PDA

View Full Version : Dementia

winneythepooh7
03-16-2007, 09:41 AM
Has anyone dealt with someone with dementia that has become violent? I haven't really before (I mean dealt with anyone with dementia) and we have a new case at work right now where it appears that that guy in addition to his TBI also has the beginning stages of dementia. I got a call yesterday from one of his staff that he pulled a knife on his wife and said "if you call 911 I will kill you". The wife is claiming "she's not scared and he would nevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver do anything to her" but it just doesn't sit well with me, not to do anything that is. Especially because there are young children involved in the home. With dementia, you don't always KNOW what you are doing, correct?

Ciderhillnh
03-16-2007, 09:56 AM
That is correct. With Dimentia either they are hallucinating and dont know what or who they are doing something to, or they are so lost in the depths of their mind they have no idea what their body is doing

Examples:
Ironing with a kleenex box
walking in neighborhood and getting lost no idea how to get home
Thinking spouse is an intruder and pulling a knife on them

My grandmother has dimentia and I used to work with clients that had it as well.....its tough and sad to see.

Are you possibly going to remove the guy from the home due to his possible danger to his kids?

winneythepooh7
03-16-2007, 10:04 AM
As an agency, we are thinking of giving the family a 10-day notice letter that we cannot provide services. As a rule, you can't have this type of diagnosis to receive services anyways, because of the reasons you mentioned. This case was a dump-job from another agency, who never initially picked up on this diagnosis.

wordsmith
03-16-2007, 10:22 AM
My grandma's had Alzheimer's for around ten years at this point, and didn't get into the violent phase until the past year or so (she's been in a care facility since 2003, when her needs got to be too extensive for her family and a live-in nurse/care provider alone, though, so the staff is equipped to deal with this...and, she's 89 years old and 5 feet tall, so she's not that difficult to restrain) . And, no, there is no emotional control over what's going on with dementia, violent outbursts or any other behavior. I could post the most heartbreaking dementia stories, but I won't.

winneythepooh7
03-16-2007, 10:25 AM
I am so furious right now. I just got an email from the administrator who oversees our program that he is going by the wife's and other staff's opinions that "they don't think he's violent". Yeah, but when he pulls a knife on his wife and kids and accidentally stabs them, then who gets blamed?

cameralady
03-16-2007, 12:26 PM
With dementia, you don't always KNOW what you are doing, correct?
No, dementia causes a person to lose one's perspective on reality, and it's difficult to reason with the person.

winneythepooh7
03-16-2007, 03:18 PM
We have decided as an agency we are not going to provide services to this man and his family; it is too much of a risk for us all getting sued.