PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Authors

Skyblade
02-06-2007, 05:42 PM
When I read a good book I usually try and find other good books by the same author. I'm trying to find some new authors to check out. What are some of your favorite authors? I'm looking for especially newer, current authors as opposed to the classics.

AshleyJordan
02-06-2007, 05:43 PM
Newer authors I like are Coehlo, Eugenides, Saramongo, and Pamuk.

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Fiction or non-fiction/memoir?

yankeeyosh
02-06-2007, 05:46 PM
Jonathan Kozol, Simon Winchester, Malcolm Gladwell, Carolyn Martin, Bruce Tulgan, and James Loewen come to mind.

Skyblade
02-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Fiction or non-fiction/memoir?

I probably read more fiction than non-fiction, but either is fine.

yankeeyosh
02-06-2007, 05:57 PM
My selections are non-fiction. I rarely read fiction these days.

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 06:04 PM
Chuck Klosterman, pop culture essasyist/memoirist who began as a journalist/music and arts critic:

Fargo Rock City
Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs: A Low Culture Manifesto
Killing Yourself to Live: 85% of a True Story
Chuck Klosterman IV: A Decade of Curious People and Dangerous Ideas

Laurie Notaro, really humorous reads. Totally normal girl who is funny as hell. Her books:

The Idiot Girls' Action-Adventure Club
We Thought You Would be Prettier: True Tales of the Dorkiest Girl Alive
Autobiography of a Fat Bride
I Love Everybody (and Other Atrocious Lies): True Tales of a Loudmouth Girl

Her new book, coming out this spring: There’s A Slight Chance I Might Be Going To Hell: A Novel of Sewer Pipes, Pageant Queens and Big Trouble

Here's an interview with her. http://www.powells.com/authors/notaro.html

She was a humor columnist initially, so her stuff is in short segments, every chapter is a different vignette. They're good to read when you have a few minutes here and there and wanna relax a little, but don't have the time to get sucked into a novel.

dacrunkest
02-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Authors: Jon Krakuer (Into Thin Air, Into the Wild). Jack London. Graham Greene. Joseph Conrad. Dashiell Hammett.

Poets: Randall Jerrell, WH Auden, John Crowe Ransom

PenforPrez
02-06-2007, 08:39 PM
I like a lot of historical fiction; I'm very fond of John Jakes, who wrote the North and South trilogy in the 1980's.

I'm a huge Harry Turtledove fan, known as "The Master of Alternate History." Guns of the South is still the most engrossing work I've ever read. :)

Paul

winneythepooh7
02-06-2007, 08:45 PM
I just finished The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle. I really liked this book, but it is centered around a very disturbing topic.

I just started And She Was by Cindy Dyson and so far enjoy it.

Krishna
02-06-2007, 08:47 PM
John Grisham
Stephen White

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Authors: Jon Krakuer (Into Thin Air, Into the Wild). Jack London. Graham Greene. Joseph Conrad. Dashiell Hammett.

Poets: Randall Jerrell, WH Auden, John Crowe Ransom

I'm with you, I just thought she was looking for more current.

dacrunkest
02-06-2007, 09:09 PM
I do like Klosterman a lot, as well....I think he is funny.

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 09:14 PM
I do like Klosterman a lot, as well....I think he is funny.

Hah, good, I just didn't want you to think I was the idiot with the annoying hipster lit taste. Those are just some of my faves of the current crop.

dacrunkest
02-06-2007, 09:21 PM
As long as you read you are cool in my book.

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 09:26 PM
Consider me Miles Davis. ;)

dacrunkest
02-06-2007, 09:30 PM
LOL...props.

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 09:32 PM
Thanks! :p

Kitty
02-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Any and all books by these authors are good:

- Ralph Ellison
- Nabokov
- Jonathan Safran Foer
- Jeff Noon
- Albert Camus
- Don Delillo
- Marilynne Robinson

To name a few.

ETA: Just realized you wanted "newer" authors. Oops!

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM
Richard Wright
Raymond Carver

(not up and comers, but also not part of the oldest school canon, either)

Kitty
02-06-2007, 09:58 PM
Love Raymond Carver!

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 10:09 PM
Me, too, and sometimes I forget about him.

Kitty
02-06-2007, 10:12 PM
I do too - mostly because I read all his short stories in HS which now seems like forever ago. Has he done anything besides short stories and poetry?

Xander
02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Nostalgic favorite: Orson Scott Card

Irish79
02-06-2007, 10:14 PM
Jodi Picoult
Anna Maxted
Cecilia Ahern

Kitty
02-06-2007, 10:15 PM
Speaking of good short story writers, I also love Carson McCullers and Flannery O'Connor.

Oh, and for writers, also Paul Bowles.

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 10:20 PM
If you're not turned off of playwrights, Tom Stoppard. Particularly Arcadia. But you really have to see it, too.

dacrunkest
02-06-2007, 10:30 PM
LOVE Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead.

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 10:43 PM
Awesome. I worked on Arcadia as an undergrad in MN.

dacrunkest
02-06-2007, 10:45 PM
I am not as familiar with Arcadia...I will pick up the script next time I am at the bookstore. You recommend seeing it as well...is it better on stage? Is there a film version?

Do you like Vonnegut?

wordsmith
02-06-2007, 10:56 PM
It's very cerebral...manages to tie in a mystery, two different time periods being juggled (and sometimes intersecting), Byronic poetry, chaos theory, social commentary, even English landscape gardening and be completely absorbing. Very literate and very theatrical. And funny!

I found this review, which also noted that it's, in the reviewer's opinion, as good on page as onstage. No film version that I'm aware of. I think it would lose too much, anyway.

Mr.Stoppard has written many fine and clever plays, but perhaps none is finer than this one. Switching back and forth between the present and the 19th century, he unfolds a marvelous story that addresses major questions of art, science, and history -- and how they intersect. The story itself is a poignant one, and an entertaining and amusing one as well, as Stoppard mixes elements again and again to reinforce his many points. The characters are rich and varied, and it all fits together perfectly. The science may seem heady, but it is really straightforward, and though it does take some effort to follow the many threads it is more than worthwhile.
The play is set, in its entirety, in a single room, overlooking a garden, at an English estate, Sidley Park. Scenes alternate between the 20th century and the 19th, until they finally converge at the end. In one period -- 1809 to 1812 -- it is the residence of Lord and Lady Croom, young Lady Thomasina Coverly (a young teen) and her tutor, Septimus Hodge, among others. In the other -- the present -- an author, Hannah Jarvis, a scholar, Bernard Nightingale, and the scientist (and one of the children of the house) Valentine are the main figures. Objects -- letters, notebooks, furniture -- appear in both, bridging time. As does a tortoise.
Brilliant but innocent young Thomasina is a mathematical prodigy, understanding and illustrating to her tutor the notion of entropy (everything tends towards disorder, i.e. decay) and fractal/chaos theory. As a girl, her talent goes largely unrecognized, though her tutor realizes that she is capable of remarkable things.
Thomasina is also growing into womanhood, a source of tension that rises as the play proceeds. Septimus is a natural object for her affections, but he meanwhile is involved in another affair. Adding to the complexity an unseen Byron, who went to university with Septimus, visits Sidley Park.
The confusion of who did what (and, in some cases, to whom) work to great comedic and dramatic effect. Much of the fun comes from the alternate scenes in the present, as these figures try to understand from the few clues left what exactly happened in the past. Bernard is trying to prove that Byron was involved in a duel with poet in residence Ezra Chater, explaining Byron's hitherto unexplained two-year absence from England. Hannah becomes obsessed with a mysterious hermit who lived on the property (and, to her great satisfaction, manages to prove Bernard mistaken).
The puzzles solve themselves, and even Thomasina's accomplishments are uncovered and acknowledged. Stoppard ties up the threads in neat fashion, interweaving them in his complex, elegant fabric.
The play works on many levels -- surprisingly, it is successful on each. Stoppard's understanding (and clear presentation) of questions of science, art, history, and even gardening serve him well, but it is the richly drawn characters (and their bright, sharp dialogue) that makes Arcadia superb drama.

ebruening
02-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Poets: Nick Flynn's book "Some Ether" is my favorite poetry book of all time. Ted Kooser's book "Local Wonders" really is excellent...then again, maybe I'm biased because I'm a Nebraskan :rolleyes:

Authors: Patrick White; Vladimir Nabokov (some might call him a classic author); George Orwell (yes, he's a classic author. I love anything even slightly Orwellian); Don DeLillo; A.S. Byatt (her book "Possession" is wonderful...it's a love story involving literary critics/English profs); I'll second Tom Stoppard. You might try Beckett, if you're feeling really adventurous, and have a lot of time to devote to deciphering his work. I also adore E.M. Forester.

wordsmith
02-10-2007, 12:37 PM
I second A.S. Byatt's "Possession," wholeheartedly.

Xander
02-11-2007, 04:13 AM
A hard question for some, I'm sure, but if you were on a desert island and could only read one book once (it'll get washed away in a storm) which book would it be?

I'm looking for fiction... I've got too many nons to read as it is. Thanks!!