PDA

View Full Version : Craigslist success stories?

lostnotyetfound
12-27-2006, 02:33 PM
I've always been shy, quiet and lacking in confidence. I also lived at home during college so I missed out on dorm life/the typical college experience. As a result I have no friends. My life is pretty boring and that is something I want to work on in 2007.

I'm at a loss as far as figuring out where to meet people besides craigslist. Everyone I've met post college seems to have their own clique and aren't interested in expanding it. So have you met anyone off of craigslist? How did that work out for you?

pisces2473
12-27-2006, 02:36 PM
I met people off of this board. Some are my closest friends. One is even my bridemaid!

wordsmith
12-27-2006, 02:38 PM
Tons of people I know from online forums, this one and others, have become real life friends. I've never used craigslist, though, because it doesn't serve my area.

winneythepooh7
12-27-2006, 02:40 PM
I have and it's been successful. I also found my job through Craigslist. You really have to sort through the BS though sometimes.

wordsmith
12-27-2006, 02:41 PM
You really have to sort through the BS though sometimes.

Big drawback of free databases. They attract a lot of crap.

Ciderhillnh
12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
I was able to meet roommates and friends through Craigslist. One became my best friend.
Ive also used it to find groups and activities that wanted new people so that you could go and meet new people at that activity or group.

Im sorry to hear that the people you meet arent looking for new friends or willing to expand their 'clique' to include you. That always upsets me.....and understandably going through experiences like that makes it harder to approach people to try and make friends.

If you lived near me, my 'group' would welcome you with open arms....its what we do, and how we have such diverse and fun people to spend time with (when one person is busy there is always another to call and see whats going on)

pisces2473
12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
If you lived near me, my 'group' would welcome you with open arms....its what we do, and how we have such diverse and fun people to spend time with (when one person is busy there is always another to call and see whats going on)
Is this the same Ciderhillnh who posted this morning that no one will travel with her?

Ciderhillnh
12-27-2006, 03:04 PM
Yup. Met people made friends, they dont want to travel.

winneythepooh7
12-27-2006, 03:08 PM
Yup. Met people made friends, they dont want to travel.

You should start a group post on Craigslist for a group of 20&30-somethings who are looking to become travel buddies.

pisces2473
12-27-2006, 03:08 PM
You should start a group post on Craigslist for a group of 20&30-somethings who are looking to become travel buddies.
I was coming here to post this SAME thing! lol

winneythepooh7
12-27-2006, 03:12 PM
I was coming here to post this SAME thing! lol

I knew that LOL. It WILL work though. I've skimmed through Craigslist in the past looking for posts advertising social groups, and often don't find anything. However, when I posted my OWN ad, got a ton of responses.

Ciderhillnh
12-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Ive tried posting on CL in the past to find travel buddies....never had many responses.....so I gave up on it.

ocean24
12-27-2006, 03:44 PM
I sold an appliance on there once. I don't know that I would trust it for friends, just based off all of the creepy stuff I've seen on it.

CTGirl
12-27-2006, 03:46 PM
I met one of my good friends on Craigslist through the "purely platonic" section.

Kitty
12-27-2006, 04:05 PM
I LOVE craigslist. I haven't used it to find people, but I have used it to find:

- Both my jobs
- my guinea pigs
- my car
- furniture
- illegal copies of TV shows I'm into

It's huge around here.

pisces2473
12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
I LOVE craigslist. I haven't used it to find people, but I have used it to find:

- Both my jobs
- my guinea pigs
- my car
- furniture
- illegal copies of TV shows I'm into

It's huge around here.
Didn't it start in your area?

Kitty
12-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Didn't it start in your area?

Yup, started in the Bay Area.

pisces2473
12-27-2006, 04:12 PM
I still remember when I had to look at NYC's because there wasn't one in CT, then Hartford got one...then finally, New Haven got one.

Kitty
12-27-2006, 04:14 PM
Around here, it's the best way to find a job.

pisces2473
12-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Oh wow, see around here, it's like, weiiiiiird jobs are posted on there.

CityGal
12-27-2006, 04:19 PM
Found my current roomie through CL and although we are having our little difficulties now she has been great for the most part. I also consider her a close friend.

cache
12-27-2006, 04:20 PM
I love reading the rants and raves section...the stuff people talk abuot...

CTGirl
12-27-2006, 04:31 PM
I love reading the rants and raves section...the stuff people talk abuot...

I LOVE the "missed connections" section, I havent broused that one in ages, I should do that again...

Ciderhillnh
12-27-2006, 04:33 PM
I love checking out best of to see what people have voted as best postings.

I also like to check out the crazy things people post in casual encounters.

My best friend and I were on a missed connection! =)

Winter Storm
12-27-2006, 05:20 PM
I've had great luck posting on CL to meet new people. I posted an ad looking for new girlfriends twice in 2005. The first time I met a few chicks that I hung out with a few times, The second time, I met my current group of girlfriends and we've been hanging out for a year now. I'm actually having dinner with two of them tonight.

I've also gotten modeling gigs, found my two cats and my sister and mother's cats, found auditions, aspiring writers and filmakers, photographers and promotional work.

Try it, got nothing to lose.

pisces2473
12-27-2006, 05:21 PM
Ive tried posting on CL in the past to find travel buddies....never had many responses.....so I gave up on it.
Try try again.

PenforPrez
12-27-2006, 09:46 PM
I've never had much luck with St. Louis Craigslist. I found the Russian class I took last year on it, but that's all the luck I ever had.

I've answered a lot of dating ads, and never heard back. Maybe it's my technique. :p I posted a dating ad one time. Heard from one young lady. Sent her my pic (upon her request), and never heard back. That's got to fill one full of confidence! :rolleyes:

I never used it to make friends; maybe I should. :)

Paul

vxmike
12-27-2006, 09:52 PM
I've used the "rideshare" section a few times to find riders when on long drives to earn some extra cash.

I also met one girl who paid me $200 to drive her hamsters 2,000 miles cross country (she was moving and couldn't take them on the plane) when I was driving that way anyways. It paid for all my gas that trip and they only got loose in the car once!

Chameleon
12-28-2006, 06:51 AM
I've bought (lots of) furniture, found movers, a massage clinic and my bass guitar teacher on Craigslist. I've posted and answered a few ads on their Personals section and got emails from some pretty strange people, met a couple people; posted and answered in Strictly Platonic, found some pretty flakey people there. Craigslist's Best Of is blocked at work so that kinda sucks.

beeblebrox
12-28-2006, 07:39 AM
In Chicago, Craigslist is the best way to find an apartment because you deal directly with landlords and owners. The prices are the best also. My bf and I both found our apartments on the site. We'll probably use it when we look for a place together. I tried finding an apartment through apartment finding companies and hated it, so I went on craigslist and found my apartment.

pisces2473
12-28-2006, 08:36 AM
Durrrr, I just remembered that I found my current residence on CL.

Syracuse
12-28-2006, 09:02 AM
Met with a guy I used cl to find last night, possibly to be a roommate, seemed like an ok guy. Hope it works out, craigs list is pretty cool .Does anyone know who Craig is?

mishl982
12-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I've had pretty good luck with CL. I found my current townhouse (which I LOVE and is a steal), a dining room table, and some other stuff and have been able to get rid of things as well.

Ciderhillnh
12-28-2006, 10:14 AM
pisces I posted once a month for about a year....different types of posts looking to go to different places.....when you try over and over with no results, its time to stop and try a different avenue. When you have exhausted an option, sometimes you have to let it go for a bit before going back to it. I only stopped posting in September.

Also, I can say the same thing to you about try try again about all the issues you've posted about on here.....

Feverish
12-28-2006, 10:21 AM
pretty much all my friends have found their last apartments on craigslist. i even know some people who have found great roommates their too.

pisces2473
12-28-2006, 10:53 AM
Also, I can say the same thing to you about try try again about all the issues you've posted about on here.....
Sweetheart, I don't post that many issues on here. Not as many as you do. And, I at least listen to what people say, and just don't tell them no straight up.

Ciderhillnh
12-28-2006, 11:02 AM
YOu had a whole rant about friends and not having any in the area and your finacee not having any friends etc......post on CL to find friends or a group to join.

I tell people no straight up when its something thats not going to work for me. Im sorry if my being blunt and honest is hard to take, but people have to do what works for them and what makes them comfy.

Just because you give advice doesnt mean it has to be taken......I offer up a ton of advice or suggestions on this board, and if people take it and it works great for them, if they dont, well thats their choice.

pisces2473
12-28-2006, 11:08 AM
YOu had a whole rant about friends and not having any in the area and your finacee not having any friends etc......post on CL to find friends or a group to join.

I tell people no straight up when its something thats not going to work for me. Im sorry if my being blunt and honest is hard to take, but people have to do what works for them and what makes them comfy.

Just because you give advice doesnt mean it has to be taken......I offer up a ton of advice or suggestions on this board, and if people take it and it works great for them, if they dont, well thats their choice.
Yes, I did rant about that, but my point is, every week it's something different with you. You whine and complain about stuff, and we keep trying to help you, but every week, it's the same old same old, "This won't work cuz..." or "I can't do this cuz..."

I'm not the only one to call you out on this. It's not a problem with you being blunt or honest--it's the fact that you keep finding ways for things NOT to work.

If you aren't going to take our advice, why do you keep asking for it? Have you EVER taken any advice that's been given to you on here?

Ciderhillnh
12-28-2006, 11:19 AM
Slowly but yes. I stood up to my Dad even if in a small way.....took me nearly my entire life to finally do it but I did in my own small fashion.
I got out of a bad relationship.......took 3 years to finally realize, but I did get out of it.

Should I apologize that there is a ton of stuff that goes on in my life? That it always seems to happen at the same exact time? Sometimes thats just how things go......deal with one thing and another comes to rear its ugly head...or sometimes several things go on at the same time (such as roommate issues, selling the condo, my friend freaking out about her Bda celebration) it all took place in the span of a WEEK. Um sorry?

wordsmith
12-28-2006, 12:37 PM
Slowly but yes. I stood up to my Dad even if in a small way.....took me nearly my entire life to finally do it but I did in my own small fashion.
I got out of a bad relationship.......took 3 years to finally realize, but I did get out of it.

Oh, I know I'm gonna be sorry for asking...but what does standing up to your dad have to do with getting out of a bad relationship?

pisces2473
12-28-2006, 12:39 PM
Oh I think she was talking about two different instances.

hellboy
12-28-2006, 02:49 PM
Met my current roomie and another friend in CL.
There is a bus load of crap in there.

LakeJay
12-28-2006, 02:55 PM
I met my current roommate and current residence via craigslist.

Also got a desk, desk lamp and neat rolly desk chair for a great deal on craigslist.

Skyblade
12-28-2006, 03:24 PM
I met my bf on craigslist. I also got a great deal on a couch ($100 w/ delivery) for a corner unit couch. Also, one time our neighbors put a dishwasher in front of their house saying "free". I went on craigslist under the "wanted" section and someone wanted a dishwasher, working or not and I got $25 for my neighbor's old dishwasher.

sondra_finchley
12-28-2006, 03:34 PM
I just had my first experience with CL and it was great. Found a small studio to rent in Chicago two weekends ago- for $75 a night with no hotel taxes and to have our own little "place" in the city rather than a crappy hotel was fabulous! Would definitely use it again- Ive been looking at apartments and furniture and stuff on there too.

Maybe most people ARE good people in the world.

leahhers
12-30-2006, 01:37 PM
JUST cirous anyone lives in NYC? i AM in the same boat with no firends but not good luck with CL try match.com

Leah