PDA

View Full Version : Ever Moved Far Away?

KCboy
11-02-2006, 12:31 PM
I really need a change in my life. I'm so depressed, and this town just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I've always wanted to move to the Pacific Northwest, Portland or Vancouver.

But I have no reason to go there - no job, family, or friends.

Anyone ever done anything like this? Moved for no reason other than to shake up your life?

I have a friend that moved to KC from Arkansas, and she said it was one of the best things she has ever done. Just seems like a big step, what if it's a mistake?

wordsmith
11-02-2006, 12:32 PM
I specifically chose large-scale move at 18 when picking colleges. So I wouldn't say it was "just because," because there was a plan, but I could easily have gone close to home, and actively chose not to.

J-girl
11-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Just think of it this way how worst can it get if you are already depressed and fed up with where you live.

(Not that I have ever moved that far away)

cache
11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
When I moved I had no job, no friends, and no family in the place that I moved to. But I am confident at my own abilities to make everything work, so it was no big deal for me.

SmilesSoSweet
11-02-2006, 12:51 PM
Just know that just because you move away to a brand new place, the depression and stuff will most likely follow you.

But a move to a new city may just help you to get out of the depression as well.

When I move to AZ from CA, it was great. The best decision I've ever made for myself. Other than a cousin-in-law that lives a good hour away, I didn't know anyone else that lived out here when I moved. I also had a job lined up that paid for my relocation as well.

At the time I moved, I thought my depression was gone (and I know that depression never really goes away) so I was fine for about 9 months or so. Then it all hit me.

But now I'm doing much better. I'm getting back into shape. I'm going to therapy and I'm on meds. And I love living out here! No regrets.

hellboy
11-02-2006, 01:36 PM
If you want to move to beat depression, dont. It may get messy.
Take a vacation to beat the boredom or go to the local SPCA.
Good luck!

Chameleon
11-02-2006, 02:07 PM
My move to college was large but I didn't exactly pack up and go there without any support or plan. I had family friends in the area and financial support. Do you have enough money saved to keep you out of the red for 6 months or whatever worst case scenario for how long it would take you to find a job? Enough to cover food, transportation, housing and networking expenses? Will you have a way to get back home if it doesn't work out? Do you have a friend or a relative you can crash with for a couple of weeks while you find a more permanent place?

I'm sure lots of people have done this alone before and survived. It would be easier if you had some support system when you get to your new location. You don't have anything tying you to your current location, right? No car note, baby mama drama, mortgage? (I can't believe I just typed "baby mama drama" :rolleyes: ). Go try something different!

wordsmith
11-02-2006, 02:09 PM
Moving without a plan is generally a dumb move unless you have a financial safety net.

KCboy
11-02-2006, 02:15 PM
If you want to move to beat depression, dont. It may get messy.

maybe depressed is a bit strong; miserable.

and it's due to my city. too family oriented and conservative.

no night-life, no women, nothing to do except eat and sleep and raise packs of little children and go to church. ugh.

wordsmith
11-02-2006, 02:18 PM
You're in Kansas City? Man, you should live in a place where there actually IS no nightlife and nothing to do.

KCboy
11-02-2006, 02:50 PM
You're in Kansas City? Man, you should live in a place where there actually IS no nightlife and nothing to do.

there's somewhat of a nightlife, but it sucks.

the city is so spread out, so you can't go anywhere withour risking a DUI or paying $60 for a cab.

all the bars are the same, and there are virtually no clubs.

and besides Friday and Sat, the city shuts down at 10pm.

people are too uptight, it's all about the children and jesus

wordsmith
11-02-2006, 05:47 PM
True, making the move for me was actually extremely hard and initially depressing. It's NOT easy, it IS lonely, and it IS intimidating.

Worth doing, though.

yankeeyosh
11-02-2006, 07:17 PM
Several times. The first time was down to Florida for grad school. Then it was Connecticut...after moving back home to N.Y. for a while, I moved to boston. I suspect I will have to move again if I want another job since there are slim pickings.

AshleyJordan
11-02-2006, 07:18 PM
From Maine to New York (8 hours' drive), considered moving to the West Coast, but can't see myself living anywhere where I need a car, meaning I'm stuck in, well, New York :googly:

vivo
11-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Several times. The first time was down to Florida for grad school. Then it was Connecticut...after moving back home to N.Y. for a while, I moved to boston. I suspect I will have to move again if I want another job since there are slim pickings.

come down to the dc area.

Irish79
11-02-2006, 08:44 PM
Yep, I moved from the Pacific Northwest to NC and I'm really glad that I did. This is not to say that I want to live here permanently, I definitely want to return home someday to live, but I really wanted to get out and see other parts of the country, to travel and live on my own for awhile. I was miserable at home, mostly because I had lived in the same state all my life I guess.

I think you should go for it - just know that it does take time to adjust - especially to cultural differences, but that can be fun in itself. And if you need any info on Portland and surrounding areas, let me know. :)

yankeeyosh
11-02-2006, 09:15 PM
come down to the dc area.

I like the DC/Balto. area actually...but the problem is that there might not be any jobs for someone with my "weird" background.

dengeist
11-03-2006, 08:34 AM
I moved to AZ from NJ. No, not a city like Tucson or Pheonix, a little one horse town. I'd always wanted to live in the southwest and I'm a country boy at heart.....somewhat. But the town was too small and the city was too far away for my liking, two hours away from Pheonix and an hour and a half from Tucson. That's when I realized I was a little bit rock and roll too and that I needed to be near a city. So my stay was only nine months and I moved back to NJ.

If I had a family I probably would've stayed. Sometimes change is good.

SmilesSoSweet
11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
I don't think I could live the "small town" life. To me, Phoenix is a small town compared to growing up in Southern California.

The really good thing that I've found to be a positive of my moving here is because of the distance, I am now much closer to my family. My sister lives in Oregon and my parents and brother and his wife live in Southern California.

wordsmith
11-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Phoenix is in the top ten cities in the nation, population-wise.

Edit - just looked it up, it's ranked sixth, behind NYC, L.A., Chicago, Houston, and Philadelphia. So no matter how small town it might feel, it's a major city, not a small town.

SmilesSoSweet
11-03-2006, 10:59 AM
Phoenix is in the top ten cities in the nation, population-wise.

Edit - just looked it up, it's ranked sixth, behind NYC, L.A., Chicago, Houston, and Philadelphia. So no matter how small town it might feel, it's a major city, not a small town.

I know that it's not a small town. I'm just saying from growing up in the LA area, I feel that Phoenix is a small town. It's as small town as I'm going to get.

You hear people here complain about traffic, smog, too many people and I just laugh because I know places where it can be a lot worse.

CTGirl
11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
The North East is way more fun than the North West :huge:

If you're looking for a fun place with lots of nightlife, it seems to me that the northwest is not really the place to go. It's gorgeous out there, dont get me wrong, but I prefer to keep it to traveling there, not living there, myself.

KCboy
11-03-2006, 03:40 PM
The North East is way more fun than the North West :huge:

If you're looking for a fun place with lots of nightlife, it seems to me that the northwest is not really the place to go. It's gorgeous out there, dont get me wrong, but I prefer to keep it to traveling there, not living there, myself.

I think the NW has similar ideals, political views, etc.

people in the NE seem stuck in the NE, like it's the center of the world and the rest of the country doesn't exist.

CTGirl
11-03-2006, 03:47 PM
I think the NW has similar ideals, political views, etc.

people in the NE seem stuck in the NE, like it's the center of the world and the rest of the country doesn't exist.

Sigh, well yes, we are a bit full of ourselves here, but to a certain extent, I feel we have good reason - the northeast is a great place to be :razz:

Seriously though, it's all a personal perference, depends what type of culture you like, and if you prefer the northwest, then go for it. I love the culturally diverse, fast-paced, modern culture of this area myself, but it's not for everyone.

cache
11-03-2006, 04:04 PM
Sigh, well yes, we are a bit full of ourselves here, but to a certain extent, I feel we have good reason - the northeast is a great place to be :razz:

Everything is always second best to CA. :razz:

canela
11-20-2006, 02:23 PM
Stirring up an old thread, but I just couldn't help myself on this one, so please forgive!

I moved from Boston to Knoxville, TN and then again to the boondocks an hour south of Dallas, TX. Like has been said, it can help you get out of a funk (like it did for me when I left Boston), or make it worse (my life recently since landing in the middle of nowhere).

Sigh, well yes, we are a bit full of ourselves here, but to a certain extent, I feel we have good reason - the northeast is a great place to be

My best friend is still hell bent on me moving back to Boston with the same theory ;):

vxmike
11-20-2006, 05:07 PM
Moving without a plan is generally a dumb move unless you have a financial safety net.

Agreed. I've up and moved far away several times, but I've always had adequate financial resources at the time.

inmediasres
11-20-2006, 08:44 PM
I moved from Seattle to Boston last year, and while I love my native Northwest, I do not think I will be moving back anytime soon. Maybe when I retire?

I'll likely spend most of my life in the North, be it the Northeast or the Upper Midwest, or Canada. I just don't like the South very much. I am a northerner and this is my home.

shedevilone
11-20-2006, 09:00 PM
I'd love to pick up and move but how do you do that without a financial plan? I wouldn't know where to begin (I'm sheltered...bear with me)

vxmike
11-20-2006, 09:04 PM
I'd love to pick up and move but how do you do that without a financial plan? I wouldn't know where to begin (I'm sheltered...bear with me)

If you're smart...you don't. I recommend having several months' worth of cash reserves saved before making a move like this.

shedevilone
11-20-2006, 10:58 PM
yeah one would think