PDA

View Full Version : What would you do?

Layback
12-23-2003, 10:36 AM
Here's my situation:

I have just recovered froman anxiety disorder, but there is still some uncertainty in my future and I have some hard choices that I need to make. Quite frankly they bind me to my past and I want to move forward.

I have a job that pays very well, but I have no passion for what I do. I get to travel on my company's dime, but I don't care for the people that I travel with. So I am seeing the county and I am making good dough, but it's doing nothing for me soul. This makes me feel like I don't know who I am or where I am headed.

My fiancee loves her job as a Physical Therapist. We are getting married in October. She has a dream of pursuing a gig as a Traveling Physical Therapist. If we decide to go with her dream (I would come along). It means leaving my job and basically working retail for a year so I can figure out who I am again. I would leave behind $50k in annual salary, but she would probably make at least that. In addition, all of our living expenses would be paid for as part of the gig (i.e. rent, food, car).

If we decide to do this, I would suck it up in my job for another year, we would get married in October, and we'd head west in January 2005. The hard part is that I've committed 5 years of my life to success in this industry (retirement plans) and I have enjoyed quite a bit of success. I just don't feel like I want to move forward any further in this industry.

What would you do?

pisces2473
12-23-2003, 10:38 AM
What is a traveling PT? I've never heard of it and I don't understand...for whom would she be working? Why traveling? Are you talking about her working for a professional sports team or something?

Layback
12-23-2003, 10:46 AM
Im sorry - a Travelling PT gets paid to move from location to loacation in three month intervals, where there is a shortage of Physical Therapists at a specific location. She would work for Healthsouth, her current employer. We would get to choose the areas of the country that we want to live. I think we are looking at Washington state, Colorado, Arizona, and Alaska.

I would most likely spend my time working for a company like REI in retail (west coast EMS-like store) so that I could gain product knowledge and hopefully startv a career in Outdoor Gear.

pisces2473
12-23-2003, 10:50 AM
Interesting...but do you really want to always be on the go? Would you have a permanent base, or would you be taking everything you owned with you every time you moved? What about housing? The company would find you a place, correct? Since you guys are young and don't have kids, I think you could probably do it...but I would think it might get old after awhile...

libscigrl
12-23-2003, 10:59 AM
Assuming it wouldn't be a long term thing to move around all the time I think it sounds fun. And not everyone can afford to act on their desire to change careers. How good are you at scrimping & saving? If you're fairly good at it and like the idea of seeing some new places, I say go for it.

Layback
12-23-2003, 11:03 AM
We would basically take our clothes and our hobbies (i.e. skis, climbing gear, etc) with us. The company would provide us with housing similar to an Avalon property (for those in CT & MA). We would do this for about a year and then hopefully I could land a gig with a company like Patagonia or The North Face. Long term we hope to settle in upstate NY (north of Albany/south of Lake George)

pisces2473
12-23-2003, 11:05 AM
Hmmm, I think it sounds interesting...and you should go for it! It's only a year and think of all the cool adventures you'll have. And, you guys are into cliimbing and skiing--what better places than out west to do that stuff! :cool:

girlinterrupted
12-23-2003, 11:07 AM
Yes it sounds exciting, but how often would you be moving from place to place? Once a year? A couple of times a year?

Layback, you said you travel for your job now. How often & how long are you gone? Just asking b/c I used to be a flight attendant & I felt like I was never home (and so did my husband). Then when I was home, it never really felt like home - my apartment just seemed like another hotel. When I look back on it, I am glad I did it but I was so unsettled all the time.

Now, for you (depending on how much you travel for work now), this may seem like a good change. You will have a set schedule, but for how long in one place? I would take a job traveling where I can still have a place to call home over another job where I don't have a "home" b/c I am always moving! But that's me.

Good luck with your decision. If you are worried about retirement funds being lost, you can I think almost always roll them over into a personal retirement fund - I would check with an accountant. You mentioned something about recovering from an anxiety disorder - do you think this type of on-the-go lifestyle would be best for you? It's cool that you want to do this for your fiancee, but just make sure you both discuss all sides of the issue before you jump blindly into it.

heatherf
12-23-2003, 02:17 PM
I would totally do it! It's not permanent- it seems to be happening at the perfect time- and the west coast is great! So much to do out here- especially outdoorsy stuff. When else are you going to have the chance. AND it's totally an excuse TO find yourself- "I had to quit the job- cause my wife took a job which involved traveling". So your resume is fine- your family wouldn't be the wiser...and the two of you get to do this together!

paperjam1015
12-23-2003, 04:17 PM
Wow..even though you'd have to move, working for Patagonia sounds like the relief you need from your current job. Maybe you could incorporate this experince with your current work experince, so that afterwards you could start your own company/do contract work. Take a look at
"Road Trip Nation" next time you're in a bookstore. It's been a big inspiration to me. Of course there's the ever so popular "Who moved my cheese?"

Anyway my $0.02....go for it...enjoy it...It'll be one to tell the grandkids about...