PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical situation.

meatwad
03-18-2008, 12:17 PM
If you were living alone and died in your house/apartment, whatever, how long do you think it would be before someone noticed you were missing?

Bsig84
03-18-2008, 12:36 PM
It would take probably about an hour or so. My boyfriend calls me a lot and would get really worried if I didnt call him right back.

Wow I feel really lucky right now.

Empressallie
03-18-2008, 12:46 PM
Depends on the day. If it were over the weekend then not till Monday. I would have a lot of voice messages from my bf and my Mom, but they don't live near me so they wouldn't necessarily know I died for a couple of days. My co-workers would pound down my door Monday afternoon after not hearing from me (I am very dependable at work) and discover me. Wow, this is morbid....

Bsig84
03-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Wow, this is morbid....

and AWESOME!

steph78
03-18-2008, 01:07 PM
Oh, wow, this just made me kind of sad to think about. I am married so of course my husband would probably find me when he got home the same day, but if we pretend that he's on an extended business trip somewhere, I don't think anyone would find me for quite some time! I am a stay-at-home mom and I'm still kind of new to this area so I'm friendly with my neighbors but not THAT close - I don't think they would think to check on me. I live seven hours from family, and while we usually call/e-mail on a daily basis, my mom has been overwhelmed with caring for my grandma lately and might not notice my silence for a few days. What would happen to my 15-month old daughter (who is still too small to open doors and can't reach the phone)?? Yikes.

Rage
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
I recently heard a news story of a lady who died and had been there for almost two years before she was discovered, wrapped huddled in blankets. Talk about a sad story ...

meatwad
03-18-2008, 01:38 PM
I'm guessing in the ball park of two weeks if I didn't have to work. Maybe 4 or 5 days if I did.

vinsanity
03-18-2008, 01:52 PM
If I didn't have roommates, the first ones who would notice woud be my coworkers, after 2-3 days.

Bocheezu
03-18-2008, 02:21 PM
I thought about this once after I nearly cut my pinkie off trimming a hedge. I was bleeding a lot and I started getting dizzy and there was literally no one around anywhere. Which was a weird feeling for me, because it was the first time I seriously hurt myself since being on my own, and beforehand it never really dawned on me that, hey, guess what, mom's not here to take you to the hospital if you get hurt.

Either way, if I dropped dead, my workplace would be on the prowl pretty quickly (by the next workday). I've never called in sick and I'm sure they'd wonder where I was.

Krishna
03-18-2008, 03:30 PM
I thought about this a couple years ago when my parents were out of the country and my boyfriend was away for work. In college, it would have taken my roommates about 2-3 days to figure things out, though my teammates would have beat down the door when I didn't show up for my morning workout. These days my boyfriend would probably come looking for me within a day if I didn't return his phone calls. :)

shadeofgreen
03-18-2008, 03:42 PM
I'm frequently late for work, but if I'm going to be seriously late or out altogether, I call. So on a workday someone would call, but another day would probably go by before they'd really start digging to find out where I was.

Assuming I was unemployed or something, I don't know. My boyfriend and I don't talk on the phone every day (or ever, really...) but we get together three or four times a week, so he'd probably figure it out pretty quickly. Even if we had no plans to get together, we usually text or email or something on a daily basis, so he'd probably start to wonder after a day or so, too.

I see my family once or twice a week because I mooch off their 24 laundry facilities. But if there's nothing special going on, I rarely talk to them on the phone or see them, so it'd probably be a week or two before they'd notice and start to worry.

All my friends are long-distance, and we pretty much communicate exclusively by email, IM, blogs, facebook, etc. Soo...after a few weeks they might wonder why I hadn't logged on in a long time, but I'm not sure they'd worry. Huh. Now I'm sad.

And my neighbors, well, I don't know any of them, and there's already a whole separate thread about how my apartment smells bad anyway... I wonder if I have a decaying ex-neighbor....

Rusalka
03-18-2008, 05:48 PM
Wow, this is the kind of topic I always wonder about, but would hesitate to bring up in conversation, in case people thought I was certifiable or something

Hmm, if it were a workday I think the firm would be on to it quite soon. They are good at things like that. I have nice coworkers who would definitely get worried. Weekends - not sure, my roommates wouldn't check up (we have separate lives and we all lock our doors). If nobody called me, maybe 3 days.

On really bad days, I fantasise about going somewhere really remote, like the Siberian taiga, or the rugged mountains of Bosnia, and ... disappearing. Just to see if anyone would notice ... and on my worst days, I convince myself that they wouldn't. :(

koolkat1980
03-18-2008, 07:43 PM
Probably until....my corpse stinks the whole neighbourhood up and the smell's SO potent someone calls the cops!

I've heard of stories like this in Australia as well. So sad.

Erm, wat a morbid job the poor police have! Nasty!

Well not really...lucky I have my parents around

spiritedaway
03-18-2008, 08:55 PM
Such a morbid thought. But I'm guessing it's probably a day. My family and I are close. Even my place is just 25 miles from home, which isn't too far (45 min-1 hr). And if I don't show up for work without calling in (and I'm reliable person), my boss is going to know that something's up.

and1grad
03-18-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm sure posters would notice that their favorite moderator wasnt around. ;)

MLMaestro
03-19-2008, 06:14 AM
It may take three to five days I guess. 'Cos I am doing attachment now, my boss will start to wonder where I am as I have not missed a day of work so far. :p

hoodie
03-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Not more than 2 or 3 days. I talk to my parents fairly frequently and they'd come looking for me if I didn't return calls for over 24 hours.