the services, and we have to force ourselves upon them for a bunch of different reasons (mostly boiling down to bureacracy).

wordsmith
10-31-2006, 08:38 PM
Seriously. My younger brother is college educated, and will continue to work as a roofer until he can get on full time at a newspaper like he'd prefer. I guess somebody should have told him that because he has a degree and there aren't any local papers hiring right now, he should just collect a goverment check rather than sling shingles.

Fashionista
10-31-2006, 09:29 PM
I'm not offended, it's just a pet peeve of mine. Also, it's really hard and frustrating as a Social Worker trying to provide services to people who are illegal (or recently given citizenship), don't speak the language, are probably misdiagnosed, etc. etc. due to the cultural stuff. More often then not, most of these people don't even WANT the services, and we have to force ourselves upon them for a bunch of different reasons (mostly boiling down to bureacracy).
And I totally understand the cuture issue and your pet peeve but at the same token I feel that you were trying to imply I didn't know what I was talking about because I do not work in the same field as you.