PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii OR PS3? Or neither?

HereComes30
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
There is pretty big craze about PS3 and the new Nintendo Wii. I watched a video at Target on the Wii last night and it looks like a ton of fun and some exercise too. I have been watching them on ebay since they are sold out in stores (and since I am an ebay junkie).

Curious if anyone has already bought one...did you keep it or resell it? Plan to buy one? Sticking with what you already have? Or have no interest.

Also curious what you like or dislike about the new systems.

paiger81
11-21-2006, 04:13 PM
I am SOOOOO NOT a gamer, but I completely want a Wii, for the price it can't be beat & the fact that it's semi-interactive just seems genius to me!

Trillian42
11-21-2006, 04:31 PM
I'm sticking with my existing system, which is an NES! I get it out a couple times a year when my 10 year old nephew is over. It's great, so simple I can actually beat him at a few games! :D

wordsmith
11-21-2006, 04:33 PM
I'm pretty sure I haven't touched a game controller since about 1990.

Winter Storm
11-21-2006, 04:38 PM
I'm sticking with my existing system, the ol' PC. I don't even have time to play these days. :rolleyes:

SpaceMonkey
11-21-2006, 04:42 PM
Xbox 360

SmilesSoSweet
11-21-2006, 04:43 PM
I haven't owned any video game systems since my family owned the first Nintendo system. (I was the best at Tetris and Dr. Mario! and I still know the code for Contra)

In college I probably played a few video games from those that brought their gaming systems to the dorms.

Right now I don't want to own one because I know I'd just sit my ass in front of it and play all day. I already have my computer and internet that I'm addicted to.

I wouldn't even know how to use any of the new controllers!

Winter Storm
11-21-2006, 04:45 PM
Xbox 360

Yeah and my dude has an Xbox 360 so I can just play with his toys. ;):

wordsmith
11-21-2006, 04:52 PM
I haven't owned any video game systems since my family owned the first Nintendo system. (I was the best at Tetris and Dr. Mario! and I still know the code for Contra)

In college I probably played a few video games from those that brought their gaming systems to the dorms.

Right now I don't want to own one because I know I'd just sit my ass in front of it and play all day. I already have my computer and internet that I'm addicted to.

I wouldn't even know how to use any of the new controllers!

yeah, this is me...I only ever played Tetris and the Super Mario Bros. games. And Duck Hunt. Hahahah.

Kitty
11-21-2006, 05:02 PM
We have an Xbox and a super nintendo.

WorkInProgress
11-21-2006, 05:06 PM
yeah, this is me...I only ever played Tetris and the Super Mario Bros. games. And Duck Hunt. Hahahah.

Yeah me too. I've, uh, never owned a video game.

wordsmith
11-21-2006, 05:13 PM
My brothers had the original NES; against my parents' wishes, my grandma got it for them. Sometimes I got to play. My parents would take away the controllers as disciplinary tactics.

SmilesSoSweet
11-21-2006, 05:15 PM
My mom was addicted to our NES system. She would sneak into my brother's room early on a Saturday morning, have the volume on mute and play Tetris. Even during the school week we had to remind her that she couldn't play NES because we weren't allowed to play NES during the school week.

WorkInProgress
11-21-2006, 05:18 PM
My brothers had the original NES; against my parents' wishes, my grandma got it for them. Sometimes I got to play. My parents would take away the controllers as disciplinary tactics.

Yep. My parents were anti-video game. If we'd had one, they would have done the same thing, discipline-wise.

We did get a couple games for our first PC (Tetris, Carmen Sandiego, Mah-Jongg), but it's not really the same thing.

Kitty
11-21-2006, 05:20 PM
My mom HATES video games. She absolutely HATED nintendo when we got it.

I was a total geek and would get pissed when I didn't beat the level or the bowser or whatever..and she'd get so upset at me getting upset that she'd threaten to take it away.

One day I came home from school and it was gone. She said she gave it to Goodwill.

old_school_soul
11-21-2006, 05:22 PM
Holy threadjack people.

I got a Wii on Sunday. I love it. Makes me excited to play video games again. No PS3 for me or the conceivable future, maybe when it gets down to $200. I don't buy any Microsoft products, so a Xbox is out of the question.

wordsmith
11-21-2006, 05:24 PM
My mom HATES video games. She absolutely HATED nintendo when we got it.

I was a total geek and would get pissed when I didn't beat the level or the bowser or whatever..and she'd get so upset at me getting upset that she'd threaten to take it away.

One day I came home from school and it was gone. She said she gave it to Goodwill.

Mine despised it, but didn't want to offend my grandma, who'd been the gift giver. I dunno. If my mom went and bought my kids something I was known to be philosophically opposed to, you'd better believe it would have been addressed. I have a very diff. dynamic with my mom than my mom does with hers, though. And my mom would never DO that, either.

It's not a threadjack. One of the vote options was "I don't care about video games."

Kitty
11-21-2006, 05:26 PM
How is this a threadjack? We're talking ABOUT video game systems.

paiger81
11-21-2006, 05:35 PM
My parents bought a Nintendo (mid-80's) because my brother's therapist felt it would help him to develop hand-eye coordination. I would play Tetris, but never was sucked into the thing.

I haven't had a gaming system since playing Tetris, but my brother has owned damn near every gaming system there is.

Which is why I find it soooo bizarre that I'm attracted to the Wii

meatwad
11-21-2006, 05:40 PM
I ruled at Tetris. I'll take on all comers!

SmilesSoSweet
11-21-2006, 05:41 PM
I ruled at Tetris. I'll take on all comers!

I'll take that challenge! hehehe

WorkInProgress
11-21-2006, 05:44 PM
I used to rule at Tetris. I tried playing again recently and totally sucked at it. I'm still pretty good at computer Mah Jongg.

old_school_soul
11-21-2006, 05:52 PM
How is this a threadjack? We're talking ABOUT video game systems.

Ummm.. Perhaps because the person that started the thread stated:

"There is pretty big craze about PS3 and the new Nintendo Wii. I watched a video at Target on the Wii last night and it looks like a ton of fun and some exercise too. I have been watching them on ebay since they are sold out in stores (and since I am an ebay junkie).

Curious if anyone has already bought one...did you keep it or resell it? Plan to buy one? Sticking with what you already have? Or have no interest.

Also curious what you like or dislike about the new systems."

Kitty
11-21-2006, 05:54 PM
Ummm.. Perhaps because the person that started the thread stated:

"There is pretty big craze about PS3 and the new Nintendo Wii. I watched a video at Target on the Wii last night and it looks like a ton of fun and some exercise too. I have been watching them on ebay since they are sold out in stores (and since I am an ebay junkie).

Since when have threads been confined to reponses that only very specifically address the original post?

paiger81
11-21-2006, 05:55 PM

Stating your views on gaming systems on the whole, IS related to liking or disliking of new systems, IMO.

old_school_soul
11-21-2006, 05:57 PM
I think the Wii is the first console since the NES to actually do something different.. Trying to make video games more fun, instead of just updated graphics of the same shit I've been playing since Wolfenstein 3D.

It's really the controller that puts you into a game. Graphics can get better and better, but no one is paying attention to immersion through the controller like Nintendo. Microsoft and Sony are really competing against each other, and in the result haven't come up with anything innovative.

old_school_soul
11-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Since when have threads been confined to reponses that only very specifically address the original post?

I never said they have, I'm just calling a threadjack. Take a chill pill. I'm not saying I don't do it, I'm just calling it what it is.

Kitty
11-21-2006, 06:00 PM
I never said they have, I'm just calling a threadjack. Take a chill pill. I'm not saying I don't do it, I'm just calling it what it is.
Okay, thanks for that observation.

wordsmith
11-21-2006, 06:02 PM
I guess he should remove the last choice on the poll, or add a disclaimer that people who anwer that way (i.e. most poll respondents) not participate on the thread.

EmberMae
11-21-2006, 06:23 PM
My fiance loves Nintendo. He is very interested in the Wii (I had to DRAG him away from the display at Target), but we agreed that we don't have the money to buy a whole new system at this point, and the full price games, and for now we will stick with PC games and GameCube, which have plenty of fun games, so I don't see the point of buying another console. I'm pretty easy to please when it comes to games, the cheaper the better.

Lara Kittie
11-21-2006, 06:36 PM
DEFININANTELY WII!!!!!! Come on, the price of a PS3 is ridiculous, how do they expect people to be able to afford the system, then the extra controllers, wire adaptors, and games? The Wii is about 250$ and it plays AMAZING! It's so much fun and (depending on the game) is completely accurate with the wireless nunchuk. It's an awesme system and I highly recommend it to anyone considering an upgrade.

spokes
11-21-2006, 06:42 PM
for the price of PS3 you also get a blu-ray DVD player - just saying....

anyways from what i read PS3 is the last gaming system we will ever need (until PS4 is marketed in a limited supply so that every news outlet will run a staory and people will get caught up in the hype......)

i was toying with aksing for an X-box for christmas.......i have become very bored of playing video pong and can now easily beat the machine.

meatwad
11-21-2006, 06:44 PM
I'll take that challenge! hehehe

Anytime. I look for a site that lets you play against each other. :D

Winter Storm
11-21-2006, 06:47 PM

Shit! I want in on that!

SmilesSoSweet
11-21-2006, 06:52 PM

Sweet! Send me the link as soon as you find it. Though I wouldn't be able to play at work.

HereComes30
11-21-2006, 06:57 PM
I got a Wii on Sunday. I love it. Makes me excited to play video games again.

How is the game play? The video at Target makes it look like this is something that you and your friends could play for hours and have an absolute blast. I hope to have one before New Years to play with friends on New Year's Eve. Any insights?

I also like the fact that you can play your old Gamecube games on Wii and download in the future games from the original NES, Sega Genesis, etc. Man do I want to play mario again! And Tecmo Football!

meatwad
11-21-2006, 06:57 PM
Sweet! Send me the link as soon as you find it. Though I wouldn't be able to play at work.

Yeah. Me neither. If you go to www.w00tradio.net and play in the arcade you can try to beat my high score though. My name is Buzz on there.

and1grad
11-21-2006, 07:05 PM
for the price of PS3 you also get a blu-ray DVD player - just saying....
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but if you're not, blu-ray isn't a good reason to buy the PS3. As of right now, you still can't be sure if that'll be the emergent technology for DVDs.

Anyway, I put no interest b/c I just don't enjoy video games like I used to and wind up completely bored with em by the time I've finally mastered the buttons. Its kinda disappointing since I used to really get into it.

meatwad
11-21-2006, 07:11 PM
Shit! I want in on that!

You can be in too then. :D

biodork
11-21-2006, 07:36 PM
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! :)

As you can probably tell, I got a Wii and am SO happy with my purchase. I started off with Zelda, and damn is it easy and fun to play. I do a slashing motion, and Link's sword slashes. I can aim and shoot stuff. Oh man, I love it.

Can't wait for the next titles to come out. Mostly looking forward to WarioWare, Mario party, of course the actual next mario game and well the list goes on and on....

:D

spokes
11-22-2006, 12:53 AM
I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic but if you're not, blu-ray isn't a good reason to buy the PS3. As of right now, you still can't be sure if that'll be the emergent technology for DVDs.

i wasn't being sarcastic, i was just saying that the blu-ray was a bit of a "throw in".......

and1grad
11-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Oh ok. I think its more of a strategic way to try to push blu-ray into the market. Not sure it'll work but its a decent move.

HereComes30
11-22-2006, 08:58 AM
BioDork.... How have you found the responsiveness of the control to be? How about the nunchuk remote? I have read that once you get the hang of both of them that it is pretty amazing how intuitive the design is.

I have someone from ebay offering me a second chance on buying a Wii for $280 and then shipping. Should I jump at the opportunity? Opinions?

mishl982
11-22-2006, 10:04 AM
Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii!!!! :)

As you can probably tell, I got a Wii and am SO happy with my purchase. I started off with Zelda, and damn is it easy and fun to play. I do a slashing motion, and Link's sword slashes. I can aim and shoot stuff. Oh man, I love it.

Can't wait for the next titles to come out. Mostly looking forward to WarioWare, Mario party, of course the actual next mario game and well the list goes on and on....

:D
When you get Mario Party, let me know! I'll be right over :)

old_school_soul
11-22-2006, 11:29 AM
BioDork.... How have you found the responsiveness of the control to be? How about the nunchuk remote? I have read that once you get the hang of both of them that it is pretty amazing how intuitive the design is.

I have someone from ebay offering me a second chance on buying a Wii for $280 and then shipping. Should I jump at the opportunity? Opinions?

The responsiveness is great.. So far been playing Zelda and Rayman a lot.. I put in my first 2 hours of Zelda last night -- learning how to fish, shoot my sling shot, exploring some caves, some sword fighting. It's all a lot of fun. If you have the extra $50 to spend, I'd say get one on Ebay.. If you are going to be sour because you see them for sail for $250 next week at Best Buy, don't. It's a gamble.

I will recommend that you definitely should order the component cables from Nintendo($30) if you have an HDTV, that way you games display in 480p (standard TV is 480i).

biodork
11-22-2006, 05:18 PM

Basically saying the same thing OSS said, but the responsiveness is great. That was one of the first things I liked about it. Also, when you turn your remote to the right or left (360 degrees) the pointer moves in that direction. Pretty cool.

Nintendo says that it's planning on sending out shipments of the Wii every week to meet its 4 million worldwide by the end of the year goal, so there is a good chance you could get one in the store and save the money. But if you want something that's a little more guaranteed then go for it on Ebay. (although people who bought the Wii just to put it on ebay really piss me off! They bought out all the accessories too!)

Bman120
11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
I preordered a Wii back in september and i'm waiting for it to come in hopefully in the next few weeks. The graphics might not be equal to the others but that controller has so many possibilities how can anyone pass it up?

Ive already got Zelda, need for speed carbon and call of duty 3 for it so as soon as it comes in i'll be ready to play.

Spinney
11-25-2006, 01:21 PM
I've actually heard there are some hardware issues with the PS3. They changed some of the components at the last minute to cut production costs a little, which changed the specs that the games are designed against. The result is that some of the games that were designed for the old specs have pretty bad video performance.

I'd go for the Wii. Not only is it cheaper but it looks more fun. Plus if you have a party everyone gets to take turns looking like a complete dork :D

meatwad
11-25-2006, 03:10 PM
So I'm watching X-Play last night, and Sessler says that the Wii-mote controller can store info on it so you can bring it to a friends house and play your stats on their Wii. If that's true, then booyah!!!

HereComes30
11-25-2006, 06:04 PM
that would be a way cool feature!! I know they have rumble and a speaker in the remote. So when you swing a bat you get the sting and the crack of the bat!!

old_school_soul
11-26-2006, 01:01 AM
So I'm watching X-Play last night, and Sessler says that the Wii-mote controller can store info on it so you can bring it to a friends house and play your stats on their Wii. If that's true, then booyah!!!

Yeah, you can store your Mii's on your Wii-mote.. Up to 15 can fit on a Wii-mote. You can also email you Mii's to people, and they show up on your system (biodork and I have exchanged Mii's).

kaution81
11-27-2006, 05:11 PM
i want a ps3 but I am going to wait until the price drops a little and they work their hardware/software issues out...so it will probably be in a year or so...im fine playing my ps2 in the meantime..im not a huge gamer..just pop in a game every once in awhile

Skyblade
11-27-2006, 06:51 PM
I have a Wii and an XBox 360 (I also have a PS2). I don't plan on getting the PS3 in the near future. One, just because it has a Blu Ray player doesn't mean its that great (video game dvd players are known for clunky operation and blu ray isn't necessarily going to be the winner in next gen dvd formats). Secondly, the price point is ridiculous.
The Wii remote is awesome. You actually do have to swing harder to get a homerun in the baseball game, etc. Its definitely not a passive activity that you can just sit on your couch and play (although some games you can I suppose, Zelda, etc.).

capella
11-27-2006, 08:27 PM
I haven't owned a video game system since the original NES, but I so want a Wii. I almost got a game cube a while back, but this new one looks so cool! I'll probably wait until they are cheaper though... sometime next year.

biodork
11-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Yay everyone needs to get a Wii so I can add more people to my Wii address book and we can exchange Mii's and messages :)

HereComes30
11-28-2006, 10:06 AM
Based on this message board at least, Nintendo should be really excited...sounds like they have a winner and might close the gap a little in the video game console wars. Fun game play is always a plus. And if it involves some level of physical activity too all the better right...maybe we won't have as big of a problem with childhood obesity. Good job Nintendo! Now the key is to have plenty of games to keep it interesting.

So are you saying that if you can't hit a homerun in real life that you won't be able to hit one with the Wii? That would suck....takes away the fantasy element! If it is not that realistic but still includes an increase in the amount of effort...that's cool. What about in tennis? Do you have to have a good tennis stroke or is it all about the speed and direction of your swing?

I have heard that there will be a gun released sometime in the near future that will enable you to plub into it the Wii controller and then shoot like the old school Duck Hunt but much better. Way cool.

I just see this as one of those things that you can get a bunch of people playing at a party or family get together....people that otherwise would not play video games, but once they start with the Wii they have a blast and don't want to give up the controller!

old_school_soul
11-28-2006, 10:31 AM
So are you saying that if you can't hit a homerun in real life that you won't be able to hit one with the Wii? That would suck....takes away the fantasy element! If it is not that realistic but still includes an increase in the amount of effort...that's cool. What about in tennis? Do you have to have a good tennis stroke or is it all about the speed and direction of your swing?

I definitely can't in real life hit a 300 ft home run, but with the Wii I can. It's less about power and more about speed for baseball. You can't casually swing it and get a home run, you do have to put some effor into it.. Same with tennis. I haven't yet mastered ball placement in tennis though, maybe I should read the instructions :).

Skyblade
11-28-2006, 12:06 PM
No you don't have to be able to hit a homerun in real life to hit a homerun in the game, but you can't just swat at the ball either. I find that I play best when I'm actually standing in the same kind of position I would stand if I were playing the real game.

Skyblade
11-28-2006, 12:08 PM
I definitely can't in real life hit a 300 ft home run, but with the Wii I can. It's less about power and more about speed for baseball. You can't casually swing it and get a home run, you do have to put some effor into it.. Same with tennis. I haven't yet mastered ball placement in tennis though, maybe I should read the instructions :).

For ball placement in tennis you have to hit it early if you want it to go right, late if you want it to go left, and right on time if you want it to go straight. (Or it might be the other way around)

HereComes30
11-28-2006, 03:43 PM
so it is like real tennis except that you can play against Yoshi instead who might eat the ball.

meatwad
11-28-2006, 04:11 PM
so it is like real tennis except that you can play against Yoshi instead who might eat the ball.

Well it's pretty obvious Yoshi likes putting balls in his mouth. I mean come on. Look at him!

Skyblade
11-28-2006, 04:25 PM
Well at least in Wii Sports you don't play against Yoshi or the Mario gang. You play against other Miis (created characters).

LakeJay
11-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Well at least in Wii Sports you don't play against Yoshi or the Mario gang. You play against other Miis (created characters).

I saw that on The Colbert Report last night. His character beat Nancy Pelosi in a boxing match. Hiliarious!

biodork
12-01-2006, 08:25 PM
So how many of you with Wii's have bought stuff from the retro arcade? Right now I have Donkey Kong, Altered Beast and Bonk's Adventure :D

I really like this aspect of the Wii. They are adding new ones like every week too.

mishl982
12-01-2006, 08:31 PM
So Elyse, when do I get to try out the action :)

By the way I had a coworker tell me about how he was thinking of getting his nephews a Wii and I told him all the good things I heard about it on here!

biodork
12-01-2006, 09:30 PM
So Elyse, when do I get to try out the action :)

By the way I had a coworker tell me about how he was thinking of getting his nephews a Wii and I told him all the good things I heard about it on here!
Anytime! You know I'm always happy to share the gaming happiness that is the Wii :)

kjs77
12-10-2006, 06:57 PM
I won't be buying any new systems anytime soon. First of all you need to have a HDTV as well as broadband internet just to get the most out of it. Then as other people have mentioned I'd rather wait till all the bugs get worked out and for the cost to come down. Finally I have so many games for my PS2 I haven't played yet that it will take a long time to get through all of them.

vivo
12-10-2006, 07:23 PM
my future pc, hopefully about the time vista comes out.

and1grad
12-10-2006, 07:49 PM
I wound up buying an xbox 360. Its pretty sweet!

My friend sent me this funny site: http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com
Be careful with your Wii, people.

biodork
12-10-2006, 09:26 PM
My friend sent me this funny site: http://www.wiihaveaproblem.com
Be careful with your Wii, people.
Personally I think the people who this happened to are pretty dumb. Don't throw the remote around like it's a real bat or bowling ball, use the strap, and if your hands are sweaty WIPE THEM OFF. sheesh. :rolleyes: I just played Zelda for 3 hours and my hands are barely sweaty. Seriously people, common sense lol.

old_school_soul
12-11-2006, 12:05 AM
Despite my hate for all things Microsoft, I have finally warmed up to the idea of buying an Xbox 360. I will however wait until next year when they release the updated slim-line model (like how sony did with the PS2).. It will run on a smaller CPU, take less power, and be much quieter. I hear the 360 is distractling noisy when it access the DVD drive.

old_school_soul
12-11-2006, 12:12 AM
Personally I think the people who this happened to are pretty dumb. Don't throw the remote around like it's a real bat or bowling ball, use the strap, and if your hands are sweaty WIPE THEM OFF. sheesh. :rolleyes: I just played Zelda for 3 hours and my hands are barely sweaty. Seriously people, common sense lol.

Yeah that's dumb. If you let go of your controller, you are just retarded. I have a feeling the strap would break, but it would take some serious force or stupididity. And the photos of the remote through the TV? Likely just photoshopped.

and1grad
12-11-2006, 12:40 PM
I hear the 360 is distractling noisy when it access the DVD drive.
Its noisy but no more than a regular computer's fan. Its not distracting to me but maybe if you're not the one actually playing, you'll notice it.