PDA

View Full Version : Valentine's Day

klo1335
01-14-2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah so I know its really early but I need to think of things in advance. But what should I get my SO for valentines day? We will have been together for 2 months come v-day. I have been looking on ebay for something unique but just keep drawing a blank. Any suggestions will be welcome :)

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 11:51 AM
Evil Katie. Really evil. :twisted:

klo1335
01-14-2004, 12:00 PM
why am I evil? That was mean :(

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 12:02 PM
I'm kidding around :razz:

klo1335
01-14-2004, 12:03 PM
you best be or I will come and hurt you ;) tehehe BEsides this is something that YOU should be thinking about too Jen! ;)

coll214
01-14-2004, 12:08 PM
What about a funny gag gift of something you know he really likes? I'm thinking about getting mine a big ass box of something he always uses; like a rice mix or those nasty protein drinks :p which i always joke he needs a lifetime supply of.

Yeah Jen- you're gonna have to think about his too ya know ;) !

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 12:15 PM
I suggested that Coll get her BF batteries or light bulbs. Something REALLY unromantic. HAHA

Um I'll think about what do to for him like the day before. I'm not really into that day.

Maraschinored
01-14-2004, 01:02 PM
Valentine's Day bites. I'm leaving that day to go to Mexico, to drink margaritas and sleep in the sun. So thats what I think about that. 'Nuff said.

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 01:05 PM
I don't like it at all. I think it's hokey. Just b/c I have someone now doesn't mean my feelings about the day have changed.

girlinterrupted
01-14-2004, 01:26 PM
www.chipofthemonth.com

Nothing says I love you like potato chips for your man.

I don't like Valentine's really. I think it's fun just to go to an offbeat restaurant together - something that's not crawling with people.

klo1335
01-14-2004, 01:53 PM
Well I will actually be in Florida during V-Day. And I just want to do something little cause I too agree that its a greeting card holiday. But I want to be prepared unless he gives me something, ya know?

coll214
01-14-2004, 01:58 PM
yeah- the 'holiday' which i use the term loosely is one for candy makers (YUM) and Hallmark. Hell i was complaining to my b/f how there's no holidays in Feb. and He said what about V-day? whoops!! :D

Doesn't count if you don't get the day off for it.

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 02:13 PM
I *might* get him a card. *Maybe* we'll go out to dinner. Who knows? We just started dating...anything can happen.

kitalyn414
01-14-2004, 02:16 PM
i'm thinking of getting something for my ex. i've lost my mind.

klo1335
01-14-2004, 02:20 PM
Jen--I think you should buy him something for his car...wink, wink ;)

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 02:21 PM
Katie--Maybe YOU should do the same :p

klo1335
01-14-2004, 02:24 PM
already did.....;)

SmilesSoSweet
01-14-2004, 03:09 PM
I may actually celebrate this holiday this year even though I told myself that I never would. I just starting dating this one guy that lives in Northern California. Since he's already planning a trip to come down that weekend to visit his family, we're probably going to hang out a bit, too. I'm just not sure if I should get him anything and if I do, what the heck do I get him? We just started dating last month, so I'm not even expecting anything from him either. I'll just be happy with just spending time with him. :)

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 03:17 PM
See? That's what I mean. Some relationships are new and it's weird because you don't know what to do, if he likes the day, etc.

coll214
01-14-2004, 03:35 PM
ok...so what happens if he likes it but you don't?? Like smiles said i'd be happy just doing the usual and hanging out...

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 03:40 PM
Then you say, "Honey, as my Vday present to you, I'm going to let you have the day to yourself, to do all your guy things. Maybe we can meet up for dinner?" :p

red
01-14-2004, 03:53 PM
ugh, i HATE valentine's day. thank god my husband feels the same way. i don't like cheesy stuff like that. and i agree, unless you know the person really well, it's hard to know how they feel. and i don't like that it makes people feel bad either.
my idea of a real gift is to do something that requires time and love, not money.

gracieTx
01-14-2004, 04:21 PM
I'm in a fairly new relationship and hadn't planned on doing anything special. Granted, my guy is a bit more 'romantically minded' than myself but would anyone else agree that when still just dating (before any major declaration of feelings has been exchanged), isn't Valentine's day more geared toward the girl--i.e. the guy trying to win over the girl? Does the girl really have to give the guy some goofy present?

coll214
01-14-2004, 04:27 PM
That's kind of what i was thinking too, gracieTx, which would be easier for me ...:p

pisces2473
01-14-2004, 04:33 PM
I agree, Coll and Gracie. He can buy me flowers if he wants, but what could I get him? No clue.

Crimson King
01-14-2004, 05:59 PM
I've got a friend who lives a couple hours away and I know she's single. We've never dated, but she's really sweet and constantly complains about "couple" holidays, etc. since she's not with anyone. I'm planning on surprising her with flowers on Valentine's day, maybe as a friendly gesture alone, perhaps more, who knows--but either way I think it will be nice and I think she deserves it and will appreciate it. Hopefully it will brighten her day.

Would anyone find that odd or strange? To me, it seems like a nice thing to do, but would it freak anyone out? Plus, I've known her for nearly 15 years...so maybe that's not an issue anyway...

gracieTx
01-14-2004, 06:10 PM
Crimson King,
That's a great idea!...though if it were me, i'd stay away from all red roses (too cliche for V-day anyway) since you've been friends for so long unless she's on the same page.

I love getting flowers and secretly hope my guy will think of it. Even better: when they are sent to you while at work. There's no better feeling than showing off at work that you have a life on the outside!

libscigrl
01-14-2004, 08:16 PM
Arrgh. V-day.

I don't know what I'll give my bf for V-day. One of my home-made cards, certainly, but I'm not sure about a gift. Maybe a book or a dvd or something he wanted for Chanuka but didn't get. I know he doesn't care for the holiday but we'll prolly do something t/g for it. He'll probably make me dinner.

So Jen--what is this I hear of a man in your life? How'd you two meet?

Crossroads
01-14-2004, 08:59 PM
Maybe I'll send MYSELF flowers to the office (since I have no SO). And make that hot guy in the office that has a GF already but who has been kinda flirty wonder... :D

klo1335
01-15-2004, 08:03 AM
Has anyone ever heard of Cookies by Design? ITs a company where you can send a bouquet of cookies to someone. The cookies are really good too but it can get pricey. I don't know what to do...but I am sure that I will think of something.

coll214
01-15-2004, 09:53 AM
Yes!, those Cookies by design are really good and always look nice when delivered :D .

I think what i'm going to do is just wait for now. Not think about the 'holiday' until the last minute unless I see something that screams at me ... I work better under pressure anyhow.

Crimson- Sending flowers to your friend is a great idea! I'm sure she'd appreciate the gesture and who knows what could come of it ;) .

red
01-15-2004, 10:17 AM
crossroads, a girl in my office did that a couple of years ago. she actually was seeing someone, but she had never gotten roses on v-day, and it was something she wanted. i think she meant to stick it to her bf, who also works here. anyway, the company never delivered them! they ran out or something.

Crimson King
01-15-2004, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the tips. But tell me this...if not roses...any suggestions?

klo1335
01-15-2004, 01:35 PM
The guy I am dating send me flowers on NYE but didn't want to send roses. He ended up getting thie bouquet with Tiger Lillies, Carnation, and some others. Basically its a "spring mix." At least this is what my mother called it.

coll214
01-15-2004, 01:54 PM
Hmmm.... red roses are more romantic... but yellow are nice too. Or purple if you can find them. Or there's lilies, a mixed bouquet...and i like maureen's idea of the sunflowers too :p .

pisces2473
01-15-2004, 02:16 PM
I do not like red roses. I think they are utterly cliche. Of course, if someone were to buy me them, I'd say thank you and be grateful, but I like pink, peach, yellow, etc much better. Katie, the bouquet that you got is very similar to what I got on my first date with my dude. That's very nice and not over the top. Sunflowers are FUN! I'd like those!

Crimson King
01-15-2004, 02:57 PM
There's a florist in our building and I did some checking at lunch. They have deep red roses that have been sort of bleached so that the lower half of the rose is still deep red, but the outer half of each petal is white...really nice look and not so much of the cliche standard red, but I like the sunflower idea too...something different. Any preference between the two?

pisces2473
01-15-2004, 03:04 PM
As a girl who's gotten roses from her guy friends a few times (guy friends that she liked but didn't feel the same), you might want to send the sunflowers....for safety reasons. But if your instincts are good, go for those cool roses!

sunshinecat
01-15-2004, 03:18 PM
Just remember that roses do not last very long as cut flowers. Other varieties mentioned in this thread do last longer. A colorful, mixed bouquet is always nice. I have a good size garden in my yard, so I'm always bringing in bouquets during spring and summer. I like the sunflower idea because they are so bright and cheerful. However, I have put some varieties of sunflowers in a vase at work and then had to remove them because the fragrance was too strong! I also love dahlias as cut flowers.

Cookies By Design . . . this is a great idea too. I sent a cookie "bouquet" to my grandfather once. Good quality and friendly staff.

Now, I can't wait for spring!
sunshinecat

paperjam1015
01-15-2004, 06:16 PM
I agree w/ the other women....No roses...And sorry Maureen, but I have to say no to yellow roses (unless she lives in Texas;) )

I'd much rather a guy get a little creative. If you get a mix it stands out more b/c it's generally more colorful.And as Sunshine said...they don't last as long. Throwing flowers out a few days after I got them just makes me so sad.

I have to say I remember the guy who sent me a mix of flowers much more than I can remember the times guys have sent me roses.

Of course I doubt anyone will send me any kind of flowers this year so I'd be grateful to get roses....:(

pisces2473
01-16-2004, 12:21 AM
Okay, my boyfriend just told me about this dumb ad he saw in our supermarket flyer about "buy one dozen roses, get one free." I KNOW he's going to pull something for Vday--not those roses, but something... So now I have to figure out something...maybe I'll make him cookies. LOL I like to eat them, maybe he'll share them with me?

gracieTx
01-16-2004, 09:34 AM
ahhh...baking him cookies is a great idea. I'm going to have to steal that one! I must say that I hate to bake but I make some outrageous chocolate chip cookies! Thanks, Pisces!

pisces2473
01-16-2004, 10:25 AM
No prob! :)

Eph--weeds??? LOLOLOLOL

pisces2473
01-16-2004, 10:43 AM
BABY'S BREATH!!!!!

pisces2473
01-18-2004, 12:48 PM
Last night, my BF and I are driving home from this comedy club and he asks me something about us being together in a month (we've only been dating a few weeks) and I was like, Uhhh why do you ask? And he said something and then I said, Well I hope so. Then he says, I think we both know what I'm asking about--Valentines Day. And I'm thinking to myself, OH SHIT! So I say something about how I hate that day, always have, and he's like, Yeah it's very 'card and candy' and kinda like you should tell people that you love them every day, not just then. I said I agreed and he was like, Well maybe we can just go out for a nice dinner or something. I was like, Oh okay.

Now I have to do SOMETHING. As a joke, I'm getting him a lint brush from my cats. He always gets their hair on him. LOL But from me, who knows?

paperjam1015
01-18-2004, 02:24 PM
my BF and I are driving home from this comedy club

WTF??? Ok, I've been quiet long enough...you gotta tell us something about this guy. Sounds like it's getting serious if the cats are even getting him a gift ;)

pisces2473
01-18-2004, 02:39 PM
I don't know HOW serious it is...the thing from the cats is just a joke. From me, who knows? So what do you want to know? I hate talking about this stuff....because it seems like when I do, something goes wrong...

libscigrl
01-18-2004, 03:49 PM
I LOVE the lint brush idea LOL! :)

It's hard to think of what you should get him if we don't know what his interests are. What is he into?

Some ideas...

~ Something from a place like The Body Shop, maybe some nice smelling lotion for men or one of those old fashioned shaving kits w/ the round brush?

~Does he like candles? Maybe a nice one from Pier 1 or Target or something?

~Something from BB & B?

~A board game (do either of you like board games?)

I dunno...I'm drawing such a blank at the moment. And guys are so much harder to buy for.

Any guys out there who wanna offer their 2 cents for Jen?

TranquilSkye
01-18-2004, 04:27 PM
hahah the lint brush idea is great! ok now about the flowers discussion. after a really crappy day my bf surprised me with pink and white carnations. why? because he remembered carnations are the only flower that don't make me sneeze :) so i reccommend getting flowers that aren't roses. go for wild flowers or something cheerful like tulips. that way if she doesn't feel the same about you she'll just assume you're being nice. good luck!

now my bf and i actually discussed our feelings about v day. he absolutely hates it and i don't really care about it. so we've agreed not to buy each other gifts and not to make elaborate plans. we're going clubbing in sf that night and then going to make waffles for breakfast the next morning. simple is good :)

paperjam1015
01-18-2004, 10:25 PM
LOL..I'm just picking on you...what a change from a month or so ago!!! :D The news is exciting though!!!

I used to get my ex gifts from the dog. Oh and I'd have to pick out gifts to him from his cat also...

I think (It's been awhile) first gifts I've gotten for guys were shaving kit stuff. The Body shop was a good suggestion. A CD is always good if he's talked about a certain band and you know what he already has. Wine/Beer glasses always go over well.

pisces2473
01-18-2004, 11:09 PM
He has a gazillion CDs. He's into fishing and hunting and DUDE stuff like that, but I have no clue what to do for that...

It's so funny you mentioned the Body Shop b/c I LOVE that place and I have and go to home parties ALL the time. He doesn't wear any cologne or anything, but maybe he would if I bought it for him? (my brother was like that...I bought him some stuff and he's like sweeeeet)

He also likes different kinds of beer, so maybe I could do a sampler six pack...

GOOD ideas, thanks so much!

paperjam1015
01-19-2004, 12:11 AM
If he's into fishing and hunting, try Bass Pro Shops. They have a catalog and gift certs if there's not one around you. Should have a website. They have everything the guy could ever want.

klo1335
01-20-2004, 08:20 AM
sorry but I have been away for a few days...but Jen....you called him your BOYFRIEND! I love it!!!!!! :)

pisces2473
01-20-2004, 09:56 AM
Oh Katie, knock it off!!!:p

klo1335
01-20-2004, 10:14 AM
hahaha...you love it!!!! Why are you ignoring my IM's? Don't make me cry :(

UofIowaGrad
01-21-2004, 09:26 AM
I just wanted to say I find it funny that the same person who was whining about a fellow QLCer sharing their engagement news is now taking up 3 pages in the V-Day thread to talk about their new boyfriend.

gracieTx
01-21-2004, 09:30 AM
Ya! Gotta love irony, huh?

UofIowaGrad
01-21-2004, 09:35 AM
Can't decide if it's ironic or obnoxious. Either way it's a lesson to us all: be kind to those posting good news... cause it just might be your turn some day.

pisces2473
01-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Well, I think it's a little strange how someone chooses their first post to be something bordering on obnoxious. And Layback and I are on good terms now, so you should probably MYOB. Plus, I didn't come out and start a topic called "I HAVE A BOYFRIEND!!!" It just came up in "conversation" here on the boards.

klo1335
01-21-2004, 09:59 AM
I think it just goes to show that when you think that your life is at its worst point...you never really know when something good is going to happen to you....and I don't see how the thread wsa 3 pages of talking about boyfriends. The question was simply asking about v-day.

TankgirlyC
01-21-2004, 10:57 AM
When my BF and I started dating......well it was the day AFTER Vday that was our first date.

Now I didnt know the FIRST thing about him hey it was our first date.
He didnt know anything about my feelings about the day either
(BTW----I dont like the day its just for Hallmark to make $$, but I think its nice to do something small....like give a card and rent a movie)

I was cooking him dinner and getting out wine for us to drink and chat over......he pulls a heart shaped box with a small teddy bear and says "I dont know if you celebrate V-Day but I brought you this anyway"

It was sweet simple, and I still have the top of the box and the teddy bear in my room now.

Here is my point....its the small things with thought that people remember. If you have just started dating someone you know probably what their basic main interests are.
Now as to not feed into hte holiday itself......why not?
MAKE A MIX CD
MAKE A MIX TAPE
BUY THEM THEIR NEW FAVORITE MOVIE
GIVE THEM AN I-O-U for DINNER/MOVIE
RENT THEIR FAV MOVIE AND YOURS, MAKE POPCORN AND CUDDLE UNDER A BLANKET TOGETHER

THe idea of the holiday is about being together and doing something nice. That doesnt mean you have to buy chocolates and a card.....you can do something small and if you just started dating....keep it simple!

Hope this helps.

kitalyn414
01-21-2004, 01:08 PM
Well, I think it's a little strange how someone chooses their first post to be something bordering on obnoxious. ditto. don't insult our QLC GODDESS! she's got plenty of backup!!!

klo1335
01-21-2004, 01:10 PM
Thanks Tank...finally some good suggestions I was looking for :-) I appriciate the help.

pisces2473
01-21-2004, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by kitalyn414
ditto. don't insult our QLC GODDESS! she's got plenty of backup!!!
Thank you Kita :cool: Yay, I am loved.

pisces2473
01-21-2004, 01:33 PM
And thanks Tank, those were some good suggestions. Earlier today I decided on what to get my BF. There's this really local soda company and they only distribute to a few restaurants and stores near me. He LOVES it but he can't get it where he lives (about a 1/2 hr. from me), so I'm going to the company store and buying him a few bottles in his favorite flavor. And of course, some Vday candy :) I think he'll like it and it's not a weird mushy thing either, since by Vday, we'll only have been dating a month and a half.

lostindc
01-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by pisces2473
Well, I think it's a little strange how someone chooses their first post to be something bordering on obnoxious.

Well that's a rough way to greet a new member to these boards. I think UofIowaGrad has a valid point (or at the very least it is not an obnoxious one).

UofIowaGrad
01-21-2004, 09:37 PM
Thanks lostindc-- you understand what I'm getting at.

I could care less who posts about having a signifcant other--in fact I'm happy that you met someone Jen. It's about time.

However, I wanted to point out how quickly you were to judge someone else. I don't have a girlfriend right now and could think your V-Day and Anniversary posts were obnoxious. Maybe I felt that you were bragging to the whole group about finally having a boyfriend (like you mentioned in the engagement post) - throwing it in the faces of us who don't have someone for V-day.

I was just going through some old posts and saw how rude you were to that guy who got engaged and wanted to point out how quickly you were to judge. It just seemed that everyone had something positive to say except pisces.

FYI-- I have been checking this site out for awhile, and while my first posts were a little rough I plan on offering my help whenever possible. I am going through a QLC at 27 and am looking for support. I think everyone here has a lot to offer, but at the same time I have no tolerance for people who are obnoxious or ignorant.

Thanks for listening.

--David

pisces2473
01-21-2004, 11:18 PM
LostinDC--no. That's not rough. Addressing ONE member for a post they made a LONG time ago is a little weird.

UofIowa--if you want to address something I may have said, please do it in a PM. I'm not the ONLY one around here who talks about their SO. Example--Katie (KLO) has been making similar comments and had been complaining about not meeting anyone. Now she has.

I think you posting something like that to the site about me is rude.

lostindc
01-22-2004, 06:56 PM
At the risk of being ostracized from these boards . . .

I think telling a new poster to "MYOB" is a rough way to greet him after his first post. These are public boards after all and the poster was just making an observation based on what has been previously posted on these boards.

paperjam1015
01-22-2004, 08:38 PM
Ok kids...settle down in here....

Let's look at the lesson we can all learn from this...

If you complain on the board about not having a significant other...you get one with in a month!

Sounds like a good system to me!

:D

klo1335
01-23-2004, 08:05 AM
hahaha, that was really funny :) Wouldn't it be fun to test the theory? Any suggestions paper?

lostindc
01-25-2004, 09:30 AM
Now a scientific experiment to test that theory:

Guess What Guess What!?!?!?!?!?!
I'm still single.
And tired of it.

Well it looks like valentine's day this year will be another "hallmark" holiday that I won't have to worry about doing anything for.

Now an attempt to influence the results of this experiment:

Are there any single/unattached twenty-something women in the DC area out there? Anyone know of any?

paperjam1015
01-25-2004, 11:06 AM
This morning I awoke to gently falling snow. A warm body lying next to me, gently breathing in my ear. Soft kisses on my cheek.

Then I realized my dog just wanted me to get my ass out of bed and give him breakfast. :googly:

I am officially registering my complaint that I am single. I expect results by 2/25.

:twisted:

Crossroads
01-25-2004, 06:57 PM
I third that! I'm hereby registering my complaint of being single. Results expected to have boyfriend by 02/25/04, as well. And since I have the opportunity to set it in writing, I'll be picky about it - not a crappy boyfriend like I've had in the past. A good boyfriend that treats me well (and vice versa, of course) and we stay together hopefully long term. :)