PDA

View Full Version : Alec Baldwin Phone Call

AshleyJordan
04-20-2007, 07:53 AM
What a fucking verbally abusive ass the way he spoke to his daughter! I feel even worse for her now having that dirty laundry aired all over the media.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 07:54 AM
LOL I thought you were gonna post that you had to call him for your work.

AshleyJordan
04-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Meh. Let him try to talk to me that way. I'll pm you the biggest celeb we're trying to solicit right now, s/he's kind of funny but not exactly A-list, IMHO.

Anyhoo, I'm listening to the radio this morning and that filth slithered its way onto the airwaves. What a fuck.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 08:33 AM
We don't really know the whole story, but it does pretty much seem like there's never an appropriate time to call your 12 year old daughter a pig. Unless you catch her going down on Dennis Franz in the back seat of your Bentley. Then it might be justified.

Ciderhillnh
04-20-2007, 08:35 AM
Sorry..but well he is a parent and when a parent gets pissed they can fly off the handle....which he seems to have done here.

I think he spoke to her as an angry parent would, and things will calm down and they will repair their relationship just as any family does.

He really adores his children, so I think this was just an instance of his being pissed and letting his anger fly.

Tell me that no ones parents here got so pissed about something that they flew off then handle........

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 08:40 AM
My parents have flown off the handle, but I don't think they've ever said anything that rude.

It doesn't matter if people have said this stuff to their kids...it still doesn't make it right. Everyone speeds, that's still breaking the law of the speed limit.

Ciderhillnh
04-20-2007, 08:49 AM
People get pissed, they get angry, they say things.

You cant tell me that there arent non-famous parents out there who get pissed at their kids and say the same type of things, the only reason we are hearing about it is because its Alec Baldwin.

So he yelled at his kid, he was pissed, Im sure he will fly out there, talk to her, apologize for flipping out and things will be fine, just as they are in most families when a parent flies off the handle and then comes to their senses.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Again: IT STILL DOESN'T MAKE IT RIGHT.

You really can't tell me that he was in the wrong? Regardless of his anger? Yes, we all say things in the moment of anger, but it's NEVER right.

Ciderhillnh
04-20-2007, 09:03 AM
He is the parent, he asked that she answer her phone when he calls, and she didnt.

She disobeyed him, and thus deserves to be scolded/yelled at.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 09:03 AM
I've got no problem with him flying off the handle and speaking to her like that, until he called her a pig. Why would you say that to a 12 year old girl? I'd still like to know the whole story though.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 09:04 AM
Scolded and what he said, in my book, are two completely different things.

But hey, if you think it's fine to call your kid a pig, and other nasty comments, fine. It's not right to call anyone those things, nevermind a 12 yr old who's stuck in a bi-coastal, messy, divorce dispute.

I'm not surprised you're defending Alec Baldwin. :rolleyes:

Ciderhillnh
04-20-2007, 09:08 AM
Its also the fact that this should NOT be public knowledge, it was a private cell phone call.....

Yeah he called her a pig, but I bet it was in ANGER and he didnt mean it...which is where the apology will come in.

We have ALL said things we didnt mean when angry, then feel bad and apologize because we truely feel sorry that we said it.

And with that apology, things are repaired.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 09:09 AM
Kim Jong Ill: "Herro Arec Bardwin!"

meatwad
04-20-2007, 09:09 AM
And with that apology, things are repaired.

MAGIC!!!!

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
Oh yes, because the words "I'm sorry" just magically repair all hurt and pain. We've all been 12 years old, some of us have been 12 and in the midst of a divorce. No one, especially not a 12 yr old, deserves to be called that...esp. not by a parent. Verbal abuse is just as damaging as any other form of abuse. A close friend of mine no longer speaks to her father...after 28 yrs of his verbal abuse, she had enough and cut all ties.

I'm sure she'd say that it hurts, just as much as it would had he beat her for 28 yrs.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
LOL Meat, cross post w/ the magic.

But what's w/ the Kim Jong Il thing?

Ciderhillnh
04-20-2007, 09:13 AM
If you give an apology, and the person says it accepted, it means you forgive them for what happened.

If your not ready to accept and forgive and move on, then you refuse the apology (which can be done)

The point is, that you stop holding a grudge and move on from that moment. Thats what apologies do.

Ive had things done where someone apologized, and I didnt accept....my perogative.

Due to it being a father daughter relationship, Im pretty sure that Alec Baldwin feels badly about what transpired (he always talkes about his adoration for his kids and is a proud Dad)-----bet when he flies out today, he will talk with his daughter have a father daughter moment with her, and will sincerely apologize.

But really----its none of our business anyway. its his kid, his family...and a PRIVATE phone call. I hate the entertainment media.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 09:16 AM
Then why are you replying to this thread?

Right Cider, everything is wiped clean. Riiiiiight. You really believe that someone is sorry just because they use those words? Please go use your psychobabble somewhere else, and stop trying to defend abusers.

And btw, he only has one kid. And his ex-wife leaked the call to the media.

arrow
04-20-2007, 09:18 AM
I think it sucks that he said it, but there was absolutely no reason for it to be in the media at all. Not very classy move on either parents' part. Damn celebrities.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 09:18 AM
LOL Meat, cross post w/ the magic.

But what's w/ the Kim Jong Il thing?

In the Team America movie, Kim Jong Il partnered up with the Film Actor's Guild to take over the world. Alec Baldwin was the president of the F.A.G.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 09:20 AM
I think it sucks that he said it, but there was absolutely no reason for it to be in the media at all. Not very classy move on either parents' part. Damn celebrities.

That's the other part of the story I heard this morning. There's a court order against certain things being talked about in public until after the divorce is finalized and this phone call being leaked to the media violates that. If it comes out that Kim Bassinger was involved in the release of the order, it's probably going to hurt her case as much as it might his.

Ciderhillnh
04-20-2007, 09:21 AM
Then please explain to me what the purpose of an apology is if not to wipe the slate clean.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 09:22 AM
In the Team America movie, Kim Jong Il partnered up with the Film Actor's Guild to take over the world. Alec Baldwin was the president of the F.A.G.
I forgot about that! LMAO

Loved that movie.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Then please explain to me what the purpose of an apology is if not to wipe the slate clean.

To show you're sorry and to try to work through making it all right again. But it's not like an on off switch.

beeblebrox
04-20-2007, 09:46 AM
I forgot about that! LMAO

Loved that movie.

"I can't outact Alec Baldwin." I loved that movie too. He's been known to hotheaded for years in this custody dispute. Nothing's really new here other than an inappropriate phone call. I love Alec Baldwin on 30 Rock knowing that he's a jerk and probably always will be.

AshleyJordan
04-20-2007, 09:48 AM
oh no, i agree that it's part of his whole schtick or whatever. mainly what i'm posting about is that i think what he said is disgusting, no matter how you look at it, and that i was even more disgusted to just have it blasting all over the radio, unexpectedly, this morning.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 10:47 AM
That's the other part of the story I heard this morning. There's a court order against certain things being talked about in public until after the divorce is finalized and this phone call being leaked to the media violates that. If it comes out that Kim Bassinger was involved in the release of the order, it's probably going to hurt her case as much as it might his.
Moreso. I'm having a hard time figuring out which is the worse parent...assuming it WAS her that released it, which I wouldnt doubt.

EDIT: I based my comment about what I heard the DJ say about what Baldwin said rather than hearing it for myself. Now that I've heard it, I'm not as willing to say that he's a bad parent rather than someone who let his anger get the best of him.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Holy shit, this thread is unbefreakinglievable.

Can somebody please start threads about necrophilia, shitting on the floor at your workplace, and gouging out one's own eyeballs, because it's Friday, and I'd really like to see certain posters' attempts at devil's advocating passionately in favor of each of those topics, as well, just for entertainment's sake.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 10:58 AM

Can somebody please start threads about necrophilia, shitting on the floor at your workplace, and gouging out one's own eyeballs, because it's Friday, and I'd really like to see certain posters' attempts at devil's advocating passionately in favor of each of those topics, as well, just for entertainment's sake.

Hey baby. It's 420. Reeelaaaaaaax. :cool: We jammin'. Oooh yay!

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 11:35 AM
Hey baby. It's 420. Reeelaaaaaaax. :cool: We jammin'. Oooh yay!
Oooh let's go to Cider's BF's apartment. I'm SURE they'll be smokin' it up toooooniiiiiiight!!!!!

AshleyJordan
04-20-2007, 12:05 PM

I agree. I really didn't anticipate that this thread was going to become a big tome on how verbal abuse is OK/excusable, and if there are further comments that belabor that point I'm going to ask that this thread get locked.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 12:08 PM
I'll have no problem locking it. I agree with both Wordsmith and Ashley.

AshleyJordan
04-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Let's wait and see. . . now that we've tried to at least get it "back on track," and requested that those comments stop, maybe this will either return to the original topic, or just cut off after 3 pages. I dont' want to advocate lockign it unless I feel it's absolutely necessary.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 12:23 PM
Oh most definitely.

I think it was bad of Kim to leak it to the press. It's damaging to her case or whatever's going on btwn her and Alec.

AshleyJordan
04-20-2007, 12:24 PM
It's horrible that she did that, yes. Classic case of both of them putting the child in the middle. I feel so bad for the daughter. . .the entire experience must be very traumatic for her.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 12:25 PM
It's horrible that she did that, yes. Classic case of both of them putting the child in the middle. I feel so bad for the daughter. . .the entire experience must be very traumatic for her.
Both parents seem equally messed up, in their handling of this case. I hope they are not horrid to her all of the time.

Feverish
04-20-2007, 12:29 PM
I heard the entire tape this morning. I understand his disappointment with his daughter but he crossed the line with "pig" and "brainless." No 11 year old deserves that treatment, even if she is a spoiled Hollywood child.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Really shitty of Alec to make the comments, really shitty of Kim to go public with the info. Poor kid.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Having thought about it, I think having it put all over the radio is much worse than the scolding itself. Even tho it is crossing a line, there are far worse things to be called than "pig."

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 12:48 PM
I think a parent calling a child a pig is pretty rotten.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Ya but she's 12. I mean, she's probably been called and called people worse things in school. Again, not that its not bad, but is it really as bad as we're making it out to be?

meatwad
04-20-2007, 12:51 PM
Having thought about it, I think having it put all over the radio is much worse than the scolding itself. Even tho it is crossing a line, there are far worse things to be called than "pig."

Yeah, but you really shouldn't talk to a kid like that. Especially a girl her age. You tell her you're pissed and you're disappointed and you yell holy hell from the top of your lungs if you need to get the point across, insulting the kid is just childish and stooping down to a lower level than the parent should be. It's just a cheap shot to hurt her feelings that has nothing to do with her behavior.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Ya but she's 12. I mean, she's probably been called and called people worse things in school. Again, not that its not bad, but is it really as bad as we're making it out to be?
But from YOUR PARENT????? Completely different than when it's your peers.

AshleyJordan
04-20-2007, 12:52 PM
she also didn't really do anything wrong. she wasn't able to pick up a phone call. it's not like she got in a fight or stole or something.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 12:53 PM
she also didn't really do anything wrong. she wasn't able to pick up a phone call. it's not like she got in a fight or stole or something.
Apparently, instead of visitation, he has scheduled phone calls with her. That's her mother's (or the nanny's) fault for not making sure she made her call.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 12:55 PM
Well I dont know whether she did anything wrong or not. I agree that it was a cheap shot. Thats exactly what it sounded like to me.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 12:59 PM

We don't know the whole story though. He was pretty pissed, so it could be the latest in a long string of fuckups on her part. Or he could just be insane. It is Alec Baldwin.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 01:00 PM

I'm not sure you'll agree, but speaking from personal perspective, I could be called a TON of far worse things by my peers and have it roll off me more than being cut down by a parent. I know dynamics are different, but when a parent berates and makes cutting remarks, it's so much different than when it comes from some other source. But maybe that's just me, and I put far more stock in how my parents treated me than how anybody else did. What a parent, who's supposed to care for you, says to you is far more damaging, IMO.

If some punk ass kid at my school when I was that age had called me ugly, eh, big deal, it would hurt in the moment, but no big deal in the long run, hey, screw that kid. If my MOM or DAD called me ugly? Totally different. I'd have been crushed. Cruelty from peers, meh. Cruelty from family? Awful.

winneythepooh7
04-20-2007, 01:01 PM
OK, this may be a stupid statement, but I am going to make it anyways:

How "real" do we even know this phone call was/is? I mean, when it comes to celebrities, a lot of things are made up or embellished all of the time. Just throwing this out there for discussion's sake.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 01:02 PM
OK, this may be a stupid statement, but I am going to make it anyways:

How "real" do we even know this phone call was/is? I mean, when it comes to celebrities, a lot of things are made up or embellished all of the time. Just throwing this out there for discussion's sake.
Good point.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 01:04 PM
He admitted it was genuine already and said he was working with his daughter to get past it.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 01:07 PM
He admitted it was genuine already and said he was working with his daughter to get past it.
On/off switch?

and1grad
04-20-2007, 01:10 PM
It seemed like people were focusing on him calling her a "pig" rather than the fact that he was cutting her down. That was my point with the she's been called worse stuff. That said, its more damaging from a parent but I still think it might be a little overblown to throw him under the bus for it.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 01:10 PM
On/off switch?
So neither of your parents have ever made a mistake that you forgave them for?

SmilesSoSweet
04-20-2007, 01:11 PM
I'm not sure you'll agree, but speaking from personal perspective, I could be called a TON of far worse things by my peers and have it roll off me more than being cut down by a parent. I know dynamics are different, but when a parent berates and makes cutting remarks, it's so much different than when it comes from some other source. But maybe that's just me, and I put far more stock in how my parents treated me than how anybody else did. What a parent, who's supposed to care for you, says to you is far more damaging, IMO.

If some punk ass kid at my school when I was that age had called me ugly, eh, big deal, it would hurt in the moment, but no big deal in the long run, hey, screw that kid. If my MOM or DAD called me ugly? Totally different. I'd have been crushed. Cruelty from peers, meh. Cruelty from family? Awful.

I have to agree. Being a 12 year old girl is tough already (peer pressure to be thin, pretty, etc.) And then to have your own father call you a pig? That's just too much.

I've been called fat by my parents and other family members when I was a pre-teen. It wasn't something I could have just easily brush off and forget about. I'm still having issues with it now.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 01:12 PM
Oh sure, yes, I have...but some people were making it sound like it was a simple 1-2-3 thing, and allllll is magically deliciously forgiven and all is better.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 01:14 PM

Sure. And vice versa. But it was brought up earlier that when someone apologizes and the other person says it's forgiven, there's usually a small period of time where it still bothers you. It's rarely like, "I forgive you." and magically everything is perfect and the way it was before.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 01:16 PM
Hey Meat, quit copying me....YOU PIG!

and1grad
04-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Well I'm not the person who said it would be easy. I dont know if anything about raising kids is easy.

meatwad
04-20-2007, 01:43 PM
Hey Meat, quit copying me....YOU PIG!

You're thinking of the other white Meat.

pisces2473
04-20-2007, 01:46 PM
You're thinking of the other white Meat.
So you're....chicken?

meatwad
04-20-2007, 02:34 PM
So you're....chicken?

Nope. But I am finger lickin' good. :eek:

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 02:39 PM
It seemed like people were focusing on him calling her a "pig" rather than the fact that he was cutting her down. That was my point with the she's been called worse stuff. That said, its more damaging from a parent but I still think it might be a little overblown to throw him under the bus for it.

Oh, it's definitely the cutting down that is disturbing. Bad form, Alec.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 02:42 PM
I have to agree. Being a 12 year old girl is tough already (peer pressure to be thin, pretty, etc.) And then to have your own father call you a pig? That's just too much.

I've been called fat by my parents and other family members when I was a pre-teen. It wasn't something I could have just easily brush off and forget about. I'm still having issues with it now.

Absolutely. I can't even begin to describe the way my brother's calling me fat (when I wasn't, in fact, overweight, NOT that it would have been justifiable had I been) repeatedly when we were kids/teens has damaged our relationship, even years later.

spokes
04-20-2007, 06:11 PM
i beleive that his addictions are to blame for this. alternatively it is possible that the effects of multiple doses of prescriptions drugs could also be to blame (is it possible that eh had one to many schwety balls to eat).

either way his PR people will clarify why he went off like this and we will all owe him an apology - including his rotten spoiled brat of a kid and his miserable ex-wife who both seem bent to make his life miserable

Irish79
04-20-2007, 06:14 PM
I think it's unbelievable that people could defend what Alec said to his daughter - it is completely unacceptable! If my dad ever said something like that to me, I would never get over it. His daughter has probably been treated like this by him for a long time, and that makes me sad - she will likely have issues over this treatment for years to come, and her future relationships with men will likely be affected by her father's treatment of her.

This was actually on our local news here tonight, and the news anchor said after the clip "well, I guess he won't be getting custody of her now"! I wanted to stand up and clap because it is rare that you see a newsperson make a statement like that, but the tape was so disgusting that even she couldn't hide her opinion of Alec.

And here's something to think about - Kim may have been trying to protect her daughter from future abuse - she knows better than anyone else about his treatment of her and their daughter, and maybe this is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't agree with the tape being released to the general public, but I do agree that if this is an abusive pattern, she may have felt the need to give others a glimpse into the treatment she and her daughter are subjected to.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 06:22 PM
either way his PR people will clarify why he went off like this and we will all owe him an apology - including his rotten spoiled brat of a kid and his miserable ex-wife who both seem bent to make his life miserable

He's basically aready done that with his, I guess, apology.

spokes
04-20-2007, 06:24 PM
i beleive that his addictions are to blame for this. alternatively it is possible that the effects of multiple doses of prescriptions drugs could also be to blame (is it possible that eh had one to many schwety balls to eat).

i should note that before anyone goes off on me about calling little ireland a brat - i was only joking.

obviously alec is the horse's butt here and he needs to sort out his issues.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 06:31 PM
No, I got that it was tongue in cheek.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 07:14 PM
And here's something to think about - Kim may have been trying to protect her daughter from future abuse - she knows better than anyone else about his treatment of her and their daughter, and maybe this is only the tip of the iceberg. I don't agree with the tape being released to the general public, but I do agree that if this is an abusive pattern, she may have felt the need to give others a glimpse into the treatment she and her daughter are subjected to.
Sorry but that dog wont hunt. There's no way you can justify her leaking it to the PUBLIC as any kind of regard for her daughter. There's a HUGE difference b/w giving that recording to a judge and sending it Access Hollywood or wherever she sent it.

Irish79
04-20-2007, 07:53 PM
I was thinking about this more, and I wonder, does anyone know for sure that Kim was the one who leaked the tape to the media? And I did say that I don't think it is right if she is responsible for leaking it to the media. I do think it has served a purpose to shed light on an verbally abusive man who should not have custody of a 12 year old child, so hopefully some good will come of it. However, I feel sorry for his daughter who has been put in the middle of all of this - she will likely suffer for years over the crap that her parents have put her through - that's a shame.

Bman120
04-20-2007, 08:13 PM

Absolutely agree. I've had a parent go off and be very insulting and it was like a knife to the soul. And the wound does not heal easily. :(

No matter what the circumstances, he should not have called her that. If he wants to yell, thats one thing but to be that insulting to your own child? That's unacceptable.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 09:02 PM
No matter what the circumstances, he should not have called her that. If he wants to yell, thats one thing but to be that insulting to your own child? That's unacceptable.
But is it enough to characterize the guy as a bad parent? To me, to do that is to just be reactionary.

Bman120
04-20-2007, 09:09 PM
But is it enough to characterize the guy as a bad parent? To me, to do that is to just be reactionary.

To me, the fact that he had it in him to do what he did suggests he is a bad parent. If he was under some influence or has some kind of disorder and this is the first time it happened, I might give his parenting skills some slack. But I havent heard anything saying he wasnt himself when he did this. That's why I think he's a bad parent.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 09:12 PM
I dont see it as him being a bad parent rather than one who flew off the handle and said something he shouldnt have. I dont think he needs to be on some kind of meds nor am I sure it needs to have been the first time. If he habitually does that, thats a problem.

She was thin in the only pic I've seen.

Bman120
04-20-2007, 09:16 PM
Its obvious that his ex-wife manipulated the daughter to disrespect her father in such a way that he just snapped, he lost it.

And if he called his wife those things, I'd say it wouldnt be enough on its own to call him a bad father. A bad person yes but his parenting skills would be unsure.

Obviously he cares about his daughter or he wouldn't have gotten as angry as he did because he wasn't able to reach her. The fact that he was going to fly across the country to teach her a lesson...shows a level of committment that might easily have been absent.

Caring about a kid doesnt make you a good father automatically. You have to show it. And treat your child with some respect. As for that lesson, the way he was talking, I dont think that's a lesson she should be on the recieving end of.

The 'pig' comment would be very hurtful if she was indeed obese or overweight. I don't know what the daughter looks like...but if she was a thin, pretty girl...calling her a pig would have then an entirely different meaning. It would then refer to her actions...and a father has a right to comment on the irresponsible actions of his child.

To a guy maybe. If someone said that to me I wouldnt really care. But to a woman, its totally different. They do care about these things and thin or not, it can really upset some. I don't know if it did to her or not but he had no business saying it no matter what.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 09:31 PM
The 'pig' comment would be very hurtful if she was indeed obese or overweight. I don't know what the daughter looks like...but if she was a thin, pretty girl...calling her a pig would have then an entirely different meaning. It would then refer to her actions...and a father has a right to comment on the irresponsible actions of his child.

No. I grew up with a brother calling me names, and I WASN'T overweight, I was a thin, pretty girl. It still sucks. It's extremely hurtful.

It also doesn't matter what the meaning was. There is NO reason to call a child that name no matter WHAT you mean by it. Think your child is disrespectful? Say that. Name-calling? From a parent? That's abusive. No parent worth anything should EVER resort to name-calling. NO excuse.

Irish79
04-20-2007, 09:45 PM
No. I grew up with a brother calling me names, and I WASN'T overweight, I was a thin, pretty girl. It still sucks. It's extremely hurtful.

It also doesn't matter what the meaning was. There is NO reason to call a child that name no matter WHAT you mean by it. Think your child is disrespectful? Say that. Name-calling? From a parent? That's abusive. No parent worth anything should EVER resort to name-calling. NO excuse.

I completely agree with this - there is no excuse for his behavior. And whoever said that his threat to fly over to "teach her a lesson" showed a level of committment and love for her is way off base. If that's the case then one could say that stalkers and physically abusive husbands also have a level of commitment that demonstrates their "love" for the victim- ridiculous.

Chameleon
04-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm not playing devil's advocate... but I sincerely think Alec Baldwin is the victim here. Its obvious that his ex-wife manipulated the daughter to disrespect her father in such a way that he just snapped, he lost it.
Wow. This is the same kind of logic people used to justify beating up their spouses and kids. Clearly, they drove him to it and he's just a hapless victim. :rolleyes:

Irish79
04-20-2007, 10:11 PM
Look, I'm not saying it was a good thing. But when you hear a guy get so angry because his daughter won't answer his calls, I should think you'd throw a little sympathy his way.

Come again? The only person I have sympathy for is his daughter.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 10:19 PM
A brother taunting you with names is entirely different. I'm sure Alec Baldwin doesn't routinely call his daughter a pig. He wasn't taunting her for his own amusement. Clearly he was having something of a tantrum because of the conspiratorial actions of her mother and herself.

And yet, despite his rage, the WORST insult that he could come up with was to call her a pig....which, as I stated in an earlier post, is simply another way of saying she's 'spoiled rotten'. And she probably is.

Don't forget, you can't compare this girl's childhood life to yours. She's no innocent kid from the midwest...she's a Hollywood kid...think Paris Hilton, or Nicole Ritchie...these kids are spoiled and mature way beyond their years. Think of the entitlement these kids grow up with.

Look, I'm not saying it was a good thing. But when you hear a guy get so angry because his daughter won't answer his calls, I should think you'd throw a little sympathy his way.

You're missing my point, which has nothing to do with being a spoiled child of one-time Hollywood royalty or not. Fact is, there is NO WAY it's EVER good parenting to CALL YOUR CHILD CRUEL NAMES. As an adult, that's inexcusable. I guarantee you that if I ever have a spouse and children, and my husband ever thinks he's gonna disclipline through name-calling, I will be on him like stink on shit.

My example came from the fact that commentary was being made that it's somehow less hurtful if the names being hurled at you aren't true. It also was brought up to drive home the point that the words of family, who are supposed to care about and take care of you and be your champion, do bad damage to kids. Even spoiled rich kids, yes.

And you don't know what Alec Baldwin does or doesn't routinely call his kid, either, and nobody else who's not him, the kid, or her mom does, either, most likely.

Chameleon
04-20-2007, 10:26 PM
No doubt, when you divorce your future husband, you'll take pleasure driving him insane. And you will be completely innocent. Riiiiiiight.
And you know Basinger is taking pleasure in this how now? Project much?

and1grad
04-20-2007, 10:36 PM
And yet, despite his rage, the WORST insult that he could come up with was to call her a pig
I actually did notice that.

And you don't know what Alec Baldwin does or doesn't routinely call his kid, either, and nobody else who's not him, the kid, or her mom does, either, most likely.
Exactly. Thats why I'm having trouble defining this guy as a bad father.

wordsmith
04-20-2007, 10:52 PM
Bad father or not, though, I stand firm that it's NEVER cool to call a kid names, as an adult, and that that most assuredly IS shitting parenting in practice.

Bman120
04-20-2007, 10:57 PM
^ Exactly. Adults should know better than to do that to a child.

and1grad
04-20-2007, 11:00 PM
Still not enough to judge whether or not someone is a good father or should have custody of his own kid. The "leaking" of that voicemail is far more damning. Basinger's lawyer must be stupid to not know that.

wordsmith
04-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Oh, you misunderstand...I'm not commenting on custody...I'm just saying that that's an ultra shitty way to talk to your kid, and lousy parenting.

and1grad
04-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Oh, you misunderstand...I'm not commenting on custody...I'm just saying that that's an ultra shitty way to talk to your kid, and lousy parenting.
Not you but others.

Irish79
04-21-2007, 09:16 AM
Well, I would say that his chances of getting custody will definitely be hurt by this. Maybe I am jumping to conclusions, as And1 suggests, but I'd say that he has some anger management issues and this is probably not the first time his child or wife have been berated like this. If so, he needs to get help first, then maybe he can begin to heal the relationship with his daughter.

meatwad
04-21-2007, 09:20 AM
I wonder how fucked up baby Suri Cruise is going to end up?

and1grad
04-21-2007, 10:47 AM
I wonder how fucked up baby Suri Cruise is going to end up?
I'm calling it right now...she's gonna be the next Julia Roberts.