PDA

View Full Version : Sleep too much

stephly21
07-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Does anyone else have the same problem I do? I seem to sleep way too much. I can come home from work and if I am bored I will lay down on the couch and can be out all night. I find I can fall asleep during a car ride, on my lunch break or anytime really when I have idle time. I am a very active person and am not overweight, plus I know I am not depressed. I don't know what it is. I get enough sleep during the night. I find it annoying that if I have any extra time on my hands where I am not doing anything then I can be out! I try to always have something to do because if I don't then I will just sleep.

Anyone have this issue? If you do what do you do about it? I don't have all the sign of narcolepsy so I don't think I have that.

wordsmith
07-16-2008, 07:17 PM
Have your iron levels tested (finger-sticks, as opposed to CBCs, are fairly inexpensive). Anemia causes terrible fatigue, and is fairly common in women.

CoolAZN
07-16-2008, 07:45 PM
I think I am the opposite to this post; I sleep too little, like 5 hrs a day.
Then again, on my days off I sleep half a day and really do not get much done either =(
I tend to dose off here and there, like at work (sometimes I sleep walk) or behind the wheel...(really bad).
I guess this comes with my nature of occupation at the moment.
Plus, during warmer weather and longer sunshine kills my sleep...

Sorry, I do not have any suggestions at this time.

shinyleaf
07-16-2008, 08:13 PM
If you are lacking energy to boot (which it doesn't really sound like you are if you still want to go out etc) you might indeed be iron deficient. Or perhaps your thyroid is underactive (google hypothyroidism). Or you might even have a sleep disorder where you don't get enough REM or something. I don't know if there' s a sleep clinic at most teaching hospitals but the one here is always doing research and maybe one near you is too... they might test you for a sleep disorder for free (?)
Finally, needing to sleep all the time was one of my first signs of pregnancy, before I confirmed it with the pee-stick.

I got tired writing this post.

stephly21
07-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Thanks all for your help. I think I might be iron deficient if anything but I am going to look into it. It is funny b/c my SO has the total opposite problem, and that is sleep apnea/insomnia. We make an interesting couple!