PDA

View Full Version : In a rut

Helloitsmerach
07-31-2008, 05:15 PM
After graduating from undergrad two years ago, I went write to grad school and got a Master's in Writing because I thought it would be a marketable degree. I worked full time during my graduate program, and lived a very busy, full life with my own apartment and established life in a great city. When I got my Master's, I didn't know what to do, so I decided to move home with my parents while I look for jobs. It only took me two months to start getting interviews and I ended up getting three jobs and the one I opted for was for a proofreading/editing position working for the upcoming elections. The job is in a really cool place (you can wear jeans, they buy you dinner) but not great. There isn't a lot to do. I enjoy doing the work when I get it but it seldom comes. The hours are very undefined too and I feel so insignificant and bored. The good news is is that it only goes until the end of October! So I plan to look for other jobs in the meantime. I just feel so stupid for taking a job in a support role with nothing to do. I regret not taking the other jobs that I got. Though I know I can't go back and need to stick it out, I wonder how to have a good attitude and I want to make sure that next time I get a really good, fulfilling job. I've been really sad the last three weeks and am having problems adjusting. Can anyone help me see the light at the end of the tunnel?

roulettefanatic
07-31-2008, 11:39 PM
hey, well from my point of view the light at the end of the tunnel is that your current job only lasts until the election and then you are free to see what better suits your preferences for amount of work and hours....and this goes on your resume so that's a plus.....i think it's cool that your job has something to do with the election, although i don't know what exactly.....i wish i could find something that i'm even remotely interested in, the work i do now bores me to tears literally and there are so many more exciting, important things to do, but oh well, for now this is it.....if you're bored though, you should be happy to be free in a few months....good luck, with a Master's you should definitely have some good options.....i know it's hard to have a good attitude and trust me, i'm not the one to give advice on this but i take it a day at a time and by the end of it, you learn something about yourself and the way you handle unpleasant situations.....

erika36
08-01-2008, 12:26 PM
I have a question for you, because I don't know much about this college stuff; is writing/journalism the same thing? Is that what your degree is in?

Yeah, your situation is unfortunate, but the good news for you is it's almost over. I guess try to stick it out since you're getting paid, but that's just my opinion.