PDA

View Full Version : Belly Dancing...?

blueyes
01-02-2007, 02:07 PM
I'm going to take a belly dancing class this winter/spring at the local community college. :D This has always been something that my friends and I joked about - now I have the opportunity and no reason to back out! It seems like it will be entertaining, regardless of whether or not I retain any information, but I just wanted to see if anyone else had ever taken any belly dancing classes/lessons/etc.

pisces2473
01-02-2007, 02:09 PM
That's funny b/c I am thinking about taking it as an enrichment class through our regional consortium for "fun" courses. I am taking pilates mat work and possibly an interior design class--just to learn the basics and get a feel for it. Obviously these are not credit classes and are taught by professionals for their own fun.

blueyes
01-02-2007, 02:16 PM
And even if I could get credit for belly dancing...what on earth would I do with belly dancing credits?!

"Hi, I'm BluEyes, and I'll be your belly dancing environmental consultant today!"

Uh, not so much. :lol:

AshleyJordan
01-02-2007, 02:18 PM
LOL. . . my mother was a professional belly dancer before she had me (she's Lebanese). Good skill to have!

blueyes
01-02-2007, 02:26 PM
My only real concern is that my knee is still a bit twinge-y - but this course doesn't start until early February so I feel like there's time for healing (and PT).

Any suggestions, Ashley?

embrassezla
01-02-2007, 02:27 PM
seriously, it's FUN. and the music is really good. and the instructor looks all sexy, and you will look like an uncoordinated moron. at least I did, anyway. but still, i really liked it. haven't been able to find one locally.

pisces2473
01-02-2007, 02:30 PM
And even if I could get credit for belly dancing...what on earth would I do with belly dancing credits?!

"Hi, I'm BluEyes, and I'll be your belly dancing environmental consultant today!"

Uh, not so much. :lol:
I'm sure the CC offers it for those students who need a gym credit?

Mine isn't a CC...it's hard to explain, it's like a whole center of enrichment courses.

AshleyJordan
My only real concern is that my knee is still a bit twinge-y - but this course doesn't start until early February so I feel like there's time for healing (and PT).

Any suggestions, Ashley?

re. your knee, or belly dancing in general? :question:

it would probably be easier on your knee than other forms of dancing (like ballet or pointe) because you're barefoot, not going up on your toes very much, and most of your weight is focused on your hips. . .

EmberMae
I tried to learn it from a video. It's really difficult. The isolations were most challenging thing for me. You have to be able to isolate different parts of your body and move them independently from the rest. Hips aren't difficult, I think we're all used to that, but shoulders, tummy, chest, can be quite tough and yes it makes me feel very uncoordinated.

blueyes
...and the instructor looks all sexy, and you will look like an uncoordinated moron.
:lol: I am expecting this and I will probably still thoroughly enjoy myself.

haven't been able to find one locally.
Not only does AACC have a course (at the Arnold campus, where I will be uncoordinatingly following the sexy instructor!), but that yoga place I sent you offers a course @ their Severna Park location.

embrassezla
01-02-2007, 02:36 PM
that yoga place I sent you offers a course @ their Severna Park location.
I noticed that, but they didn't have any listed for this semster. I didnt look on the SP location though, awesome! Might have to sign up for that as well.

Kitty
01-02-2007, 02:39 PM
I really think I need to start doing yoga again..my back is killing me.

blueyes
01-02-2007, 02:55 PM
More my knee, Ashley. I'm pretty sure that I ought to be fine by February and have some sort of medical clearance.

AshleyJordan
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah, see what your Dr. says. . . I imagine if you stretch enough before you should be OK. . .

blueyes
01-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Awesome. I'm totally excited. I mean, YES - I am fully aware I'm going to look like a doofus, but so's everyone else (except for the instructor). And c'mon - how sexy is belly dancing?! :D

AshleyJordan
01-02-2007, 03:07 PM
And c'mon - how sexy is belly dancing?! :D

I told you, it's a good skill to have ;)

Chameleon
01-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I've taken a few classes and it is fun! The instructor I had did a lot of stretches and strength exercises before the class so it felt a little like a yoga class. I had knee problems at the time I took the class but it didn't hurt my knee - I just had to be careful during some of the stretches and squats.

The isolations are difficult but they get easier with practice, I try to do them every morning in front of a mirror even though I haven't been to a class in months. Much sassier than doing situps :)

WorkInProgress
01-03-2007, 10:12 AM
I took bellydancing lessons in college and absolutely loved it. It was fun and great exercise. I'd like to get back into it, actually, when I find the time and money.

RealDeal
01-04-2007, 06:14 PM
I never have but it sounds super fun! I have gone to a restaurant that has belly dancers -- we had a great time.